Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2021, 10:18   #9871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
This model is at 59900 today at Amazon. You may want to check this out. With a few thousand more, the Sony will give you a better experience.
Thanks, are there drastic differences between these 2019 & 2020 models? Also, where are Sony's 2021 models on Amazon? Their own website lists some but at much higher rates!
Old 19th June 2021, 11:55   #9872
Senior - BHPian

Not sure itwasnt me. I just checked because Amazon had some offers and this was a lot closer to the Mi Price.

I don’t think there would be any difference to the dimensions or viewing angles. If the Resolutions are also the same, then, it makes sense.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 20:44   #9873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
My 8 year old 32 inch Sony LCD TV got some display issue. Planning to buy a new one from Amazon/flipkart since I don't want to visit showrooms in the current covid situation. Also there is lockdown in Kerala during the weekends. Main usage will be for HD/SD channels and little bit of Youtube and Amazon prime. I am thinking about getting a 50 or 55 inch one.

The question I have is whether the SD channels will have a decent display in such big TVs. Can anyone using big TVs help
The current 4k LCD's are amazing at 4k content. However none of them are any good at upscaling SD or Full HD content. LCD TV's have now moved down to the mid range in terms of quality, with all the latest tech moving to the OLED's. Surprisingly, none of the reviewers online, cover the upscaling aspect.

If you are used to the upscaling and motion of a Sony HD TV, only a Sony OLED will match that. None of the TV's from their LCD's lineup, including their top end x9500g, are good enough.

I would suggest visiting a showroom when possible, and deciding only after a demo. Just ask them to stop all the 4k mumbo jumbo and ask them to put on a DTH channel with a Cricket or Football match on. You will know how good or bad the TV is. You will notice all the LCD's have horrendous blur.
omar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 17:47   #9874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Chinese products are worth a quarter of what you pay for, as a BMW owner I think you should own nothing less than a Sony, the Rolls-Royce of televisions, a size smaller if your budget is strict but a Sony nonetheless.

I'll always own fewer stuff but of the highest quality per segment.

I can never understand this forums absolute fascination with Chinese goods, the same forum that bashes any car lesser than the Germans, a strong contrast in my view.
What a bizarre idea? How did you come up with this calculation? A lot of Chinese products provide extremely good value at a great price. For example, I have a Huawei Mate 20x phone. It is the only large screen phone (7.2 inches) available by any brand and its quality is equal to or superior than any other phone. It is not ultra cheap by the way. Similarly Xiaomi provides great products. I have 3 Xiaomi air purifiers which are again as good as or better than any other brand. I bought them for 7.5k each and I challenge you to show me a better product for less than 2k as per your calculation. They are equal to air purifiers costing 50k and above. Then there are so many things that China makes that are not even made by any other country like air quality monitors, Sonoff switches and so on. If I have a Sonoff WiFi switch that controls appliances and shows real time energy usage via WiFi which I bought for Rs 500, I challenge anyone to find a better product for Rs 150 or really at any price. In automobiles, MG ZS is the best EV available in India at 21 lakhs. Please show me a better German EV anywhere close to its price and performance.
Lobogris is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 20:15   #9875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
A lot of Chinese products provide extremely good value at a great price. For example, I have a Huawei Mate 20x phone. It is the only large screen phone (7.2 inches) available by any brand and its quality is equal to or superior than any other phone. It is not ultra cheap by the way. Similarly Xiaomi provides great products.
Ah, so here's the thing though, I will pay 100x the price as long as it is not a Chinese product, I will not fall for the VFM trap set by them to flood the market with their goods.

I don't think Huawei quality will be anywhere close to Sony's either, my Xperia Mark II will crush it in every spec, of course it did cost about a lakh but as I said, I go for the straight top in consumer goods.

With Sony we're talking about a company that invented almost everything in terms of electronics, either directly or indirectly, they must've pumped hundreds of billions into R&D and hence the cost. Also, you read into my calculation wrong, because the Chinese are straight rip-off artists and spend almost zero in R&D, that's why I said they are worth only a quarter of their price, I never said better products exist at a quarter of their price, I said the reverse, pay more and buy brands with legacy and heritage.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 07:51   #9876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, so here's the thing though, I will pay 100x the price as long as it is not a Chinese product, I will not fall for the VFM trap set by them to flood the market with their goods.

I .
I agree. Buy once and cry once. Ofcourse you do get good Tellies for less than 100x from Sony too

I think Samsung and LG are right behind and make for good budget purchases away from Chinese models. Samsung has moved all its panel manufacturing or something from China to Noida.
Old 22nd June 2021, 08:52   #9877
BHPian

Your price to feature logic is on point, however, I for one would never ever buy a "chinese" made "network" equipment.

The amount of hidden operational layers they have is just unbelievable! Think of it like a "kerela or laccha paratha" or "aampapad", layer after layer

Quote:
Sonoff switches and so on. If I have a Sonoff WiFi switch that controls appliances and shows real time energy usage via WiFi which I bought for Rs 500, I challenge anyone to find a better product for Rs 150 or really at any price.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 22nd June 2021 at 08:53.
Old 22nd June 2021, 10:02   #9878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I received my 2021 Samsung Frame 43inch today from Flipkart. Will be installed tomorrow.
Been using for past 3 days and its a pretty good tv. Frame series sits between Q70 and Q80 serie qleds. Pricing for the 2021 series is good too imo.
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:52   #9879
BHPian

Quote:
So if a Chinese phone costs 10K, you will pay 10 Lakh for a similar Non Chinese phone? And it makes sense to you?

Quote:
I don't think Huawei quality will be anywhere close to Sony's either, my Xperia Mark II will crush it in every spec, of course it did cost about a lakh but as I said, I go for the straight top in consumer goods.
And how do you about Huawei quality? Have you used their products? Is there any study that supports your view?

According to Counterpoint Research Trust Rankings, 7 out of top 10 Android Smartphone brands are Chinese. These 20 brands have similar build quality. Even the top ranked Nokia has R&D facilities in China. Sony is not even in the list.

Quote:
With Sony we're talking about a company that invented almost everything in terms of electronics, either directly or indirectly, they must've pumped hundreds of billions into R&D and hence the cost.
Invented almost everything in electronics? What is your source? The fact is Sony was once known for its innovative thinking and that was the reason it was such a dominant brand. Not anymore. This decline began way back and was in news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/t...ch-parade.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hbr.org...-and-the-decli

Quote:
Also, you read into my calculation wrong, because the Chinese are straight rip-off artists and spend almost zero in R&D
That was in the past. Today they are one of the Superpowers of Technology:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...r-the-west/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lov...t-in-the-world

Coming to R&D, Huawei was 6th in the list of companies with most R&D spending (2018) whereas Sony was 41st:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...pment_spending

Even in automotive industry, the Chinese are focussing on disruptive technologies: https://www.melchers-china.com/posts...tive-industry/

Clearly the Chinese have improved and are determined to compete with the best. Something we should learn from them instead of constantly ridiculing them.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-screenshot_20210622112722.png  

CarNerd is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 14:12   #9880
BHPian

I have used and my wife still has an Oppo Renox 10x Zoom and its riddled with junk. You can't remove apps and only way is the disable notifications as they are constant. I think Xiaomi is similar.

Their phones are technically on par with something like Samsung but they price it much cheaper. But we are trading our data to China instead of US/Korea.
Old 22nd June 2021, 19:01   #9881
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, so here's the thing though, I will pay 100x the price as long as it is not a Chinese product, I will not fall for the VFM trap set by them to flood the market with their goods. .
Now you have changed the argument. If you prefer to pay more or avoid certain products, that is your choice. Just don’t claim that the overpriced and possibly inferior product you are purchasing is better. Why do so many Bhpians buy them, you asked. The reason is they provide excellent products at great prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Your price to feature logic is on point, however, I for one would never ever buy a "chinese" made "network" equipment.

The amount of hidden operational layers they have is just unbelievable! Think of it like a "kerela or laccha paratha" or "aampapad", layer after layer
Needless worry. I am not using it on the ISRO network. I doubt anyone in Chinese intelligence cares about how much energy my AC used today.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:24   #9882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I agree. Buy once and cry once. Ofcourse you do get good Tellies for less than 100x from Sony too

I think Samsung and LG are right behind and make for good budget purchases away from Chinese models. Samsung has moved all its panel manufacturing or something from China to Noida.
There is no LCD panel manufacturing anywhere in India, unfortunately. There are some plans to start it. There was a great project by Vedanta Twinstar in collaboration with LG to invest $10 billion and start a plant in Maharashtra. It was announced with a lot of fanfare by the CM and it would have been an immensely important project for India. Unfortunately the government did not provide the requisite assistance and the project was abandoned last year. These are the critical areas where the central government should go all out to make such projects succeed regardless of the cost.

I have a TCL 75 inch 4k smart Android TV as well as a 55 inch one. I also have a 55 inch LG 4k smart TV. The TCLs are better than LG in every aspect including specifications, responsiveness and picture quality. The 75 inch TCL purchased for 125k a couple of years back compares quite well to Sony entry level TVs which were around 300k at that time. I did a lot of side by side comparisons at several stores by taking 4k materials on a usb. The TCL and Sony both used Samsung panels and the processor as well as RAM and storage were better on the TCL. It also comes with an inbuilt Harmon Kardon soundbar.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:09   #9883
BHPian

Quote:
I have a TCL 75 inch 4k smart Android TV as well as a 55 inch one.
Is it QLED/4K/ normal LED?

Anyone having HISENSE A73 Tornado, please share your review.

Also Please share how is the picture quality of the SD channels, Reason being my parents watch PTC PUNJABI and other Punjabi channels including news channels which are available only in SD.

Last edited by rpmmachine : 2nd July 2021 at 19:19. Reason: Added more Questions.
Old 6th July 2021, 09:38   #9884
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello!

Can anyone point me to any online source to get a polariser sheet to repair my old 32” Sony Bravia’s LCD? The old sheet has completely come out after intensive bubbling and the only feasible way to repair is to change the polarising film.

Thanks!
Old 6th July 2021, 09:58   #9885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post

Anyone having HISENSE A73 Tornado, please share your review.

Also Please share how is the picture quality of the SD channels, Reason being my parents watch PTC PUNJABI and other Punjabi channels including news channels which are available only in SD.
I have been using the A73F Tornado for about a month or so now. I don't watch SD content, but HD content is upscaled very well on the 4k screen. It's got a great panel with very good colour reproduction (natural). I got it with the 4 year warranty offer, so very happy with the purchase. The in built JBL soundbar is good as a TV speaker but not a replacement to a proper soundbar.

I would suggest you visit a Reliance Digital store and look at the TV yourself before you make the decision.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks