Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you prefer: Android or iOS?
Android only 182 41.08%
iOS only 150 33.86%
Both are fine. I might pick up either of the two options. 111 25.06%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2020, 18:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Android vs iOS : Which do you prefer and why?

Android any day for me.

Have used iOS previously and even recently on & off. But the "new gen Androids" (especially the high end phones) are so smooth, fast and lag free, that there is no reason for me to live with the compromises iOS has to offer.

Androids are really flexible in terms of it's use & compatibility with a variety of other platforms. With iOS, there is the Apple ecosystem crap I do not want to be bothered with.

New top end Android phones have a much better camera than the latest iPhones (personal opinion) and also feel/look much more expensive.

Plus when I buy a phone with my money, I don't like the fact that the manufacturer dictates what I can and cannot do with my phone. So, no Apple for me anytime soon.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 18:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

I've been using iPhone since iPhone 4,5, 6+,7+,10 and now 11 pro max. I'm into photography and this serves me well. There're no freebies in iOS and you need to pay for almost everything. I don't mind and it's secure and stable and the UI is very smooth: may not be very spec heavy like some android devices but it's very smooth to operate and display is very good. I've a more than 8 year old iPad and is a visual treat to view photo's on it. To be fair I haven't used Android, I jumped from Symbian (Nokia) straight to iOS!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 9th August 2020 at 18:10.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 18:33   #18
Team-BHP Support

I like both. My personal phone is an iPhone 11 Pro and work phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10. The flagship Samsung has its frills and benefits, but for personal phone I like that solid and simple feel, and a camera that can take realistic pictures. My previous personal phone was a Google Pixel 2 XL, and that was the time when I was getting a bit bored with Apple (after iPhone 7). When it was time for a change I looked at the Pixel option again, but unfortunately my regular provider was not giving Google phone as an option this time around. But extremely happy with what Apple has done with the 11 pro – its after a while I felt really happy holding an iPhone. If I remember the last one which gave that same feel was the 5S. So from the look of it, I will be sticking with iPhone as the personal phone, unless Google comes up with something really different in the next iteration.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 18:59   #19
Team-BHP Support

Voted for Android only. Simple reason - I find iPhones insanely expensive.

The day when iPhone come down to reasonable pricing, I don't mind switching between both options. Also, I'll not be spending big money on the latest Android flagships as well.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy M30S bought last year for a paltry sum of 15k. Comes with a gigantic (and works in the real world) 6000 MAh battery, an excellent AMOLED screen, two above average cameras (Surely not flagship quality, especially the wide angle camera sensor!) and a very usable spec sheet - 6 GB RAM, 128 GB storage etc.

Over the last year of usage - haven't felt anything else needed in my smartphone.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th August 2020 at 19:00.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 19:01   #20
BHPian

Android but mainly because of the cost. Can't imagine paying 50k for something that goes obsolete in <5yrs let alone a lakh.

I do admire the smoothness of even a 3yr iphone though, don't think any android can come close to that. However at the same time it is amusing how it fails to do some very basic stuff that even a 10k android does.

Or may be it is smooth BECAUSE it doesn't support all random features.

So far very happy with my 15k moto g5s plus that I bought about 3 yrs back and I don't see any point in paying more than 30k for my next upgrade. Eyeing either the OnePlus Nord or the pixel 4a..
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 20:58   #21
BHPian

All of my phones for the last 9 years are Android and I do have an 8 year old iPad. I like iOS for the snappy and fluid performance. What iOS can do, it does in fast and smooth way but the capabilities of an iOS device is limited I feel. My 8 year old ipad is still fast. Android phones are good but I felt they get slower eventually with OS and app updates. I had to change the Android phones every 3 years. However I will still continue to use Android till a decent spec iPhone is available in the price range of 25k.
sreejithkk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 21:45   #22
BHPian

I use iOS for personal use and Android for official use. I have also used Windows phone extensively.
After the demise of Windows phone migrated to iOS for security reasons. When checked the firewall found that many calls are originating from Android to different IPs compared to iOS, hence settled for iOS.
Windows/iOS are smooth/fluid till it dies (which is a long time). My iPhone 4s (bought in 2011) is still in working condition which is currently being used as music player in car. Even windows phone is used by daughter to listen to music.
In short, for secure transactions use iOS and for tinkering like GPS logging, USB attachment etc use Android (cheaper as well as mod friendly)
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 22:24   #23
BHPian

iOS only.
I am using Apple products since late 2011 and never felt the need to move to Android. My mother uses an Android(Motorola) which is a decent budget option phone.

I have used couple of iPads since 2013 and bought one Micromax Funbook (2015) which was laggy, buggy and died in couple of months. Never looked back for Android, at least for 'Tabs'.

As per my limited Android usage - Android is for more configuration and iOS is for stable straightforward, secure usage.
Android can also be bought as per budget. Not much luck with iOS.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 22:25   #24
BHPian

Was a Windows Phone user, who switched for an year on to an iPhone and then to Android. Have been on Android ever since. My wife, on the other hand, has been an iPhone user ever since iPhone 3 and now has the iPhone 11 Pro.

iPhone is perfect for users of the Apple Ecosystem - iPhone, Mac, iPad, Air Buds Apple Watch - everything Apple. But that costs a lot of money. With an iPhone/IOS though, you simply have no options. There is one way to do each and every thing, thats it.

Android on the other hand does not have the same degree of seamless integration but can be obtained at a very low budget to an extremely pricey budget. You have too many options and complete flexibility.

I have a Google Pixel 3A, which has stock android and is a brilliant example of how Google can provide an optimized experience with a mediocre mid-range processor and limited memory. Everything is super fluid (specially in Android 9 and a tad little post Android 10). The camera is stunning (and the only time we reach out to the iPhone 11 Pro to take pics is wide-angle, which the Pixel 3A does not have). Note, that was for still pictures only, no one comes close even now, to the iPhones when it comes to videos.

I personally prefer to use not-so-expensive phones and rather switch them after a couple of years, than an expensive phone for longer. That lets you stay updated on the tech curve without burning a hole in your pocket. Apple is essentially the Sony of the 1990s and Android is the Samsung of the 2000s. Take your pick.

Last edited by sachinayak : 9th August 2020 at 22:27.
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 08:26   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am the sole Android user in a house full of iPhones and it's out of choice (not budget). I prefer Android's UI over iOS, and Google's ecosystem over Apple's. Among the many Google products I use are Gmail, contacts, calendar, drive (cloud backup), ad manager, adsense, analytics, docs + sheets etc.

I think a lot of opinions are outdated. Yes, 5 - 6 years back, Android was lagging behind iOS, but you have to experience the latest Android phones. The interface is simply awesome. Furthermore, even the concept of old Android phones slowing down is history. I'm now in the 3rd year with my S9 & the phone is quick, lag-free and bug-free. Just like when it was new.

Keeping the iPhone's price in mind, one must compare only premium / flagship Android phones to it. No point comparing a 25,000 rupee Android smartphone to a 70,000-rupee iPhone. Experience a top-of-the-line Android and you will be pleasantly surprised.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 08:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android vs iOS : Which do you prefer and why?

I have been on Android for more than 9 years now and it certainly has evolved a lot. The Oxygen version that I have been using on my Oneplus phones is quite good and stable. In the past 5 years I was using Oneplusx - 2 years, then Oneplus 3t - 2 years and now Oneplus 6t for a year now. These phones have performed well for me and none of them slowed down over the years and even now my old One plus 3t also is as fast as ever.
The android ecosystem is now very fast and adaptive and flexible.
Incidentally I am now trying to change my wife over from Iphone 8 to OnePlus Nord (which we got yesterday!). Lets see how long it takes her to change over to Android now, after being an Iphone user for more than 5 years now.
The Oneplus Nord (got the Grey Onyx version with 12Gb ram + 256GB storage) looks quite good and is smooth.

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th August 2020 at 08:49.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 08:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

I was using Blackberry ( yes , long long ago ) and I am still longing for that super easy experience. Anyways , I will not go off topic. For me , I unfortunately have not had the experience of using an Android device and has always been the iPhone (Since the 3GS times. Then had the 6 and then the iPhone 7 and now an XR). The only person who is a huge android fan at home is my 16 year old son. The recent TV I purchased is an Android TV. And my son had to keep telling me how beautiful Android is every time we operate the TV. Will that change me to an Android User in the near future ? I do not know yet. But for now , I am very happy with my iOS XR. These days , I do feel that iOS means I am restricted into everything Apple, unlike my son who seamlessly switches between his Samsung Tab, his OnePlus phone and the TV and how easily he casts what ever he wants onto the television. That is not so easy on my iPhone though.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 08:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Voted Both are fine. I might pick up either of the two options - Ideally have one Android and one iPhone for work and personal use.

I've used Android Phones since 2013 and moved to an iPhone in 2017. Moved back to Android in 2020 with a Pixel 3a. True that Android Phones took a while to catch up with iPhones, but they are neck and neck today with the OS being the only differentiator.

Advantage Android:
  • Endless flexibility & customizability (if you're into that)
  • Wide variety of cheap phones
  • Amazing integration into google apps & services (matters a lot to me)
  • Improving security updates to non-google phones
  • Generally better batteries

Advantage iOS:
  • The phones generally last longer (was a big advantage before)
  • Great if you have the whole ecosystem (MacBook + apple TV + iPad + iWatch)
  • Privacy is taken seriously - lesser (relevant) ads compared to Android
  • Better cell coverage - I find iPhone antennas superior
  • Easy repairs in the US. Try getting OnePlus/Moto/Nokia repaired in the US

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 10th August 2020 at 08:59.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 09:18   #29
KPR
BANNED

1. Download 320 kbps songs and add to pendrive using a OTG pin and enjoy my drive (very good stock non touchscreen system I've)?
2. Cast my phone itself (not just Youtube) to Fire TV?
3. Change Ringtone?
4. Certain important apps that I cannot manage without?
5. Finally, save a good amount of money to buy a Honda Navi?
So Android it is for me.

For me an android is like GF. Be carefree.
iOS is like a marriage. Live with it for long and fulfill long route protocols.

Last edited by KPR : 10th August 2020 at 09:20.
KPR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 09:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted iOS for these main reasons; iPhones last long and aren't as buggy (Still got my 4S and 5S in perfect order). They feel premium and are smooth to use. (Here, I'd also like to add that my older 7Plus has been laggy for the past two weeks - for the first time, but it's kinda recovered now, after several restarts). My sister's age-old 5S fetched her Rs. 13,500 when she moved to another iPhone (so it holds its value). Bluetooth doesn't drain battery that fast when I pair it with my Apple Watch. The interface and its intuitive nature is just brilliant

Last edited by Sebring : 10th August 2020 at 10:06.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks