Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 15:18   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Does any brand manufacture refrigerators which open the 'other way round? What I mean is, when we stand in front facing the refrigerator, the door hinges are on the right side. I am looking for one with the hinges on the left side to better utilize an available space.
Old 30th June 2010, 15:29   #1007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Any input guys......................?

For those looking for 100% dry, look at a post by the Yeti (Sam Kapasi) several pages back.
Old 30th June 2010, 15:29   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Does any brand manufacture refrigerators which open the 'other way round? What I mean is, when we stand in front facing the refrigerator, the door hinges are on the right side. I am looking for one with the hinges on the left side to better utilize an available space.
I remember Godrej coming out with one such refrigerators long time back which had the option of interchanging the door location. Dont know if still there.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:11   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Elica Chimney and Hobs

I have installed Elica chimney and hob yesterday after much deliberations between Gilma, Cata C, Faber etc. Range of hobs are good and Elica is good reputed company in Europe and US.

However, they have just begun their sales in India. They have opened Service Center too in Bangalore.

Total Cost of Chimney and Hob (Individual Selection)

1. Chimney: 7K (With Two Baffle Filters and Option for charcoal filter). 850m3 suction capacity

2. Three burner glass top hob (2 Medium and one Small burner) with electric ignition - 13K

3. Installation and Materials - Appx 2K (Including Granite cut/small carpenter work).

Initial impression is good and I will report problems etc later (If I get)
Old 30th June 2010, 16:58   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian

You can test the suction of your chimney by shutting the kitchen door --- I am quite surprised that I can really feel the suction from ours.

Err... This assumes, of course, that the windows are closed!
Old 30th June 2010, 16:58   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I remember Godrej coming out with one such refrigerators long time back which had the option of interchanging the door location. Dont know if still there.
We have an Electrolux refrigerator in our house where we could interchange the door hinges depending on the convenience. But this was bought around 8-9 years back. Don't know if today's refrigerators have them.
Old 30th June 2010, 17:52   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@RJ - Washing machines - Go for IFB or Whirlpool, they know how to make one.
Totally agree with you.

Till now I have bought 3 IFB front load washing machines.
1st IFB ELITE DX for my house in Goa @21.5K some 4-5 years back
2nd IFB ELENA for my sis in Goa @ 15.6K some 3 years back
3rd IFB Diva for me here in Pune @ 12K 1 year back

Note: I also used Whirlpool 1-2 1-2 semi auto for 6 moths before buying IFB Diva.

Believe me or not, a 12K work IFB Diva has enough wash programs and is more than enough to cater washing needs of a family of 4 adults!! The only thing you don't have in it is hot wash option which I can live without.

We absolutely had no problems servicing these machines. I would highly recommend IFB Diva Front Loading washer over any top loading in the range of 10K to 18K.
Old 30th June 2010, 21:52   #1013
BHPian

Thanks guys.
Also saw the post of Sam and TheOne®.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:25   #1014
BHPian

Guys

as for washing machine..

front loader scores over top loader by miles

so now on front loader..the direct drive & steam is the latest but only available with the korean fellas as yet

I have had a wonderful experience with IFB (1995 - 2000), the wash cycles are well calliberated to Indian requirment and detergents, we had to do away with it during re-location

later on we bought whirlpool europa, although it is still running but has many ailments, and we have done many bypass surgeries to it's circuitry to make it go on, even the front panel has rusted now

so whenever it finally gives up on us we will go in for either a IFB (though it is not the same anymore)

or for Siemens for which we have heard some great feedback from fellow users

Fridge

here also we had a whirlpool, we had to upgrade for size reason

after researching I zeroed in on Panasonic, primarily on the confidence of Japanese Quality (though it may be manufactured in Thailand or Malasia) and for the design - the freezer section is at the bottom and has double vegetable tray at waist level

it is a beauty, and is completely soundless, the waist level vegetable tray is a boon for the ladies of the house as no more bending down and is easy to clean as well, I guess it is no secret that Indian household uses more of fresh vegetables rather than frozen stuff, hence the freezer at the bottom is no problem at all

I personally over years have started preffering Japanese and Europen stuff over their counterparts from Korea, China or even US

it may cost a buck extra but they go that extra mile and score high on worthiness

Last edited by Anupam : 30th June 2010 at 22:32.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:15   #1015
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing about Siemens...

We called out a Siemens engineer to look at my ex-UK Bosch machine when a dead rat destroyed the main controller board. The call-out charge is Rs.1,000!

The machines should be very long-lasting, but if anything does go wrong, it will be expensive.

If I remember rightly (we resurrected our machine with a spare part from abroad) the engineer mentioned that, if we were to buy Siemens, he recommended the mid-range as being most reliable.

If and when we do buy again (none of these machines are immortal. Miele, the Rolls Royce of washing machines, claims to engineer their stuff to last 25 years! It is hugely expensive) would certainly look at Siemens. For some reason I have a "brand" loyalty to these German companies like Bosch, Braun, VW ...
Old 1st July 2010, 01:44   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Almost all manufacturers have designs that allow the doors to be mirrored/reversed. That is the same door can be mounted on the other side as the hinges are only at the very top and the very bottom.

Just check with the dealer for specific models that have these feature.
Old 1st July 2010, 01:53   #1017
Senior - BHPian

25 years!!! Wouldn't the technology change 3-5 folds by then? During our last washing machine purchase, I casually stumbled upon Siemens. IIRC the price was around 25K. Not bad for 25 years.
Old 1st July 2010, 03:04   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

It's Miele that do (or did) offer the 25-yr thing. All sorts of stuff like enamelled-steel case, rather than paint. Technology? It has a port for upgrading the firmware, of course!

My mother bought one of their tumble driers in about 2003 or 4. She was getting to an age where salesmen found it fairly easy to convince her that she must have something. It was 700 GBP (about 45,000: more then, when the £ was worth more against the Rp). Even one as extravagant as I was shocked. Miele is my aspiration washing machine

My Bosch is going well, although it only washed for a single person for most of its life. Without that rate, it would have given no trouble at all. Rust is peeking through on some of the corners of the cabinet (which I should do something about) but I do expect ten years out of it. It was quite expensive, but not Miele prices. I doubt that Bosch/Siemens would do 25 years, especially with a family. Mine would probably prefer not to be effectively outside (in a covered passage way) so far as atmosphere/humidity is concerned.

Afterthought. Somebody mentioned...

Drier Venting

Someone mentioned that a drier has to be vented. Some have condensers, and store up the water in a tank that you must empty regularly. Non-condenser machines must, indeed, either be permanently ventilated, or have a thick flexible pipe that you take to a door or window. Washer-Driers, of course, deal with the water by condensing it and pumping it out just like the wash water.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st July 2010 at 03:09.
Old 1st July 2010, 08:39   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
front loader scores over top loader by miles. In what way can you elaborate please. I am in the process of making the shift from the top loading to the front loading this coming festive season and would be of great help.

after researching I zeroed in on Panasonic, primarily on the confidence of Japanese Quality (though it may be manufactured in Thailand or Malasia) and for the design - the freezer section is at the bottom and has double vegetable tray at waist level
it is a beauty, and is completely soundless, the waist level vegetable tray is a boon for the ladies of the house as no more bending down and is easy to clean as well, I guess it is no secret that Indian household uses more of fresh vegetables rather than frozen stuff, hence the freezer at the bottom is no problem at all
I zeroed in on the Hitachi, 3 drawer 260 ltrs fridge. I can 100% vouch on the Japs quality. It has the same config as the Panasonic. In fact I had initially opted for the Panasonic but chanced upon a great deal on Hitachi. It is so silent that my wife often checks whether it is on or not. Has been a great help for my wife for veg storage. All in all a fantastic product
I had got my Hitachi thru second's sale and costed me 18K when the asking price for a brand new one was around 32K. It has a minor defect which I could not identify and was pointed out by the sales guy to be at the bootm with a small dent. Guess I'm lucky.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:00   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I have installed Elica chimney and hob yesterday after much deliberations between Gilma, Cata C, Faber etc. Range of hobs are good and Elica is good reputed company in Europe and US.
One more thing I noticed that Most of the chimneys from Elica comes with lifetime warranty. Also they have value back scheme. It means If I return this chimney to dealer after 10 years. I will get discount of 100% of my current purchase price.

3 Years: 30%
5 Years 50%
7 Years 75%
10 Years 100%

of my current purchased price.

Glass top hob with three burners are heating well and there is no issue of less heating or late cooking (As many members complained in this fourm). Also hob is completely packed from top, so even water get spilled over it, it will not go down. From side it is packed with dual side high quality tape.

My, initial impression is good and satisfactory for both product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks