Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2020, 12:20   #31

Re: Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-whatsapp-image-20200729-12.06.40-pm.jpeg

This was my dad's old Nokia E71 which was then passed on to me as my first mobile phone and till now I have kept it in pristine condition. Not going to throw it anywhere as my emotions are still connected with it.
TwinTurbo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 12:33   #32
BHPian

*Mods - I don't know why my reply got posted twice. Apologies for the same, kindly delete the older post.

Below is my journey with mobile phones and I have tried to remember every one. Thanks for starting this thread, really opened my eyes on the ridiculous amount of money I have spent on changing phones every year.

* 2007 - Sony Ericsson K700i - whopping 41 mb internal storage, hand me down phone from dad
* 2008 - Nokia 5300 Xpress Music (Black Edition)- the most favorite phone of mine. First brand new phone
* 2010 - Nokia 5230 - First TFT resistive touchscreen phone with the Kuchi ! (Stylus)
* 2011 - Samsung Galaxy Ace - whopping 300+ mb memory.
* 2012 - Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V - loved the color combination on this phone.
* 2013 - Nokia Lumia 520 - I really loved the windows experience, first capacitive touchscreen phone.
* 2013 - Blackberry Curve 9220 - hand me down from dad. Just to experience what all that BBM and Qwerty hype was all about.
* 2014 - Moto X - The first generation Moto X, it was a beast and the best phone that I owned for the longest time as well ~ 2years. Amazing camera & the costliest also at 24k.
* 2016 - Intex Aqua - My Moto X died due to moisture ingress on the chip circuit. Stupid idea of buying an Intex as a replacement, did not have a lot of money to spend on a new phone. Worst phone ever, died the very next day and got an replacement still had problems and hence had to buy another phone.
* 2016 - Lenovo K4 note - Amazing phone and my only smartphone that was dropped and had a cracked screen.
* 2017 - Xiaomi Redmi 4 - I found the Lenovo too big for my liking, experimented with Xiaomi for the first time. The last of the small 5 inch screen smartphone.
* 2018 - Nokia 6.1 Plus - Bought it just because Nokia was back annd sad to say it had tons of bugs. Stopped charging in 8 months. Second shortest ownership after the Intex.
* 2019 - Xiaomi Poco F1 - Never really cared for flagship phones owing to the cost, but this was a flagship killer and I got through a deal on Flipkart for a ridiculous 14k. Most glitch free and abuse friendly phone ever.
* 2020 - Xiaomi Poco X2 - The 1 year itch was back and replaced the F1 after 15 months of use. Current phone and quite enough for my usage.

Coming to the main question: I really enjoyed my older non-smart phones. The current generation phones are just bigger and bigger and more of a liability. The buying experience also used to be so satisfying back then, trying to locate the one piece you want, checking out all the phones on display. Till date my best experience remains my first phone the Nokia 5300 Xpress music, probably why I still have it with me.

Last edited by Shanksta : 29th July 2020 at 12:45.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 12:45   #33
BHPian

My non-smart phones were:

Alcatel OT 320. My companion in college and lasted me from 2001 to 2005.
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-20200729_122700.jpg

Nokia 3220. Had cool lights around, from 2005 to 2006.
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-screenshot_20200729123416_google.jpg

Moto Razr V2, from 2006 to 2007
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-screenshot_20200729123512_google.jpg

Nokia N91 - 8GB, 2007-2009
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-screenshot_20200729123544_google.jpg

O2 - Atom 2009-2010. A windows based device.
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-screenshot_20200729124141_google.jpg

After this, it was all smart and androids/ios.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 12:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Friends, please share memories of mobile phones (non-smart ones and non i-phones only) owned by you during the yesteryears.
Not exactly a mobile phone, but here's a picture of a GPO Bakelite rotary dial phone (from 1939) that I use as my landline at home here in London! Has a pulse to tone conversation, so works on all modern phone networks!

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20200728_102100.jpg

Cheers,
Praveen
51morris is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 12:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
Attachment 2035921

This was my dad's old Nokia E71 which was then passed on to me as my first mobile phone and till now I have kept it in pristine condition. Not going to throw it anywhere as my emotions are still connected with it.
I had one of these and it was a brilliant phone! Used it for many years and it withstood a lot of drops and bumps. Preserve the phone you have forever!!
51morris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 13:06   #36
BHPian

Here is the long list of cellular phones I have used:-

Samsung SGH-600
Nokia 8210
Nokia 8250
Nokia 6310
Nokia E65
Motorola RAZR V3i
Apple iPhone 3GS
Apple iPhone 4s
Apple iPhone 5s
OnePlus 2
Apple iPhone 7
OnePlus 7T Pro (used for few days. didn't like it. sold it)
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ (used for couple of days. didn't get used to Samsung hence sold it)
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro (using as secondary phone)
Apple iPhone XS Max (back to square 1 and happy)

That's all folks!!
embee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 13:59   #37
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Here is my complete list

1. Motorola C336 : My first phone while pursuing masters back in 2005. Money was tight and this was a gift. A really unreliable piece if there was one, the mic conked off in about 3 months of usage.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-motc336_00.jpg

2. Nokia 1100 : My second phone, still in my masters and again a gift. Literally INDESTRUCTABLE. I dropped it accidentally from the first floor of my hostel room. Exploded on impact like a coconut. Just walked down, reassembled the pieces and it worked just fine !

Name:  no1100.gif
Views: 1116
Size:  7.8 KB

3. Nokia 5610 Music Express: My first purchase. Was expensive around INR 13K and did the job but the basic symbian S40 OS was a kill joy. Worked ok for listening to music with a basic 2 MP digital camera.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-nokia5611xpressmusic.jpg

4. HTC Touch : Brilliant phone with windows 6 OS. Though Resistive touch, Leagues ahead of other touch phones at that point in time. Costly at around 15K but worth every penny. I started reading ebooks and used to browse internet on a 3 G / Edge network.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-81mpygxagll._ac_sy550_.jpg

5. HP Palm Pixi : Bought it off eBay USA from India for about 5 K. Took a month to come home and had a palm OS and the phone was surprisingly nifty and well spec'ed. Touch + Type functionality was super as well. Again took a lot of abuse and lasted a good 2 years. Was still going strong when I gifted it to my brother as he needed a spare phone for a secondary SIM.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-palm_pixi_plus__6834.jpg

5. Nexus 4 : Used it for about 3 months or so before the screen cracked and was super expensive to replace.

Name:  64201330335PM_635_lg_nexus_4.png
Views: 1127
Size:  142.8 KB

6. iPhone 4S : Expensive but handy. Was built sturdily and my first office phone. used it four about 2 years.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-appleiphone4s600x600.jpg

7. Lumia 825 : More of a loaner phone but absolutely SUCKED. The windows interface is really irritating.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-lumia-825.jpg

8. Lenovo K3 Note : Budget phone with a good camera, which worked OK but sluggish due to the software. Still works and is doing the duties of a spare phone / cheap internet browser at home.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-download.jpg

9. iPhone 6S : Larger screen iPhone. It performed as expected and again was an office phone.

Name:  refurbishediphone6sspacegray_600x600_BGresize_16185078tj.png
Views: 1093
Size:  54.6 KB

10. Samsung Guru 2 : Brilliant Phone for about 2K INR. I needed a cheap personal phone just for SMS / Phone calls inaddition to the iPhone 6S. I started using this as a portable music player during exercise / walks.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-samsunggurumusic2naoriginalimae89kexh8d8ygg.jpeg

11. One Plus 5 T : Awesome. Brilliant. Couldn't ask anything more from a phone really. Rugged build, fast performance. Again an office phone after my iPhone 6S.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-41bakhd6jwl._ac_.jpg

12. Apple iPhone 11 : My current phone. Expensive but hey its again an office phone. The dual sim (one of it is an e-sim), meant I dont need a cheaper personal phone.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-51o5rmqtrol._sx466_.jpg

Last edited by charanreddy : 29th July 2020 at 14:04.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 14:18   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I only have a few of my old phones left. Not sure what happened with all the other ones? But I rummaged through a few shoe boxes in my loft and this is what I came up with:
Sir that picture made me pretty nostalgic! Evidently you seem to have had an affection for Ericsson/SonyEricsson, like I did, till they folded! I can see the venerable T610 in it! Fantastic phone that one (albeit with a subpar battery life).

I started with a Sony Ericsson T230i, followed it with a T630 (the successor of the 610 in your collection). Finally moved to the fantastic K750i with auto-focus, flash, Memory Stick & a mechanical sliding lens cover. Still have it & use it occasionally as a back-up phone. I kept using it for eternity till finally moving on to a smart phone around 2013. All these are in storage at my parents' place right now. Will try to get a picture of them soon.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 14:27   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Evidently you seem to have had an affection for Ericsson/SonyEricsson, like I did, till they folded! I can see the venerable T610 in it! Fantastic phone that one (albeit with a subpar battery life).
Well I was and still am working for Ericsson. I can honestly say I have never ever in my entire life bought my own mobile device. They are all company provided.

We have an old Dutch proverb: Die appelen vaart, die Appelen eet.

Which translates roughly into: Whose apples you transport, are the apples you eat!

So I did not have much choice. Having said that, in those days Ericsson and later Sony Ericsson made some pretty cool phones. So it wasn’t exactly a hardship!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 15:02   #40
BHPian

Interesting thread.

Wait till you guys see my actual first phone below. This N-Gage wasn't a dumbphone back then since it ran s60. Was advanced for its time for having an MP3 player, really loud speakers, FM radio and I think it has line-in audio too. Still works well even after a decade plus (give or take). Only challenge is finding good batteries and chargers. Old Nokias were sure built well. Made in Finland with love. I still game on it occasionally. It actually has quality games. CMR (Cplin McRae- I think it was a PS1 port) on the N-Gage is really really good. This old game can teach newer games like Asphalt a lesson in car physics and handling. Love this phone to bits and that's why I haven't sold this one.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20180110_235021.jpg

Been through a lot of phones in the meanwhile:
  1. Nokia 3230 (rubbish performance, usability and sound quality, though it was well built),
  2. SE K750i (great phone, bad FastPort connector),
  3. SE W300i (solid phone, but had a turd screen and bad bundled earphones),
  4. Nokia 5300 (great sound quality and funky styling),
  5. Nokia 5320 (one of my all time faves. Great sound, battery, build, gaming experience. Used it for a really long time),
  6. SE W8 (first android, was slow, upgraded in a year),
  7. LG Optimus 4X (screen and styling were the only good things about it),
  8. Blackberry Z10 (another personal favorite. Every inch a premium, well designed phone inside out. I will still state that BB10 was a much, much better OS than Android or iOS. Pity that the app developers didn't share my opinion. WhatsApp withdrawing support made me switch),
  9. Redmi Note 3 (one of Xiaomi's greats. Still using as a backup phone running Lineage OS quite smoothly)
  10. Redmi Note 4 (nice, reliable phone, ran well, gave away to a family member)

Current daily driver for the past 2 years: LG V20 B&O. Love it for the solid build, removable metal back, user replaceable battery, excellent sound through wired earphones, 1440p LCD screen, tough build, good cam (esp in manual mode) and tough build. Only areas that I'm not happy with are the battery life, screen ghosting (goes away after I switch on a bluelight filter) and slow UI (I feel that my Redmi Note 3 with the custom OS performs better than this).

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20180729_080640.jpg

Am not a camera guy as my phone choices might have shown. Might upgrade to a OnePlus 7T, retire the Redmi Note 3 if I get a good price for it and use the V20 as a backup phone for music.
evilmessiah is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 15:02   #41
BHPian

Since the thread is about older non - smart non iPhones, I will restrict myself to only those.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-1081pxnokia_3310_blue.jpg

This Nokia was my first phone. It was a pre owned phone gifted to me by my uncle when I was in 1st year of college. It had some problem so it will turn off every time a call is connected. Managed to use it for about a year and then returned it.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-sonyericssont10501.jpeg
The Sony Ericsson T105i

I bought this from a second hand mobile shop for about Rs.1000 IIRC. I was warned by the shop owner that it's signal reception isn't great, but I bought it anyways because it looked beautiful. It served me well all through my MBBS till I joined for internship. One thousand rupees well spent and I became a Sony Ericsson fan.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-54c1835fb1d04f4cc59934c6653abb15.jpeg
The Sony Ericsson w580i.

This was the first new phone I had, and I bought it with my own hard earned money. True to it's Walkman lineage, it was all about music. It came with in ear type soft headphones, and an accessory speaker. The slider was a beauty, and the display and camera was very good in that era. Used it for about 2 years. I had to ditch it after it got damaged due to a fall.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-samsungs5380wavey.jpg
Samsung wave Y

Honestly, this is one phone I didn't like much from the beginning. Android phones had started coming already and I did the mistake of buying one with the stupid BADA OS of Samsung. Even though I often regretted buying it I held on to it for long because it did it's primary job very well. Finally ditched it sometime in 2014 when Asus Zenfone 5 was released. Since then it has been all Androids only. Currently I have a OnePlus 7 and I am hoping to keep it for long.
PS. All images have been downloaded from Google
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 15:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Having said that, in those days Ericsson and later Sony Ericsson made some pretty cool phones.
Agreed. Ericsson and subsequently Sony Ericsson made some really nice phones that were quirky, innovative and had tons of personality. Though I love how tech is improving, sometimes I miss the quirkiness of the older phones.
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 15:49   #43
BHPian

Man, this thread brought out a lot of memories for me!

1. Nokia 2300. My first ever phone was a hand me down from Mom.
2. Sony Ericsson W200i. The walkman series was all the rage at that time. Also that Hrithik Roshan ad was slick. Never felt the thump though
3. Sony Ericsson W595. This was a hand me down from Dad as he moved to a BB Curve. Slick UI and that cool slider action, which still works till date.
4. BB Curve 9300. Yes, another hand me down, but who would refuse a BB at that time. BB Messenger was everything.
5. Sony Xperia Tipo. My first taste of Android. All my friends were buying the Galaxy Y, but this was a much better device with 4.0 ICS and 512MB RAM.Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-tbhp-old-mobile.jpg
aarnav_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 15:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

I resisted the Android and Iphone bandwagon for a long time and jumped ship only in 2017. So I have a collection of seemingly dumb phones which I thought were smarter than Android and Iphone. Here is my tribute.

LG KG200 - First phone my father bought me during my graduation. The only dumb phone in my collection. It did not even have the ability to install other applications.

Nokia E71 - Upgrade during the graduation days. I still don't know how I convinced my father to spend 15k for this phone in 2009 while he was using a basic phone. So this one is the most special phone in my collection. Served me through first few years of my job as well.

Nokia E7 - Upgraded somewhere in 2012. Touchscreen and slider keyboard made me feel phones will not get any better than this.

Nokia N900 - Bought used from Ebay for being the cool linux phone. Served me till half of my post graduation.

Blackberry Z10 - Bought used from ebay when I found the N900 slower for even the basic browsing tasks. Super fluid UI , but was killed by Apple and Google's financial muscle.

Intex Aquafish - One last try to resist the Android and Iphone pressure. Powered by sailfish, this one inherited the superb multitasking abilities of the yesteryear Nokia software. Android app support helped me cover the lack of apps for some time.

Eventually joined the Android bandwagon and settled for the Samsung Note series.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-20200729_150941.jpg  

Last edited by padmrajravi : 29th July 2020 at 15:52.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 15:51   #45
BHPian

The Nokia 5130 Xpressmusic was my first phone, got it when I was in high school. All phones after this have been smartphones.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-5130.jpeg  

Yakuza is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks