Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2024, 01:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting a new SIM | Jio, Airtel or BSNL?

Jio...

Well, I didn't know that I could get a Jio sim from local shops. I thought they were only supplying direct or through limited outlets. I'm told I can. So I will. But...

I've been trying to get one from their site. I went through the online form twice before getting any response from them. Then got automated messages, and even a name/number who would visit that afternoon. Two days ago. We even spoke to the guy.

Now it's like a bad Uber day. Jio sending messages saying "We received a cancellation request."

Sheesh, Jio, all I want is a prepaid SIM, is it this difficult? Your service apparently sucks, right from the off.

Anyway, I want to see how the signal compares in places that I go to, including home. And a prepaid sim is a small cost.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 09:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I've been trying to get one from their site. I went through the online form twice before getting any response from them. Then got automated messages, and even a name/number who would visit that afternoon. Two days ago. We even spoke to the guy.

Now it's like a bad Uber day. Jio sending messages saying "We received a cancellation request."
Best solution is if you have an old/another no then port to Jio. Since you know the number it will be easy to remember and you will be able to get prepaid.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th March 2024 at 22:31. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
ACMerchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 10:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Jio...

Well, I didn't know that I could get a Jio sim from local shops. I thought they were only supplying direct or through limited outlets. I'm told I can. So I will. But...

Anyway, I want to see how the signal compares in places that I go to, including home. And a prepaid sim is a small cost.
My experience was quite different. Placed an online new SIM request on their app, got a callback in <30mts, SIM was delivered home in 3-4 hours.
Next time, needed a new eSIM for my tablet, same procedure, same timeline. Location- BLR. Not a fanboy, but yes both times it was seamless. Use their app, and not online site.

Placed Vodafone SIM request online (not sure how many use, but we do have a number) and they delivered by evening.
xotiq is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 20:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jio...

Better to get it from local shop. The person called me next day early morning itself after I placed an order online. There is no transparency on the charges when the person visit you to deliver/ activate the SIM. I was fleeced by charging around 300 rs extra by promising SIM activation for a year, where as there was no such option when I called customer care. Customer care said they cannot do anything as they have outsourced the SIM delivery to external agency. Raising complaint through twitter did not help. Just got the standard response and no response to follow ups.

Last time I got the Jio SIM by visiting Reliance Digital store in Phoenix mall, bangalore and it was very easy and transparent.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 9th March 2024 at 20:06.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 22:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Jio...

Sheesh, Jio, all I want is a prepaid SIM, is it this difficult? Your service apparently sucks, right from the off.

Any reason sir you want Jio only?
Old 10th March 2024, 00:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for responses.

I don't think they distribute through Reliance Digital any longer... Do they? I got the phone there a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Any reason sir you want Jio only?
Yes: I already have Airtel; and Vi sims.

My main number is currently with Vi. As they seem to be next in line for telecoms extinction, I'll port it away at some time. I don't think it's urgent (fingers crossed! I went through trying to port a number away from a fast-dying company with Airecell!). I want to see how Airtel and Jio compare in the localities where I spend time.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 22:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for responses.

I don't think they distribute through Reliance Digital any longer... Do they? I got the phone there a few weeks ago.

I want to see how Airtel and Jio compare in the localities where I spend time.
In our current residence, family uses Jio, Airtel, BSNL and Vodafone. All 4 providers have good coverage in our area. Jio and Airtel, with decent '5G'. Vodafone ironically has the highest speeds on 4G, easily 65-70Mbps, maybe due to hardly any users!! My obervation has been that Jio 5G speeds are higher on the top tier Samsung flagships compared to mid budget Xiaomi's and others.

FYI- if anyone is opting for online SIM request, please make sure to complete activation of the tariff plan on the spot, check for a range of plans which the rep can show you on his official Jio app, and you can confirm. There is also a e-PDF bill which is instantly generated and sent. Not a single penny extra, neither any upselling.

Last edited by xotiq : 10th March 2024 at 22:29.
xotiq is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 05:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
My main number is currently with Vi. As they seem to be next in line for telecoms extinction, I'll port it away at some time.
OT: What happens when VI goes extinct? All our numbers will stop working? Would't they at least hand over their services to some other company? Like a merger or an aquisition?
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 10:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
OT: What happens when VI goes extinct? All our numbers will stop working? Would't they at least hand over their services to some other company? Like a merger or an aquisition?
It had happened in the past where BPL was merged with Airtel (I had a BPL Number), number was retained. I don't think it will go blackout, some another rival will absorb it or someone will buy it, there are countless people using the Vi service, won't leave them in a lurch.
montsa007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 17:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
OT: What happens when VI goes extinct? All our numbers will stop working?
That is exactly what happened with Aircel. During the final days, we got occasional signal/service and had to jump for it to try to get a porting code. No other company absorbed, took over, or took on the numbers. It just died.

With so much depending on one number, the number that is linked to our ardhar card, this is a very dangerous potential situation.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 18:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
As they seem to be next in line for telecoms extinction, I'll port it away at some time. I don't think it's urgent (fingers crossed!
Government of India has 33% stake in VI. That makes it a remote possibility on the company going down under. But yeah never say never!

I remember in old days, you could switch your network by going to settings and selecting the network provider manually. Not sure if that's enabled for your circle and phone. Could give it a try.
warrioraks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 19:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
That is exactly what happened with Aircel. During the final days, we got occasional signal/service and had to jump for it to try to get a porting code. No other company absorbed, took over, or took on the numbers. It just died.
AFAIK number portability was not an option during the Aircel era and each service provider used to have their numbers starting from certain digits making them distinguished from others. For eg number starting with 94 used to be from BSNL, 98 used to be Airtel exclusive, 93 for Reliance CDMA exclusive and so on.

After introduction of number portability, I guess the numbers can still be ported to other service provider in case company dies.

But still preventative measures are better than waiting for the disaster.

I also have a VI number and my issue is very poor network service on it. So when looking onto other options, I found that we are left with either Airtel or Jio. I already have Airtel and my purpose of getting second number was to have alternative network option since Airtel also struggles at times. So I am only left with option of porting to Jio in case I decide to port.

Its not good for us to have monopoly of only two giants in the telecom sector. Atleast one decent govt sector service provider should have been there.
tbppjpr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 21:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
AFAIK number portability was not an option during the Aircel era ... ... ... After introduction of number portability, I guess the numbers can still be ported to other service provider in case company dies.
You are right about the days before portability. My wife used to know the different numbers, although I never did. The right to port, along with the procedure, was introduced before the death of Aircel. Thing is, one could never just turn up at another provider's door and say, take my number on: you needed a porting code from the previous provider. This is what I had to do in Aircel final days, when the service was very skimpy.

I don't know if people were able to recover their numbers after Aircel finally going off the, errm... air.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 00:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Government of India has 33% stake in VI. That makes it a remote possibility on the company going down under. But yeah never say never!
GoI owns what, ... 100% of BSNL? .... Yet they apparently have no problem letting it slowly die! :-)
meerkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 06:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
GoI owns what, ... 100% of BSNL? .... Yet they apparently have no problem letting it slowly die! :-)
Amd surprised why they let BSNL die and prop up Jio in their place. Instead they should have sold BSNL to Reliance and probably coerced VI to sell themselves to Adani. We would have had at least 3 players to choose from.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks