Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2024, 21:38   #10201
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

The higher the horsepower, the more water it will pump.

There may be actual pumping performance numbers but it will depend on how far up (if you are pumping from underground sump to pump, and how far up pump to overhead tank.

Electric consumption will increase for higher power of course.

Do you have an automatic sensor/switching system? We have. We never have to think of it. Tank will be topped up when it goes a little below half. We don't really notice or mind how long that takes, because we don't have to be waiting to switch it off.

Oh... you also pay for longevity. Our pump failed after five or six years. Pump man said new one would last five or six years. When I asked, could I have a ten-year pump he said "Sure!" And quoted twice the price.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th May 2024 at 21:40.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 22:52   #10202
phi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Noob query.
I have a 1000 liter water tank above the second floor. It takes close to 45 -50 mins to fill this fully with the motor we have now. The earlier one which we had to replace after multiple complaints was much faster. I need to replace it with a more powerful one. What should I seek in a motor to ensure that there is more power and the tank gets filled faster?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The higher the horsepower, the more water it will pump.

Electric consumption will increase for higher power of course.
I have a similar setup - with two tanks mounted on the second floor terrace, one for each floor. Each tank has a pump that fills water from a sump (3m lower from the pump) to an overhead tank (15m higher than the pump). One is a 0.5HP pump, and this takes around 20 mins to fill the tank. The other one (which us is a new one that I fitted to replace an old 0.5HP one that broke down) is 1HP - this one fills the tank in 8 mins. (I have an automatic sensor system too, so we do not bother in normal course - I just measured after turning it off when we fitted the pump last time, just out of curiosity). The reason why I upgraded the pump was for longevity - a higher capacity pump has to work less and will suffer less wear and heat stress.

45-50 mins is pretty long, so I think you might be lifting water across more height.

Watch out for the pressure rating of your water pipe too when increasing the pump HP. Both the total height and the pump horsepower would have impact on pressure on the pipes during pumping, and pipes could burst if the pump is too powerful. AFAIK, upto 1.5HP should be pretty safe with residential pipes, but it would be good to confirm with your plumber.

And electrical consumption might not be that higher, if the water usage remains the same. A higher HP pump works for a shorter duration, and the difference in consumption is upto the difference in efficiency of the pumps. The higher HP pump might end up consuming slightly less power over the day too.

Last edited by phi : 8th May 2024 at 23:07. Reason: added reason for pump upgrade.
phi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 09:13   #10203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Noob query.
I have a 1000 liter water tank above the second floor. It takes close to 45 -50 mins to fill this fully with the motor we have now. The earlier one which we had to replace after multiple complaints was much faster. I need to replace it with a more powerful one. What should I seek in a motor to ensure that there is more power and the tank gets filled faster?
In addition to what other members have said, check the amount of bends in pipe from the sump to the overhead tank. Each bend has a pressure penalty and will decrease the pumping pressure by some margin. Check if you can reduce the amount of bends in the system.

If you increase the pump HP rating, you need to increase the pipe diameter as well to see a proportionate increase in flow
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 15:34   #10204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have an automatic sensor/switching system? We have. We never have to think of it. Tank will be topped up when it goes a little below half. We don't really notice or mind how long that takes, because we don't have to be waiting to switch it off.

Oh... you also pay for longevity. Our pump failed after five or six years. Pump man said new one would last five or six years. When I asked, could I have a ten-year pump he said "Sure!" And quoted twice the price.
Want to second this - we briefly replaced our vintage pump that came with our house in India with a relatively cheap one. It gave up the ghost fairly quickly. Mum won over in arguing for an expensive one and it's been chugging along for absolutely years at this point.

The automatic system is great too! No more blame game with someone forgetting to turn on the pump. I only came to know about it through reading it somewhere on Team BHP. It's been a massive quality of life improvement.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 16:27   #10205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
we briefly replaced our vintage pump that came with our house
We did that at one point too. Probably a bad move: those vintage machines had a huge amount of life in them, and great scope for repair!
Old 9th May 2024, 17:30   #10206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We did that at one point too. Probably a bad move: those vintage machines had a huge amount of life in them, and great scope for repair!
I remember it being this enormous thing. It was repaired and soldiered on for a while but eventually it conked out. Must've had a healthy amount of copper in it, so expecting it got stripped down for the metal even after death.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 18:20   #10207
Distinguished - BHPian

Air fryer usefulness

Can members who are using Air fryers for a long time(>6 months) share their experience with the usefulness of this product? Do you use it frequently and has it made your eating healthier?

I am sitting on the fence with the purchase. I do not want to buy it and end up sitting on the shelf to be used occasionally.
Old 9th May 2024, 18:35   #10208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still have the old compressor type pump for the borewell at home. Kicks up quite a racket but works just fine. I give it for service once in 4yrs or so and touch wood it's still going on.

That thing should be around 20-30yrs old!

Plumber keeps telling me to go for a submersible pump but am loath to change something that is working fine.
Old 9th May 2024, 20:57   #10209
BHPian

Quote:
Noob query.
If you have a 1000 liter tank and it takes 50min, that means your pump is pumping at a piss poor 20 liter/min or roughly 0.3 liter/sec. For the same time as yours, my pump fills 2500 to 2700 liters with 0.5hp pump at a total head height of 16 to 18 meters depending on sump water level. This head height includes the total sum of all pressure loss as indicated by a meter.

If you can tell me the the pipe diameter of the suction port and discharge port of your current pump and the total length of the pipe in vertical direction including the pipe that goes into the sump or open-well (till the foot valve) and separately the total length in horizontal direction and the total number of bends from foot valve till tank. Only then can one recommended a pump scientifically.

Putting more HP doesn't always makes sense due to higher power consumption and bottlenecks else where.

But one thing to note is that 1hp pumps are on average 10% more efficient then 0.5hp pump. A three phase pump is a further 10% more efficient then a single phase pump. But a 3 phase pump will need phase failure protection device.

Most 0.5hp motor(excluding the pump section) have a electrical to mechanical efficiency of 37% to 60%, when its operating at 50% load and 100% load respectively. On the other hand a 1 hp motor will have a electrical to mechanical efficiency of 60% to 72% at 50% and 100% load respectively.

We then have to factor in the pump efficiency, which includes motor efficiency loss and pumping fluid design efficiency loss, most of the pumps sold in India are less then 18% total efficiency. Even a BEE 5 star rated pump is only around 30% efficient which itself is a inflated result.

Last edited by DIY410 : 9th May 2024 at 20:58.
DIY410 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 08:27   #10210
BHPian

Re: Air fryer usefulness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can members who are using Air fryers for a long time(>6 months) share their experience with the usefulness of this product? Do you use it frequently and has it made your eating healthier?

I am sitting on the fence with the purchase. I do not want to buy it and end up sitting on the shelf to be used occasionally.

If you already happen to have a convection MWO, you could try that for air frying (although it won't be as efficient for the purpose).

In case you don't, you could buy one depending on your requirements and expectations. It would surely cut down on the oil usage for the limited number of dishes you'd prepare, but it won't produce an exact copy of the corresponding dish prepared in a conventional manner. You might still like the results though, but only you can decide.

Mine does sit on the shelf mostly, -- not because I don't like the foods prepared in it (and I love the aroma during cooking), but because

(1) I don't really think I need to eat any healthier :-).

(2) I don't enjoy the hassle of cleaning up afterwards.

(3) It also requires additional counter space.

It should really be your call, but if you still want to try one out, there are two ways to look at it:

1) Buy one that is better made (like a Philips), rather than the flimsy cheaper ones available in the market (like a Prestige, for example). Then you'll be all set if you do like the results.

Or ...

2) Buy a cheap one (3-4k) just to try out the idea of air frying. Then, if you don't like it, it won't pinch as much! :-). And if you do like it, you could always replace that with a better one when it fails.

-- Not much help, eh? :-)
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 10:51   #10211
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking to replace my clothes dryer, and while browsing came upon options which are washer-dryer combined.
Can anyone advise whether these are any good at either function, or is it just a gimmick?
Old 10th May 2024, 11:20   #10212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
If you have a 1000 liter tank and it takes 50min, that means your pump is pumping at a piss poor 20 liter/min or roughly 0.3 liter/sec. For the same time as yours, my pump fills 2500 to 2700 liters with 0.5hp pump at a total head height of 16 to 18 meters depending on sump water level. This head height includes the total sum of all pressure loss as indicated by a meter.

At my house 4000 liter tanks get filled in 22min with 1.5hp Crompton submersible pump. The pump is at 70 feet in borewell and tanks are located at 4th floor.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 11:49   #10213
Senior - BHPian

We have 2 x 1000L tanks on the stair case roof - say 30 feet above tank.

Our previous pump was 1/2HP and it took 1.5 hours to fill the tanks (when empty). Now e
we have replaced it with 1HP pump and the time taken is around 45 min.

Note the time depends on these factors

. Power of pump
. Level difference between pump and the water in the tank. The larger it is the longer will it take. Most of the domestic pumps mention 1m for their specified pumping rate.
. Level difference between the pump and the overhead tank. The more it is the longer it will take.
. Diameter and condition of the pipe. narrow (1/2 inch) pipe have more resistance hence the LPM (liters per minute) reduces. Larger diameter pipe (1 inch or more) have less resistance hence larger water flow. Similarly an older GI pipe that is corroded inside will restrict water flow. It is best to use UPVC pipes nowadays.

As far as manufacturer is concerned, most manufacturers selling nationally have similar quality. To check select a few pumps on Amazon and read the review both on Amazon and on the net.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 11:52   #10214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am looking to replace my clothes dryer, and while browsing came upon options which are washer-dryer combined.
Can anyone advise whether these are any good at either function, or is it just a gimmick?
Wouldn't say it's a gimmick. It's more of a halfway house solution for those who don't have the space for two separate appliances. I've had washer-dryers in rental apartments I've lived in the past and in my experience while there's little the distinguish the washer part, the dryer part either didn't work or was suboptimal compared to a dedicated dryer. Would pretty much have to finish drying on an airer. Also because of the washer function, the dryer drum size gets limited, so I seem to remember them having smaller capacities.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 16:23   #10215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
It is better to have a separate dryer for better and faster drying. If you are concerned about space then there is a dryer from IFB which can be wall mounted. I have the same one and quite happy with it.
Aviator_guy is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks