Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 13:40   #5071
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

A few pages back I had posted about trying to seal the rubber seal in our washing machine's dryer tub. The leak was dropping water onto the motor and the motor would occasionally stop working.

Now the leak has stopped after using a silicone sealant around the rubber seal - the motor's nice and dry. However, the motor has recently stopped working now. I can hear it hum but it won't move.

Is it fried and needs replacement, or can it be repaired/lubricated/coaxed into action?
Old 25th March 2015, 12:39   #5072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
A few pages back I had posted about trying to seal the rubber seal in our washing machine's dryer tub. The leak was dropping water onto the motor and the motor would occasionally stop working.

Now the leak has stopped after using a silicone sealant around the rubber seal - the motor's nice and dry. However, the motor has recently stopped working now. I can hear it hum but it won't move.

Is it fried and needs replacement, or can it be repaired/lubricated/coaxed into action?
Most probably Motor is gone as motor has ventilation over the winding and water seeps through rubber seal and damages winding. Same problem I faced in my washing machine. My local mechanic did a good "Jugad", he opened the 4 motor screws and covered motor with plastic sheet. So now incase water leaks from rubber seal it is not going to damage motor.
Old 25th March 2015, 14:47   #5073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Most probably Motor is gone as motor has ventilation over the winding and water seeps through rubber seal and damages winding. Same problem I faced in my washing machine. My local mechanic did a good "Jugad", he opened the 4 motor screws and covered motor with plastic sheet. So now incase water leaks from rubber seal it is not going to damage motor.
Oh, so there is no way to refurbish this motor now? :(
Old 25th March 2015, 14:55   #5074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
My local mechanic did a good "Jugad", he opened the 4 motor screws and covered motor with plastic sheet. So now incase water leaks from rubber seal it is not going to damage motor.
But won't that cause ventilation issues for the motor?
Old 25th March 2015, 14:56   #5075
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, so there is no way to refurbish this motor now? :(
It can be rewound.Look for shops that service ceiling fans, pump motors etc.
Old 25th March 2015, 14:57   #5076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
It can be rewound.Look for shops that service ceiling fans, pump motors etc.
How reliable would the motor be post rewinding? Never have had experience getting this done.
Old 25th March 2015, 15:17   #5077
BHPian

Quote:
How reliable would the motor be post rewinding? Never have had experience getting this done.
My dad got it done for our old washing machine dryer motor. It ran without any problem for 2 years before it was sold.
It actually depends on the competency of the guy doing the job. Ask around (local electric shops) and you may find the right guy.
Old 25th March 2015, 15:49   #5078
Senior - BHPian

Hello people. Looking for a split AC. Yes, in Bangalore. I live on the 2nd floor of a small set of flats and there are no floors above mine. It is a rented place and every year for the past 3 years, I have been thinking of shifting house just because it gets insanely hot during summer. Finally, am thinking of fitting in an AC at least.

I just want one to cool the bedroom so that I can sleep well at night. The bedroom is probably 12 feet by 12 feet. Can you suggest some good brands and advise if I am doing the right thing?

No, Bangalore is becoming more and more hotter every year.
Old 25th March 2015, 17:22   #5079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
My dad got it done for our old washing machine dryer motor. It ran without any problem for 2 years before it was sold.
It actually depends on the competency of the guy doing the job. Ask around (local electric shops) and you may find the right guy.
Thank you. Will give it a try. Have to figure out a way to remove the motor out of the washing machine first. Too bad I dumped the old motor into the bin after we replaced it 2 years ago (same water leak issue killed it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hello people. Looking for a split AC.

I just want one to cool the bedroom so that I can sleep well at night. The bedroom is probably 12 feet by 12 feet.
You can settle for a 1.5ton split AC for 12X12 room size. I highly recommend Whirlpool. We have a Voltas and a Whirlpool 1.5ton ACs in our house and our family loves the silent operation of the Whirlpool. Voltas on the other hand is noisy and has leaked gas twice, and outer unit fan has broken into a million pieces once.
Old 25th March 2015, 17:38   #5080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
But won't that cause ventilation issues for the motor?
No, It does not cover motor totally, It works like umbrella in rain
Old 25th March 2015, 17:40   #5081
BHPian

Quote:
Check with Scrap dealers, I bought used one for 100 bucks by returning old one
Old 25th March 2015, 20:00   #5082
BHPian

Quote:
Can you suggest some good brands and advise if I am doing the right thing?
Opt for an inverter AC. The difference in power bills is well worth the price difference.

From my personal experience, i prefer LG over others but also heard great things about Sharp.
Old 26th March 2015, 15:16   #5083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can settle for a 1.5ton split AC for 12X12 room size. I highly recommend Whirlpool. We have a Voltas and a Whirlpool 1.5ton ACs in our house and our family loves the silent operation of the Whirlpool. Voltas on the other hand is noisy and has leaked gas twice, and outer unit fan has broken into a million pieces once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Opt for an inverter AC. The difference in power bills is well worth the price difference.

From my personal experience, i prefer LG over others but also heard great things about Sharp.
Thanks for the inputs! I was checking online and it says that a 1 Ton AC is enough for my room size.

I am checking at some brands - see some good offers on Kenstar at Amazon. Any idea if they are any good?
Old 26th March 2015, 15:25   #5084
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs! I was checking online and it says that a 1 Ton AC is enough for my room size.

I am checking at some brands - see some good offers on Kenstar at Amazon. Any idea if they are any good?
I was in the same dilemma as yours and the online reviews for Kenstar didn't help one bit. I went ahead and got a Bluestar 1.5T which is now waiting for installation.

Get a 1.5T. The cost difference is not much and if you move to a new apartment in future with a bigger room, this will come in handy.
Old 26th March 2015, 16:08   #5085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
I was in the same dilemma as yours and the online reviews for Kenstar didn't help one bit. I went ahead and got a Bluestar 1.5T which is now waiting for installation.

Get a 1.5T. The cost difference is not much and if you move to a new apartment in future with a bigger room, this will come in handy.
Yeah true about being able to use it later in a bigger room. Makes sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks