Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 12:22   #601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Has anybody with a dishwasher (esp. IFB) tried "Finish" products?

India specific website - Dishwasher products by Finish, recommended by leading dishwasher manufacturers!
I have used Finish products a lot in the UK. It was considered as one of the superior labels.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:24   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Anyone tried soapnut? That's got to be the cheapest and most eco-friendly way to wash clothes. I have no idea how effective it is though!
My mom uses it (Soapnut is also known as ritha), to wash woolens and expensive curtains and other expensive clothes. It is supposed to wash well without harming the cloth (as there are no inorganic chemicals).
But I am not sure if it is the cheapest way to wash clothes.

by the way, does anyone knows where can I buy it in bangalore and what is the kannada name for soapnut?

Regards,
Old 18th November 2009, 13:55   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
My mom uses it (Soapnut is also known as ritha), to wash woolens and expensive curtains and other expensive clothes. It is supposed to wash well without harming the cloth (as there are no inorganic chemicals).
But I am not sure if it is the cheapest way to wash clothes.

by the way, does anyone knows where can I buy it in bangalore and what is the kannada name for soapnut?

Regards,
Kannada names-
kookatakayi, kudale-kaye, kukate-kayi, noorekayi, urvanjik-kaya, aralakai, andala, puchakotte, aratala, antaala, nore kaayoi, thogate mara

http://envis.frlht.org.in/botanical_search.php?gesp=1851|Sapindus+emarginatu s+VAHL.

Last edited by janitha : 18th November 2009 at 13:56.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:15   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have used Finish products a lot in the UK. It was considered as one of the superior labels.
Cool, but I was wondering about the stuff they are selling here, and how it performs in the dishwashers and conditions we have here.

Also, IFB have their own brand of detergent, salt and rinse aid (made by Chemisynth), but what do users of other brands like LG, Siemens, etc. use? It is still rare to find dishwasher consumables in the market...
Old 18th November 2009, 16:28   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Kannada names-
kookatakayi, kudale-kaye, kukate-kayi, noorekayi, urvanjik-kaya, aralakai, andala, puchakotte, aratala, antaala, nore kaayoi, thogate mara

http://envis.frlht.org.in/botanical_search.php?gesp=1851|Sapindus+emarginatu s+VAHL.
Thanks janitha. On google I also found a blog mentioning some shop near commercial st selling these.

Regards,
Mohit
Old 23rd November 2009, 16:50   #606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
Has anybody with a dishwasher (esp. IFB) tried "Finish" products?

India specific website - Dishwasher products by Finish, recommended by leading dishwasher manufacturers!

The site also lists places where it is available in different cities, in case anybody wants to try.

Seems the stuff is all imported and pricy. 1 kg detergent with enzymes and oxygen bleach costs Rs. 300. Another variant which seemed to contain chlorine cost Rs. 400 for 1.4 kg.

IFB's detergent costs Rs. 220 for 1 kg. I was wondering if anybody here knows it it compares to Finish, considering the higher price tag. The containers have a sticker that say its recommened by IFB.
I have used both Finish and Dishmatic / AutoDish (made by Chemisynth) and I find no perceptible difference in wash quality.

I find that all Finish products are highly overpriced and do not deliver any additional value over other products available in market.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:37   #607
Senior - BHPian

Dishmatic? That is also by Chemisynth? Is it any different from the IFB Autodish detergent made by the same company?

Just tried it out (see pic). This is a 1 kg pack and contains enzymes and oxygen bleach. It says Made in Germany on the pack. These were the reasons I was tempted to try it out. As you may know, IFB Autodish detergent contains chlorine. Enzyme based detergents are said to work well in lower temperatures and using lower temperature reduces power consumption.

Tried the 1st wash with just slightly less than 25 ml at 55 deg. C. Results were not good. Next tried with close to 30 ml powder and 40 deg. C. Results seem better than IFB's detergent at this temperature! Even a stainless steel pot with thick sticky milk coating was cleaned well. I don't think IFB's detergent would have cleaned it well at this temperature.

However, the shine on stainless steel less with Finish.

Overall, seems to be better to use at lower temperatures, but the higher price would offset the savings in power consumption. But it still could be an option when you got more delicate stuff like glass, painted dishes, etc., which is best washed at lower temperatures.

Actually, the bottle recommends 40 ml. dose (how can it be same for all dishwashers??). I guess it may clean even better at that concentration; but the price makes it prohibitive. Considering the price and performance, I won't be tempted to buy another bottle. However, they have another box packed version which has chlorine (Rs. 400 for 1.4 kg). Anybody has any idea how that performs?
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-171109_1608.jpg  

Last edited by Raccoon : 23rd November 2009 at 17:43.
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:07   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

How's the "DirectDrive" feature that LG's advertising for their washing machines ? LG claims that the lack of a belt to drive the drum helps in a more robust machine - and no dancing.
Old 24th November 2009, 03:20   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't understand that claim, and have doubts!
Old 24th November 2009, 10:30   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
How's the "DirectDrive" feature that LG's advertising for their washing machines ? LG claims that the lack of a belt to drive the drum helps in a more robust machine - and no dancing.
Recently bought the 8kg/4kg Washer/Dryer Direct Drive LG machine - was first supplied with an old model with a faulty PCB - money later refunded by LG & then got the new one. Working fine & "no dancing"! Pretty quiet & i love the combo dryer feature.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:40   #611
BANNED

Is a indoor venting kit for a dryer available anywhere in India?
Something like this?

Universal Indoor Venting Kit - 10.5cm diameter hose

Or has anyone else tried anything DIY stuff for preventing the lint from the dryer out from spreading in the room?

I don't mind the moisture from the exhaust - it's the lint which causes a problem. Googling seems to suggest that people try stuff like hooking a stocking to the dryer hose etc to trap the lint - anyone tried anything similiar here?
Old 24th November 2009, 13:35   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Such venting is not to remove lint, but to remove water vapour.

Many driers have a built-in condenser and a holding tank that needs emptying; they do not require any venting. Lint should be trapped in some sort of a filter that needs regular cleaning.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:50   #613
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Such venting is not to remove lint, but to remove water vapour.

Many driers have a built-in condenser and a holding tank that needs emptying; they do not require any venting. Lint should be trapped in some sort of a filter that needs regular cleaning.
Yes, the dryer does have a lint filter. But that doesn't trap all the lint. Through the exhaust hose, I still get some amount of lint with the water vapour.
Old 25th November 2009, 21:06   #614
BHPian

Bread Toaster recommendation

Hi everyone

My toaster conked-off in 2 years, my parents lasted 3 years. I'm fed-up.

Has your toaster lasted 10+ years.
Can anyone recommend a toaster model?

I live in Mumbai, and want to buy locally

Thanks
Old 25th November 2009, 21:15   #615
Senior - BHPian

Whichever one you get make sure it has a removable crumb tray.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks