Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 00:55   #8806
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanlover2021 View Post
Any BHPIANS have good experience with recent LG front load washing machines? I have a 6 year old Samsung front load washing machine which has been a pain to own. Now the motor itself is gone kaput which they are saying will be replaced under 10 year warranty but I am expecting change in PCB and other parts costing about 6-7000 from my end. Is it worth putting such and amount in a 6 year old washing machine? I am torn between a Bosch 9Kg model which I can get for 38.8 K in bangalore vs a LG 9 KG for 33K. Both are 9 Kg frontloads similar rpm at 1400. The LG however does use up lesser water. Would be good to hear from fellow BHPians on next course of action!
Front-load machines are a pain to own and the guy who I buy all our appliances from has consistently advised us against ever opting for it. I recently opted for a LG Top-load machine to replace the almost 10-year old Whirlpool which served us loyally. Coming to your query, my cousin recently opted for the LG front load one you've shortlisted. Turns out, the guys from two different showrooms advised against opting for the Bosch model. Also, LG service still remains top-class amongst all brands currently. My experience with all LG appliances has always been good. Touchwood.
Old 22nd July 2021, 04:30   #8807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Front-load machines are a pain to own and the guy who I buy all our appliances from has consistently advised us against ever opting for it.
This really seems to be a cultural thing. Having grown used to front loaders for decades in Britain, I was amazed to see top loaders still in use, in India, and in Singapore! To me, they are just things of the past! Of course, they have moved on since the ones I used way back then. But, there has been only one front-loader that, over the decades, for me, actually was any sort of pain to use, or own --- so I would doubt the advice.
Quote:
Turns out, the guys from two different showrooms advised against opting for the Bosch model.
This might well be sincere, informed advice, but I'd want good reasons for it.

My Bosch machine has been doing fine since January 2016.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 06:25   #8808
BHPian

Quote:
Front-load machines are a pain to own
I would agree but conditionally.
Yes, it is a pain for those who are constantly on the move. Being heavy and requiring locking of components during shifting, it is not too easy for consumers with transferable job or tenants.
Most of the people who are against it complain of difficulty in bending down to feed and remove clothes from the drum. Machines are built to ease our life, but not to the extent that we cannot stoop just couple of times a day or two.
Others feel a pinch when it comes at a price twice at the cost of Top Loading ones.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 06:26   #8809
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This really seems to be a cultural thing. Having grown used to front loaders for decades in Britain, I was amazed to see top loaders still in use, in India, and in Singapore!
US is also mostly top load - 70% top-load & 30% front-load. I have also used top load all my life. Never used a front-load except for a month at a guest house.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 07:03   #8810
BHPian

Quote:
Any BHPIANS have good experience with recent LG front load washing machines?
Quote:
Front-load machines are a pain to own and the guy who I buy all our appliances from has consistently advised us against ever opting for it.
We replaced our LG front-load washing machine after 17 years of use. In 17 years of usage, we had to call service engineer thrice,
  • PCB went kaput within 6 months, due to moisture in bathroom where it was kept. replaced under warranty.
  • Four years ago (13 years), bearing and shocks went bad. Replaced by local repair guy.
  • Last year, bearing went bad, and bracket had scale build up. Bracket no longer available. Only replaced bearing with same bracket.
Last two issue could be avoided, had we insisted using anchor bolt while shifting the house 7 years ago. During shift one of the shocks damaged. Machine was running with all its dancing during spin cycle. We called service engineer once bearing needed replacement.

We moved to Bosch front load washing machine 8KG/1400rpm. We went with Bosch based on multiple feedback from close friends.

Too early to judge machine. As of now it's quiet, even while spinning at 1400rpm. Water pressure sensor is sensitive, cribs low pressure.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 22nd July 2021 at 07:13. Reason: Spelling, rewording
RaguHolla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:14   #8811
BHPian

I have positioned my Front Loading Machine raised from Floor for ease of cleaning the floor below it.
I have used 'Frooti' drink bottle (cut about 5 inch), filled bottom part with Cement + Gravel Concrete, pasted a Rubber Sheet and pasted it on the Floor with Rubber based adhesive. Painted all White. Used Rubber thick sole of Flip-Flops pasted under the W/M mountings.
Sufficient to absorb all vibrations.

The Home Appliance thread-20210722_090437.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-20210722_090413.jpg

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 22nd July 2021 at 09:17.
Amrik Singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:34   #8812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I would agree but conditionally.
Yes, it is a pain for those who are constantly on the move. Being heavy and requiring locking of components during shifting, it is not too easy for consumers with transferable job or tenants...
If one is that much on the move then one should probably avoid all large domestic equipment. A front-loader certainly needs a dedicated position, but it does not take long to install and balance it.

Otherwise, yes, it is a matter of personal choice: each to their own.

Quote:
I have positioned my Front Loading Machine raised from Floor for ease of cleaning the floor below it.
I have used 'Frooti' drink bottle (cut about 5 inch), filled bottom part with Cement + Gravel Concrete...
Frankly, I don't like this at all. I have found that even the best-balanced machine can get shaky with certain loads, like a single thick towel. If that happens, your machine could go flying, and a bucking washing is seriously destructive.

I guess top loaders may be less sensitive in that respect? Then I shall have to concede that point (signed Front-Loader-Fanboy )

PS... Although we did it as potential flood flood protection, raising our front-loader on blocks has also made it more comfortable to load/unload.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd July 2021 at 14:36.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:55   #8813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have used 'Frooti' drink bottle (cut about 5 inch), filled bottom part with Cement + Gravel Concrete, pasted a Rubber Sheet and pasted it on the Floor with Rubber based adhesive. Painted all White. Used Rubber thick sole of Flip-Flops pasted under the W/M mountings.
Sufficient to absorb all vibrations.
Don't mean to nitpick but that doesn't look safe. Those blocks are not fixed and it looks possible that they can tumble. If that happens while the machine is operating, it can be become an unguided rocket in your house.

To clean underneath, we simply pull the machine aside once in a few months. Some muscle power, but not too much of a hassle. As Thad says, top loaders are less susceptible to balancing issues, but I won't take that chance against the heavy and balance sensitive front loaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have found that even the best-balanced machine can get shaky with certain loads, like a single thick towel. If that happens, your machine could go flying, and a bucking washing is seriously destructive.
This is so true. Reminds of of an incident years ago. My front loader was shaking violently during the high speed rinse cycle. This hadn't happened in years. So, my wife called me at office and I asked her to just switch it off. When I went back home, I saw the same behaviour. I undid the top cover and looked for any apparent issues but couldn't find any. Decided to reduce the load and then I discovered a big thick microfiber towel inside. Removed to resolve.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd July 2021 at 16:01.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:24   #8814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Don't mean to nitpick but that doesn't look safe. Those blocks are not fixed and it looks possible that they can tumble. If that happens while the machine is operating, it can be become an unguided rocket in your house.
Fully Agree with you. Even I had to do a lot of exercises to reach this stage. The blocks used to skid over the Floor. I had to paste Rubber Sheet to the Block as well as Floor.
The W/M would tend to jump over the Block. I had to paste 1/2 " thick Rubber Heel of Flip-flops in the Cavity /Recess of the Bottle/Block. I had to constantly watch the operation of Machine on every operation.
Now, it is well over Six Months of use without much feared accident.
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:42   #8815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My advice is to always avoid glass sliding partitions.
Most likely, no sliding glass. There is no bathtub and I just need to separate the dry/wet areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
Atomberg is very light weight, less noisy, works well with remote and considerably good sweep over Crompton.
Thanks for the feedback. I like the utilitarian look of the Atomburg. But, does it really save any electricity?

Very informative discussion. Thanks, although now I am more confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
If you have hard water then it's a no-brainer to avoid the glass partition.
One of the clinching points to select the builder was the provision of a water softener plant. While that is no longer an issue, I am still not sold on the glass partition. Glass partition will look better and will provide better separation but will be high maintenance. The shower curtain may not be 100% effective due to lack of sealing on the floor and will not be as much hydrophobic as glass (may remain wet for longer times). Cost is not really a factor here but I am not sure which option will end up more effective and convenient in the long run.
Old 23rd July 2021, 09:02   #8816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I like the utilitarian look of the Atomburg. But, does it really save any electricity?
Since there are so many fans (10+) out of which only 4 are Atombergs along with other home appliance including 1.5 HP borewell pump, so I cannot reallly comment on saving electricity.
But if you put all BLDC fans then definitely you will save electricity. Rasena Atomberg consumes just 28 Watt while Crompton consumes in range of 75-80 Watt.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:33   #8817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are on second LG WM. We sold the first one after 7 years of use. The second one is 4 years old and going strong.

Normally nothing goes wrong with front loading WM, except that the MB may blow due to voltage variations (quite rare). The LG MB is around 3K so it is not a big deal to replace it.

Regarding size :
If you have a big family and wash a lot of clothes daily go for 8/9 kg models. On the other hand if you are a small family or use different cycles for different material (we do - cottons, delicates etc) then a 7 kg is sufficient.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd July 2021 at 10:40. Reason: Trimmed qoute and a couple typos.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:40   #8818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Are these washer cum dryers any good? Am talking about the ones that offer 100% drying, not just spin. Or is it better to get a separate dryer? Do they use a lot of electricity?
All in one is good if you have no space, otherwise two machines are always better.

. The cost of two machines - WM and Dryer is more or less same as a WM with dryer.
. A stand alone dryer has much higher capacity - double. A combined machine is usually 6kg WM and 3 kg drying (or 8/4 or 12/6 etc).
. As a dryer is used at the most for 6 months in India, it will last for ages.
. Then you have a redundancy, it WM packs up you still have a dryer and if dryer packs up you still have a WM.
. Lastly an AMC for a WM is much lower that that for combined machine. A dryer does not really need an AMC.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:48   #8819
BANNED

Quote:
If you are planning to keep it in a dry place, it should be good. But if you planning to use it inside the bathroom or some not dry place, then avoid inverter models especially LG. I used to be a big LG fan on my first LG WM & then replaced it with another LG which I had to dump within 2 years. Both were Top Load though.
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:06   #8820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If you are planning to keep it in a dry place, it should be good. But if you planning to use it inside the bathroom or some not dry place, then avoid inverter models especially LG. I used to be a big LG fan on my first LG WM & then replaced it with another LG which I had to dump within 2 years. Both were Top Load though.
I agree. WM in bathroom is a disaster waiting to happen as the current breed of motherboards are not really designed to withstand prolonged high humidity environment.

It is better to get an old school WM with minimal electronics.

Most Viewed