Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 16:19   #196
BHPian

Re: The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice

Hi fellow Tbhpians, I am looking to buy a drone for my travels but utterly confused with ever changing rules and availability due to the same.
My drone requirement is purely to capture some aerial views during my drives, that I often do across the country.

What will the fellow enthusiasts recommend. Which category, model that has no hassles with law. I keep rading about the 10mtr or 50ft flying celing but also about how that can be changed.
Any advise will be welcome.
Old 15th February 2022, 19:15   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Is it gone now - I cant see the listing...

Do you have a link by any chance?
Just got a notification for my Keepa alert that a deal for the Mavic Mini is about to start at midnight tonight.

And I got my Fly More combo - batteries are a chargin'!
Old 15th February 2022, 23:10   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Just got a notification for my Keepa alert that a deal for the Mavic Mini is about to start at midnight tonight.

And I got my Fly More combo - batteries are a chargin'!
Whats a Keepa? (Edit: found it)

All the best with your flying, pilot!
I almost made an impulse buy of the Mini 2 today, but then backed off at the last minute. I have barely gotten out in the last 2 years, so I'm not sure I need one yet

Last edited by Transmission : 15th February 2022 at 23:26.
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 23:48   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats a Keepa? (Edit: found it)

All the best with your flying, pilot!
I almost made an impulse buy of the Mini 2 today, but then backed off at the last minute. I have barely gotten out in the last 2 years, so I'm not sure I need one yet
Thanks mate!

I was toying with the idea of Mini 2, but decided to stick with Mini considering I'll be paying ₹48k - that too offer price - for a $388 drone, thanks to wonderful thoughtfulness of DGFT/ DGCA/ FLUGA (Four-Lettered-Useless-Govt-Agencies!). Didn't want to pour aviation fuel in that thought by paying ₹80k for the Mini 2's fly more combo when it is available for $579.

Whenever the FLUGAs find their senses back, will pick an upgrade from the US - no hopes of that happening anytime soon though!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 15th February 2022 at 23:50.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 03:11   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post

Conclusion, I think you can safely bring back large-ish drones from abroad. Just keep those batteries separate from the package in your backpack. All the while I was in the room they didn't say anything about the drone. I did skip a heart beat or two initially. It was so close.
I wouldn’t be so sure. Maybe the compact folded drone without propellers didn’t catch their attention. You were probably just lucky.
Old 16th February 2022, 09:38   #201
BHPian

I finally took the bait and got the lightning deal on dji mavic mini at 48k yesterday night from Amazon. Awaiting delivery today.

Quick question now, is registering the drone on the dgca website mandatory. Any other things to keep in mind.
Old 16th February 2022, 10:53   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I finally took the bait and got the lightning deal on dji mavic mini at 48k yesterday night from Amazon. Awaiting delivery today.

Quick question now, is registering the drone on the dgca website mandatory. Any other things to keep in mind.
I have forgotten the rules, but IIRC, yes you are better off (although I think as a nano drone you dont have to)

Please be aware that flying above 50ft (from where - point of launch? god knows) is technically illegal for nano drones. And so is not checking the Digital Sky website map each time before you take off.

Stay safe - you and your drone, and have fun!
Old 22nd February 2022, 21:35   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Like I mentioned, these bans come with their own exemptions and privileges for selected citizens of the country, such as:
Name:  376E27555D684AE09D6B50F1929BF767.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  86.0 KB

Quote:

Please be aware that flying above 50ft (from where - point of launch? god knows) is technically illegal for nano drones. And so is not checking the Digital Sky website map each time before you take off.
!
The DJI firmware itself takes care of this and doesn't let the height cross 15m.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 21:53   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Like I mentioned, these bans come with their own exemptions and privileges for selected citizens of the country, such as:
Attachment 2276239

The DJI firmware itself takes care of this and doesn't let the height cross 15m.
You have the Litchi app that doesnt have the height limit AFAIK if youre willing to shell out another 2k. Looks to be pretty polished now going by youtube reviews. Even gets certain fancy features like tracking mode that the default DJI app doesnt have (for the Mini 2, for example)

Seriously, the 50ft rule is idiotic. Its more diotic because progressively heavier drones are allowed to travel higher - the exact opposite of what one should do for safety.

But then again when was this country known for its sensible rules...
Old 24th February 2022, 19:18   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have the Litchi app that doesnt have the height limit AFAIK if youre willing to shell out another 2k. Looks to be pretty polished now going by Youtube reviews. Even gets certain fancy features like tracking mode that the default DJI app doesnt have (for the Mini 2, for example)
Does you or anyone have experience using the app? If it is reliable and works well in India, then I feel the 2k spent is worth it. Especially if it removes the height restriction. If anyone has been using it please share your experience.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 26th February 2022, 17:32   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Does you or anyone have experience using the app? If it is reliable and works well in India, then I feel the 2k spent is worth it. Especially if it removes the height restriction. If anyone has been using it please share your experience.

Thanks a lot in advance.
No, I don't have experience with the Litchi app yet.

But do you have a Mini or Mini 2?

For Mini there are official app (ovd versions) available that dont have the height restriction. Mini 2 is a newer model that was released (IIRC) after the height limits came into place and therefore has no official app that supports it that doesnt come with the height restriction.
Old 27th February 2022, 15:21   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, I don't have experience with the Litchi app yet.

But do you have a Mini or Mini 2?
I have a Mini. I bit the bullet and brought the Litchi App on the Apple store. My other plan was to purchase a hack from drone hacks but that needed a firmware roll back. At 2200 rupees, the Litchi app felt like a better option especially since it works on DJI api and doesn't require any firmware downgrade. Flew the Mavic mini around my native village and it now breaches the 15m barrier without any issue and it totally changed the perspective of shooting compared to before. I didn't explore all the features of the app since I was more concerned towards the reliability part and the height restriction. Happy to say that it was paisa vasool

Need to still get used to the UI of the App and it's bonus features like tracking or follow. But the biggest blocker with height restriction is now gone
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:27   #208
Team-BHP Support

Got myself a used Mavic Mini with the Flymore pack off FB Marketplace. With 0 experience, I’ve been spending time reading up and watching Youtube tutorial videos. Looking forward to using it on an upcoming trip.

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-0296750d578c4d9da65fb213933a9dad.jpeg
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:13   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Got myself a used Mavic Mini with the Flymore pack off FB Marketplace. With 0 experience, I’ve been spending time reading up and watching Youtube tutorial videos. Looking forward to using it on an upcoming trip.

Attachment 2287131
Awesome!

Look forward to some clips - do share Benny.

How’s Australia placed with respect to these governmental restrictions on flying drones?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:50   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Awesome!

Look forward to some clips - do share Benny.

How’s Australia placed with respect to these governmental restrictions on flying drones?
Thanks Gannu. Shall surely share videos/pics, ofcourse depending on how they turn out.

In Australia you need to register the drone if being used for commercial purposes, but not for sport or recreation. Needless to say there are rules that apply on where they can be flown and used.

This link has details:
https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyourdrone/drone-rules
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks