Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What screen size do you prefer for your phone?
5 inches or below 54 17.70%
5 to 6 inches 167 54.75%
6 to 7 inches 76 24.92%
Bigger the better - 7 inches or above 8 2.62%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2020, 10:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Smartphones: Your preferred screen size

I prefer 5.8 to 6.2 or lets say, anything under 6.5. I too was not a big screen guy, I still am not.

Poor battery on small smartphones have made me look at bigger phones.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th August 2020 at 11:44.
Old 13th August 2020, 10:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for 5 and lower, although something till 5.5 inches would be ideal too. With full front screens a reality, a 5 inch (diagonal edge to edge) is sufficient for me. I still swear by Steve Job's assessment of how the idea size of the phone is one that just fits in your palm. A screen size of that length and average sized width is more than sufficient.

I still believe the iPhone SE or the iPhone 6 are ideal sizes. While currently on a Samsung S8 which I feel is probably just 15% more than what I want, I'm actually looking at the new upcoming Google Pixel 4a which has the perfect size that I prefer.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:56   #18
BHPian

The ideal screen size for me would be between 5-6 inches. Androids have left that space, except for the Pixel a series.

Everytime, I complain about not having a phone in that size and I am forced to get a new one again in a huge form factor. Current have a OnePlus 7T Pro, having moved from a Huawei Mate 10 Pro.

If not for my workarounds on Android, my ideal purchase now would be an Iphone 11 Pro or the upcoming Iphone 12. I just stand to lose way too much by shifting to the Apple ecosystem which is stopping me from moving over.
Old 13th August 2020, 15:09   #19
BHPian

I moved from an iPhone 6s (4.7) to Samsung S7 (5.2) three years ago. I think more than the screen size, its overall form factor for me. For now, I'm hoping to upgrade to an S10e when I need to.

Anything larger and I really have an issue using it with one hand.
Tapish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 17:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I love large screens. The bigger, the better from my point of view. My current phone, which I absolutely love, is a 7.2 inch Huawei Mate 20X. If today I find a good phone with a screen size of 7.5 or 8 inches, I would again go for it.
8 inches, How do you manage to even hold such a big phone? You must be having really big hands like Dharmendra Even the ipad mini is 7.9 inches. I have a 6.3 inch phone and I really find it difficult to operate with one hand.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th August 2020 at 10:22. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post please. Thanks.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 17:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

5.8" preferred. Max i can be comfortable is 6".Width wise 70-75 mm is ideal for me.Nokia 6.1/7.1 plus are the perfect size phones for my preference.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 13th August 2020 at 17:53.
Old 13th August 2020, 18:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
8 inches, How do you manage to even hold such a big phone? You must be having really big hands like Dharmendra Even the ipad mini is 7.9 inches. I have a 6.3 inch phone and I really find it difficult to operate with one hand.
I don't currently have an 8 inch phone. My phone is 7.2 inches. ipads have a different form factor. An 8 inch phone would be much smaller than an 8 inch tablet.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th August 2020 at 10:22. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 13th August 2020, 19:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

With curved screen my previous doubts about large screens being cumbersome is no longer there, its comfy to hold large screens with curved sides. I`m now very comfortable with curved screens without any notch, a hole punch camera is fine on the screen.

With WFH I`m finding it good to have a large screen phone, can take presentations , webex, spreadsheets all at the same time. Same way can watch youtube and type on TBHP at the same time. Nothing new there but a larger screen is more suitable for all this.
Old 13th August 2020, 19:16   #24
BHPian

As a longtime fan of the Sony compact series, I'm torn between holding on to one of their older phones (they still work fine) or upgrading to a newer big-screen monstrosity. Unless your phone is your primary media consumption device, I've never really understood the appeal of large screens.

Sony seems to have abandoned the compact line (and the Indian market altogether). The only other somewhat compact phone line is Samsung's A4x series, which they don't sell in India :(.

Right now the only option for small-phone guys like me is the year-old Samsung S10e or the iPhone SE2. That's what passes for a small phone these days.
Old 13th August 2020, 19:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How things have changed. In the mid-90s and early 2000s, the smaller the phone, the more expensive it usually was. Bragging rights then were around how "compact" your phone is.
Well, you're in luck The Samsung Flip and Motorola Razr are getting better by the day. Their latest iteration has some good reviews as well.

I am living with a Samsung S10 now - it's size is almost perfect - not sure if I'll ever go for something bigger (no, brain, no - don't pre-order the Note 20 Ultra).
Old 13th August 2020, 19:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am surely a large phone person. My current device is a OnePlus 7T Pro with a 6.67-inch screen and I love how much content I can consume without the need to scroll multiple folds. With the current trend of extremely thin bezels, a large screen can still come inside a relatively pocket-friendly form factor. As a result, I don't really feel compromised regarding the pocket-ability of a larger mobile phone.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 09:28   #27
BHPian

I HATE the current trend of big phones. It is getting increasingly more difficult to buy a phone with all the features I want with a screen no bigger than 6 inches. For me, phones should be easy to use with one hand and easily pocketable. Perhaps after a few years when manufacturers realize the gap in the market, they will start making small flagship phones again.
ROG_AK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 09:47   #28
BHPian

In the recent phones that I have seen Iphone X is one of the better form factors iwht thin bezels. The maximum size I prefer in phones are that fit in the palm.

I like the flip form factor a lot. So I chose to make the Nokia Flip 2720 as my primary mobile while Iphone acts a as a backup. I actually miss the non touch days.
Old 14th August 2020, 10:06   #29
BHPian

The large size of screen nowadays are an ergonomically poor as per me. I prefer the 5.5inch phones.
I traded my previous Iphone 5S to a larger screen size phone (few years back) and have been regretting. The person who bought the Iphone 5S from me was already a 5S user and wanted the same size for single handed usage.
Unfortunately, phone companies have given up on small phones and all have just followed the trend.
Old 14th August 2020, 11:13   #30
BHPian

i was using an iphone 5 till 2016 and then switched to iphone 7. There is a not a single day that i don't lament the exchanging the iphone 5 to iphone 7. The size, ease of use in one hand and simple design with no camera humps / bumps were great. I do not like those big screen phones with more than 5.8 inches or so, but the market is slowly moving towards big screen phones due to "multimedia" consumption on Mobile phones. Don't know that in another 1-2 years when i have to change my phone, whether there will be any small screen phones to purchase to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks