Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 22:24   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: How to speed up a 5-year old Windows laptop / desktop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Yes this is related to how CPU addresses spaces work and would warrant a separate discussion. Increased RAM will definitely help but upgrading to power of 2 is optimal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
So, in a nutshell, it is recommended to have similar capacity and speed of the RAM modules in the 2 RAM slots. If one of the slots has higher capacity (i.e., 8 GB), things won't run optimally, but they won't be terrible, either.
Thank you for the elaborate explanation, makes sense. The cost difference between 4gb & 8gb RAM isn’t huge and hence was thinking of going in for the 8gb to pair with 4gb. But if it won’t run as it’s supposed to or rather to the full potential of 8gb RAM, I shall stick to pairing the existing 4gb with another 4gb only.

Also, I’m sure getting a 256gb SDD alongside the existing 1tb HDD will help to boost the performance.

So if I would be doing correctly, than I should install windows, MS office, Chrome, Antivirus and all the power hungry apps on the SDD and keep the 1tb HDD only for photos, music, videos, etc.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 30th October 2023 at 22:27.
Old 31st October 2023, 04:39   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This thread has saved me 2-lakh rupees . Period. From behaving like a Maruti Alto 796cc, my Latitude is running like an Octavia turbo-petrol now! Big thank you for all the suggestions.

Before I incorporated the suggestions on this thread, my CPU or RAM (or both) used to constantly hover between 80 - 100%!
Thanks for the update, Rush. It would help if you could list the exact suggestions you have incorporated, as this would be a more summarised solution for someone looking to achieve similar results.
benbsb29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 15:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

Glad that it has worked out. But you can do even better.

Quote:
I don't get why everyone calls Chrome a resource hog. For one, it does have the most features. Second, I have like 8 productivity extensions installed from the Chrome WebStore which I cannot do without.
Without knowing what those 8 are, let me assure you all of those will work exactly as-is on Edge as well. Even the installation process does not change. Just go to Chrome web store (in Edge Browser) and click Add to Chrome to install (to Edge ).

The problem is not that Chrome uses up RAM. Edge does as well. In fact, both of them use the same Chromium engine. The problem is that it keeps using CPU resources for tasks on the 69 background tabs when just the 70th one is active.

To a user, both are exactly the same (apart from the Google user sync which now works via MS user).

I know that you also have (or at least had) a 9th gen i7 MBP16 so you already know how much that one heats up. Would you believe that I am working in a powercut that started at 9 AM with my phone connected by USB with its hotspot on. This is without even a fan on and there is still 17% battery remaining. Extra work done by the CPU is not the only thing that uses up power. So does the fan when spinning at hyper speed.
Attached Images

antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 20:30   #49
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The problem is not that Chrome uses up RAM. Edge does as well. In fact, both of them use the same Chromium engine. The problem is that it keeps using CPU resources for tasks on the 69 background tabs when just the 70th one is active.
OT: Since you're using a Mac, what is the reason to prefer MS Edge over the native Safari browser? I believe the safari being Apple's own should be much efficient than the Edge?
Old 5th November 2023, 09:26   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks for the update, Rush. It would help if you could list the exact suggestions you have incorporated, as this would be a more summarised solution for someone looking to achieve similar results.
Implemented pretty much all the software tweaks suggested on this thread, but hardware stuff is still pending (NVME M.2 SSD, taking RAM to 32 GB). Even without the hardware upgrades which I will do later, the computer is now running like a powerhouse.

Removed useless apps, updated all drivers, disabled useless services, removed useless stuff from the startup etc. etc. I went through all the suggestions post by post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The problem is that it keeps using CPU resources for tasks on the 69 background tabs when just the 70th one is active.
I think this is outdated information? Chrome now puts inactive tabs to sleep. I love Chrome & frankly feel it gets a lot more hate than it deserves. Just need to spend some time tweaking it:
How to speed up a 5-year old Windows laptop / desktop?-screenshot-20231105-092323.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 11:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is outdated information? Chrome now puts inactive tabs to sleep. I love Chrome & frankly feel it gets a lot more hate than it deserves. Just need to spend some time tweaking it:
Attachment 2526215
In that case, I need to give Chrome a try again and report my findings if I see any changes.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks