Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Which Chinese / Non-TV TV brand are you most likely to vote for with your wallet
HiSense 11 3.31%
Kodak 9 2.71%
Motorola 0 0%
OnePlus 52 15.66%
Realme 4 1.20%
TCL 43 12.95%
Toshiba 34 10.24%
Vu 84 25.30%
Xiaomi 67 20.18%
Others (Please specify) 28 8.43%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 16:30   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Aren't VU & Hisense TV's the same underneath the branding ?
They are the same, however, the difference is more than rebadging. As of today, their manufacturing processes and servicing infrastructure are not the same.

If I break it down further, a Hisense TV and A VU TV will have different post sales SOP.

There are no such "unknowns" in MI.

On the other hand, MI's remote is pathetic. Going into the main menu to tweak basic settings is a herculean task.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 25th February 2021 at 16:37.
Old 27th February 2021, 00:19   #92
BHPian

Re: The Budget / Frugal TV thread

I placed an order for the one of the most expensive budget TVs today, the MI QLED. Lets see how it goes. Delivery in 3 days. Absolutely no technical details available anywhere on the net regarding the contrast ratio, brightness etc and i think that's on purpose. Comparing with Samsung QLEDs there is a perceptible difference in max brightness. But i think no one watches TVs at max brightness anyways.

Most of the reviews on the internet point to the TV providing the best bang for the buck at the price point. Will buy an extended warranty for 4 years and hopefully it lasts the distance.

I do have a VU tv that's almost 6 years old now and going great guns. I don't know how good or bad the picture quality is but with the Firestick its been 23k really well spent.

On a side note, does anyone know if we can run a smart tv in non smart mode? Might as well save some electricity!
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 14:41   #93
BHPian

I'm looking to buy a 43" TV for my hall. The usage will be very, very low - probably a few hours every week. Any pointers on whether I should go for Motorola Rezou or the Nokia one? I don't want to spend more than 30k since my usage doesn't warrant it.
Old 12th March 2021, 00:33   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I am in the process of short listing a 50" 4K TV for my parents in a TIER-II city.

Currently shortlisted MI 4X Pro, Hisense A71F and Toshiba U50.
To close the loop on this - I finally purchased the MI 50" 4K.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 06:40   #95
BHPian

We bought a Sony Bravia 32 inch tv[I think at 33k].Bought it because it was a 'Sony' and that since tv should last long, we went for a established brand. Even dad's brother and dad's sister bought the same. All the three was damaged before even completing 3 years. Sister's tv was repaired for free which again damaged after a few months.

Then we bought a L.G 32 inch H.D Smart tv [A.I Thinq with voice recognition for 28k]. Didn't even look at Sony since we hate it like anything. Made a mistake going for the costly A.I one with voice recognition. This feature was not used even once after the first day. Going fine till now. Good sound quality compared to Sony.[Don't have any idea how a good one sounds]

Bought a TCL 43 inch 4k android tv for 27k last month for a relative. Hope it won't go bad soon.
Old 24th March 2021, 13:39   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I'm looking to buy a 43" TV for my hall. The usage will be very, very low - probably a few hours every week. Any pointers on whether I should go for Motorola Revou or the Nokia one? I don't want to spend more than 30k since my usage doesn't warrant it.
Picked up the Nokia one in the current FK sale for 27.5k. Chose this over Revou as it has a slightly better panel and the sound is better (however Revou has dual band wifi and Android 10, so if that's important then Revou should be your pick).
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 10:32   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Picked up the Nokia one in the current FK sale for 27.5k. Chose this over Revou as it has a slightly better panel and the sound is better (however Revou has dual band wifi and Android 10, so if that's important then Revou should be your pick).
Hello Prateekm,

Congratulations .
I am in the same boat as you and probably many others. I am looking for a 43 inch 4K tv for bedroom. I dont want to burn a hole in my wallet as usage is going to be low. Obvious priorities are decent picture quality and reasonable sound. Would be great if you can inform your criteria for shortlist, shortlisted options and what made you choose Nokia?
Old 28th March 2021, 15:55   #98
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymehta View Post
I am in the same boat as you and probably many others. I am looking for a 43 inch 4K tv for bedroom. I dont want to burn a hole in my wallet as usage is going to be low. Obvious priorities are decent picture quality and reasonable sound. Would be great if you can inform your criteria for shortlist, shortlisted options and what made you choose Nokia?
I would suggest you to take a look at the LG 43UM7290PTF. It's listed on Amazon at 35k, with an additional 10% discount on SBI cards.

When a few thousands more than your budget gets you an established brand with arguably much better service and support, why would you buy the cheaper Chinese stuff? Just my two cents.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 23:32   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymehta View Post
Hello Prateekm,

Congratulations .
I had a very basic requirement: Android + good sound output + decent display (with a focus on the brightness). The Nokia one ticked all the boxes. Revou does have the latest Android but had lesser sound output and an inferior panel (when compared with Nokia), so I picked this one.

Since the failure rates will be higher than the established brands, I'll be picking up a GoWarranty insurance in the coming months for the peace of mind.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 00:03   #100
BHPian

For other members
I can share my experience of iFFalcon 40inch LED tv
I purchased my tv couple of years back and it's still holding amazingly well. I had taken extended battery and also a V-Guard voltage , so far it's been going amazing . I hope it'll last 5 years atleast
911CarerraS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 09:21   #101
BHPian

In the market for a TV for my bedroom - 48 -55 inches.

Usage: Netflix only. Currently use my laptop for the same but want to stop doing that

Budget: capped at 40k

I would ideally like something where I can buy extended warranty and have the max coverage (3 years?)

Usage - 5-8 hours a week

I see too many options on Amazon and Flipkart including Redmi now. Being a noob, just want to get some advice. Even for the same brand, see multiple models and the ratings seem to be all over the place.
Old 9th April 2021, 09:30   #102
BHPian

I’d advise everyone to stay away from AmazonBasics TVs. Our AmazonBasics TV has a manufacturing defect and it stopped working within 12 days of purchase.

On March 18, the TV got stuck at the boot screen and the technician said it needs a motherboard replacement.

The service provider has sent at least six emails saying that the replacement part is not in stock. I’ve called Amazon customer support multiple times and they keep asking me to “wait for five working days” more.

Now it has been 21 days since the TV stopped working due to a manufacturing defect and it has still not been fixed. I’m very disappointed with this experience — I’ve never had such poor service from Amazon. I specifically chose the AmazonBasics brand because I’ve been an Amazon customer for over five years and always been happy with the service.

The service provider is repeatedly asking for more time to wait for the spare part. At this point I cannot wait any longer for our TV to start working again. My faith in Amazon has taken a big hit.

Now Amazon’s told me to wait till Monday for the part to arrive. I’ve asked them to process a refund if it doesn’t get sorted by Monday.
Crow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 13:06   #103
BHPian

We have couple of Sanyo TVs in our household and they are pretty good for the price we have paid. I have got my self a 43 " IPS LCD FHD non-smart tv, the picture quality and sound output are good, especially for the price I have paid, 18k during a sale, the model is now discontinued. My in-laws needed a TV and I recommended them Sanyo 43" 4K android tv (Kaizen series), they got it for Rs. 27k during october last year and they are pretty happy with it.

My younger son decided it was fun to hit the screen with a power plug, which resulted in a broken panel and it now costs me 16k to replace the panel! Decided against replacing the panel and holding on to my purchase of a new TV as my son still thinks its fun to throw his toys at stuff! But next time when I will be in the market I think it will hard for me to choose one. OnePlus and Redmi are offering best bang for buck but of course Sanyo with its Panasonic backing will be better when it comes to picture quality, I believe. I am against spending big money for TVs and budget offerings from these many companies with best bang for buck, are really a blessing for people like me.
Old 9th April 2021, 14:06   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I’d advise everyone to stay away from AmazonBasics TVs.

Now it has been 21 days since the TV stopped working due to a manufacturing defect and it has still not been fixed.

Now Amazon’s told me to wait till Monday for the part to arrive. I’ve asked them to process a refund if it doesn’t get sorted by Monday.
I hope you have chat transcripts / emails recorded in the matter. Even if it is not there, you must be having some case-id, I suggest you to mail the same at jeff@amazon.com or jbezos@amazon.com and tag him and tag amazon.com on twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
My younger son decided it was fun to hit the screen with a power plug, which resulted in a broken panel and it now costs me 16k to replace the panel! Decided against replacing the panel and holding on to my purchase of a new TV as my son still thinks its fun to throw his toys at stuff!
Talk about dead pan delivery, had me in splits .
Sorry for your loss though, hope you finalize a good panel soon.
Old 9th April 2021, 14:12   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I would ideally like something where I can buy extended warranty and have the max coverage (3 years?).
I don't have a suggestion per se, but if you happen to purchase the TV via Flipkart, do purchase the Jeeves extended warranty.

A TV I purchased last year developed serious display issues twice and both times the repairs replacement was carried out promptly.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed