Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2015, 18:07   #5566
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
One option I have been discussing with my wife is to have the maid mop first, sweep and mop again. This is basically to prevent the dust from rising and setting on other objects. Not sure if it will work but will give it a shot.
If you mop using the traditional cloth then its fine but one can't really mop using the circular gala mop without brooming first because it wouldn't pick up things like hair, small bits of paper etc. Not to mention that without brooming first the mop gets extremely dirty by the end of cleaning of a 2bhk apartment.

I know that the attachment this vacuum cleaner comes with isn't very practical which is why my dilemma.

But then it should cover most of the floor and even if some dust is left behind anywhere the Gala mop would take care of that. I'm basically looking at a combination of a vacuum cleaner and gala mop to achieve a result similar to that of a maid's effort without having the dust to settle on other objects in the room.

May be there are other attachments that I should buy to effectively replace brooming.
Old 12th October 2015, 01:39   #5567
Distinguished - BHPian

What are your floors? If ceramic, then I don't think you will be pleased with the vacuum cleaner.

I have a Dyson, which came from UK, where rugs and carpets are more the norm. It get's used just a few times a year here. We have only one rug: a tiny bedside rug. It's good at corners, insides of computers (if you know what you are doing), keyboards, spaces under desks where wires accumulate fluff, and all that stuff, but not for the ceramic tiles which is most of the floor.

If you want to sweep without raising dust (a good idea!) I suggest that you look at microfibre (yes... I know, microfibre fanboy strikes again! It is wonderful stuff!).
Old 12th October 2015, 09:54   #5568
Senior - BHPian

Vacuum cleaners are good for carpets and other fibre floor coverings, as well as thick curtains. They suck the dust out, but unless you are careful, leave a bit back. What is left is not normally visible. For floors Indian style - terrazzo or stone they will never match the broom. What comes nearest to broom & mop is the Wet/Dry Vacuum cleaners where the floor is washed and water sucked dry, followed by power dry mop.
Old 12th October 2015, 11:15   #5569
BHPian

What will be a better choice for a wall fan? Havells or Orient? The fan must 'blast' the air instead of providing air.
Old 12th October 2015, 12:58   #5570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
What will be a better choice for a wall fan? Havells or Orient? The fan must 'blast' the air instead of providing air.
If Ceiling-fan, you can try 'Superfan' a coimbatore based company, which is very power-efficient. It was recommended to me in this thread years back. I have two and they do a good job. They have remote speed-regulators. Available on Amazon.in.
Old 12th October 2015, 13:06   #5571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
If Ceiling-fan, you can try 'Superfan' a coimbatore based company, which is very power-efficient. It was recommended to me in this thread years back. I have two and they do a good job. They have remote speed-regulators. Available on Amazon.in.
No, not a ceiling fan. I want to buy a wall fan.

My above query is incomplete actually. My intention is to use the combination of exhaust fan and wall fan in every room of my office and reduce the usage of air conditioner, yet keep the office cool. The basis of this intention is the belief that using exhaust fan will reduce the carbon dioxide in the room and thereby reduce the room temperature. And wall fans because, the ceiling fans are unable to 'blast' the air onto the occupants, they will spread the air, while the wall fan can throw the air onto the occupant rather than spreading the air. Am I right with the ideology?
Old 12th October 2015, 13:46   #5572
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2015 at 11:57.
sam003 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th October 2015, 16:56   #5573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My above query is incomplete actually. My intention is to use the combination of exhaust fan and wall fan in every room of my office and reduce the usage of air conditioner, yet keep the office cool. The basis of this intention is the belief that using exhaust fan will reduce the carbon dioxide in the room and thereby reduce the room temperature. And wall fans because, the ceiling fans are unable to 'blast' the air onto the occupants, they will spread the air, while the wall fan can throw the air onto the occupant rather than spreading the air. Am I right with the ideology?
A blast is counterproductive as all the loose papers and other light objects will be "blasted". The best option that I have experienced is to point the AC vents upwards. That ensures that there is no dead space just below the ceiling and the air circulates properly.

An exhaust fan will draw the cool air out, wasting the cooling achieved by AC.

In case you want good cooling with sufficient circulation, the whole AC scheme has to be changed.
. Use packaged chillers of sufficient capacity. For a medium sized office of 20+, a water cooled 5-7 ton unit should suffice.
. Use one set of ducts to spread the cooled air in the office, along one side of the ceiling.
. Use another set of ducts to draw the stale air out.
. Pipe the stale air back to the central AC.
. This is the stage where you can "wash" the air. This will reduce the CO2 content, humidify the air if too dry.

Larger units in an office are more efficient and cool better. Ducted systems are expensive to install, but the pay back is higher efficiency, lesser "Hot" or "Cold" spots, more uniform temperature and cleaner air, especially if you put in Air Purifiers in line.
Old 12th October 2015, 16:57   #5574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think so.

I don't think that he amount of CO2 in the room is related to the temperature, or that an exhaust fan would greatly change it anyway.

Fans (wall/ceiling) do not really lower the room temperature. They are moving the same air around. They make us feel cooler, because they are blowing away the hot/moist air around the person, so our personal "layer" of air gets a little cooler and less humid.

If you exhaust air from the room, then new air must be drawn in from somewhere. If that air is cooler then the exhaust fan is, effectively, giving you a cooler room.

An example of this is that, in our kitchen, the exhaust fan draws in air from the hall, which is air-conditioned. Thus the kitchen gets cooler.
Old 12th October 2015, 18:20   #5575
BANNED

Quote:
My intention is to use the combination of exhaust fan and wall fan in every room of my office and reduce the usage of air conditioner, yet keep the office cool. The basis of this intention is the belief that using exhaust fan will reduce the carbon dioxide in the room and thereby reduce the room temperature.
Won't the exhaust fan keep emptying cold air from inside to the outside thereby causing the air conditioner to work more. Plus why would temp decrease significantly because of removing of carbon dioxide (along with oxygen and nitrogen) - any change will be marginal.

Last edited by carboy : 12th October 2015 at 18:21.
Old 12th October 2015, 19:49   #5576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
An exhaust fan will draw the cool air out, wasting the cooling achieved by AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think so.

I don't think that he amount of CO2 in the room is related to the temperature, or that an exhaust fan would greatly change it anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Won't the exhaust fan keep emptying cold air from inside to the outside thereby causing the air conditioner to work more.
I'm once again sorry for incorrect typing. My query did not really put up the experiment I intend to do.

What I want to do is, install an exhaust fan on the window of one room and install a wall fan on the wall near the computer table of the same room, which is just next to the window. Then turn on the wall fan continuously for air and turn on the exhaust fan intermittently. And all the while, the air conditioner will be off. That means, effectively, the wall fan will be circulating the air that is present inside the room, and the exhaust fan will be removing the carbon dioxide content of the air in the room. And what I want to see is, whether this exercise helps in keeping the room cool and dry substantially or not. If only marginally, how much. If I see some benefit, I plan to install this in the entire office, and remove the air conditioning system completely.

Our region is notorious for high temperatures. In summers, we hover around the 44-45 mark consistently for April and May. Now, the October heat has clocked 37 degrees. And the problem of power cut increases during summers. So air conditioners are of no use. I hope this thing helps.
Old 12th October 2015, 19:55   #5577
BANNED

Quote:
That means, effectively, the wall fan will be circulating the air that is present inside the room, and the exhaust fan will be removing the carbon dioxide content of the air in the room.
I don't think an exhaust fan has any way of exclusively removing Co2. It will remove Co2, Oxygen and Nitrogen - it will remove air.

As far as removing stale air is concerned an airconditioner allready does that. The exhaust fan will do very little other than making the air conditioning inefficient.
Old 12th October 2015, 20:59   #5578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What are your floors? If ceramic, then I don't think you will be pleased with the vacuum cleaner.

If you want to sweep without raising dust (a good idea!) I suggest that you look at microfibre (yes... I know, microfibre fanboy strikes again! It is wonderful stuff!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What comes nearest to broom & mop is the Wet/Dry Vacuum cleaners where the floor is washed and water sucked dry, followed by power dry mop.
Yes I've got ceramic floors and already have the microfiber mop.

I was thinking that I use the vacuum cleaner first (dry mode) and then use the microfiber mop to achieve the broom + traditional mop effect.

I understand that unlike broom the vacuum cleaner wouldn't be very good around corners and furniture legs etc. so is there a particular attachment that I MUST order along with the Karcher MV3 model that makes cleaning corners easy? I looked at a couple from their website but couldn't really figure out whether one for corners really exists.
Old 13th October 2015, 00:52   #5579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm once again sorry for incorrect typing. My query did not really put up the experiment I intend to do.

What I want to do is, install an exhaust fan on the window of one room and install a wall fan on the wall near the computer table of the same room, which is just next to the window. Then turn on the wall fan continuously for air and turn on the exhaust fan intermittently. And all the while, the air conditioner will be off. That means, effectively, the wall fan will be circulating the air that is present inside the room, and the exhaust fan will be removing the carbon dioxide content of the air in the room. And what I want to see is, whether this exercise helps in keeping the room cool and dry substantially or not. If only marginally, how much. If I see some benefit, I plan to install this in the entire office, and remove the air conditioning system completely.

Our region is notorious for high temperatures. In summers, we hover around the 44-45 mark consistently for April and May. Now, the October heat has clocked 37 degrees. And the problem of power cut increases during summers. So air conditioners are of no use. I hope this thing helps.
No, not really: the answer is as before. As carboy points out, fans cannot be selective, they just suck air. Gases are pretty good at mixing, and I don't see why, unless you have a lot of heavy-breathing people in that room, the CO2 content should be any higher anyway. Even if CO2 was relevant to the temperature, actual or perceived, of the air in the room anyway, which it isn't.

The exhaust fan will lower the humidity, and increase the comfort, of the room if the air that is getting sucked in to the room is less humid. If the air is coming from a space which does not have hot, sweaty people in it, it may well be.

Fans don't lower humidity in themselves. AC machines do, but hey, yes, powercuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I was thinking that I use the vacuum cleaner first (dry mode) and then use the microfiber mop to achieve the broom + traditional mop effect.

I understand that unlike broom the vacuum cleaner wouldn't be very good around corners and furniture legs etc. so is there a particular attachment that I MUST order along with the Karcher MV3 model that makes cleaning corners easy? I looked at a couple from their website but couldn't really figure out whether one for corners really exists.
Vacuum cleaners usually come with two or three attachments, One should be like a straight suction nozzle, and they are good at getting into corners and removing the stuff that cloths or brooms don't move. You can see the fitting that I mean in the Amazon picture.

My advice: if you buy a vacuum, you will find it useful, but don't sack the maid until you have tried it on your house floors!
Old 13th October 2015, 18:26   #5580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Firstly the fans circulate air and not cool it. What ever cooling you feel due to the fan running is the effect of sweat evaporating. An exhaust fan on a window will just suck the air from the room, fresh air that replaces it has to come from some where, and if comes from out side it will be hot.

In case the summer heat is dry, like Delhi, then your problems will be solved by installing a large dessert cooler. In low humidity, a desert cooler cools much more than an air conditioner and at a fraction of the cost (both capital as well as running).

As coolers are useless when the humidity rises, you may have to supplement that with AC during rains.

Most Viewed