Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2024, 09:51   #10546
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Is there a non smart television that I can buy and use it after plugging in my Firestick? Or are all televisions available today the "smart" ones?
Old 13th September 2024, 10:21   #10547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Can I go for 65" TV size with 10 feet viewing distance in living room? 55" size seems to be apt as per the online recommendation charts, but do not want to regret later that I should have gone for a bigger size. Also do not know if the size recommendations hold good with the newer versions of display panels like OLED.
We have a 65 incher sony with 12ish distance and it works well. My in-laws have 75 size, also sony, with a similar distance and they are happy with it. My parents on the other hand have a 55 inch with a 20 foot distance and surprisingly it works just fine. Basically, what will happen is you'll get used to the TV and the device will be the infra and content will make you watch, or ignore it. Personally, if the distance is not much, smaller will allow better viewing angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_nfs View Post
I am looking to buy a 55 inch TV for my bedroom. Shortlisted the Sony X82L and the Sony Bravia 3, looking for help / suggestions on the below -
1. Any feedback on these TVs, which is better?
Thanks
We are very happy with Bravia from 2 years ago - 65 inch size. However I looked up and it looks like the X82L has a newer chip optimised for 4k content. You may want to give it a good look. Personally, am happy not buying the latest tech but I can be a contrarian at times. In general its better to buy the newer version.
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 11:00   #10548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Is there a non smart television that I can buy and use it after plugging in my Firestick? Or are all televisions available today the "smart" ones?
It will be difficult to find a "Non smart" TV today. The reason is that most of the functions are integrated into a couple of IC's on the motherboard. So it is not economically viable to design another set of IC's for non smart TV (every one wants a smart TV and there very few who would like a non smart TV). This is similar to the case of many car models especially higher torque ones coming only with "automatic gearbox", as there are very few takers for "manual gearbox" versions (Ford Endeavour 3.2L comes to my mind).
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 09:40   #10549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I am using Mi LED TV 55 inches for the past almost 5 years. Recently i noticed a minor flickering on the left side of the TV. It is very subtle but once seen, cannot be unseen. Created a ticket and the technician came within 2 hours!

As per his diagnosis, the panel is gone. He said the panel needs to be replaced. I bought the TV for back in Dec 2019 for 32K. Now the new panel itself costs 30K. So didn't go ahead with the change. He said the TV might have been damaged since there was no stabilizer. I somehow don't find this convincing. Anyway, he also mentioned that the panel will degrade slowly and flickering will become more prominent and might cover the enter panel.

So now i am compelled to look for newer options. How are brands like TCL, Hisence etc? I am looking at QLED now and these brands have relatively affordable TVs in the 65 inches size. For eg. TCL C61B QLED, Toshiba M650Mp mini led, Hisense Q7n QLED, Hisense U7k mini led. There is also Oneplus TV at about 79K. How are the reviews on these? Is it a good option to invest in these ones?
So the Mi technician called today and asked if i want to get bonding done to get rid of the flickering. He said this is not via Mi but independently. He mentioned 8K for the same. Not sure if i want to invest in it. I read some posts where one person has done bonding and it fixed the issue but at 8K, i am not really sure. Will check if there is any chance to reduce the cost. Anything around 5K would be more palatable for me.
Old 4th October 2024, 13:44   #10550
PPS
Senior - BHPian

My in-laws purchased a Panasonic MX series 55 inch Ultra HD google tv for 46k from Vijay Sales last week.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2024, 13:17   #10551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
My in-laws purchased a Panasonic MX series 55 inch Ultra HD google tv for 46k from Vijay Sales last week.
That is way too much for a 55 inch, I got mine UHD Samsung for 36K. Any particular reason for opting Panasonic. I have had horror experience with Panasonic after sales. Had to replace screen 3 times in a year that failed in a gap of four months after replacement. Never ever touching that brand again ever!
Old 5th October 2024, 15:01   #10552
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
That is way too much for a 55 inch, I got mine UHD Samsung for 36K. Any particular reason for opting Panasonic. I have had horror experience with Panasonic after sales. Had to replace screen 3 times in a year that failed in a gap of four months after replacement. Never ever touching that brand again ever!
I suggested VU & other brands like Hisense but I guess they liked the Panasonic one.
Old 8th October 2024, 20:51   #10553
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to buy a 55 inch TV for my bedroom. Shortlisted the Sony X82L and the Sony Bravia 3, looking for help / suggestions on the below -
1. Any feedback on these TVs, which is better?
2. The prices are around 72k post discounts, is that a good price or can I expect it to go down further during Diwali sales?

The X82L seems to be only available online.

Thanks
Sharing an update - Finally picked up the 55 inch Sony X90L this weekend. Got a really sweet deal as part of the current festival sales.

Thanks
Old 9th October 2024, 21:48   #10554
BHPian

Quote:
Finally picked up the 55 inch Sony X90L this weekend. Got a really sweet deal as part of the current festival sales.
Do you mind sharing the deal, and whether it was online or offline?

I too was looking to pick the X90L a couple of months back. I was getting it for ~ 1.02L after card discounts.

Finally, ended up getting the LG A3 OLED for ~ 70k during the prime day sale.
Old 9th October 2024, 23:01   #10555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Do you mind sharing the deal, and whether it was online or offline?

I too was looking to pick the X90L a couple of months back. I was getting it for ~ 1.02L after card discounts.

Finally, ended up getting the LG A3 OLED for ~ 70k during the prime day sale.
This is through offline stores, was offered 89500 at Vijay Sales and ~87k by Great Eastern Retail. Bought it from the latter, includes EMI and card cash backs.
rag_nfs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2024, 19:08   #10556

Seeking Advice: Samsung Refusing to Replace or Refund Damaged TV Despite Video Proof

Greetings of the day!

I hope you all are doing well. I have been an active reader on this forum since 2013. I respect the views of all members and very much value the exquisite insights available on this forum on multitude of topics.

Unfortunately, not for good reasons but I am in dire need of suggestions and it is my firm belief that this will act as a reference to many other people.

I find myself in a frustrating situation and am looking for advice, particularly on potential legal actions or consumer rights remedies. My case involves a damaged product – a Samsung 4K UHD Smart TV – that I purchased directly through Samsung’s official shopping platform. Despite having indisputable video proof showing the TV was delivered in a damaged condition, Samsung has outright refused to replace the product or issue a refund. Here’s the full breakdown of what has transpired:

Product and Purchase Details:

I am currently a student and eligible for Samsung’s student discounts. On June 7th, 2024, after getting bombarded by calls from Samsung’s sales team, I decided to place an order for the Samsung 1.38 m DUE76 Crystal 4K UHD Smart TV (55DUE76AK) through their shopping app. The product’s serial number is 0AX03PAX400324, and the order ID is 33352112405. Despite my original plan to purchase the TV later in June, I preponed the order due to persistent calls from Samsung’s sales advisors.

The TV was delivered to my home on June 11th, 2024. However, since my TV unit was still under construction, I chose to delay installation and initially rescheduled the service via the app to June 12th, followed by a further rescheduling to June 16th on call, based on advice from Samsung’s installation team.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20240615-21.32.40-3.jpeg
Picture - This is exactly where it was stored after delivery. Occupying a single full bed with cushions placed beneath. This shows how much it was cared for

Samsung's Policies:
The three key policies that Samsung claims justify their denial are as follows:

1. The TV must be installed within three days of delivery.

2. The unboxing must be done only by Samsung personnel for the customer to qualify for replacement or refund.

3. Any damages or issues must be reported within three days of delivery.

My reasons:

1. Samsung’s installation technician did not inform me about the first or third terms and conditions when I requested to reschedule the installation beyond the 3-day period. I should have been warned. I postponed the installation because of an unforeseen delay in completion of my TV unit. If they would have, I would have got it installed on a table for the moment. If the sales guy told me the same, I would not have bought the TV in the first place.

2. I decided to open the box myself because I realized, that I have only till third day to report damaged/incorrect product. By the time I realized this, it was already past business hours on the 3rd day, and I wanted to ensure the TV wasn’t damaged. I couldn't get Samsung’s approval as it was already past 9 p.m., and their customer support was closed for the day.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20240615-21.32.41-2-1.jpeg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20240615-21.32.41-1-1.jpeg

3. Regarding the second term, while I did unbox the product, I have a solid reason (stated above) for doing so. Additionally, I have full unboxing video in excellent quality, which clearly shows the TV came out of the box itself in a damaged condition.

4. The damage to the box is clearly visible in the pictures, and even Samsung’s technician acknowledged that it was pinched as can be seen below.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20241004-07.36.52.jpeg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20241004-07.36.50.jpeg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20241004-07.36.50-1.jpeg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20241004-07.36.49.jpeg

5. Me opening the box, does not in any way absolve Samsung from honoring my consumer rights. I deserved to get a defect/damage free product against my order and payment.

Bottom line:

At no point during the various sales calls and the calls which I received from installation personnel was I advised by any Samsung personnel verbally that:

1. The TV must be installed within three days of delivery.

2. The unboxing must be done only by Samsung personnel for the customer to qualify for replacement or refund.

3. Any damages or issues must be reported within three days of delivery.

If the sales guy told me the same, I would not have bought the TV in the first place. If the installation guy had informed me, I would have gotten the TV installed anyhow. They basically cornered me to buy the TV and are now refraining from providing any support.

Additionally, as a customer, I believed the procedure would be similar to the unboxing of mobile phones, which requires immediate inspection and reporting. My bad. I understand.

Samsung’s Response and Denial:

Upon discovering the damage, I immediately repacked the TV and initiated a replacement request through the Samsung Shop app. This request was swiftly denied by the customer service team, citing their policy that only Samsung installation personnel are permitted to unbox televisions. They argued that by unboxing the product myself, I violated their terms, thus forfeiting my right to a replacement.

I understand that policies are in place to protect both the customer and the company, but I was completely unaware of this specific requirement.

Supporting Evidence:

I have complete video footage showing the unboxing of the TV and proving that it was in a damaged condition upon being removed from the packaging. The damage was clearly visible right after the top protective layer was taken off, and no accessories or internal components were tampered with. This video demonstrates beyond doubt that the damage occurred either before or during delivery, and not as a result of any actions from my side.

In addition to this, photographs of the packaging reveal that the box itself was mishandled, appearing pinched and misaligned in certain areas. A Samsung technician who visited on June 22nd confirmed the box's abnormal condition, which was documented with further images. (Images above)

Current Situation:

Despite all the evidence I provided – video proof of the damage during unboxing, photographs of the misaligned packaging, and testimony from their own technician – Samsung has categorically refused to replace the TV or issue a refund. Their refusal is based solely on the fact that I opened the box myself, completely disregarding the video evidence that proves the TV was damaged before I even touched it.

As a student, I spent ₹37,000 on this purchase, which is a significant amount of money for me. I have always trusted Samsung products and have recommended them to my family and friends. However, this experience has severely tested my patience and faith in the brand.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20241004-07.36.51.jpeg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20241004-07.36.51-2.jpeg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-whatsapp-image-20241004-07.36.51-1.jpeg

Next Steps and Legal Considerations:

I have been left with no option but to consider legal action. I am seriously contemplating filing a complaint in consumer court, as I believe Samsung has unfairly denied my legitimate claim. My rights as a consumer have been disregarded, and it feels as though Samsung is hiding behind policies that were not clearly communicated at the time of purchase. I understand that taking this to court will involve legal expenses, but I am prepared to pursue it if necessary.

Questions for the forum members:

1. Has anyone had a similar experience with Samsung or other companies regarding damaged products and replacement/refund denials?

2. What steps would you recommend I take to escalate this situation?

3. What are the legal options available to me in this case? Has anyone pursued legal action in consumer court for such matters?

4. Are there any organizations or consumer advocacy groups that could assist in this case?

5. Does the breach of contract on my side (Unboxing the product myself) absolve of any responsibility? (Inspite of having video proof)

Any advice or guidance would be highly appreciated. I am hoping for an amicable resolution, but I am prepared to take further action if necessary.

Thank you in advance for your input. Awaiting all your responses.

P.S. I have joined this forum very recently, hence request the all the members and moderators to guide me in correcting any mistake that I might have made while posting this. Additionally, I did search the forum before posting this, hoping that I posted this on the correct thread. If there is an even more appropriate thread, would request the moderators to move this post as per there discretion. If possible, would also request them to move this thread to the homepage in order to gather maximum responses.

Regards,

Shubham

Last edited by BlueStreakRider : 17th October 2024 at 19:19. Reason: Forgot to add note for the forum members as well as the moderators.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks