Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2023, 12:37   #1
BHPian

Which cash / note counting machine to buy?

How do these note counting machines detect fake notes?

One of my known contacts has taken a petrol bunk on lease. He was mentioning that the bank rejected a couple of 500rs notes as fake and siezed them instead of returning back to him, saying that is the process (blah blah - I was not convinced with what he said, but the point is on fake note detection instead of what the bank did).

How do these note counting machines detect fake notes? Anyone knows? Basically how dependable/reliable is it?

Saw this video on YouTube though:

Which is a reliable brand/model to recommend to him?

Last edited by null : 6th September 2023 at 12:39. Reason: Adding link
null is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 15:13   #2
BHPian

re: Which cash / note counting machine to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post

One of my known contacts has taken a petrol bunk on lease. He was mentioning that the bank rejected a couple of 500rs notes as fake and siezed them instead of returning back to him, saying that is the process (blah blah - I was not convinced with what he said, but the point is on fake note detection instead of what the bank did).

Which is a reliable brand/model to recommend to him?

The fake notes have to be impounded by the Bank so as to prevent them being re-circulated again to other unsuspecting recipients. They have to issue a receipt to the depositor confirming all the details of the notes impounded.

The machines in the market work by identifying the paper quality / security features present in the genuine notes. Sometimes genuine notes too may get filtered by some machines if they are significantly soiled / damaged and need to be physically re-examined by experienced bankers.

The best machine option would be to use the same type as used by the bank where the notes are deposited, so that results are similar.
Fx14 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 15:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

How do these note counting machines detect fake notes? Anyone knows? Basically how dependable/reliable is it?
I have not seen a counting machine detecting a fake note, though the note may get rejected in the counting process mostly due to some grime or dirt on the note. Even the tellers use the UV (?) light to check the authenticity of a note which they think may be fake.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 15:50   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Cash counting machines have UV detectors. Certain section of the notes are made of ultraviolet ink that has a chemical fluorescent phosphorus, which is only visible under UV. The detectors enable the notes with ultraviolet ink to glow brightly when put under the UV light, allowing them to identify legitimate currency. While counting each note is passed through this light. They are Extremely reliable.

Try to look at the currency under blacklight (UV), you will come to know the principle. I came to know about this when I was changing the forex at an airport, they checked it with a handheld UV scanner for a counterfeit note.
NomadSK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 16:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Cash counting machines have UV detectors... They are Extremely reliable.
The speed at which they count, I was a bit suspicious of whether they really detect fake notes. Also, have heard of stories where banks fake the process of fake note detection, so was suspicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
... with a handheld UV scanner for a counterfeit note.
Yes. I have experienced shop keepers, mostly at airports, check $100 bills under UV light abroad especially when travelers like us give them

Last edited by null : 6th September 2023 at 16:59.
null is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 18:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

When we sold our residential land, we needed a note counting machine - so we just picked some model from Amazon.in with good ratings.

To check if it really detects fake notes, I just photocopied a Rs. 500 note on A4 sized paper using our home printer, cut out a few such notes and placed it in between a bunch of real notes.

And yes, it detected these home-made Rs. 500 notes. That was good enough for us

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th September 2023 at 18:24.
SmartCat is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 18:26   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which cash / note counting machine to buy?

Your friend's petrol bunk will need a solid, reliable machine for the sheer amount of cash such a business generates. I'd go with the brand.

Godrej - they have one on Amazon too.

Second option, TVS.

But really, Godrej would be the top pick. We use a bunch of Godrej products (including electronic lockers) & have found all of them to be robust + reliable.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 19:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

If a bank comes across fake bills, they have the right to tear them or impound them. They can also ask for details of the transaction through which a person got them. But in most cases, where it is one or two notes, they do not follow full procedure but definitely take possession of the notes. The telling machines are pretty accurate in terms of finding out fake notes. I have used them a little frequently in the last few months (same land deals etc.) and I am generally very skeptical of the validity of notes. Thankfully we got all good bills and none of the machines (a total of 4 involved) picked up any as bad. All were good, so yes, the machines are pretty reliable.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 10:31   #9
BHPian

Initially I was also a bit skeptical to buy one but since I pulled the plug and bought one about 14 years ago there's no going back. And yes its pretty reliable in detecting fake notes. The UV and MG combo makes sure that fake notes are surely detected. The soiled 10 rupees notes sometimes shows up error but then you can easily see that the thread is basically non existent in such notes which is why the MG error keeps popping up.

From my experience a high end machine is not needed unless you are running a bank. Just buy one which has a UV + Mg combo and a basic bundling feature ( which basically stops counting at an interval you set, so you can bundle it)
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 11:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
When we sold our residential land, we needed a note counting machine - so we just picked some model from Amazon.in with good ratings.

To check if it really detects fake notes, I just photocopied a Rs. 500 note on A4 sized paper using our home printer, cut out a few such notes and placed it in between a bunch of real notes.

And yes, it detected these home-made Rs. 500 notes. That was good enough for us
That is really a smart test you did.
A new learning unlocked!!
Kams_cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 12:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Good work! If you dont mind, can you please give me the name of the model? I am in need of the same.
Old 8th September 2023, 12:41   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Good work! If you dont mind, can you please give me the name of the model? I am in need of the same.
https://www.amazon.in/Counting-Machi...dp/B0B6WFMKRB/

Which cash / note counting machine to buy?-screenshot_1.jpg
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 13:55   #13
BHPian

Hi,

You can check out Currency Note Authenticating / Counting / Verifying Machines from INFRES Methodex Pvt Ltd (www.infres.net). Their main focus is on Office Automation and Currency Automation products and services. The company is Delhi (NCR) based and have offices all over India. We have been using their machines in our office as well since many years.
Old 8th September 2023, 14:08   #14
BHPian

The banks have a right to impound such notes. In fact if the number of notes are higher than 4-5 or are frequent by the same customer, the bank is liable to register an FIR as well. As an advocate, I had a case where a bank filed an FIR against a person for "attempting" to deposit FICR. Though the case never went anywhere and ended in an acquittal, it was a hassle for the client in terms of time and effort. So along with the Currency counting machine, make sure employees of the pump are trained to spot atleast obvious fakes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks