Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 141 39.61%
No 215 60.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 08:27   #406
BHPian

re: The Tata Sky Thread

I am facing a strange problem since 4 days. My Tata Sky says "No Signal" around 11:00 pm at night since 4 days. This problem used to occur during day time also last month and for that Tata Sky have changed my HD Set top box, changed the connector, changed the cable at the common dish distribution point too. After that day time problem is reduced and occurs once in a while. But the 11:00 pm problem is out of my thoughts. I have asked the society security guy to watch if somebody is playing mischief. But could not find anybody.

Our Terrace is also locked and nobody is allowed to visit terrace after 10:00 pm night.
Is there any point where signal loss can occur? other than house and Dish?

Is there any contact email id where I can start pushing to resolve my problem?
Old 13th November 2013, 09:44   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Vyenky View Post
I am facing a strange problem since 4 days. My Tata Sky says "No Signal" around 11:00 pm at night since 4 days.
Here is the answer to you question. Weather in MUMBAI for the last 4 days.

It works perfect in the day right ?
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Sky Thread-capture.jpg  

Old 13th November 2013, 11:10   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Here is the answer to you question. Weather in MUMBAI for the last 4 days.

It works perfect in the day right ?
Thanks for the report. Yes it works perfectly during the day. Initially I used to face the problem during day also but after changing HD STB and connector, day problems are almost stopped.
Old 14th November 2013, 13:19   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post

..Now, the problem recurs, the engineer is coming again to do master reset and the story continues.
What is the current status on this issue? Any solution. I also raised an SR on this and the service engineer came and said that he'll change the stb. But, googling the net reveals that the same issue is being faced by others also. I don't understand why Tatasky is unable to solve this issue. Thanks.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:33   #410
Senior - BHPian

Is there any provision in any set top box to set time limits for children,during our absence? I manage my son's computer access timings through an inbuilt PG software in the OS (Vista), but the minute it logs him out, the couch potato comes and sits in front of the TV, not listening to his grand parents!
Old 14th November 2013, 18:26   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Does anyone know for sure if the other DTH companies are better?
No... most probably they are not. Go with the worst scenario and say they are not any better. Still, TS had only one differentiator. They were supposedly more professional and straightforward than the fly by night operators.

Today, the scenario has reversed. They are in the same bucket as others. Ethics gone for a toss. They try to twist and turn things in their favor through backdoor rule creations against all ethics. They try to charge you when they should bear it.

And then, they were anyhow costly but now they are just too much so. When you compare this to something like say Videocon you realize that cost differences are big enough to ensure that you will be willing to take a few underhand ones in case they come up to that. But here TS is neither giving any benefits nor are they sparing your pocket. So where is the fun? I don't see any.

After paying 600+ per month (for a HD Mega) if I still see all these crooked ways to keep me away from a newly launched channel I am sorry to say but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Videocon gives me all this at a much much lesser price (others are costly so am not looking at them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is there any provision in any set top box to set time limits for children,during our absence?
Why not look at a simpler solution. Rather than thinking of time limits and complete shutdowns why not just put a passcode for all the channels that your sun likes to see. That ways others can watch their channels at least. You can set that from the STB.
Old 17th November 2013, 08:18   #412
Senior - BHPian

Team,

I am tired of NO SIGNAL crap on TATA SKY HD. It has now stopped working early in the morning.

8:25 AM, The SUN is out and it still says NO SIGNAL.

Please suggest alternatives with recording options.

Last edited by F150 : 17th November 2013 at 08:27.
Old 17th November 2013, 12:36   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I am seriously contemplating a move over to the Videocon HD. They are affordable and also have the largest bouquet of HD channels. I amy do this real soon.
Quote:
Does anyone know for sure if the other DTH companies are better?
I am a customer of both Tata Sky and Videocon D2h. I can say D2h is not inferior in any sense. My primary reason for getting D2h was for pricing and more HD channels. Faced hiccups during installation of D2h when they wanted to come at one time and I wanted them at some other time. While installing ensured that I get excellent signal quality and strength. Never faced blackouts on any overcast/rainy days.

Regarding the service that everybody vouches for Tata Sky, my take is that if the installation is done right, you very rarely need to ask them to visit you. So in the long term it may not remain a big differentiator.
Old 17th November 2013, 13:54   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Team,

I am tired of NO SIGNAL crap on TATA SKY HD. It has now stopped working early in the morning.

In my opinion, your dish orientation is off. For one of my TVs I have my own dish and every six months or so the orientation goes off ever so slightly and it affects the HD channels more. It starts with pixelation, then frequent picture blackouts and finally no signal. I just push the dish a little in the direction that it's mounted and the problem goes away.
Old 17th November 2013, 16:04   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I am a customer of both Tata Sky and Videocon D2h. I can say D2h is not inferior in any sense. My primary reason for getting D2h was for pricing and more HD channels. Faced hiccups during installation of D2h when they wanted to come at one time and I wanted them at some other time. While installing ensured that I get excellent signal quality and strength. Never faced blackouts on any overcast/rainy days.

Regarding the service that everybody vouches for Tata Sky, my take is that if the installation is done right, you very rarely need to ask them to visit you. So in the long term it may not remain a big differentiator.
Bro,

I am paying Metro pack Rs 320 + Rs 100 HD access Fee + Rs 60 Start Premiere HD.

How much are you paying on Videcon D2h ?
Old 17th November 2013, 18:34   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much are you paying on Videcon D2h ?
I bought their Platinum HD (All channels) annual pack including HD set top box (without recording). It cost me Rs. 6490 back in July. I believe they have increased the price later.

As regards to addition of new channels, D2h too has not provided Star World Premier to their existing customers. But Romedy Now has bee included in the package.
Old 17th November 2013, 23:34   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Team,

Quote:
In my opinion, your dish orientation is off. For one of my TVs I have my own dish and every six months or so the orientation goes off ever so slightly and it affects the HD channels more. It starts with pixelation, then frequent picture blackouts and finally no signal. I just push the dish a little in the direction that it's mounted and the problem goes away.

After much deliberation, I placed service request on TATA SKY help line.

The technician came and tested the STB. STB was OK.

He then chequed the antenna alignment and it was OK, but still the signal was experiencing loss. The conclusion was that the LNB was faulty.

LNB was replaced and the problem has been resolved.

Rs 150 - Visiting Charges
Rs 300 Price of LNB
Old 18th November 2013, 06:42   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

After much deliberation, I placed service request on TATA SKY help line.

The technician came and tested the STB. STB was OK.

He then chequed the antenna alignment and it was OK, but still the signal was experiencing loss. The conclusion was that the LNB was faulty.

LNB was replaced and the problem has been resolved.

Rs 150 - Visiting Charges
Rs 300 Price of LNB
I have been having similar issues on my TataSKY, but what I fail to understand is that one TV faces signal issues on a few channels, other TV doesn't. And the blokes who visit can't understand the problem nor they have any answers to my question. Lets see if they can resolve it today.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:30   #419
Team-BHP Support

Tell me about it! Its a regular issue with my box as well. Switch on the TV and it says the TS box cant receive signal. Fiddle around with a few menu and channel options and suddenly everything is back to normal again. Surprisingly this happens with specific channels also (for me specifically History channel)...

Kind of fed up as the TS "engineer" fails to understand the issue and simply says some gobbldygook about antenna orientation when the whole thing is actually jammed with rusting and all and can't be moved even by him! And they charge you for every time they visit!
Old 19th November 2013, 12:41   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Tell me about it! Its a regular issue with my box as well. Switch on the TV and it says the TS box cant receive signal. Fiddle around with a few menu and channel options and suddenly everything is back to normal again. Surprisingly this happens with specific channels also (for me specifically History channel)...

Kind of fed up as the TS "engineer" fails to understand the issue and simply says some gobbldygook about antenna orientation when the whole thing is actually jammed with rusting and all and can't be moved even by him! And they charge you for every time they visit!
Happened for one channel (forget which one) during world cup. In my case the Tata Sky engineer was quite knowledgeable and diagnosed it promptly
. The errant channel is in the highest frequency band, hence most affected by weather and multipath propagation.
. The dish was slightly off; caused by wind or birds; so he realigned it.
. The situation improved a bit, but he was not satisfied, so he replaced the LNB with a newer version which was more sensitive.
. Problem solved

So ask the engineer who comes to check the dish alignment and if that does not solve the problem, change the LNB.

Last edited by Aroy : 19th November 2013 at 12:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks