Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What screen size do you prefer for your phone?
5 inches or below 54 17.70%
5 to 6 inches 167 54.75%
6 to 7 inches 76 24.92%
Bigger the better - 7 inches or above 8 2.62%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2020, 18:17   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Smartphones: Your preferred screen size

My preference is 5.5 inches. Easy to use with a single hand(I can use my thumb from the top of the screen to the very bottom on a 5.5 inch smartphone) and not a hindrance to place in pockets/smaller storage spaces.

I don't like the XL size phones. I have XL size palms and fingers but even then I find them uncomfortable to use.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 14th August 2020 at 18:18.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 18:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

I tried searching for smaller sized phones with good specifications, but unfortunately not many options. Samsung Galaxy M01 has a 5.7 inch screen and is definitely much more comfortable for single handed usage than most other 6.xx inch screen monster phones on sale today.

Specs are very average, and a downgrade from my current Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro, but because I am tired of its massive size, I am looking at downgrading and going for the Samsung.

Any other small-sized options in the below 15,000 range that I am missing?
Old 14th August 2020, 18:44   #48
BHPian

If we need a smart phone - really handy, pocket friendly (literally), light weight and easy to talk the best I used was the legend Nokia 3310 or other colour multimedia rich phones like iphone 5s, earlier galaxy series, which were so pleasing to use.

I would rather use a good enough specced device for phone, calendar, emails even music, and have another tablet or device with a minimum of 10" screen without any other buttons (e.g. Ipad) for good multimedia videos, gaming etc.

Unfortunately, there are no phone available in around 5" size anymore.

Anyone disagreeing try iphone 5s for a day and then let know the feedback. You will be pleasantly surprised yourself.

Dont like mixing everything and carrying a bulky, weighty 6+ inch devices whole day.
xway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 21:20   #49
BHPian

For me its certainly around 5 inches. Everything can be optimized for such sizes, and all the major apps are anyway compatible on those sizes. Single handed usage, and far more convenient to hold.

I badly miss beauties like these

Smartphones: Your preferred screen size-maxresdefault.jpg

Smartphones: Your preferred screen size-sonyericssonxperiax10miniprooriginalimad2jhsszrp7htq.jpeg

Even after so many years, I'd still prefer a QWERTY over a touchscreen. Wit hor without QWERTies, there is still (call an enthusiast from this genre) market for smaller phones with decent enough specs.

Even Steve Jobs once was against screens bigger than 3.5 inches because he considered them better for single handed use. How far apple has come to break the rule after his demise.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 21:37   #50
BHPian

I prefer a phone with a display size around 5 inches. Screen size is extremely important to me. I'm currently using a Moto X4 which has a size of 5.2 inches. The only phone I would upgrade to is an iPhone SE but can't really see the point since the only thing I use a phone for is WhatsApp and Instagram.
Old 14th August 2020, 21:39   #51
BHPian

Voted for 5 to 6 inch. When I was shopping for a new phone last year I was looking for screen size less than 6 inch, because I wanted a small, light weight and compact phone. Less than 70mm wide, less than 130 gm was my criteria. I see no value in paying a premium for an iPhone. Among Android phones it's very difficult to find a decent one below 6" screen size. So I settled for a 6.1" screen phone.
Old 14th August 2020, 22:24   #52
BHPian

Aah smartphone screen sizes. I remember the days of the original Samsung Note (a behemoth at 5.1"), everyone thought it was too big. No phone would go bigger, nobody needed such a large screen. It even elicited scorn from Steve Jobs (3.5" was the perfect size for a phone). How foolish were we, in those days.

Now we live in times where a 5.5" screen is considered small. 6.0" just right and 6.9" too big. Are we still being foolish? Is 6.9" really too big? Where will it end?

I started my smartphone journey with a 2.8" windows mobile phone, an "iMate" (this was before the days of the iphone, and before the acquisition of Nokia by Microsoft). I remember thinking that the screen was perfectly big enough. Then came the Samsung Galaxy S with its 4" screen, OMG! What a huge screen I thought, don't need anything bigger. Then came the Nexus 5 with its 5" screen, wow that's a huge display I thought, the perfect size, I'll never buy anything bigger. Now i'm using a Samsung S8 with a 5.8" screen and dreaming of the Samsung S20 with a 6.2" screen, convinced fully that it's the perfect size, that i'll never need anything larger.

Now onto a side note, with what is probably my favourite smartphone of all time. *drum-roll* the "Blackberry Passport" (No no, I haven't been certified crazy probably because I avoid all psychiatrists/psychologists).

Please do be patient with me, while I explain. (Disclaimer - I do not play games on my phone. At least not for some time now, nor do I use a thousand apps). This is not about the user interface or its battery, both of which I loved (buttery smooth and 2 days with moderate to heavy use respectively), but rather of it's unique screen. It had a 4.5" screen with a 1:1 ratio, it was perfect to read emails, PDF's (without needing to flip the phone around or scroll sideways. The whole PDF fit onto the screen, while keeping the text big enough to read. The phone was a lot broader than other phones, but not as tall and fit into the pant pocket without trouble. It was all the screen I ever needed. I still miss the phone.

Moderator's Note:

1. Please do not type with excessive dots... like...... this...... Affects readability for the users.

2. Please take the time to construct your posts, capitalise wherever necessary.

3. Smileys are limited to 2 per post. Please go through the rules of the forum. Thank you for the understanding!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th August 2020 at 23:28. Reason: Please read the note posted above.
Old 14th August 2020, 23:08   #53
BHPian

5.8" - 6" display in a handset with the overall dimensions of an iPhone 8/SE would be perfect for me. I currently own a Oneplus 7T and I miss the compactness of my previous iPhone 8.

The upcoming iPhone with 6.1" display with minimal bezels and overall footprint comparable to the iPhone 8 would be great. I wish manufacturers focus more on premium compact smartphones like the iPhone SE and Samsung S10E.
miles_hungry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 23:43   #54

iPhone SE is the ideal sized phone for me. Can be easily held in one hand and the thumb can touch all the corners of the screen effortlessly.
I’m not one to watch movies on phone, hence this phone suits my needs. Lately with iPad and smart TVs the smartphone has taken a backseat in entertainment arena.

Before the iOS mania caught up with me, Nokia Lumia 5xx, 7xx were my best buddies. I still miss those wonderful Windows Phones.
Old 15th August 2020, 00:00   #55
bkc
BHPian

I believe the size depends on one's hand.

Some have large hands and can easily handle 6inch phones. Most of us are okay with 5.5inches like the Uk 8-9 size Footwear.
Old 15th August 2020, 00:01   #56
osp

My best size is that which, while supporting the phone with the little finger at the bottom, allows me to reach the top of the screen with my thumb to pull down the notification bar (Android user, here). Sadly the days of good Android phones within 5" screen size, seem to be a thing of the past!
Old 15th August 2020, 09:38   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I would ideally like a 4" phone. The iPhone 4 and 5 were the best size. However, these days, increased media consumption especially in video format makes it better to have bigger screens.

To carry the phone I'd prefer 4". But, for media I'm ok with the biggest. Anyhow I dont run around with the phone in my pocket. It's almost always in a table, car or in my hand.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 11:32   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It is not purely screen size. It is actually the width of the phone that we should be looking at. The reason? Earlier the screen aspect ratio was 4:3 then 16:9 and nowadays 20:9. So the 6 inch screen of yesteryear was wider while the current 6 inch phone is smaller.

My preferred width is 70 / 71 mm, phone case included.
I completely agree here, what matters to me as sell is the feel of teh phone in-hand. This is has many elements to it:
  • Screen size
  • Bezel size (based on the phone design)
  • Case that holds the phone

I am not a big fan of phones which flaunt near-zero bezels, because I feel this causes inadventent screen taps. iPhone 7 with a thin case is the right size for me.
Old 15th August 2020, 11:33   #59
BHPian

Right now I'm using a 6-inch screen size phone with 18:9 aspect ratio. My palms are on the larger side and screen is too narrow for me to use with both hands, I would prefer a 5.5-inch screen size with old 16:9 aspect ratio.
Old 15th August 2020, 12:14   #60
BHPian

Voted for 6 to 7 inches.

I think choice of screen size should also depend on size of palm and fingers.

I am 5"9' in height with regular sized palm and fingers, as it should be for an Indian of this height. Currently using Oneplus 7 pro (6.67' screen), which I certainly find big for regular use. I did not put much emphasis on screen size while buying.

One of the biggest irritations is to slide down notification slider. Good thing is there is an alternative for that. One of the three soft buttons at the bottom can be customised, to slide down the notification panel. Its irritating at times to use both hands to use the phone.

My next phone is certainly going to be ideally with screen size between 6.1'-6.4' (6.3' would be perfect). Below 6 inch, I find it too small.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks