Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2022, 10:37   #9451
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

all companies just do branding , appliances are centrally made in mostly china , Don,t fall for gimmicks like quick de-frost etc .

Take the one with the best warranty and after sales . Keep it at a distance from the wall and check the door seals every 5 years .
Old 15th April 2022, 19:56   #9452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post

I would like a chimney which would suck up the smoke and fumes/odours and deposit it out of the kitchen through a plastic conduit pipe. Powerful suction and quiet operation are paramount factors.

I am being offered a brand called "Sleek" and "Prestige" by the local brick and mortar shop but I have never heard of these brands wrt kitchen chimneys. I also cannot find them on Amazon at all.
We have couple of chimney's from Prestige at home. It is the same TTK Prestige group which has many Kitchen appliances and quite famous in TN. It used to be available in Amazon too earlier. They don't have many models like Faber or Elica but their models are mostly based on baffle filter to cater the heat and oil of Indian kitchen. Suction is okay and does the job but are really noisy. No service experience as we did not require any for the last 3 years. If your primary need is quiet operation, it is not the one to choose.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 14:14   #9453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My man said that the Duracell batteries have higher voltage and the clock mechanism gets hot. I didn't argue but dismissed it mentally as rubbish. They are good at watch and clock repairs, though, so we still go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
He's right, my Seiko clock movement was repaired with the same comment at Richfield, Safina plaza. I don't use Duracell in any of my clocks now and none of them have given me trouble. We have a Seiko clock that lasted nearly 3 decades, of course for most of that time Duracell wasn't available.

Just a few points to note:

1. The voltage supplied by alkalines is decided by the technology, and not by any roadside clock repairman. There is not much to choose between the voltage levels of the alkalines and those from the Carbon-Zincs (the nominal level supplied by fresh cells from either technology being ~1.5V).

2. This fresh-cell voltage falls below this nominal voltage soon enough during use. So it's not like the device keeps cooking under this claimed too-high voltage, even if it were true!

3. I doubt if these repairmen really know what it takes for the clock mechanism to get damaged due to "getting hot"! If it does happen somehow, it would be pretty much impossible to fix it, short of replacing the whole mechanism!

4. Last but not the least, I suspect that the designers of these devices do know a bit more than these repairmen, -- like how to design a functional device with reasonable tolerance levels on a set of input parameters. The expected power sources, for example.

Bottomline, I suspect that on job, these repairmen get good at finding common problems that are easily fixed. All these technical-sounding nonsense they spout willy-nilly only to impress customers who are usually not interested and/or are even unable to query critically to learn the real reason behind the failures, as long as they have their things back fixed to their satisfaction.
meerkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 15:59   #9454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a new chimney for the kitchen as, for various reasons, fitting an exhaust fan is not feasible/possible.

I would like a chimney which would suck up the smoke and fumes/odours and deposit it out of the kitchen through a plastic conduit pipe. Powerful suction and quiet operation are paramount factors.

SS
Bosch. Just head to their showroom and buy it. Made in India, and has the highest suction power of all models in the non-extravagant side of things.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 11:23   #9455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Bosch. Just head to their showroom and buy it. Made in India, and has the highest suction power of all models in the non-extravagant side of things.
Hi Red Liner,

Thanks for your quick response. I am afraid that I have had bad experiences with all German Household appliances that I have bought in the past and hence am loathe to go down that road again. Their products are not long lasting and repair costs are astronomical.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 03:17   #9456
BHPian

Hello,
We are using borewell water for our daily needs and wanted to install an under the counter water filter in Kitchen. Kindly suggest some best ones in the business. Water level depth in borewell is 500 feet.
Thanks,
Ramki
Old 18th April 2022, 10:06   #9457
BHPian

Here is a review of my Mealthy multipot:

I bought a 6 liter Mealthy multipot in October 2021. I have been using it mainly on weekends since I do not trust my cook to handle it properly. Recently, I noticed that one of the screws in the handle was loose and couldn't be tightened. I tried contacting the customer care number mentioned on their site, but the call was never answered. I sent a mail to their customer care, and their response was that the lid was not covered by their warranty and that I should pay and get the lid replaced. I asked them to send a replacement screw which I could try. The reply was still the same.

I told them that I do not see that as a satisfactory resolution due to the following reasons:
1. It is not a component that affects the pressure seal and is just one of the screws that hold the handle to the lid. There is no need to replace the lid before checking if the problem can be fixed by changing a screw.

2. If it is not a problem with the screw, could it be a design flaw? It should definitely last more than this period with careful usage.

Overall, I think the Mealthy multipot is good appliance to have in the kitchen. However, I am not happy with the service provided. They are either technically incompetent or their idea of service is limited to replacing the lid or the body, depending on where the complaint was reported.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 11:24   #9458
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Red Liner,

Thanks for your quick response. I am afraid that I have had bad experiences with all German Household appliances that I have bought in the past and hence am loathe to go down that road again. Their products are not long lasting and repair costs are astronomical.

Regards,
SS
You have a lot of brands to choose from - Faber, Elica, Whirlpool, Glen, KAFF, Gilma, etc. Choose from one of these for which service is better in your city/area. Bosch and Siemens are easily minimum 3+ times the cost of the other brands and from demos and personal experience I have seen that the performance across brands is the same with same/similar features and suction capacity. Faber, Elica, Whirlpool, Glen will have better servicing. Gilma has good service in Karnataka mostly since the manufacturing unit is near Bangalore.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 10:19   #9459
Senior - BHPian

"A regular AA battery has a nominal charge of 1.5, but when it's fresh or brand new, it will have 1.65. The full capacity of the alkaline battery will be considered dead when it reaches about 1.4 volts."

"What should AAA battery voltage be?
0.9 to 1.5V
Appliances and devices that require AA batteries are usually designed to work within the range of 0.9 to 1.5V. Note that while Panasonic eneloop AA batteries have a lower voltage, they are capable of maintaining a steady discharge rate at around 1.0V throughout its use.

"Lithium batteries, as opposed to alkaline, are capable of giving off a strong energy surge after a long period of low discharge. This makes them ideal for fire alarms. Alkaline batteries provide good, long-term power, but they lose strength over time."

https://turbofuture.com/industrial/K...e-in-Equipment

Some battery fact from the NET.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 10:28   #9460
Distinguished - BHPian

I find the AA/AAA batteries still have good amount of juice left in them after they are used in the FireTV stick remote and newer age TV remotes and also the clocks. I use the discarded batteries in my wireless mouse since it consumes very less power and works till the battery voltage drops to 0.6~0.7 volts. I do not remember the last time when I put fresh batteries in my wireless mouse. Each of these recycled batteries last more than a month in the mouse and by the time I will have more discarded batteries at my disposal.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:30   #9461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Red Liner,

Regards,
SS
Which german brands did you buy from?
Old 19th April 2022, 12:10   #9462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Which german brands did you buy from?
Siemens Fridge and Washing Machine.

Plus friends Bosch fridge which was a disaster.

Cheers,
SS
Old 19th April 2022, 12:24   #9463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Siemens Fridge and Washing Machine.

Plus friends Bosch fridge which was a disaster.

Cheers,
SS
Ouch! What happened to them? Died?

Also was the fridge made in india or germany?

Was the WM made in India or Turkey?
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 18:21   #9464
Distinguished - BHPian

Battery checking.

I have a full-featured digital clamp/multimeter, but I recently got one of these:

Name:  IMG_20220419_180734.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  82.1 KB

It's great. Battery voltage checked before I would have even unzipped the case of the multimeter!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 10:18   #9465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Ouch! What happened to them? Died?

Also was the fridge made in india or germany?

Was the WM made in India or Turkey?
Hi,

Sorry but I have no recollection of where they were made.
The front panel of the fridge failed twice costing 5k each time.
Numerous problems with the washing machine.

Regards,
SS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks