Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What screen size do you prefer for your phone?
5 inches or below 54 17.70%
5 to 6 inches 167 54.75%
6 to 7 inches 76 24.92%
Bigger the better - 7 inches or above 8 2.62%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2020, 11:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Smartphones: Your preferred screen size

I like my smartphone big on screensize - with spending almost 3 hours per day in the bus before the corona-age.

Use a Note-9 now, 6.4" for namesake but width is quite less - which IMHO deprives the "big phone" feel.

Miss the "phablet" form-factor with higher screen aspect ratio - like Galaxy Note series earlier versions which had very even length x breadth ratio in my opinion !
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 12:36   #32
BANNED

I voted for 6-7 inch screen size. Now a days, smartphone manufacturers are using more than 90% of the front side for the screen, thereby giving a large screen in small form factor. My new 6.5 inch screen phone matches the size of my old 5.5 inch screen phone.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th August 2020 at 22:17. Reason: Grammar, punctuation
pawarsw is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th August 2020, 13:06   #33
BHPian

I prefer screen size upto 6.5 inches. Got used to this screen size by using Apple iPhone XS Max. At first it was very uncomfortable because I was used to iPhone 7 but now I am pretty much used to it.
Old 14th August 2020, 13:32   #34
BHPian

Recently purchased the SE 2020, and now I have the best of both worlds. The other phone I use is Samsung Note 8.
Do love the big 6.8inch screen and the stylus, but at times the screen is just too big to handle.
It’s like carrying a TV remote with you all the time.

Using the SE as my primary for now and nothing beats the one handed operation.
Old 14th August 2020, 13:40   #35
BHPian

Screen size is not nearly as important as phone size. On a higher screen to ratio phone, a bigger screen is completely welcome while maintaining the overall size of the phone easy enough to handle one handed when needed.

Last edited by shankarbn : 14th August 2020 at 13:42.
Old 14th August 2020, 13:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I love large screens. The bigger, the better from my point of view. My current phone, which I absolutely love, is a 7.2 inch Huawei Mate 20X. This is real 7.2 inches in the classic form factor, not the new long and thin trend that makes screens smaller.Yes, carrying my phone is a little hard but it is well worth it. What also helps is the amoled screen, great sound, flagship performance and a great array of cameras on my device.
Amen! My current phone as well which I am using since Jan 2019! and I honestly have no plans to switch anytime soon. There isn't any phone in the market that even comes close in terms of screen real estate. I have rather large hands and long fingers so this is comfortable to use single handed for basic use as well

I had briefly bought the Asus ROG phone 2 for the 120 hz display fad but then i found that 6.7 inch screen to be small compared to Mate 20 X so switched back.

I really wish they had launched the Mate 30 X or the 40 X (later this year). I honestly HATE those 20:9 and 21:9 tall tubular phones.
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 13:52   #37
BHPian

I have voted for 5-6 inches. Anything smaller does not deserve my money [falls into the feature-phone/keypad-phone segment] and anything bigger does not fit into my pocket and goes into the Tablet/taphone/phablet segment.

OFF Topic: Only exceptions that I would consider are/were the Lumia series, just for the Windows OS with the Carl Ziess sensor cameras irrespective of their screen sizes. In their initial days of launch, my colleagues used to flaunt them, showing off those in-built MS Office apps. Sad that MS stopped support for their Windows10 phones.
Old 14th August 2020, 13:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted 6-7 inches.

I'm using the OnePlus 6 for the past 2 years. I upgraded from a 5" OnePlus X to the 6.3" screen. Initially, the 6.3 looked and felt big, but I've grown to become very comfortable with it.

Nowadays I'm using a lot of MS Teams also, for which the 6.3" size seems perfect. The only con is that it doesn't fit into the shirt pocket too well.
Old 14th August 2020, 14:56   #39
BHPian

Purchased Oppo A52 recently, and big screen was the main reason. Love the 6.5 FHD+ neo screen along with sterio speakers. For someone who likes watching YouTube or streaming matches on smartphone, big screen is a must. I am one of them. My only grouse with big screens is that they make smartphones heavier.

Last edited by RD150 : 14th August 2020 at 14:58.
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 15:16   #40
BHPian

I think it's subjective also. I prefer to have a phone of screen size more than 5 inches, but my wife prefers a phone (not screen, but the entire phone dimension) of size less than 5 inches, because that is comfortable in her palm and can easily be handled.
Old 14th August 2020, 15:27   #41
BHPian

I use Samsung S10 plus now and it's quite big to hold with one hand. Previously I had S9 which was very comfortable and light weight but battery backup was poor.

I badly need a small smart phone which can easily operatable with single hand.
Sadly there are only 2 options available in the market and both are super expensive.

Here is an interesting site to compare phone dimensions
https://phonesized.com/compare/#1447,1182,1181

Samsung Galaxy S10e and Apple iPhone SE.
Now I am not an iOS guy and I like Android but S10e is way too expensive.

I don't expect too much from phone, but Google Pay is must and Whatsapp is desirable.

Can you guys suggest me something please?
Old 14th August 2020, 16:11   #42
BHPian

While I'm fine with a 5-6 inch screen size what I would also consider is the weight of the phone. The bigger screen phones with big batteries tend to weigh a lot more than their smaller cousins. Personally the new pixel 4a at 143 gms with a 5.81 inch screen is just perfect for me.
Old 14th August 2020, 16:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
I moved from an iPhone 6s (4.7) to Samsung S7 (5.2) three years ago. I think more than the screen size, its overall form factor for me. For now, I'm hoping to upgrade to an S10e when I need to.

Anything larger and I really have an issue using it with one hand.
You exactly mirrored my journey as well. Moved from iPhone 5s to Samsung s7. And planning to move to s10e. I can never imagine myself having one of those big screen phones as I am uncomfortable holding them with my small palms. Good thing that the body to screen ratio has improved so much that the s10e and s7 is almost identical in size.
Old 14th August 2020, 17:20   #44
BHPian

A smartphone between 5-6 inches is an ideal fit both in the pocket as well as the thumb reaching every corner of the phone (one hand operation). Also its an ideal size for watching movies and screen sharing during meetings.
Old 14th August 2020, 17:37   #45
BHPian

Not a fan of large screen. My preference is 5.7 - 5.8 inch max. I do not use mobile phone for video at all, so prefer smaller mobile form factor. For 2 years using Samsung Galaxy S9 and though there may be more than a year left for this phone to be in its prime (OS, battery and hardware to show age), still back in my mind I know that there is no new mobile coming in this size specially flagships and have to compromise and settle for a large screen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks