Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 21:35   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
CFL is as it says a "compact Tube Light". Ok jokes apart, why a tube light?
For reading, there is nothing to beat our old tube lights. Also the light is evenly spread and no shadows, whereas in the CFLs, the light is concentrated only around the bulb and it leaves shadows like our old 10 bucks bulbs. I have bought many a CFLs and right now I am tired of them, maybe they are best in toilets, balconies and outside the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I have got 3 T5's in my house.
Pardon my ignorance, what is a T5 ?
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 22:05   #2537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Like this?

In that case, I think you should cut it off and replace with an Indian plug. Oh... looks like that is planned.

But 6-amp? Is that enough? I'd be happier with 15.

I am not an electrician, just a dabbler --- but a dabbler that tries err on the safe side
My bad, that was a typo. Its 16 Amps. And that plug is exactly what I got here.

And just before I saw this post, got a pretty nice electric shock from the inner door switch panel trying to switch it on after plugging in Schuko directly into Indian socket.

Lesson learned.

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 26th November 2011 at 22:17.
Old 26th November 2011, 22:08   #2538
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I have bought many a CFLs and right now I am tired of them, maybe they are best in toilets, balconies and outside the house.
Toilet's not a good place for CFLs. Toilet lights get turned on & off more frequently than the rooms. This makes sure that the CFL won't last more than 1.5 - 2years. 10 buck bulb is best for toilets.
Old 26th November 2011, 22:46   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post

Unpacked it in the morning and found the build quality great. However I found the power cord without earthing pin but instead something different in its place.
My Bosch SMS40M52EU also came with a similar plug. The Bosch installation guy changed the plug to the Indian version.
gopalnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 23:39   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post

Now while I just wait for Finish consumables and Bosch guy on Monday, would be interested to know if the power cord on your model come with the earthing pin? Did you attach any European -> Indian converter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Like this?

In that case, I think you should cut it off and replace with an Indian plug. Oh... looks like that is planned.

But 6-amp? Is that enough? I'd be happier with 15.

I am not an electrician, just a dabbler --- but a dabbler that tries err on the safe side
The technician will indeed cut it off and put in a 15 amp plug. If you see the rating on this plug, you will see it is 16A.

Regards,
amohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 02:44   #2541
Distinguished - BHPian

16, not 15, yes. I get my numbers muddled up! <Blush>
Old 27th November 2011, 10:34   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, what is a T5 ?
T9 are the usual 36W fluorescent tubes (relatively slimmer ones than the age old 40W tubes). T5 tube uses 28W and produces more light (vaguely remember something like 99 lumen compared to 77 lumen of T5) and hence is even more efficient. T9 is the most common tube which we use here in India. T5 tubes are almost less than half the circumference of the regular T9 tubes. T5 has a better light output - higher lumens and consumes lesser power and hence is more efficient than T9.

You get T5 fittings from all major vendors these days (and not to mention the Chinese made stuff) in the market. These T5 fittings look slim & elegant and come with an electronic choke (no flicker start; btw you get electronic chokes for T9 sets too now) and hence I went for it. We have put T5 tubes in some rooms and visibly a lot more brighter than the old T9 tubes. They are working perfectly fine even after an year of usage.

Last edited by null : 27th November 2011 at 10:46. Reason: typos and realignment
Old 27th November 2011, 10:47   #2543
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
T9 are the usual 36W fluorescent tubes (relatively slimmer ones than the age old 40W tubes). T5 tube uses 28W and produces more light (vaguely remember something like 99 lumen compared to 77 lumen of T5) and hence is even more efficient. T9 is the most common tube which we use here in India. T5 tubes are almost less than half the circumference of the regular T9 tubes. T5 has a better light output - higher lumens and consumes lesser power and hence is more efficient than T9.

You get T5 fittings from all major vendors these days (and not to mention the Chinese made stuff) in the market. These T5 fittings look slim & elegant and come with an electronic choke (no flicker start; btw you get electronic chokes for T9 sets too now) and hence I went for it. We have put T5 tubes in some rooms and visibly a lot more brighter than the old T9 tubes. They are working perfectly fine even after an year of usage.
What about the 40W ones? Are they still available?
When my current T9's go bad, I was think of replacing them with the 40W ones.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:38   #2544
BHPian

I am looking for a washer dryer combo machine. The main requirements are
- 6 kg washing and 3 kg drying (We are a small family.)
- 100 % dry (washing machine to cupboard)

I am considering LG, Samsung and Siemens models mentioned below.
LG - F1280CDP2
Samsung - WD0654REC
Siemens - WK14D320EU

But looks like it will be either LG or Samsung. Did not get much info about Siemens washng machine.

Can any one suggest a suitable model from the above or another based on
- performance (washing & drying)
- quality

Thanks.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:42   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What about the 40W ones? Are they still available?
When my current T9's go bad, I was think of replacing them with the 40W ones.
Am sure they should be available still. I have not come across them when I have gone shopping at places like Metro where you have all the options available (or I never bothered to focus on them).

I hope you are aware that the existing T9/36W tube light fixture itself need to be replaced since they usually wont support the older 40W tube (the side pin spacing will be different for both tubes and hence the holders on the side will be different in the frames for diff tubes).

I am not sure if you get any tube frame which supports both 36W n 40W. Long back when I was in school, I remember taking a frame for repair and the shop guy saying he is replacing those side holders and from now it can only be used for the slimmer tubes
Old 27th November 2011, 13:34   #2546
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I hope you are aware that the existing T9/36W tube light fixture itself need to be replaced since they usually wont support the older 40W tube (the side pin spacing will be different for both tubes and hence the holders on the side will be different in the frames for diff tubes).
Yes. I am aware of that. I was asking about availability of both the fixture & tube light itself.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:23   #2547
Senior - BHPian

I use the fatter 40w only for donkey's years as I find them to be brighter. Yes, you still get them in the market.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:36   #2548
BANNED

Quote:
I use the fatter 40w only for donkey's years as I find them to be brighter. Yes, you still get them in the market.
I agree. I have 36W in my home & 40 at my parent's home. The day I installed the 36W, I found it inadequate, so I added a 15W CFL in the same room on the opp side. I find the 40W at my parent's (it's donkey's years old) house brighter than the 36W at my home, irrespective of how many lumens it throws out.

What kind of fixture do you have for the 40W. There are various kinds with different types of choke/starter - electronic, non-electronic, copper etc - which combo is better - in terms of long lasting.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:41   #2549
Senior - BHPian

I use the conventional non-electronic choke which came with the fitting, a company called everest, bought in 1996, only thing that needed changing was the starter in these many years. One choke conked and i have replaced with a philips electronic one (2 months back) which is quite good, not sure about its life though
Old 7th December 2011, 12:18   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Inerior remodelling

Didn't find and appropriate thread so posting here:
Hi all, I need some suggestions from members based in Bangalore for remodeling my flat in CV raman nagar. I need to get the following done:-

1. Bathrooms x 2 (40 sq ft each) : Tiling, change of fixtures and fittings, addition of glass shower enclosure
2. Woodwork: a large cupboard, writing table and one storage cabinet
3. Kitchen: few additions to the existing woodwork

Can anybody who has had similar work done in their apartment point me to the contact person and if possible your experience and cost.

Last edited by goandude : 7th December 2011 at 12:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks