Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 08:39   #9571
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

We had bought a VU 43" Smart TV from Flipkart in June last. This was after a friend had purchased the same and was having a trouble fee experience.

However, ours has already started giving troubles.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img20200906wa0027.jpg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img20200906wa0026.jpg

Have booked a service appointment. Let's see what happens.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 11:31   #9572
BHPian

I have a Wybor 55" 4k UHD Smart LED TV bought in 2015-16. However it's Android 4.4 and needs a software update to enable some basic apps like even YouTube, whose recent versions are no longer compatible with this OS version. I've tried the OTA upgrade option but it doesn't work. I don't have the required software file to flash upgrade using local USB. These are the screenshots of the system details and messages displayed on trying the software upgrade through the TV system. Any help on how to proceed further (other than buying a new TV) will be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20200908_105741.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20200908_110159.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20200908_110220.jpg  

Old 9th September 2020, 12:44   #9573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Well if you have not yet bought one of those TVs I suggest you look at the Samsung Frame TV. It costs around 82k and is quite close to the Q70R. The only thing is that it's edge lit whereas the Q70R is backlit. But the Frame has a higher contrast ratio. Otherwise you can go with the X9500G but the reviews suggest it has got blooming & connection issues.
Hi CarNerd, I ended up picking Samsung 55Q60R about 10 days back. Very happy with the TV so far. Have paired it with Samsung N300 soundbar (while it's not of audiophile quality, it's definitely an improvement over the sound from the TV). Got it for 82k with interest free instalments (10) and a cashback of 7,500 after 3 months as I used my HDFC credit card for the purchase.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 00:19   #9574
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Guys, I didn't want to post my issues publicly as I expected the brand to actually help resolve the issues I was facing and worked with them in good faith but I guess it's time to post this and let others make their own informed decisions

I had bought a 50" K31 Iffalcon Tv on in last week of June 2020. The TV display wasn't switching off completely ( I noticed after a week ) and I raised a complaint with the CC in ~2 weeks. They initially refused to help, but after repeat emails sent someone to check. He confirmed the display remains switched on, but told me this is NORMAL. The LED panel in new units doesn't switch off completely and backlight is supposed to be on 24x7. I complained for weeks before TCL finally acknowledged this is a design defect affecting all units of K31 series. In the meantime, their engineers visited my house ~15 times, knocked / pressed / beat the panel more than 50 times to fix the issues despite my requests not to mishandle the panel ( I was told by head of UP CC that he will replace my panel for sure after the issues are resolved ). They sent a replacement panel 2 weeks back but it was a different hardware version and couldn't be installed in my unit ( different connectors )

My TV has been opened more than 10 times. The power supply has been replaced twice and the motherboard once. The panel replacement is pending but the TCL guys just keep saying we will do it in "2 days max".

I just want others to be aware of such brands as FK won't even post my review lol

Screenshot of just one email attached which sums up everything.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-untitled.png  

akg7091 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 09:31   #9575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
The TV display wasn't switching off completely ( I noticed after a week ) and I raised a complaint with the CC in ~2 weeks.
Difficult experience no doubt. I have a smart plug for my tvs and we physically switch off power to them when done.
Old 19th September 2020, 12:01   #9576
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Difficult experience no doubt. I have a smart plug for my tvs and we physically switch off power to them when done.
I actually switch off from the mains now but the point is that the backlight is not supposed to be on 24x7. If it remains powered on 24x7 the backlight will die in 1-2 years, just after the warranty expires. The bigger point is that it's not just my unit that's defective, ALL K31 units have the same defect ( TCL guys were able to replicate this in their R&D unit ). The CC is inefficient - I offered to pay extra for a different model if it costs more and they refused to exchange. I was even OK with a lower end model but they refused. The "2 day wait" doesn't seem to end
akg7091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 20:25   #9577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Do consider using the optical out from the Tv and an optical to analog converter. Been hearing cases where the internal board of the TVs get damaged when the headphone out is used to power amplifiers.
Hi Gannu,
Can you please suggest an optical to analog converter?

Thanks.
Old 27th September 2020, 21:18   #9578
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Hi Gannu,
Can you please suggest an optical to analog converter?

Thanks.
Hi vaasu, I got the Amazonbasics optical to analog converter. Just checked Amazon and it is showing up as 'currently unavailable' right now.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07KSB1MLX

It's a no-frills converter and comes with a micro USB cable and an optical cable. Maybe, wait it out a bit and check if the item comes back in stock?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 22:05   #9579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hi vaasu, I got the Amazonbasics optical to analog converter. Just checked Amazon and it is showing up as 'currently unavailable' right now.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07KSB1MLX

It's a no-frills converter and comes with a micro USB cable and an optical cable. Maybe, wait it out a bit and check if the item comes back in stock?
This will work but to connect to a proper amp you need to know the specs of the DAC internal. If the DAC is basic then it's pointless connecting this to a power amp cause the amp needs a good source.

What is really needed is a DAC with good specs from some audiophile brand.

https://www.amazon.in/FiiO-D03K-Opti.../dp/B009346RSS
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 01:23   #9580
BHPian

Hi Guys!

I am planning to buy LG CX in the coming festive sale and would like to know if OLED burn-in is a big concern and if anyone in this forum has faced the burn-in issue? I have read online that LG has replaced burn-in panels abroad even when they don't cover burn-in under the warranty. Does it hold true for India as well?

Please share your experience.!
Old 28th September 2020, 12:03   #9581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Have booked a service appointment. Let's see what happens.
Service Update

Had logged in a complaint through the Flipkart sponsored call centre. It helped that we had also purchased a 3 year repair and replacement warranty for ₹1,500/-.

The customer service executive collected all details and arranged an onsite visit, which was, in the instant case, a remote village in the Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka. The delivery address was Bengaluru and therefore, I wasn't really sure whether they would agree to provide service at a different location.

The technician travelled more than 100 kms from Mangaluru and replaced the TV.

A happy ending; for now at least .
Old 28th September 2020, 12:59   #9582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Hi Guys!

I am planning to buy LG CX in the coming festive sale and would like to know if OLED burn-in is a big concern and if anyone in this forum has faced the burn-in issue? I have read online that LG has replaced burn-in panels abroad even when they don't cover burn-in under the warranty. Does it hold true for India as well?

Please share your experience.!
Check for the C9 or even better B9. You get 95% of CX and for a lot lesser price. I had picked up the C9 for 1.15 L for 55 inch and CX was not even launched then. You should get it for lesser price now I believe.

Do not expect the same level of service in India especially for burn ins. Burn ins are not covered under warranty be it in India or else where. Whether LG does it as a goodwill gesture will depend on lot of circumstances. If your viewing involves a lot of news channel and long hours of gaming you would be better off with a VA panel or QLED TVs.

Few points - additional warranty is going to cost you a bomb. Almost 70-80% of TVs cost for 3 years if you want 4 year coverage. The panel is covered for 2nd year but other things are not so you would still need to pay for year 2 as well.

I have taken a risk and didn't buy additional warranty for first time in life. Assuming other components would be cheaper and the coverage for panel in the second year I am covered at least for 2 years. Of all my TVs only one had conked off after just 4 years (warranty coverage of 4 years). Rest all TVs have lasted me at least 6+ years minimum. I would be happy if my TV lasts 4 years and will take a call based on price of new TV at that time.

I would advise against picking up a CX. The premium hike hardly justifies the minute advancements in PQ. For sound you can anyway hook up to a good home theatre or sound bar later. Save money and buy a C9 or B9. Either one of them will be all the TV you would ever need for the next 3-4 years. The only reason I got a C9 instead of a B9 is that that the salesman after confirming for a B9 for 1 L only could not procure it. Just didn't have an option during the pandemic and most supply chains were disrupted. I may not have been able to get such rates again and hence bought a C9.

Last edited by nibedk : 28th September 2020 at 13:01. Reason: Correction
nibedk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 14:55   #9583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Check for the C9 or even better B9. You get 95% of CX and for a lot lesser price. I had picked up the C9 for 1.15 L for 55 inch and CX was not even launched then. You should get it for lesser price now I believe.
Thank you for your response. I wanted to buy C9 but unfortunately, it is out of stock everywhere. There are only demo models available across all stores in Bangalore. I mainly want to buy the TV for Gaming in PS4/5 and to watch movies in Netflix/Amazon Prime.

I have short-listed Sony X9000H and LG CX both TVs support HDMI 2.1, VRR and ALLM mainly for gaming but X9000H was pretty average wrt HDR performance when I checked it out in the store. My friend suggested that LG CX might be available for around 1.1L to 1.2L around the Dasara/Diwali sale. And the X9000H around 85-90K. For the price difference of 20-30k, the picture quality in LG CX is far superior and I was really impressed when I saw the demo in the store. If the price doesn't drop then will have to stick with X9000H
Old 28th September 2020, 15:16   #9584
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I have short-listed Sony X9000H and LG CX both TVs support HDMI 2.1, VRR and ALLM mainly for gaming
The X9000H promises HDMI 2.1 through a future software update, you won't get it out of the box.

I would suggest check out the Samsung Q80T as well. OLED might not be ideal for your usage pattern.
Old 28th September 2020, 15:18   #9585
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your response. I wanted to buy C9 but unfortunately, it is out of stock everywhere. There are only demo models available across all stores in Bangalore. I mainly want to buy the TV for Gaming in PS4/5 and to watch movies in Netflix/Amazon Prime.

I have short-listed Sony X9000H and LG CX both TVs support HDMI 2.1, VRR and ALLM mainly for gaming but X9000H was pretty average wrt HDR performance when I checked it out in the store. My friend suggested that LG CX might be available for around 1.1L to 1.2L around the Dasara/Diwali sale. And the X9000H around 85-90K. For the price difference of 20-30k, the picture quality in LG CX is far superior and I was really impressed when I saw the demo in the store. If the price doesn't drop then will have to stick with X9000H
Check on Sony X95 series. Benchmark for non OLED/QLED TVs. You can go with a LG OLED for your usage as well. Would suggest you call all big electronics stores in Bangalore and see if by any chance they have any C9 or you can bargain hard to have 2 years additional warranty for display pieces. You should get display pieces for less than 1 L.

Most Viewed