Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Chinese / Non-TV TV brand are you most likely to vote for with your wallet
HiSense 11 3.29%
Kodak 9 2.69%
Motorola 0 0%
OnePlus 52 15.57%
Realme 4 1.20%
TCL 43 12.87%
Toshiba 34 10.18%
Vu 85 25.45%
Xiaomi 68 20.36%
Others (Please specify) 28 8.38%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 08:14   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Any other suggestions also welcome.
Take a look at this Panasonic

At the budget end, a Xiaomi is decent.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 09:29   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Hi all.

A budget TV question. [43"-55"]

I'm looking for a budget LED tv for my parents.

They won't be using the internet / streaming app in TV. Just for watching channels through the cable connection at home (HD and SD channels)
Considering Mi, OnePlus, Thomson & Toshiba (even though parents are no keen to own another Toshiba). : 43"-55"
Any other suggestions also welcome.
Consider Vu / Hisense too. Apart from the great picture quality and very natural colour reproduction, they have arguably the best upscaler among the budget TV's, especially since SD channels will be watched. Among these 2, I think Vu has the better customer service.
fiat_tarun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 13:40   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Budget / Frugal TV thread

An update:

I had mentioned earlier in the thread that my In laws had purchased the Nokia 43 Inch Full HD Android TV last year. It was a TV that was not really needed.

After 13 months of being used primarily like a dumb tv, the panel finally gave way and white patches started appearing on it.

Thankfully extended warranty was purchased at the time of purchase but it was from Flipkart (Jeeves) and not by the brand (Nokia). Possibility of repair was refused by Jeeves. Refund will be processed.

As per the terms and conditions of the warranty, in such a scenario 20% value will be deducted from the original invoice value. That is around ₹4200 (Purchase price ₹21000).

The extended warranty which was used for just 1 month itself cost ₹1600 at the time of purchase.

Now comes the kicker. Prices of TVs have increased in the past 1 year. Similar TV from Nokia now costs ₹26-27k.

All in all, the TV costed the following for 13 months of usage:
₹4200 - Loss in depreciation
₹1600 - Warranty charges
₹5000 - Cost of replacing the TV with a similar one.
Total: ₹10800.
Kinda steep considering the original TV costed just 21k. But still cheaper than renting off a portal like Rentomojo / Furlenco or similar.

Refund was just processed, and the process itself was relatively painless.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 16:52   #139
Oxy
BHPian

I understand this is an FALD, but VU is trying to move away from the budget/frugal category it seems with the Masterpiece Glo series launched today.

https://www.amazon.in/b/ref=mh_s9_ac...d_i=1389396031

Last edited by Oxy : 7th March 2022 at 16:55.
Old 21st May 2022, 16:24   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I placed an order for the one of the most expensive budget TVs today, the MI QLED. Lets see how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
So I've been using the TV for almost a month now. I would say very acceptable for the price, no questions asked. Decent sound, good picture. Haven't hooked it up with STBs yet. I havent been able to watch any tennis or motorracing yet as that would be a good test. My TV is in the living room and the only shows that run for a meaningful amount of time are the animated shows & cat,dog videos on YouTube, courtesy my 18 month old babbling daughter
So my MI QLED TV display gives up after only 14 months ! Even though i do have an extended warranty plan for the 2nd year and MI will replace the screen for free, but the experience has been downright scary. Honestly didnt expect the screen to give up in just over an year. I have shot off a mail to MI on this. Lets see if they can provide a convincing reply.

Once this TV conks off and i have a feeling it will in the next 2-3 years, i will make sure to stick to cheaper TVs. My VU TV is going great guns in its 7th year. I will strongly suggest against investing in the more premium TVs unless one is mentally ready to purchase a new unit every few years

Last edited by coldice4u : 21st May 2022 at 16:27.
coldice4u is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 21:24   #141
Team-BHP Support

We got ourselves a Motorola 32 inch TV recently. Paid 15k + 2.1k for a 3 year warranty - 2.5k for exchange of old TV in working condition.

- The designated space could not accomodate anything bigger, so 32 inches was the only possibility

- Motorola, only because it was the only one that had 40w sound. Every other brand was 20w or thereabouts. The TV is for my parents and their hearing is deteriorating with age so we took a gamble with this. So far so good. The sound is much much better than my 55 inch Vu TV.

- We cut the chord long time back, so usage is only OTT.

https://www.flipkart.com/motorola-zx...UYG4GNHNRMUL76

Last edited by Eddy : 20th June 2022 at 22:15.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:36   #142

Hi All,

Please suggest a reliable brand for a 32 inch TV? I'm leaning in for a VU tv however parents are not in favour of buying it online. They want to see in person and then decide. Any pointers would be great.
Old 24th June 2022, 19:35   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
Hi All,

Please suggest a reliable brand for a 32 inch TV? I'm leaning in for a VU tv however parents are not in favour of buying it online. They want to see in person and then decide. Any pointers would be great.
Xiaomi is decent, though offline availability is through very few channels I believe(check out mi stores in your area).

Only thing with 32 inches is, you might have to settle with a 720P/HD ready display.
subie_socal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 16:25   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
Hi All,

Got a croma 32 inch LED TV for 6990. They were offering 3 years warranty on this one, I paid a bit more to get 2 years additional warranty (always go for the maximum warranty, feels good to be a BHPian in this case). I have a fire stick at home so the need is fulfilled for parents.
sayyam.gaur58 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:04   #145
BHPian

Anybody here bought a frugal brand TV and managed to use it for 5 years or more without any serious issues?

If you ever had to call customer care, how was your overall experience?
Old 27th June 2022, 11:58   #146
Senior - BHPian

^^ A VU 40" I bought in 2016 as a trial is still going strong ! I can now see some light bleeding on the edges on a blank black screen but only very slightly noticeable when something is playing.

Luckily have not needed any service support, so can't comment on that.
fiat_tarun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 12:20   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ A VU 40" I bought in 2016 as a trial is still going strong ! I can now see some light bleeding on the edges on a blank black screen but only very slightly noticeable when something is playing.

Luckily have not needed any service support, so can't comment on that.
+1

The VU 40inch 4K TV came with a 3 year brand warranty back in October 2016. It remains the primary TV in my household till date.

I haven't noticed any light bleeds but that may probably be due to the fact that I ain't looking.

I use it with the Mi Box 4K and everything works flawlessly.
Old 27th June 2022, 12:33   #148
Senior - BHPian

Happy to tell you that we are still using a Samsung 42 inch LCD TV as our main TV set. This was purchased in June 2007 and we have been using it ever since. Originally we were on Tata Sky and moved to Tata Sky HD when it came. This is still very much there.

With the addition of the Fire TV stick when this phenomenon came about, this 15 year old TV continues to be as relevant for us now as it was when we bought it.

The picture quality is superb. The sound is excellent.
And we havent felt the need to upgrade the TV until now.

In our downstairs we have a Toshiba HD LED Panel TV which is around 10 years old and that is also excellent. First class picture and sound quality.

I submit that with this experience, it is not really necessary to keep upgrading one’s TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ A VU 40" I bought in 2016 as a trial is still going strong ! I .
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 12:50   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Anybody here bought a frugal brand TV and managed to use it for 5 years or more without any serious issues?
Sanyo 32" 1080p (yes, back then we'd get that resolution in 32" also, unlike only 768p nowadays), bought in late 2016 for 17k, still going strong. (No support calls yet so can't comment on that, but installation was timely).

Sanyo is a sister brand of Panasonic. This one is not a smart TV, so needs an external device, which I prefer anyway because it gives more flexibility and better performance.

The pixel density is superb; clarity of TV shows through HD set-top box, just a couple of feet away from the screen, are still one of the best I have seen, even compared to the 4k large screen TVs nowadays. And the 1080p at 60Hz is good enough for an Xbox Series S.

32" is really the sweet spot for FHD in TV, but sadly the only option to get one nowadays is a monitor
Old 24th September 2022, 22:19   #150
BANNED

I have ordered a Compaq 50inch TV for 22k and am waiting for its delivery. I am planning to use it as a monitor for my laptop. Is it a reliable choice? Is there any widespread negative opinion about them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks