Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2024, 12:15   #1
BHPian

Implications of getting a laptop from abroad

Hi,

I intend to purchase a laptop for personal use from UAE and bring it back with me to India. With regards to the same, I was wondering:
  1. What are the warranty implications? Will the service centre in India accept the laptop for any repairs / replacement in case of an unfortunate event?
  2. What are the customs implications? Will I need to pay customs duty if I am carrying the laptop on my person with an additional work laptop that is provided by office?
  3. Is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Gotchas, etc.?
Looking forward to your inputs / ideas / suggestions on the same.

PS: The laptop that I'm eyeing is an HP Envy 16 (i9, 16gigs, RTX-4060) which is currently not available in India.
sankdadevil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 18:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Implications of getting a laptop from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankdadevil View Post
I intend to purchase a laptop for personal use from UAE and bring it back with me to India. With regards to the same, I was wondering
1. Purchase global warranty (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpr01266)
2. Refer this thread Link (Question about Indian Customs and your experience)
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 07:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I intend to purchase a laptop for personal use from UAE and bring it back with me to India.
I got my previous laptop (Lenovo) from US. Purchased from their official site, got it delivered to my cousins place and my mother in law carried it along with her (Unboxed).

1. This had warranty applicable in India. I didn't use it, but when it eventually conked off 3 years later, the service center did say it would work here. Am not sure on that though.
2. Unbox it and carry it in your laptop bag. Won't have issues with customs. My cousin brought a tab few months back and the couple had multiple laptops, tabs and phones.
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 10:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I intend to purchase a laptop for personal use from UAE and bring it back with me to India... Is there anything else that I need to be aware of?
There are some maybe minor issues to think about. Windows laptops sold in UAE has all language/regional options (and the physical keyboard) set to that geography. Some of these you might be able to change, but some are impossible to. Investigate the regional, language, number formatting, currency and other locale-specific settings that are available and that you need. Also the keyboard layout and look & feel of the laptop.

For example, the "Windows Display Language" cannot be changed with the basic Windows Home license (you need to upgrade to Professional for that).
binand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 11:48   #5
BHPian

I had purchased a Dell laptop from the US when my cousin got it for me. You will have to make sure it is unboxed and show that it is used.
He did not have issues at the customs.

Dell also transferred the warranty from US to India based on email from my cousin to them. And I was able to utilise the warranty for some issues too.

I dont think it is a problem to get a laptop from US to India, just make sure you either have global warranty or it can be transferred to India.
Mumbaiker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 12:07   #6
BHPian

Earlier, carrying 2 laptops would be tricky and would be target for customs upon arrival. I have had to pay a nominal customs import duty (no qualms there) when I got a new laptop for my dad few years back.

Things have changed now. When flying out to the US earlier this year, I was carrying 2 laptops - personal and work. Thought of getting them declared at the customs on my way out to avoid any issues upon return. The custom officials refused, saying no one bothers about phone and laptops now. Having 2 laptops is pretty common use-case (at least in Bangalore).
sachinayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 10:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I intend to purchase a laptop for personal use from UAE and bring it back with me to India. With regards to the same, I was wondering:
  1. What are the warranty implications? Will the service centre in India accept the laptop for any repairs / replacement in case of an unfortunate event?
  2. What are the customs implications? Will I need to pay customs duty if I am carrying the laptop on my person with an additional work laptop that is provided by office?
  3. Is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Gotchas, etc.?
Looking forward to your inputs / ideas / suggestions on the same.

PS: The laptop that I'm eyeing is an HP Envy 16 (i9, 16gigs, RTX-4060) which is currently not available in India.
For Question No.1, The answer should be No Coverage. You may have to ship the laptop (at your expense) to UAE, get it repaired and then pay them to ship it you in such an event.

This is what I could find on HP's site. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpr01266

What is covered by HP Global Warranty
HP Global Warranty covers HP products at the level of standard warranty offered in the country in which it is used. For example, a product purchased in country "A" and moved to country "B" receives the current warranty coverage provided by country "B" (if that product is marketed or supported in country B).

Dell (for that matter) explicitly mentions this in their website that if any models are not available in the country you are in, it has to be send back to the original country from where it has been bought for repair. Was planning to get an Alienware from UK and this was a deal breaker.

Last edited by JayKis : 1st March 2024 at 10:54.
JayKis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 16:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
The custom officials refused, saying no one bothers about phone and laptops now. Having 2 laptops is pretty common use-case (at least in Bangalore).
Quite relieved to hear this, since I'm about to confirm with my brother my import of a laptop, a phone, a pair of headphones, a tablet, a smartwatch
Old 1st March 2024, 16:15   #9
BHPian

I've got my Asus laptop from abroad and it came with international warranty. Same for apple and a few other brands. So you need to check which brands offer international warranty and buy the ones which do offer it. Also be careful about what keyboard it comes with, my previous laptop had a German keyboard, which was QWERTZ instead of QWWERTY.
That was a fun learning curve
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 16:25   #10
BHPian

I live in Dubai and very often (2–3 times per year) take laptops and iPhones to friends and family. The laptops I have bought by default carry international warranties (IBM, HP, and Dell). I have bought these from Carrefour and Sharaf DG. Ensure you activate the warranty online if it asks for it and keep your bill handy (take a picture and send it to your email). No one in customs bothers these days with 2-3 phones, 2 laptops, and 1 tab. If you carry gold ornaments or gold bars, then you are in soup. I have landed in all possible airports i.e. Kannur, Mangalore, Goa, Bangalore, Mumbai, etc. to name a few and there were no problems with any customs checking in.
wheeledwanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 21:22   #11
BHPian

I just got my New Laptop from UAE last week. Its a Lenovo Legion i7 13th gen RTX 4060 and the only thing which I made sure was that it had International Warranty. Some of the models are available with just regional warranty. So make sure the one you are eying on has one. The only con which I am facing is the Arabic keyboard which is included with the English one
Old 2nd March 2024, 15:32   #12
BHPian

How much discount you got purchasing laptop from UAE vs India ? From my experience, the deals you get during BBD & Great Indian sales cannot be matched while purchasing hardware from retail stores like Virgin & Jumbo. However if they also give sale then its a different story.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks