Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2024, 21:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Spam folder in Gmail | Do you bother checking it, or completely ignore?

Well, I think, Gmail inbox itself is like a spam folder, full of advertisements.
Look at the pic below, that's my Inbox. Am I missing a trick to send these to spam. Marking emails as spam is not helpful.

Spam folder in Gmail | Do you bother checking it, or completely ignore?-gmailinbox.png

I only check the actual spam folder when I am expecting an important email and don't see it in my inbox.
Old 4th May 2024, 23:25   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Google has a huge list of paid and trusted advertisers, whose two to three (sometimes three plus) mails are received every day. Some are at the top of the mailbox while a few cosy up many slots below to evade detection. We cannot block or unsubscribe these. Google acts as the school principal telling us what we can and cannot do. However, these can be deleted and they land in the Bin from where they can be deleted in a second or two. I just deleted 319 mails from the bin while texting here.

A next category of mails are the advertisers who have not paid Google, but we have used their services and they have stored our id to affix themselves and stick like a leech. Like Amazon, Flipkart, Indigo, Air India, Ease My Trip, Make My Trip and so on. The list is again huge. Again here we can't block or unsubscribe. Because again if we use their services like for instance Indigo to book tickets, the e-tickets arrive on our mail id. If Indigo is blocked the tickets won't come and when we book maybe we forget that we had blocked it.

The next lot are spam mails where some still born mails land. Most are unknown and unseen. I just deleted 23 in one second while texting now. These need to be cleaned regularly or else someday some sender could find mails to the mailbox bouncing, owing to the reason "mailbox is full".

Hence, with all this grand advertisers ambience in our mailboxes we many a time are unable to locate a genuine mail sent by a relative, friend or some entity. Google, the school principal could also make a rule that advertisements cannot be deleted for a month, if pressurised by its dearest advertisers. Such a day may dawn soon, going by the way things seem to move.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th May 2024 at 23:40.
Old 5th May 2024, 08:59   #33
BANNED

I have configured my Gmail on my official system as well as cell phone too and religiously every day (a few times) I check my emails.
Again I am into HR Operations and our job usually requires our outlooks to be online 24/7 officially hence the habit.
I even have logged in my wife's primary ID in my system and I take care of her emails too spams included .
Rohitthebest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 09:12   #34

I check my spam folders very regularly. I also tend to use the unsubscribe option quite a bit to get rid of some these emails permanently. Of course, unsubscribe needs to made available by the organization sending these emails. The proper spam emails will not have this option.
Old 6th May 2024, 10:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.DSG View Post
The proper spam emails will not have this option.
Actually - sophisticated "proper spam" emails will have this option - it gives them a confirmation that the email address exists, is deliverable and most importantly - a human reads the messages there.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 10:58   #36
BHPian

I check the spam folder once in a day at least and then clean it. Few times genuine emails have also landed in there.
Old 7th May 2024, 15:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Gmail's and Hotmail/Outlooks spam detection works better, but Yahoomail's is excessive:
Many times, I have seen perfectly legitimate email (even after marking it "not spam") lurking in the spam folder.

As a rule, I check the spam at least once a month, who knows what goes into spam may be of use to me.
Old 7th May 2024, 18:03   #38
BHPian

I check the spam folder regularly and empty it regularly. Of Gmail and also of Yahoo.

While with the Gmail there is only 0.5% chance of an actual email being received in the Spam folder, this percentage with Yahoo is close to 50%.

It once so happened that a first-time client sent me his monthly GST details through Gmail, and I did not receive it. I checked the Spam folder and saw it there. It took me no time to understand that the sender's email ID was recently created and hence Gmail put it in Spam.

So yes. Gmail spams, deleted. Yahoo spams, restored to the Inbox.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks