Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2018, 19:29   #6946
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Looking to buy a high quality Weber (or similar) gas or electric barbecue grill. Any suggestions? Expensive at 17k+ so need to check convenience, durability and taste.

Avoiding charcoal ones as my firelighting capabilities are restricted to dhoop only.

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th December 2018 at 19:31.
Old 15th December 2018, 21:32   #6947
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
1)
4) Power ( Electricity ) consumption of top loaders is somewhere between 350 and 450 watts and need a 5 AMP power point. Front loaders, on the other hand, consume more than 1000 watts ( even for a cold wash ) and need a 15 AMP power point. This was informed by the salesmen across different showrooms.
You have made some valid points here. One thing I would like manufacturers to do is to disclose power consumption in watts, and water consumption in some standardised wash mode as part of the published specifications.

Ideal wash mode to be used as a reference point, IMHO would be the one to which the machine defaults to.

About front loaders needing the 16A (Not 15, as per current BIS norms, IIRC) power points, I think this is due to they requiring higher peak / momentary power. I think quite washing machines won't work on 1 or 1.5 kva inverters.

I believe a 350 W motor will consume 0.35 units / KWh electricity in an hour. So, you are getting some fantastic results.

BTW, my 7 year old Samsung front loader has a 2.16 hr default wash cycle.
Old 15th December 2018, 23:12   #6948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I found that they lacked many features like an inverter motor,air wash, tub dry and didn't come with a comprehensive display.
Truth about washing machine features! They are rather like microwave ovens: so many features but very few get used.
Quote:
3) I guess only the top end models have BT and WIFI connectivity. ...
Good grief! Even our washing machines can become spambots these days? What are these for?
Quote:
4) Power ( Electricity ) consumption of top loaders is somewhere between 350 and 450 watts and need a 5 AMP power point. Front loaders, on the other hand, consume more than 1000 watts ( even for a cold wash ) and need a 15 AMP power point. This was informed by the salesmen across different showrooms.
My Bosch front-loader (January 2016) has a 5 amp plug. I can believe that the heating elements of washing machines consume a fair amount of energy, but top loaders would have to heat more water. I really cannot believe that front loaders use 1Kw even when not heating! Maybe as the motor start-up surge?

Hope our engineering guys comment on this.
Old 16th December 2018, 00:42   #6949
BHPian

IIRC from the manuals, both my Bosch WM and DW have 2000W heating elements.
Old 16th December 2018, 09:11   #6950
BHPian

Quote:

A front loader needs a 16A point only to support the heating element. For cold wash, the heating element doesn't turn on. So it should not "consume more than 1000 watts" , or "need" a 16A point, -- it should work just fine off a 6A one, if you could somehow rig up a connection to its 16A plug (and never set the temperature dial higher) . For cold wash, you are forced to use a 16A point only to connect the 16A plug of the washing machine.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 14:42. Reason: spacing for better readability
Old 16th December 2018, 13:10   #6951
BANNED

For cold wash, most front load washing machines upto 8kg consume no more then 400w (when drum motor is at spin, drain pump On).
Old 16th December 2018, 14:22   #6952
BHPian

@aim120- As informed by the salesmen, one unit of electricity would be consumed after about every four wash cycles in a top loader, while in case of front loaders, one unit of electricity would be consumed after two to three wash cycles in the cold wash option.

Last edited by auto-one : 16th December 2018 at 14:29.
Old 16th December 2018, 14:26   #6953
BHPian

@Thad E Ginathom - Tub clean is a necessity for me as we have hard water in our society. Air dry would come in handy during the monsoons and the inverter motor, I believe, is more reliable than the conventional one and yes, it makes lesser nose and consumes lower power.
Old 16th December 2018, 16:43   #6954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Thad E Ginathom - Tub clean is a necessity for me as we have hard water in our society. Air dry would come in handy during the monsoons and the inverter motor, I believe, is more reliable than the conventional one and yes, it makes lesser nose and consumes lower power.
I spent a couple of decades in London, where the water is "rock" hard. Front loader, fine. You might need to treat it from time to time. Hard water does not decide this issue at all.

Many people are more comfortable with top loaders: personal choice is the most important thing. Having lived through three decades of washing machines, beginning with "twin-tub" it is front-loader automatic all the way for me. But my choice is not your choice, of course.

Just don't believe salesmen on technical issues. I'm sure you would not when buying a car.

When i first came to India, these shops were staffed by young women who had all the specs memorised. Now we have to deal with salesmen who just spout sales stuff. The buying experience was much better a decade ago!
Old 25th December 2018, 11:22   #6955
BHPian

Planning to buy an Air Purifier for a medium sized bedroom. Can't choose between the Philips AC2887 and the Honeywell i8. Honeywell seems to be more popular in my circle. Both are 15k on Amazon. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by promit : 25th December 2018 at 11:39.
Old 25th December 2018, 12:12   #6956
BHPian

Planning to get a basic microwave oven (non-convection type) for our vacation home. The microwave shall be used very sparingly as trips to this home is infrequent at best.

Primary Requirements :

1. Reliable company.
2. More the warranty period, better.

The main-home uses a LG microwave (convection), but somehow our particular appliance turned out to be a lemon. Had to get parts changed often, and performance was not optimal, unlike other the LG fridge in our home, which works like a dream.

Need brand/model suggestions..

Last edited by sharktale : 25th December 2018 at 12:13.
Old 27th December 2018, 11:35   #6957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Planning to get a basic microwave oven (non-convection type) for our vacation home. .......

Bought a Samsung Basic for less than 5K a few months ago. It is working fine.

https://www.flipkart.com/samsung-23-...g!343403198581!

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Microw...microwave+oven

https://paytmmall.com/samsung-23l-so...hild_site_id=6

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th January 2019 at 14:14. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 27th December 2018, 20:02   #6958
BHPian

Quote:
Primary Requirements :

1. Reliable company.
2. More the warranty period, better.

3. Ease of operation

I suggest you take a look at how easy the microwave is to operate for the most common operation - microwave a cup of water or a dish for a couple of minutes.

I found Samsung Microwaves have a set of button presses to just get started for microwaving anything. This I found to be true on two different Samsung models. Don't know if this is a feature across all their models.

On the other hand, the LG needs just a single button press will get the microwaving started for 30 seconds. 4 taps on the same button will boil a cup of water in two minutes.
Old 28th December 2018, 08:41   #6959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
3. Ease of operation

I suggest you take a look at how easy the microwave is to operate for the most common operation - microwave a cup of water or a dish for a couple of minutes.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind while in shop. Actually I'd used a LG oven, so the ease of use thing never struck me. I believed all microwaves had 1 step heating button. :P
Old 29th December 2018, 11:00   #6960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind while in shop. Actually I'd used a LG oven, so the ease of use thing never struck me. I believed all microwaves had 1 step heating button. :P
Yes most of the current models available in the market have a one-button-30s operation. In fact we just use the button to set the time in 30 second intervals and rarely use the dedicated time buttons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks