Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2024, 10:16   #31
BHPian

Re: eSIM: The new anxiety!

Couple of months back I got stuck too with the Esim. I had blocked Adhaar authentication on the esim my phone for Security purpose and forgot about it while upgrading to a new phone.
After resetting the old phone with the Esim , I could not activate a new Sim (physical or esim) as I could no longer receive a SMS. Here I was in a situation where I could not receive an OTP for Adhaar authentication as I did not have a Sim and I could not get a SIM as I could not get a Adhaar authentication. To make matters worse without OTP even the Adhaar linked phone can not be changed except at the main adhaar office.
At the main Adhaar office my Biometric was verified and my mobile number was changed to another number and with that I managed to restore back to normalcy.
Now I have decided to keep my Adhaar linked connection on a physical SIM and stay away from an ESIM.
adnaps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 13:17   #32
BANNED

This is scary to be in a situation like this.
What if someone is travelling abroad with no option to get a replacement SIM that fast?
There has to be a solution for this that too remote.
I was stuck in a similar situation last week when I converted my primary SIM into eSiM so I could have another number in my cell phone. Unfortunately the SIM I received from Airtel was a regular SIM with 3 trays and none of them is getting fixed in my iPhone 13's SIM tray reason? It needs to be a Micro SIM. Now I need to visit the store again physically to get it broken into a micro SIM so I could start to use it.
Old 10th June 2024, 13:26   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I can appreciate the issues with eSIMs but I like the simplicity and elegance of the concept!

My wife and I bought iPhone 14 Pro Maxs' from New Hampshire (0% GST) last year, and seamlessly setup our Airtel connections (1 for her but 3 for me) using eSIMs. That too on a patchy hotel WiFi in Manhattan! As these were US models, there was no scope for physical SIMs in the first place. SMS was blocked for 24 hours as per the TRAI rule but started working exactly after the deadline.

This time around, I installed a 4th eSIM this time from Matrix India, and it worked flawlessly (chose data only) in the East Coast region piggybacking on the strong T-Mobile network.

While Apple allows up to 8 eSIMs, only 2 can be active at any one time. Is this a regulatory or technical constraint? Would love to know from the experts.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 15:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Are you sure iPhone doesn’t support physical SIM? I am yet to see such phone! However to use second connection, one must have at least one eSIM.
For at least the last 2 generations, iPhones sold in the US don't come with a physical sim slot. If I am right, all other markets except China come with 1 physical sim and one esim. In China, it was sold with 2 sim slots.
Old 10th June 2024, 19:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post

When the normal SIM failed, I had no indication that it was a SIM fault. I had to take to the Airtel Store for them to tell me it is a SIM fault and then give me a new one. The usual SMS restrictions applied.
I have had the same experience with Airtel couple of times. The replacement SIM stopped working in couple of months.

You complain to Airtel and they have a standard response when did you last change the SIM? when the SIM hasn't been touched after installing it in the phone, why should it go bad? Jio SIM is working without issue for more years than Airtel SIM. Have had few of my friends with the same issue and they too had to replace their Airtel SIM

I felt it was a trick used by Airtel to sell SIM and charge 50 bucks per SIM for no fault of the customers. While I was in the store, saw almost 6 - 8 people in there with the same issue.
Old 13th June 2024, 10:55   #36
BHPian

This thread is a good example of "digital does not mean better". With a physical SIM, one can just pop it in a backup handset and continue as usual.

Going digital only is sometimes a very stupid policy. Our IT park canteen only allows ordering from an app and removed all physical billing counters. Now this app doesn't have UPI payment as an option. Imagine someone coming in for an interview at a company here! Want food or lunch ?Download an app first and then use your debit or credit card. So much inconvenience for a thing that will take 1 minute at the most.

I have found this to be a trend at many restaurants as well. Scan a QR code or send a message on WhatsApp to get a menu card. At one restaurant, you order online but pay with a physical bill!
isotope729 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 11:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am keen to understand the USP of eSIM.
What marketed advantage does it offer over physical SIM card - especially after reading this thread makes it imperative to filter out the real user advantage.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 13:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am keen to understand the USP of eSIM.
What marketed advantage does it offer over physical SIM card - especially after reading this thread makes it imperative to filter out the real user advantage.
Need for an Esim

1. Can have upto 8 eSim's on the phone which can be selected without physically changing the SIM's. (However only 2 can be live at any moment)

2. While travelling abroad, as one can buy , download and activate an ESim online and don't need to visit a store e.g "Airalo"

3. Not exactly an advantage but one has the opportunity to buy an iPhone from USA at a cost advantage in which case Esim is mandatory.

4. In the case of Iphone if one needs more than one Sim it has to be Esim's.

5. One can transfer an Esim from one phone to other even when both the phones are at different locations

Last edited by adnaps : 13th June 2024 at 13:20. Reason: Addition
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 13:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

I have a secondary phone where the physical SIM isn't being read properly. So physical SIM isn't exactly risk free.

On the contrary, I have an iPhone which has an Airtel eSIM since 2021 without any problem.
Old 13th June 2024, 16:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Need for an Esim

1. Can have upto 8 eSim's on the phone which can be selected without physically changing the SIM's. (However only 2 can be live at any moment)

2. While travelling abroad, as one can buy , download and activate an ESim online and don't need to visit a store e.g "Airalo"

3. Not exactly an advantage but one has the opportunity to buy an iPhone from USA at a cost advantage in which case Esim is mandatory.

4. In the case of Iphone if one needs more than one Sim it has to be Esim's.

5. One can transfer an Esim from one phone to other even when both the phones are at different locations
Thanks for your response, my thoughts:
1. Practically a dual sim. That is available with physical slot phones too
2. I believe most telecom companies have their outlets right inside the airports, but this is a point in favor of eSIM: I can buy a foreign country SIM sitting in India and create and install eSIM. (But can I actually do that?)
3 & 4. No comments, not really positives

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks