Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 19:50   #9676
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganny View Post
I am tempted by the LG's offering of 3 years warranty plus 2 years additional AMC at discounted prices. I was wary of spending more on TVs due to lesser warranty periods and with reduced serviceable parts.
Exactly, this is the reason I went with this purchase. I know burn-in isn't a big issue in the current generation of TVs as it is portrayed to be but I was more worried about the TV failing like motherboard failure or panel damage or power surge. Replacing the parts of such a TV would be nightmare wrt to cost. LG would easily quote 70-80k to replace the parts. So 5 years warranty would cover everything. The LG technician who came for installation updated all the causes covered under the warranty right in front of me in his LG Official App and said that panel will be replaced even if a couple of pixels die.

This may sound like a conspiracy theory, but many claim that LG OLED got a bad rep because of relentless negative press from Samsung. This makes sense because QLED from Samsung is a variation of LCD/LED panel but they still falsely claim burn-in warranty for 10 years when QLED panel can never suffer from burn-in. Now, apparently, Samsung are panicking because they plan to release QD-OLED TVs from 2022 but they have been pushing OLED burn-in so hard that they might have burnt their own fingers!
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 22:54   #9677

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Exactly, this is the reason I went with this purchase. I know burn-in isn't a big issue in the current generation of TVs as it is portrayed to be but I was more worried about the TV failing like motherboard failure or panel damage or power surge. Replacing the parts of such a TV would be nightmare wrt to cost. LG would easily quote 70-80k to replace the parts. So 5 years warranty would cover everything. The LG technician who came for installation updated all the causes covered under the warranty right in front of me in his LG Official App and said that panel will be replaced even if a couple of pixels die.

This may sound like a conspiracy theory, but many claim that LG OLED got a bad rep because of relentless negative press from Samsung. This makes sense because QLED from Samsung is a variation of LCD/LED panel but they still falsely claim burn-in warranty for 10 years when QLED panel can never suffer from burn-in. Now, apparently, Samsung are panicking because they plan to release QD-OLED TVs from 2022 but they have been pushing OLED burn-in so hard that they might have burnt their own fingers!
Fully agree with you. With 5 years of assurance, OLED would be the preferred TV. Spending closer to OLED tv price with LED TVs was uncomfortable for me with one or two years warranty. I was prepared to go for led TVs at lower price like TCL or Iffalco. But the 5 years assurance changed my mind.
Old 5th November 2020, 12:09   #9678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
My Samsung 40" LCD (model LA40C630, S-PVA panel) crossed 10 years this October. Zero complaints to this day!...
My Samsung 40" LCD (LA40B650) has also crossed 10 years recently and I too have not faced a single problem so far. I use it extensively and have watched thousands of hours of content. Not once has it caused even a slight inconvenience!

I have it hooked up to most latest entertainment devices, and quite frankly the only thing I am missing out on apart from a larger display (the projector makes up for it) is the 4K resolution / HDR.

I am frequently tempted to upgrade to one of the latest OLED / QLED models but always introspect and back off my decision. I convince myself I will upgrade only when my trusty Samsung dies, and by the looks of it it's gonna take a while
97_Octane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 12:17   #9679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
My Samsung 40" LCD (LA40B650) has also crossed 10 years recently.

I have it hooked up to most latest entertainment devices, and quite frankly the only thing I am missing out on apart from a larger display (the projector makes up for it) is the 4K resolution / HDR.

I am frequently tempted to upgrade to one of the latest OLED / QLED models but always introspect and back off my decision. I convince myself I will upgrade only when my trusty Samsung dies, and by the looks of it it's gonna take a while
I feel this is the right time to buy or upgrade. e.g. When I was enquiring for 55" Sony X9000 (previous year model) last year i.e April 2019, I got minimum quotation which was for 132000. Now my friend got same new current model for 95k with Hdfc credit card and old smaller LCD TV got 2k.
This is I think Corona effect.
HydroFuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:12   #9680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
I feel this is the right time to buy or upgrade. e.g. When I was enquiring for 55" Sony X9000 (previous year model) last year i.e April 2019, I got minimum quotation which was for 132000. Now my friend got same new current model for 95k with Hdfc credit card and old smaller LCD TV got 2k.
I bought a X9500G (2019 model) for 98k.
Old 5th November 2020, 17:43   #9681
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
I am in the exact same situation. My Panasonic plasma is more than 8 years old now and shows no signs of dying.

And it's not even full HD, but 720p. An upgrade to 4K will definitely be huge for me, but the darn thing just keeps running.
Oxy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:52   #9682

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
I bought LG OLED 55" CX last week and have done quite an extensive research about burn-in. The below things are what I have learnt

1. The burn-in issue has mostly plagued C8 and prior versions. There was some design flaw wrt red pixel which was rectified in C9 and later versions.
2. The consensus is that burn-in occurs when the OLED light is set to 100 and if you watch the same content all the time, after spending a week with the TV, except for the HDR picture preset, I have set the OLED light to 50 in other presets and it is hardly noticeable.
3. If you probably watch the same channel for 10 hours a day then you should avoid OLED. With varied content usage, burn-in isn't an issue.

You can read more about the burn-in test carried out by Rtings here,

I was planning to buy either 55x9500h or 55CX after lots of Demo and research I settled on 55CX. The picture quality on LG CX is mind-blowing. I had stopped watching TV at home but since the last week I have been watching so many movies and series, and everything looks so freaking good!

LG is offering 3 + 2 years comprehensive warranty (Covers everything from burn-in to panel damage) if the TV is bought before November 20th as part of Diwali offer, probably you can check it out.
Thanks Prasathlr, this is pretty helpful. Did you get a chance to check out the other OLED models, prior to purchasing the CX? Mainly the A9G/A8G from last year.

I am looking at the Sony OLEDs as well, and their master series A9G from last year is still a bit more expensive than the newer OLEDs from LG. Yesterday, Sony released the 65 inch A8H (no word on the pricing or availability of A8H 55 inch), their 2020 master series.
Old 6th November 2020, 12:59   #9683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sineman View Post
Thanks Prasathlr, this is pretty helpful. Did you get a chance to check out the other OLED models, prior to purchasing the CX? Mainly the A9G/A8G from last year.

I am looking at the Sony OLEDs as well, and their master series A9G from last year is still a bit more expensive than the newer OLEDs from LG. Yesterday, Sony released the 65 inch A8H (no word on the pricing or availability of A8H 55 inch), their 2020 master series.
I did compare Sony A8G with LG CX, just to understand the difference between both but the main reason I bought CX was for PS5. CX has been rated the best TV for gaming/movies and it supports HDMI 2.1 (VRR, ALLM, 4K@120Hz) in all the HDMI ports.

If watching movies/TV shows is your priority then Sony A8G is rated slightly better than LG CX. OLED TVs are already expensive and IMO Sony A8G are way too expensive. I am not sure if slightly better Picture Quality of Sony A8G justifies extra 40k over LG CX.

The choice is yours though. Most stores have LG CX and A8G next to each other, try playing the same content in both the TVs and see which TV you would prefer.
prasathlr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 19:43   #9684
BHPian

Hi prasathlr, did you also compare it with lg nano cell TVs like nano91?
Old 6th November 2020, 21:13   #9685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Hi prasathlr, did you also compare it with lg nano cell TVs like nano91?
Yes. I did research on almost every TV brand around Rs.1L price range

Please avoid LG Nano Cell TV like a plague if you care about Picture Quality. LG uses IPS panel in Nano TV due to which it has poor contrast (Black will look like Grey) and really bad blooming effect. The peak HDR performance is poor as well and with so many shows coming in Dolby Vision, peak HDR performance must be considered while purchasing a 4K TV.

You are better off buying Sony X9500G or X9500H. Sony's Picture quality is unparalleled and X9500G has HDR peak brightness of 1200 nits which is 3 times more than LG Nano 90 TV. The colours literally pop on X9500G. Last month when I was buying a TV, Sony had only released the 75" X9500H in India. Have they released the 55" and 65"?

On a side note, If anyone is interested in buying LG CX, please DM me, I will share the sales guy's number. One of the stores in Bangalore is offering it for 1.30 (Final Price) - 7.5k (CC Cashback) - 2k (LG Cashback) = 1.21L (Effective Price)

Last edited by prasathlr : 6th November 2020 at 21:15.
prasathlr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 13:28   #9686
BHPian

I have 45 degree viewing arrangement and I realised all sony/ samsung tvs are va panels which may not be good choice for me. My only option is either ips panel or oled and both are mostly made by lg. Are there any ips panel TVs made by sony anymore?
Old 8th November 2020, 14:17   #9687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I have 45 degree viewing arrangement and I realised all sony/ samsung tvs are va panels which may not be good choice for me. My only option is either ips panel or oled and both are mostly made by lg. Are there any ips panel TVs made by sony anymore?
You can refer to this post

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4919504 (The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.)
Old 11th November 2020, 21:32   #9688
Oxy
BHPian

Does anyone here know if Panasonic OLEDs are available in India? Namely the HZ2000 or even the last year's GZ2000?
Old 13th November 2020, 13:49   #9689
BHPian

Hi all!

The prices have dropped to 1.18L for 55" LG CX. If you are planning to buy LG CX, then bargain as hard as possible but don't pay anything more than 1.20L for 55". This price will last only till Diwali and the price will go up post-Diwali. This will be the lowest price for LG CX till LG C11 launches next year.

I think you can expect 1.9L for 65" LG CX (Wasn't able to check the price)
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:02   #9690
BHPian

Hey everyone,
Had a query. I have a 2 year old Sanyo 48 inch led tv in which all of a sudden has started to darken considerably from the left side , would love to hear what could be the problem from the gurus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks