Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2023, 14:48   #136
BHPian

Re: Government restricts the imports of laptops & computers. EDIT: Order suspended till 1 November 2

Doesn't China also import a lot of IC chips from Taiwan and other countries ? Now with export bans, they are trying to develop even their own chip making equipment though, but will take time.

India already has design centres for lot of MNC IC producers. We can take up the other third part of it like assembling and look at the last third of actual fabrication. All this is not going to happen suddenly. Foxconn in US is not finding people to start its unit in Arizona.
Old 28th August 2023, 15:27   #137
BHPian

Re: Government restricts the imports of laptops & computers. EDIT: Order suspended till 1 November 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
As far as being political is concerned, people use this as per convenience to downmerit a person. Use this oppostunity to criticise the actual weak points of Rajan's opinion, is it too tough? The logic is almost humorous. "We can't consider him economist, because he's trying to be politician".
Yes, of course, you can't consider me a biker, because I'm trying to be a professor.
I don't understand how you got this impression. Nobody is saying that Rajan is not a good economist because he has a political inclination.

When we are discussing a proposed action with equal chances of being a failure or success, it becomes important to take in to account the bias of a person if they make a statement on it.

Using your analogy, you're a biker and a professor. But if you have a history of favouring a certain bike manufacturer in the past (maybe because of your association with them or because of some other reasons), would it be wrong to point this out when you give opinion on new bike launches of rival brands?

I don't think this logic was humorous at all.

Quote:
By the way, what's so bad about an educated person being political? Or to Rephrase the question, would you rather let an uneducated goon be a minister, or a gentleman who's actually achieved something in life?
What kind of person do we want as our politician anyways? The local big name who bunked classes or never attended college?
Everybody has the right to have their opinions and preferences, irrespective of their education.

But, your first sentence has no connection whatsoever to the rest of the paragraph. None at all.

Now that you have written it, let me point this out that education is not a guarantee of anyone's integrity and morality(or lack of it).

Yes, I would prefer an educated politician, but an uneducated politician is not a goon. This is elitism.

Do you want me to point out all the educated politicians and businessmen who indulged in corruption and what not? But that would be whataboutery, and I wouldn't do that.
itisK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 16:10   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisK View Post
Nobody is saying that Rajan is not a good economist because he has a political inclination.
Sorry if I was not clear, I'm not referring to any Team-bhp member at all.

I was referring to MEITY chief, quoted in someone's post, this is what was said:-
Quote:
MEITY chief responded to this interview just a couple of days back. His point is that we can no longer consider Rajan as an Economist because he is trying to become a Politician.
Humourous or not, ok, no worries, I'll let you decide.

Quote:
Everybody has the right to have their opinions and preferences, irrespective of their education.
Now that you have written it, let me point this out that education is not a guarantee of anyone's integrity and morality(or lack of it).
Point accepted.

Quote:
Yes, I would prefer an educated politician, but an uneducated politician is not a goon. This is elitism.
I'm not getting the option to edit my post, for clarity.
But no, I didn't mean every uneducated person is a goon. I just joined the words together for a fictional comparison, as to whom will we choose among the two.

In case of Rajan, its not as much about education as it is about contribution. Still, as you yourself said you'd prefer them educated, so there's correlation in your and my opinion.
The post was clearly typed in a hurry, which I'll try to avoid in future.

Although, I do wish to add, you can't dismiss basic qualification requirements as elitism, for the most important jobs of this country. I'm ok with a government school educated person in politics, but being uneducated has no excuse. Remember, even the basic govt servant has to be educated.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 28th August 2023 at 16:17.
Samarth 619 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 20:29   #139
BHPian

Quote:
I was referring to MEITY chief, quoted in someone's post
All I would say is that don't take these media statements seriously. They have to take a stand in front of the media, and that's what they are doing.

Behind closed doors, they both would be having friendly interactions forgetting all that is said in the media. A good example of that is to look at various policies brought by different governments and how their opposition criticises it. But when they come back in to power, they continue with the same policies. It is applicable for all the parties across the political spectrum.
itisK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 20:02   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

PLI scheme for IT Hardware manufacturing receives 32 applications, Apple opts out.
https://www.cnbctv18.com/technology/...t-17678951.htm

Quote:
All of them are driven to gear up manufacturing and bring in supply chains. Vaishnaw noted that companies like HP, Dell, Lenovo, Thompson, Acer, and Asus will be manufacturing laptops under the scheme. Whereas, HP, VVDN, Lenovo will be manufacturing servers.
He also added that Apple has not applied under the PLI framework. This move should see a significant reduction in the import of laptops and PCs, Vaishnaw said, adding that “import restrictions are not a worry anymore.”

Last edited by SmartCat : 30th August 2023 at 20:35. Reason: Added direct link to article
Old 30th August 2023, 20:18   #141
BHPian

Re: Government restricts the imports of laptops & computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
What? Didn't we leave protectionism behind in 1991 and embrace the free market? Why are we going back to the mistakes of 70s and the 80s?

Next, will they bring back License Raj?
In 1990, India was bankrupt. In 2023, we will be the 5th largest economy in the world, soon to be 3rd largest after a few years and 10T USD economy by 2034.

You are talking about a totally different India and a different world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
On Reddit I read an interesting perspective: Some are saying that this move is aimed at preventing small players in the data center business from growing competitively because some company that is seen favourably by the ruling dispensation has recently started a data center business. This company in question has monopolies in its other sectors hence the data center sector is unlikely to be allowed to be competitive.

One may or may not agree with this possibility, but it is an interesting perspective nonetheless.
I hope that is not /r/india subreddit. It is a propaganda hate subreddit funded and run by anti-India sentiments. The moderators and most of the power users are not from India. They have systematically banned Indian users who don't agree with their agenda. I won't be surprised if the moderators and power users are funded by external forces/countries.

India needs more companies like Samsung that run multiple businesses as it helps to reduce the cost of running a business where your businesses share resources like HR, accounting, supply chain, etc. We need monopolies otherwise businesses won't be doing business. Everything will become a service/local business.

Datacenter is not a small-player business anyway. I hope we make sure all the data of India remains in India and all the TrueCaller, Chinese gaming apps, Chinese software updates etc only happen and run from Indian data centers.

Last edited by how_you_doing : 30th August 2023 at 20:21.
how_you_doing is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 00:48   #142
BHPian

Re: Government restricts the imports of laptops & computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
In 1990, India was bankrupt. In 2023, we will be the 5th largest economy in the world, soon to be 3rd largest after a few years and 10T USD economy by 2034.

You are talking about a totally different India and a different world.
Quote:
And what am saying is that the direction this moved is aimed at will land us straight back in 1990.
I hope that is not /r/india subreddit. It is a propaganda hate subreddit funded and run by anti-India sentiments. The moderators and most of the power users are not from India. They have systematically banned Indian users who don't agree with their agenda. I won't be surprised if the moderators and power users are funded by external forces/countries.
As much as I hate anti-nationals, I have no love lost for ultra-nationalists too. Two worms, one inside the apple and one outside, I'd chuck out the one inside first.
dragonfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 01:19   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
PLI scheme for IT Hardware manufacturing receives 32 applications, Apple opts out.
Qouting from NDTV:

Quote:
IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said Apple has not applied under the PLI framework, but the company is already manufacturing components.
Apple is already manufacturing components for Macs and Macbooks? Or is he referring to iphone/earpod components?
Old 23rd September 2023, 21:47   #144
BHPian

Yet another U-Turn by GOI. India will be definitely eyeing for Guiness book of records for maximum number of U-Turns

Such short-sightedness and lack of clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Government restricts the imports of laptops & computers. EDIT: Order suspended till 1 November 2023-screenshot_20230923_214337_x.jpg  

RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 22:35   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Yet another U-Turn by GOI. India will be definitely eyeing for Guiness book of records for maximum number of U-Turns. Such short-sightedness and lack of clarity.
Looks like you missed this news. GoI's gambit worked. All laptop manufacturers have fallen in line.

Government restricts the imports of laptops & computers. EDIT: Order suspended till 1 November 2023-screenshot_12.jpg

Obviously it will take an year or two for them to setup base here. That's why the so called 'import ban' notification has been withdrawn (if true). GoI probably wants to show that it is still carrying a stick with that 'will regulate inbound shipments' notification, just in case laptop manufacturers do not stick to their commitments.

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd September 2023 at 23:56.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 01:04   #146
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

DGFT puts new import registration regime in place for laptops, tablets from November 1

The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) is gearing up to activate its import management system for registration of laptops, computers, and tablets from November 1, as there may be no further postponement of the government’s decision to switch to an import authorisation system beyond October 31

Quote:
“The industry seems to be aligned with the government’s decision to initiate the registration process. As of now, the DGFT is preparing to start the import management system for the import of laptops and computers from November 1. There is no communication from the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) suggesting any postponement,” the official said.

The window for registration of importers will be opened about ten days prior to the mandated switch to the new system, and the process will not take more than two to three days, the official added.

“Initially, authorisation will be issued for whatever quantity the industry wants to import. The norm is that once an authorisation is issued, it remains valid for a year. The DGFT and MeitY can together take a final call on the validity period,” the official said.
Source: https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le67408501.ece
Old 13th October 2023, 18:56   #147
BHPian

India has decided not to put any restrictions on the import of laptops, reversing its previous decision due to backlash.

https://www.businesstoday.in/technol...915-2023-10-13
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 13:55   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Government shelves move to curb laptop imports but tweaks its policy.

The government is rolling back its plan to restrict laptop imports, months after suddenly announcing the move to introduce a licence system which was aimed at boosting domestic production but had drawn flak from industry as an interference with free trade.

Government restricts the imports of laptops & computers. EDIT: Order suspended till 1 November 2023-f8yozobuaa4rxa.jpg

Link
Old 19th October 2023, 15:04   #149
Team-BHP Support

From the above link, point 1- does it mean, manufacturer has to be exporter? Or is this data required only for any future policy change?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks