Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What screen size do you prefer for your phone?
5 inches or below 54 17.70%
5 to 6 inches 167 54.75%
6 to 7 inches 76 24.92%
Bigger the better - 7 inches or above 8 2.62%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 12:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Smartphones: Your preferred screen size

Voted for under 5 inches.

Since my two wheelers touring days(2007), I was always a fan of compact phones which sit comfortably in my pockets for hours together while on the saddle. Although I barely tour or even ride a bike these days but still the preference never changed. My current phone is 5.8" and I find it kinda big for single palm usage. Sadly phones these days are getting ultra large thanks to pubg generation Personally for games I always preferred a PC and since last 3 years I prefer playing on the PS4. For me phone is meant to be used for calling, social media, occasional clicks and some browsing. Planning to pick up the iPhone SE-2 for same reason now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post

I badly miss beauties like these
Tell me about it. I had the galaxy 551. And used to love the querty keyboard. Wish someone brought this bodyform back.

Smartphones: Your preferred screen size-screenshot_202008151221232.png

Last edited by SoumenD : 15th August 2020 at 12:45.
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:54   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Voted for under 5 inches.

Tell me about it. I had the galaxy 551. And used to love the querty keyboard. Wish someone brought this bodyform back.

Attachment 2043069
Lovely! BB has it currently but I'm skeptical about going for it.
Old 15th August 2020, 13:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Voted for bigger the better.

For me Smartphones are not just 'smart' phones, it is almost like a PC these days. Lots of internet searching, reading, trading & stock analysis apps, utility apps, online shopping, videos/Photos shooting & editing, social media and communication, navigation (Android Auto), finance & accounting, onedrive and collaboration, etc. For me it is always bigger the better. Big screen, Better SoC, RAM, Storage, Camera, all matters. Hence my current daily driver is a 7.2" one.

Cheers!
Old 15th August 2020, 13:28   #64
BHPian

Voted for 5 to 6 inches.

With the current trend of edge-to-edge displays it narrows down to the screen size defining the actual form factor of the phone. I use the iPhone 7, and I really love the form-factor of that phone. In a sea of huge 6.5 to even 6.8" displays, this humble 4.7" phone with a compact form-factor does the job. The single-handed use is so good.
But yeah, the 4.7" has started showing that it's a little less for the current trend, especially for watching some quick videos and stuff. I am not much into gaming.
Eagerly waiting for the iPhone 12 with the rumored 5.4" in the form-factor which is supposedly smaller then the iPhone 7. I think this device will be a real treat to the people who love their compact phones.
Old 15th August 2020, 14:04   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted 5-6", actually 5.5-6" is the sweet spot for my medium sized hands. Anything over that becomes a bit unwieldy especially with a case, normally a Spigen. That's why the iPhone 11 Pro rather than the Max looks like a logical upgrade from my iPhone 7+. But first let's see what the new IP12 models offer. I hope handsets assembled in India cost less.
Old 15th August 2020, 19:10   #66
BHPian

For me screen size is less important but the size of the phone is more important for one-handed use. I had an iPhone 5S followed by an iPhone 6 and these phones were spot on, the 5S more so. Got an iPhone X after 6 and the X does feel slightly big for continuous one hand use, especially if you need to reach the top corners of the screen frequently. It gets worse if you have a thick case. Yes, you can enable the one-hand mode sometimes but I don't tend to do it every time. Out of the current iPhones, the 11 Pro is similar to the X in size but the Pro Max feels way too big for one-hand use.
Old 15th August 2020, 19:49   #67
BHPian

Now, it seems like mobiles are in an average screen size of 6.1 to 6.2 inches. And I feel this is good enough. Sure, one-handed operation is difficult for most, but it is manageable thanks to gesture-based navigation both in iOS and Android. The size of the Ultra models of the S and Note series of Samsung seems ridiculous to me. Large screens are good for games and content too, and once you go the "large phone" way, it is really difficult to even imagine using a smaller phone size like say, the iPhone SE.
Old 15th August 2020, 19:51   #68
BHPian

I would prefer somewhere between 6-6.5 inch as mostly I'm on my smartphone instead of desktop or laptop. It is the perfect size for watching videos and extended usage without compromising portability.
Old 16th August 2020, 08:45   #69
BHPian

Use an iPhone SE—4”. Anything larger I hate. Not sure what options I will have when this dies out. I prefer small screens.
Old 16th August 2020, 12:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

6"-6.5" is the preferred and maximum screen size I would go for in current times. Anything above 7" doesn't gives a feeling of holding a phone and you tread in tab category!

PS - But yes, my first smartphone bought way back in 2012 - HTC One V with 3.8" screen was the perfect sweet spot in terms of size!

Last edited by bluevolt : 16th August 2020 at 12:32.
Old 16th August 2020, 14:49   #71
BHPian

6 to 6.5" for me.

I started my smartphone life with a 2.6" hTC Chacha (with Qwerty). Then 4.7" lenovo S820 , then Zenfone Laser 5.0" , Mi A1 with 5.5" and now Honor Play with 6.3".

Ever since the bezel size began to decrease the 6.0" looks normal and convenient to hold too. A smartphone with no bezels is manageable even if it's 6.6".

Last edited by kamilharis : 16th August 2020 at 14:51.
Old 4th September 2020, 06:34   #72
Team-BHP Support

So the Samsung S10 is gone. Traded-in for the new Note 20 Ultra for wife, and the S10 is now replaced with her previous S20 plus. The plus is really massive with its 6.7 inch screen and single-handed operation is indeed a pain. The 11 Pro looks real small in comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I feel Apple got it right with the iPhone 11 pro – not too big and not too small. And nowadays the bezels (or lack of it) matters as much as the screen size. My work phone, Samsung S10 is 6.1 inch on paper, but it feels small in hand due to the minimal bezel.
Smartphones: Your preferred screen size-9f915f3a9d174617a91aaa3ca7bdb1a7.jpg
Old 4th September 2020, 08:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

I moved up recently from 5.99" (Redmi Note 5 Pro) to 6.5" (OP 8 5G) but with a changed aspect ratio. While the screen has increased overall, but the OnePlus is slightly narrower and slightly taller, which makes it easier to fit in the palm than the older phone. Hence my pick is the 6 to 7 inch option on the poll, although a lot has to do with the aspect ratio being used.
Old 4th September 2020, 09:30   #74
BHPian

I recently got a Motorola g8 power lite to replace my ageing one plus 2. It' s a big upgrade in terms of screen size and bigger is better for me since I use my phone a lot more than my laptop to watch content and read Teambhp .
The new display is 6.5 inches which is although a pain for one handed usage is a boon for watching content when on the go.
Attached Thumbnails
Smartphones: Your preferred screen size-img20200904wa0006.jpg  

aansh singhania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:59   #75
BHPian

My Previous phone was the ancient OnePlus2. A 175gram brick with screen size of 5.5in and large bezels. That was a pain, so decided any phone I pick will be smaller than that in terms of outer dimensions. The Samsung S10 fit the bill - larger display yet smaller overall dimensions. Had asked my friends to pick it up in the US when the pandemic broke out. Meanwhile the OP2 started dying quicker.

So then decided to check out Samsung S10E - same flagship specs albeit with one cam lesser, 1080p oled display instead of whatever S10 had, 6Gb ram instead of 8 and a side facing fingerprint scanner instead of in display.

Smartphones: Your preferred screen size-img_0155.jpg

Smartphones: Your preferred screen size-img_0156.jpg

And boy I am so glad went for this. That compact form is so welcome. And it still has a larger screen than OP2. The joy this phone gives me is also coupled with the sad fact that this will probably be the last of the flagship compact phones.

Oh and also the photos were clicked from ancient lovable Ipod touch. here is a size comparison of that tiny music player with the OP2

Smartphones: Your preferred screen size-20200904_101800.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks