Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Chinese / Non-TV TV brand are you most likely to vote for with your wallet
HiSense 11 3.29%
Kodak 9 2.69%
Motorola 0 0%
OnePlus 52 15.57%
Realme 4 1.20%
TCL 43 12.87%
Toshiba 34 10.18%
Vu 85 25.45%
Xiaomi 68 20.36%
Others (Please specify) 28 8.38%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 17:52   #106
BHPian

Re: The Budget / Frugal TV thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I placed an order for the one of the most expensive budget TVs today, the MI QLED. Lets see how it goes.
So I've been using the TV for almost a month now. I would say very acceptable for the price, no questions asked. Decent sound, good picture. Haven't hooked it up with STBs yet. I havent been able to watch any tennis or motorracing yet as that would be a good test. My TV is in the living room and the only shows that run for a meaningful amount of time are the animated shows & cat,dog videos on YouTube, courtesy my 18 month old babbling daughter
coldice4u is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 20:53   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I bought my 55 inch iFFALCON (TCL) K2A 1.5 years ago for a song and I am happy with it so far. It is not a perfect TV. The thing takes about 2 minutes to boot up. And there is no standby or sleep mode. So, you can't simply switch it off if you are stepping out for a few minutes. I mostly switch on and keep it running for the duration of the TV viewing session..
Go to main settings menu, not the basic one that shows picture and sound settings. There is a gear wheel like icon for it. Then go to ‘power’. Here select ‘instant on’. Now your TV will boot up instantly after shut off for a few subsequent hours. This means that after you turn it on and then switch it off, if you turn it back on in say 10 minutes to about 2 hours, it will turn on instantly. After a few hours it will be back to normal boot up.

Coming to the general topic, I have purchased 2 VU TVs and 2 TCL ones in addition to an LG. All have been quite good. Vu made sense about 5 years ago but now brands like TCL and Xiaomi provide better value as Vu is nothing but rebadged older technology TVs whereas companies like TCL are one of the biggest manufacturers in the world with a lot of research and innovation.

1.Vu 47 inch 2012 purchased for 40k. 1080p semi smart. It functioned quite well and about 3 years later I upgraded. Sold for 12k to TV installer.
2. Vu 60 inch 1080p smart purchased for around 65k in 2016. It worked really well with excellent picture quality and sound. Exchanged in 2019 for 25k with Amazon.
3. TCL 75 inch 4k Android smart TV purchased on Amazon in 2019 for 150k minus 25k exchange. Still using this as our main TV. It comes with a built in Harmon Kardon sound bar. Extremely satisfied with it. The OS is fast and responsive. Picture quality is practically the same as Sony or Samsung. 4k and HDR are superb. Netflix and YouTube as well as other OTT apps play flawlessly. The sound is awesome. Overall a steal at that time as Samsung and Sony were around 300k.
4. TCL 55 inch 4k Android smart TV purchased as a special deal at Croma for 15k. This was used as a second TV in an office. Overall quite good in picture quality, sound as well as OS. Slightly inferior to the TCL 75 inch model but great for the price.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 14:39   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I’d advise everyone to stay away from AmazonBasics TVs. Our AmazonBasics TV has a manufacturing defect and it stopped working within 12 days of purchase.

Now Amazon’s told me to wait till Monday for the part to arrive. I’ve asked them to process a refund if it doesn’t get sorted by Monday.
Finally was able to return the TV and got the refund today. They said they made an exception to issue a refund, which means that other customers may not get this offer. Please avoid AmazonBasics appliances totally. Their accessories are decent but I won’t buy anything expensive from them ever again.
Old 1st May 2021, 17:18   #109
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a small android/smart tv. 24-26 inch would suffice as its for a small room where parents would use it(to watch serials)when in town(max 1-2 months a year).

Requirements:

Wifi connectivity to help cast from phone.
HD display
Inbuilt speakers

Budget under 15k. Even if it’s not smart can use a Chromecast but wifi enabled Appreciate some suggestions. TIA
Old 1st May 2021, 18:20   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Looking for a small android/smart tv. 24-26 inch would suffice as its for a small room where parents would use it(to watch serials)when in town(max 1-2 months a year).

Requirements:

HD display
Inbuilt speakers

Budget under 15k. Even if it’s not smart can use a Chromecast but wifi enabled Appreciate some suggestions. TIA
Would suggest going for a standard 32 inch TV. Its easier on the eyes and will fit your budget. You can get decent brands like Mi, AmazonBasics, OnePlus etc for that price.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:15   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

Requirements:

HD display
Inbuilt speakers

Please buy a decent 43 inch or larger unit. You can get them for under 25k now. It is easier for older people to watch on a larger screen. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a TV less than 55 inches for a bedroom and less than 75 inches for the drawing room.
Old 5th May 2021, 10:33   #112
Senior - BHPian

Finally zeroed in on the Hisense Tornado 55" A73F after a lot of research. It's available on the Reliance Digital website at 42.5k with a 4 year warranty.

All reviews of this panel are good and its got a motion smoothing MEMC chip as well which is supposed to actually work. Good to know that this TV is assembled in India which is ironic since the supposed 'Indian brand' Vu which rebrands Hisense TV's imports from China !

Any users of the A71 or A73 Hisense TV's ? How's the experience been ?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 5th May 2021 at 10:35.
Old 5th May 2021, 10:48   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
All reviews of this panel are good and its got a motion smoothing MEMC chip as well which is supposed to actually work.
I'd take any benefit offered by this chip with a grain of salt. This is something you usually disable even on the big brand TV's, as it creates an artificial level of smoothness. All you should care about is the panel, general picture quality and if you can get decent sound, then nothing like it.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:09   #114
BHPian

Quote:

Any users of the A71 or A73 Hisense TV's ? How's the experience been ?
I have A71 which was bought in December, 2020. This was a kind of internet review purchase (even without seeing the actual screen). It was a big mistake, I'm not happy with the back/grey rendering nor with color reproduction. But if you have access to 4K videos it seems to do its work. This is all in comparison with VU 55" which had a better color reproduction but it conked off at about 3 years of usage (was lucky as I had extended warranty plan and they did not have spare parts to repair it, so got cash after depreciation). So my suggestion would be to compare the pictures before writing on the dotted line.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 12:31   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I have A71 which was bought in December, 2020. This was a kind of internet review purchase (even without seeing the actual screen). It was a big mistake, I'm not happy with the back/grey rendering nor with color reproduction. But if you have access to 4K videos it seems to do its work. This is all in comparison with VU 55" ...
Thanks for this. Anyway the purchase will be only after the restrictions for non-essential goods eases in MH. My current TV is a 40" FHD VU which is 4.5 years old now and has been a good experience.

My usage is OTT and PS4 so all content will be atleast HD and since VU is also essentially a Hisense I find their upscaler is pretty good.

My biggest draw to this TV is the 4 year warranty as I feel most panels in this price range will give similar performance, but longevity is the gamble today with even the more expensive TV's having issues.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 5th May 2021 at 12:34.
Old 5th May 2021, 14:03   #116
BHPian

Had a 55 inch Philips bought at reliance for ~ 70K in 2015. Worked well for ~4 years. 3 repairs did not fix the no video problem, returned and replaced it with Thomson 49 inch TV. Going fine for 1.5 years or more.
Old 21st May 2021, 12:43   #117
BHPian

Looking for a 32 inch smart tv Full HD. I currently have a Sony Bravia 26 inch tv bought in 2009 running fine except few vertical lines on screen. Our hall size is such that we cannot go beyond 32 inch. Here are my usage preferences :

1. Amazon Prime, Hotstar and Netflix
2. Regional channels, Eurosport, Discovery/NGC/BBC earth/Animal Planet, Sony sports (all channels)
3. PS4
4. Good sound quality an added bonus

I do not want to go for costly brands as it is a 32 inch TV for now. The brands I have shortlisted :

1. Oneplus
2. Sanyo
3. Mi
4. VU

Presently these are the brands I know on the smart Tv line, requesting members to suggest a good product basis your ownership experience.

Not in a hurry to buy now. If there are good products planned to launch in the festive season I can wait.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 21st May 2021 at 12:44. Reason: Edits
Old 4th June 2021, 12:51   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally zeroed in on the Hisense Tornado 55" A73F after a lot of research. It's available on the Reliance Digital website at 42.5k with a 4 year warranty.

Finally went ahead with the Hisense 55A73F Tornado. Got it at 40,800 with a 4 year warranty (managed the extra discount by taking the no cost EMI and then cancelling the EMI with the bank ).

The panel is nice and bright with good deep uniform blacks and good colour reproduction. I don't see any light bleeding as well which seems to be a complaint online for Hisense TV's. Android 9 runs nice and smooth and all OTT shortcuts are provided on the remote (Netflix, Amazon, Hotstar, Youtube...)

The heavily marketed 102W JBL soundbar is good as a TV speaker but not at all a replacement to a proper sound system. My Sony HTS-350 is anyway doing the sound duties. The fabric covered soundbar though is a nice design element and gives the TV a premium look.

Overall a good upgrade from my 4 year old VU 40" and the Sony 43" at my parents place. Full HD and 4k content looks so good on this lovely screen. Happy with this great value purchase and the peace of mind with the 4 year comprehensive warranty.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 4th June 2021 at 12:54.
fiat_tarun is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 11:55   #119
BHPian

Has anyone purchased Nokia TV's or know someone who owns them. I have a requirement to purchase probably two TV's and the features of Nokia TV were good enough on paper at least, especially their TV's with Onkyo soundbars.

Nokia anyway is a good brand so if their product is good, it would be better to go with it for cheap TV's
Old 6th June 2021, 13:53   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Has anyone purchased Nokia TV's or know someone who owns them. I have a requirement to purchase probably two TV's and the features of Nokia TV were good enough on paper at least, especially their TV's with Onkyo soundbars.

Nokia anyway is a good brand so if their product is good, it would be better to go with it for cheap TV's
Purchased the 43" UHD a few months back. Very happy with the purchase. Some things to note:
  • Flipkart has just licensed the Nokia trademark. Nokia plays no role in the manufacturing.
  • The video quality is pretty nice. The sound is amazing, just that there's a huge difference between vol 4 (which is too low) and vol 5 (normal volume).
prateekm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks