Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2022, 20:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Best cameras in affordable smartphones (20 - 40k range)

What a coincidence! Bought a S20 FE for me and my wife both. Got it for ~27k. My main criteria was a good camera, and at the price this one was best. My previous best experience was with Samsung Galaxy Alpha the then semi flagship. So how good is the camera? Here's some of mine;

Best cameras in affordable smartphones (20 - 40k range)-20221018_132550.jpg

Best cameras in affordable smartphones (20 - 40k range)-20221002_181753.jpg

Best cameras in affordable smartphones (20 - 40k range)-20221022_173355.jpg

Given the price I'm more than happy with the purchase
400notout is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 21:03   #32
BHPian

Great phone with great specs and comes with charger. Had bought this for 32K few months back and was so impressed that I bought for my wife for 27K at Reliance digital. Still available at 27K on Samsung site with HDFC offer. Since last few years have noticed that same price is available at Reliance digital than online stores plus no waiting for courier. This time it was available on Samsung site for 40 days against few days at Amazon or Flipkart. That too before the offer days on online sites.
sukhbirST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 11:12   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Request to please discuss only the "camera" aspect of affordable smartphones. Some posts went off-topic. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 17:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Some peculiar things about Samsung S21FE camera. Maybe even reflected in S20FE.

Even after disabling in setting, camera app 'remembers' its last settings and starts in them, rather than in normal camera mode. So if I clicked a night mode selfie with a two second timer, next morning the app will start with same settings, and I have to undo all one by one to get to normal camera.

Second, night mode photos are clicked quickly, but processing takes its own sweet time. Worse, the camera app is unuseable till that photo is processed, so you can't help but wait with your thumbs twiddling to click the next photo. Pixel night camera took similar or even longer time to click, but the processing happened in background, so one could click next photos immediately.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 18:32   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

Second, night mode photos are clicked quickly, but processing takes its own sweet time. Worse, the camera app is unuseable till that photo is processed, so you can't help but wait with your thumbs twiddling to click the next photo. Pixel night camera took similar or even longer time to click, but the processing happened in background, so one could click next photos immediately.
Both cameras are doing the same thing - taking multiple images at different exposures and combining/processing to generate the best image. That's why the time taken between consecutive night shots is the same.

It's just that Samsung makes the artificial click sound first and then asks you to hold the phone steady for 4 seconds, while Pixel asks you to hold phone steady for 4 seconds and then makes the artificial click sound.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 19:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

I bought a Samsung s21 FE 5G 256GB model from a store for 37k effectively after 9k store discount and 3k HDFC credit card offer. Strangely this model is out of stock everywhere I enquired and somehow this store arranged a last piece from another branch.

Want to check one thing. Store gave a 9k discount by using Samsung galaxy app on my existing phone. He mentioned something about Samsung upgrade offer. Old phone was handed back to me once this offer was applied in store's system using OTP on my existing phone.

Does anyone know what is this Samsung upgrade offer? Is it for real or a gimmick by the store? I am wondering since the old phone was given back to me and still they gave 9k discount using the Samsung galaxy app. I was thinking upgrade would be like exchanging old samsung phone with new phone so wondering why would Samsung provide such high discount without actual exchange.

End of the day, I'm happy with the overall price I paid for 256gb model but my mind is still processing this offer so putting this query to you folks for comments.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 29th October 2022 at 19:22.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 20:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
Is there a way to use both SIMs and SD card together?
I also had same issue. The only solution is to use 1 Physical Sim, 1 Sd card and 1 active E-Sim. Most providers allow you to switch to e-sim these days and its the way of future (Apple removed physical sim support for iPhone 14 in US market) So go ahead, finally pick up the 1TB SD card and have best of both worlds !

Best cameras in affordable smartphones (20 - 40k range)-20210630_151045.jpg

Best cameras in affordable smartphones (20 - 40k range)-screenshot_20221029200826_call-settings.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I am wondering since the old phone was given back to me and still they gave 9k discount using the Samsung galaxy app. I was thinking upgrade would be like exchanging old samsung phone with new phone so wondering why would Samsung provide such high discount without actual exchange.
During Big Billion day sale, flagship phones are discounted as much as 40-50K. This 9K is nothing compared with that. While purchasing phones, Samsung offers were never better than what Flipkart or Amazon offers during festive season.

Finally posting some pics taken from my colleagues Samsung M30S so that this post doesn't go off topic

Best cameras in affordable smartphones (20 - 40k range)-img_1436.jpg

Best cameras in affordable smartphones (20 - 40k range)-img_1442.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 22:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post

Finally posting some pics taken from my colleagues Samsung M30S so that this post doesn't go off topic
That post still is offtopic , because there is another thread for just posting photos from smartphones : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/et-ce...-thread-9.html (The Smartphone Photography Thread)

back to topic, couple of years ago I bought a Huawei mobile (before Google banned Gapps from Huawei phones). That had a 16mp 1.8 27mm standard camera and a 24mp 1.8 27mm monochrome camera. For night shots, it's approach was to capture two simultaneous photos with both cameras (both being same focal length ) and then it overlayed the color information on the monochrome photo to give ultra low noise night image. For HDR also, it used to similar image stacking from both cameras (monochrome sensor captures more dynamic range than a color sensor). This was before the algorithms for realtime image compositing caught upto speed.

Now with improved techniques, manufacturers were able to do away with physical hardware. Thesedays, I don't think there is any phone or camera with a dedicated monochrome sensor.
deetee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 17:18   #39
BHPian

Since the range mentioned is 40K, let me share an update on my Diwali shopping. People are still glued to Flipkart and Amazon for all their shopping festivals and they miss great deals by manufacturers themselves.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S22+ from the Samsung website last week and got it delivered today. They have some amazing Exchange offers going on. My 3-year-old Oneplus 7T fetched me 24K in exchange (I had bought it for 36K then)! Add that to the existing 42K off on the phone which is available on all shopping sites, I got the 1.02L S22+ for a cool 36K!

For reference, the exchange for my same phone was showing only 9.8K on Flipkart for the same purchase.

PS: I do hope I have got a good piece as this is an absolute steal!

PPS: Needless to say, it has superb camera which is the thread topic!

Last edited by RaghuVis : 30th October 2022 at 17:19. Reason: forgot to add one line
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 20:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
Is there a way to use both SIMs and SD card together?
Off topic reply

You have two methods.

Heat the sim, remove the metal part and paste it on the sd card so that the terminals align properly. It’s tedious and you can end up ruining the sim. You can refer to videos in YouTube.

Or use this contraption - https://amzn.eu/d/eq01Jk5

I used a similar one a few years ago, and it worked well. You can hide the whole thing in a TPU/Silicone case.

Last edited by dragonfire : 30th October 2022 at 20:18.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 22:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S22+ from the Samsung website last week and got it delivered today. They have some amazing Exchange offers going on. My 3-year-old Oneplus 7T fetched me 24K in exchange (I had bought it for 36K then)! Add that to the existing 42K off on the phone which is available on all shopping sites, I got the 1.02L S22+ for a cool 36K!

PPS: Needless to say, it has superb camera which is the thread topic!
Still off topic, S22+ is no 40K phone. You cannot say iPhone 14 cost 50K after exchanging iPhone 13. Price of phone without exchange will be considered which is 36+24 = 60K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Off topic reply

You have two methods.

Heat the sim, remove the metal part and paste it on the sd card so that the terminals align properly. It’s tedious and you can end up ruining the sim. You can refer to videos in YouTube.

Or use this contraption - https://amzn.eu/d/eq01Jk5

I used a similar one a few years ago, and it worked well. You can hide the whole thing in a TPU/Silicone case.
His phone has E-Sim support. No need for all these Jugaad when a proper solution is available.
Old 31st October 2022, 11:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Still off topic, S22+ is no 40K phone. You cannot say iPhone 14 cost 50K after exchanging iPhone 13. Price of phone without exchange will be considered which is 36+24 = 60K
Ha Ha. Agree with you but Samsung has a 3 times discount for every phone. And no matter whether the price is 60 or 80 or 1L, if you end up getting an S22+ for under 40K, then it does not matter what the starting price was.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 12:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree. It's like the crappy news headlines, get iPhone 13 at 20 thousand only, and then they mention in the news, after exchanging iphone 14 pro max

That said, JioMart, of all the online shopping sites, offered amazing deal on s22+ where one could get it at 44k without any exchange. But that was a short lived deal.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks