Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2024, 13:06   #10516
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
We had Sony and Pansonic TVs only since the 80s, our first was a Panasonic brought in Muscat, and then it was all Sony, but sad to see the current state of affairs.
Something similar happened to my last HD tv from Sony (2009) and a Sony digital camera purchased a few years later.

The tv had to be junked after just 5 years because they had no parts for it. The camera's battery was dead after just a few years and despite the rest of the expensive product functioning well, I had to throw it away because Sony neither had any battery in stock nor were they willing to source one.

And there was no remorse from either the Sony center showroom nor the repair agency about any of this. Zero interest in repairing or even holding easily replaced parts like a battery and a very unbothered attitude from the whole company.

I've had many frustrating experiences with Samsung too, but at least things eventually get repaired if we persist.
Noctis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 14:18   #10517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
I suggest to go with Samsung, LG, Panasonic Brands with elders. It's user friendly and trouble free. Apart from the above mentioned brands, Hisense, TCL, OnePlus also good but young generation can handle these TV better. Choose TV size based on the viewers distance. For 43in TV, you need minimum of 7-8feet distance, for 50-55in 10-12feet distance.
I understand your perspective. With a strict budget of 32k and the viewing distance of 10 feet, i couldn't find any branded TV's except for LG 43" @34k. I'll stick to the brands you mentioned later, if it's not LG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
We have a TCL Google TV at home. My father is already comfortable with the UI. And it is set to always start with source as AV input - and there is a dedicated button to select source if they accidentally switch to some other souce. My father has learnt to watch YouTube videos, watch sports in jiocinema and watch movies in Prime video or Hotstar. We do have to spend a little bit time setting things up - thats the only issue.
TCL is a good brand and one of the top contendor in my list. But, I haven't found a single postive feedback about their after sales support and customer service. A simple google search and there are lot of horror stories, reviews in various threads. This is the sole reason to ignore the TCL brand.
I'm glad it's working excellently for you.

I share your opinion about the brands you mentioned later, and I don't think I'll invest in any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
When it comes to a TV, bigger is always better. So, look at 50 inches or 55 inches if there is space. In your budget I will suggest Hisense Q6n which will come below 35k in sale for 50 inches. This is a QLED tv and better than entry level of LG etc.

For 43 inches you can look at Hisense E68N. it's again a QLED tv and currently at 27k. Will come down in price when sale starts.
Thank you harry for the suggestion. You saved me a lot of time. For the price it's being sold at, Hisense E68N is an excellent product in 43" size. I wish the price drops to 24k with all the discounts on the sale day.

After installing the 50" TV, only 6 inches will be left on the both sides and hence the dilemma whether to buy 50" or 43".

If I buy a 50" TV, does a rotatable wall mount help with better access to ports?

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th July 2024 at 14:39. Reason: Trimming the quoted post to the relevant portion for better readability. Thanks!
Nano45 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 14:32   #10518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post
You should also visit the likes of Reliance Digital/Vijay Sales. You will be surprised at the discounts which can offer.

I got Sony 55" X80K for 67k from Vijay Sales, Dwarka in Jan'23. It was retailing around 78-80k on Amazon.in at that time. Do check out the physical stores once also before plonking cash online.
Already purchased Hisense U7k 55 inch from Amazon. I was getting x82l for 69k from Vijay sales couple of months back but didn't go for it. Same tv was available for 66k in recent prime day sale.

Anyways, saw 65 inch Hisense u7n at reliance digital in Mall of India Noida yesterday. Played with it for few minutes. It's definitely brighter than U7k but not by much. Right above was Sony X82L in display. Comparing both tvs U7n was much brighter and better in contrast. Wasn't interested in buying so didn't check on what price they were offering.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 13:36   #10519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
TCL seems to have the most models within this budget and my experience with them has been great so far. Here are a couple of other models worth considering as well.
The major issue with TCL is the brightness. They use only 3 to 4 strips of LED lights depending on the size of the TV. In comparison, other good brands use 8 to 10 rows of LED. One can observe that TCL never mentions the brightness 'NITS' anywhere in the specs. So these TVs are okay for darker rooms but not fully lit ones. Also, refer to the photo reviews in the Flipkart link mentioned in the earlier post regarding brightness.

Another thing is TCL has typically only 1 USB and 3 HDMI ports whereas other reputed brands provide a minimum of 4 HDMI and 2 USB. Within this budget good brand is VU which has 8 LED strips for a 55" TV with 400 NITS of brightness and 2 USBs with 4 HDMI ports

Last edited by Aditya : 31st July 2024 at 18:44. Reason: Quote tag fixed
X-Saint is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:18   #10520
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So, yesterday I wanted to view a few pics (shared by a professional photographer) via USB drive on my LG 55A3 TV, but the TV doesn't seem to support it. I'm a little confused as to how a generic format isn't supported by these latest smart TV's? Or am I missing something here?

I than transferred the pics on my iPhone and played em via Airplay.

Any idea about this or am I doing something wrong? It was a simple plug and play, I thought.
Old 1st August 2024, 12:12   #10521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano45 View Post
I understand your perspective. With a strict budget of 32k and the viewing distance of 10 feet, i couldn't find any branded TV's except for LG 43" @34k. I'll stick to the brands you mentioned later, if it's not LG.
I got the Samsung cue70 43" for 23k for one of the rooms during the previous big billion sale and happy with picture quality after tinker a bit with the display settings.

If you can wait till October you may find a similar deal or a 50" model within your budget.
Old 2nd August 2024, 01:15   #10522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
So, yesterday I wanted to view a few pics (shared by a professional photographer) via USB drive on my LG 55A3 TV, but the TV doesn't seem to support it. I'm a little confused as to how a generic format isn't supported by these latest smart TV's? Or am I missing something here?

Any idea about this or am I doing something wrong? It was a simple plug and play, I thought.
Depends on the OS. LG has some proprietary OS for some of their models which might have a different option to playback pics or videos from a usb drive. I have a Panasonic led and it also has its own OS. It took me some time figure out how to view basic jpg formats from my external HDD. I am sure LG would have some option which you need to figure out.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 09:27   #10523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check the format of the images. If it is RAW or TIFF they may not be supported. JPEG is. So you can transform these images to JPEG using free software on a laptop/desktop.

I had a similar experience with video from my D3300. Finally used Handbrake to reformat them (resized and changed audio).
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 19:24   #10524
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Depends on the OS. LG has some proprietary OS for some of their models which might have a different option to playback pics or videos from a usb drive. I have a Panasonic led and it also has its own OS. It took me some time figure out how to view basic jpg formats from my external HDD. I am sure LG would have some option which you need to figure out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Check the format of the images. If it is RAW or TIFF they may not be supported. JPEG is.
These are JPEG format images. I did check the LG help on the net and the steps mentioned are exactly what I followed. Yet, I am unable to view the pics via the USB Stick.

Tried searching the web to find an alternate way, but no avail.

With today's tech, viewing JPEG files that too via a USB Stick should be pretty straight forward. Idk, what is the issue with LG or WebOS.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 3rd August 2024 at 19:28.
Old 3rd August 2024, 19:47   #10525
BHPian

Quote:
These are JPEG format images. I did check the LG help on the net and the steps mentioned are exactly what I followed. Yet, I am unable to view the pics via the USB Stick.

Tried searching the web to find an alternate way, but no avail.

With today's tech, viewing JPEG files that too via a USB Stick should be pretty straight forward. Idk, what is the issue with LG or WebOS.
In my TV when I go to USB drive option, there are 3 icons on top. One for audio, one for video and last one for images. By default it chooses audio and in that case it will not open any images or video. I need to click on video icon to view any videos and similarly for images. I had a hard time understanding it initially. My best guess is you are in similar boat. Try to see if anything on these lines works for you.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 11:21   #10526
BHPian

Please help me a 65 inch Smart TV suggestion. All I do is watch Netflix, Amazon, Zee, Sony and maybe Jio cinema if they have app for that. My budget is 70K.

I already have 3 year old Sony which is lousy. They don’t have Digital audio out so can’t connect my 5.1 as other ports are used for Dish and Chromecast. They don’t have an App Store or something like that to check available apps. Not allowing to watch LIVE sports even when telecast on Sony LiV with a subscription. Zee app not supported.

I mostly watch OTT movies and watch Tennis which shows up in Sony only for US and French Open but I can’t watch it LIVE due to a some restriction. I have to recharge a dish because of this and also have that setup and we don’t even watch any TV programme in dish. My area don’t have Jiofiber, else buy everything from Jiofiber and get all streaming from them.
Old 4th August 2024, 11:42   #10527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
I already have 3 year old Sony which is lousy. They don’t have Digital audio out so can’t connect my 5.1 as other ports are used for Dish and Chromecast. They don’t have an App Store or something like that to check available apps. Not allowing to watch LIVE sports even when telecast on Sony LiV with a subscription. Zee app not supported.
Get a Amazon Firestick and you should be able to follow all the sports live through the channels on it. I had a 2017 LG Smart TV which didn't support most apps, so got a Firestick and since then, never missed any game live.

If you want to buy a new 65" TV, a 70k budget will get you a LG/Samsung UHD 4K Smart TV.
Old 4th August 2024, 12:30   #10528
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys connected LAN to TV to get better reception? There is a USB to LAN available, not sure if it will work with TV
Old 4th August 2024, 13:11   #10529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Please help me a 65 inch Smart TV suggestion. All I do is watch Netflix, Amazon, Zee, Sony and maybe Jio cinema if they have app for that. My budget is 70K.
65 inch with budget 70k.
These are the options -
TCL C61B QLED.
Toshiba M650Mp mini led.
Hisense Q7n QLED.
Hisense U7k mini led.

Sony, Samsung and LG will have entry models at this price. Not worth it. Check them out and see.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 14:01   #10530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Have you guys connected LAN to TV to get better reception? There is a USB to LAN available, not sure if it will work with TV
Most TVs have 100 mbps Ethernet ports, so it is not going to be an improvement over Wi-Fi. Your TV may support Ethernet over USB but the speed is going to be limited by the speed of USB port.
cryptarchy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks