Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2024, 18:48   #10216
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Please note that washer/driers will not dry a full wash load: the drying capacity is about half.

The dryer may well fail before the washer does. This experience is more than thirty ago, but probably still relevant. I had an upper-mid-market washer dryer (in London).

Past warranty, the drier failed. I called an engineer, who, after checking out the fault gave me plain answer: "If you have extended cover on this machine, I'll fix it and we can claim. If not, this is quite a high cost job, and you are better renaming it "washing" machine." Apparently, the faulty parts were not expensive, but, especially in a hard-water area, it was seldom possible to take it apart without stuff breaking, and I'd end up needing a new drum assembly.

So... Yes, they are convenient so long as they work, and the electricity consumption is not a problem. This is especially true in the British climate; not so much in the fifty-sunny-weeks-a-year climate I live in now. (That is hyperbole: not a meteorological fact )

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th May 2024 at 18:49.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 09:14   #10217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The higher the horsepower, the more water it will pump.

There may be actual pumping performance numbers but it will depend on how far up (if you are pumping from underground sump to pump, and how far up pump to overhead tank.

Electric consumption will increase for higher power of course.

Oh... you also pay for longevity. Our pump failed after five or six years. Pump man said new one would last five or six years. When I asked, could I have a ten-year pump he said "Sure!" And quoted twice the price.
The pumps used for lifting water from sumps to OHTs are usually low horse power and work on the Toricelli vaccum principle (IIRC). The water source has to be within 36 feet or so from the pump. But the distance to tank can be limitless, theoretically. In our apartment complex we have two overhead tanks, each 10k litres capacity. The sump pumps are vaccum monoblocks, just 0.5 hp each. They need to run for a little more than an hour in the mornings and evenings to fill the tanks. If the tanks run dry, it will take more than three hours. So we have a sensor/auto fill mechanism in place.

There are two jet pumps in two of our wells. These may be about 3-4 hp, and work by first creating a water jet which can propel the water to the OHT. These can work up to about 70 feet depth or so. But the intake valve needs to be positioned 3 feet above the floor of the well to avoid any soil being sucked up. And the water level must be at least five feet above the intake valve, to provide enough pressure for the water jet to work. Which means there will be eight feet of dead storage in the well when the pump stops working in Summers.

Then we have a 200 feet borewell for which we use a compressor pump situated on the surface, which makes a lot of noise. It has a much larger hp and consumes more power too. It is used to fill the sump on days the metro water does not come. If we want silence we can use a submersible pump in the borewell, but it will be messy and time consuming to get the pump out during summer months if something goes wrong. Then it may take a day or two to repair and install back. A surface pump is easily accessed and repaired. And less expensive.

For lifting water from a sump to a 1000 - 2000 litre second floor OHT, a half hp vaccum pump is sufficient. A one hp pump will be more than sufficient.

Speaking of longevity, our sump and borewell pumps are 23 years old. We have carried out some repairs over the years, of course. The jet pumps of the wells are at least thirty years old if not more. They had existed even when we had our independent houses on the property, before it became an apartment complex.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 21:51   #10218
Senior - BHPian

Would like to hear about members experience. Someone I know has purchased a LG 600+ ltr double door fridge about 1.5 yrs ago. Recently, he got a call from a person that company has a recall to replace some faulty parts. 2 technician came home and changed some parts. They didn't get anything signed nor shared any receipt. They didn't charge anything.

I'm wondering if this was a genuine case or something fishy? Has anyone else faced this type of situation?
Old 12th May 2024, 19:39   #10219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am looking to replace my clothes dryer, and while browsing came upon options which are washer-dryer combined.
Can anyone advise whether these are any good at either function, or is it just a gimmick?
I have a stand alone IFB dryer at home which works really well. It can dry a full load completely in about one hour. I spent the last two months in Europe and used a very expensive top of the line LG washer and dryer combo. The family home is enormous and has a back yard in acres. They usually dry their clothes on various apparatus in the back of the garden. We would take out the normal clothes but leave underwear for drying in the washer due to privacy reasons. Even after 3 drying cycles of 30 minutes each, these few small garments, which were 1/3rd of a full load, would not be completely dry. Therefore, I would recommend a stand alone dryer as far as possible. In fact, our family was so disappointed in the dryer that they had set up a dehumidifier in a room and they placed clothes on racks there and that dried them faster!
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 22:51   #10220
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't help wondering what it is about your underwear that you want to keep private!

More seriously... The best drier I lived with was a drying cabinet. This was just a box with rails across the top on which one hung clothes, and a small heat source at the bottom. It was old, and already no longer available: they were very effective, but apparently caused a lot of fires!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 10:56   #10221
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought an LG WM with drier. For drying it has the following modes
. Normal that is the clothes are barely moist ready for ironing
. Crease resistant, same as normal, but the machine will spray water every half hour so that the clothes are iron ready even hours after the cycle is over.
. DRY the clothes are bone dry. They may crease or not depending on material.

So technology has progressed.
Old 15th May 2024, 13:44   #10222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can anyone advise whether these are any good at either function, or is it just a gimmick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
I've had washer-dryers in rental apartments I've lived in the past and in my experience while there's little the distinguish the washer part, the dryer part either didn't work or was suboptimal compared to a dedicated dryer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
It is better to have a separate dryer for better and faster drying. If you are concerned about space then there is a dryer from IFB which can be wall mounted. I have the same one and quite happy with it.
Quote:
Please note that washer/driers will not dry a full wash load: the drying capacity is about half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I have a stand alone IFB dryer at home which works really well. It can dry a full load completely in about one hour. I spent the last two months in Europe and used a very expensive top of the line LG washer and dryer combo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I recently bought an LG WM with drier. For drying it has the following modes
So technology has progressed.
Have had first-hand experience at close relatives' houses using a LG and a Samsung condenser type washer-cum-dryer.

Found the experience deeply underwhelming possibly because we are used to standalone tumble dryers.
Both the combo machines were pretty expensive (as per Google), and took ages to dry the clothes (especially heavy stuff), and that too not fully or in a foldable condition either.
Further, a tray full of the condensed water (quantity depending on the clothes, wash cycle and humidity in the air) had to be emptied periodically.

On the other hand, our experience with a vented tumble dryer (first IFB for 5+ years, and now a Electrolux is much better. They are simpler machines, dry reasonably well (almost too much and hence need to be careful with mixed loads), generally avoid bad creasing, and collect a bunch of fluff which also keeps the clothes better. Downsides is they are somewhat noisy (especially the IFB), and you will need to vent them (pipe included) if in a closed space.

I'd strongly suggest a standalone dryer for your usage. My setup below with anti-vibration pads and Bosch covers. Before someone reacts to the stacking, we rarely wash unbalanced loads and am very careful with the loading. Hence, less chance of the washing machine throwing off the dryer
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_2673.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th May 2024 at 14:04.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 14:05   #10223
BHPian

Checking the amount of water the Aquaguard water filter is rejecting and really feeling bad. I have a drum to collect this water that I used for watering plants and some cleaning purpose.

Now with regular, almost daily rains, the drum is overflowing. The service guy says its normal but one of them had previously said the pump is not good. I think its not able to force water through the RO filter and is wasting a lot of water. Need to send the water to the sump back. The hardness is low since its Kaveri water and should not have an issue.

There should be some standard for water filters on volume of rejected water
Old 15th May 2024, 16:39   #10224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'd strongly suggest a standalone dryer for your usage. My setup below with anti-vibration pads and Bosch covers. Before someone reacts to the stacking, we rarely wash unbalanced loads and am very careful with the loading. Hence, less chance of the washing machine throwing off the dryer
I don't think stacking is that big an issue, especially if the machine is rated for it (I vaguely remember finding a line in the manual that essentially states as much). As long as the feet are adjusted properly whereby you don't get any movement when the washer is at max RPM, you can stack a corresponding dryer on top, especially the simpler vented types. Those are relatively light compared to the heat pump models. Mostly though having them stacked is just that much more convenient. The halfway house option I have seen is folks building in a heavy duty platform for the dryer to rest on. I've only seen one instance though where that platform was on wheeled channels so you could draw out the dryer if required, a neat feature indeed if wanting to get in behind the appliance. Similarly you could have a panel that slides out to give a space to rest your laundry basket or fold the dry stuff as it comes out. Obviously all of that involves a bit of building the enclosure etc.

I still stand on the hill that if you can, just stump up for a heat pump dryer. Way better in the long run all things considered if you can just get over the initial high purchase cost.

Quote:
Can't help wondering what it is about your underwear that you want to keep private!

More seriously... The best drier I lived with was a drying cabinet. This was just a box with rails across the top on which one hung clothes, and a small heat source at the bottom. It was old, and already no longer available: they were very effective, but apparently caused a lot of fires!
Pretty sure you don't get planning permission for those drying cabinets anymore. I've seen those spaces converted into just regular old storage spaces in some of the older houses I've seen. Not to mention your home insurance probably won't stand for it.
Old 15th May 2024, 16:48   #10225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I have a stand alone IFB dryer at home which works really well.
As do I. The Standard Warranty on my machine will expire this month end, and I called the service technician to come in and do a basic check + clean the machine. (I received a call some time back from IFB saying this was a free service they are offering, since my machine is in warranty).

I enquired with the technician today if IFB offers AMC on the machine. They do, ~2800 for a year, and 4200 for two.

How's the experience been for those who've had the machine for long? Main / rather only major expense I can think of, is the motor. Is that susceptible to failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I recently bought an LG WM with drier.
What's the energy consumption like? Also, would you prefer this, over a standalone Dryer (if you've had one before).
Old 15th May 2024, 17:10   #10226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think stacking is that big an issue
In my humble opinion, machines that can be stacked are made to be stackable. But probably its fine if all is levelled properly.

Quote:
Pretty sure you don't get planning permission for those drying cabinets anymore.
This was a stand-alone steel cabinet. Very old.
Old 15th May 2024, 17:16   #10227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
As do I. The Standard Warranty on my machine will expire this month end, and I called the service technician to come in and do a basic check + clean the machine. (I received a call some time back from IFB saying this was a free service they are offering, since my machine is in warranty).

I enquired with the technician today if IFB offers AMC on the machine. They do, ~2800 for a year, and 4200 for two.

How's the experience been for those who've had the machine for long?.
I have IFB dryer which can be wall mounted and never had any issue for past 5 years except had to change one of the rotary knobs (200 bucks). Other than that it has been trouble and maintenance free. Not sure if it needs AMC or any particular regular service. Please be careful of so called official calls from company service center. I have found them to be fake most of the time (I keep getting calls for chimney, water purifier, hob, WM etc).

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 15th May 2024 at 17:17.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 17:51   #10228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Other than that it has been trouble and maintenance free.
Same with ours. Was just curious if there were any post warranty period issues.

Quote:
Please be careful of so called official calls from company service center. I have found them to be fake most of the time
I booked this service by calling IFB Customer Care. I typically always register service requests online or IVR. If I get a call for any appliance (which are in plenty as you mentioned), I tell them I'll only do so online. And use their employee code if it helps them.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 18:35   #10229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I still stand on the hill that if you can, just stump up for a heat pump dryer. Way better in the long run all things considered if you can just get over the initial high purchase cost.
Agree, but 70K for a dryer? Is the electricity savings delta that substantial?

Bespoke stacking kits also intermittently available in India but prohibitively priced at 8K++.

Quote:
How's the experience been for those who've had the machine for long? Main / rather only major expense I can think of, is the motor. Is that susceptible to failure?
Had the 5.5kg one and it was running smoothly even after 6 years except too noisily during WFH times .

Only issues faced was the fragile door clamp which broke twice. First time I got it fixed for ~500 bucks (seemed too much to spend on a service visit), and second time just jammed a plastic pin into it which served the same purpose.

Quote:
Please be careful of so called official calls from company service center. I have found them to be fake most of the time (I keep getting calls for chimney, water purifier, hob, WM etc).
IFB, KAFF and Faber and Aquaguard (especially) have a whole scamster 'service' industry. Always go to their official website (confirm) and get service requests logged through them. Bunch of crooks play upon the unwary or elderly even in our reasonably well-off society estate.

As a thumb rule, any official tech who also claims to be able to miraculously carry other OEMs’ accessories are suspect.

Quote:
I booked this service by calling IFB Customer Care. I typically always register service requests online or IVR. If I get a call for any appliance (which are in plenty as you mentioned), I tell them I'll only do so online. And use their employee code if it helps them.
Correct way!

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th May 2024 at 18:47.
Old 17th May 2024, 09:01   #10230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same with ours. Was just curious if there were any post warranty issues
I am not sure when my warranty ended but I have been using it for last 5 years and no issues so far. It doesn't have complicated electronics panel or parts so I'm assuming it is more reliable than other home appliances and may not need AMC or any additional service.
Only cause of concern are plastic knob and door close clamp which I believe are fairly cheap to replace and also may not require AMC.

What did they service when you called them?

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 17th May 2024 at 09:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks