Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2019, 11:13   #8836
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Are you very specific to Sony or LG, I was actually very impressed with TCL/ifFalcon PQ and it was on par. Its around 15k for 40 inch. Just ordered, if you can wait for 3 days I can post a detailed review as I also have Sammy P64 Plasma and Sony 32 Inch LED HD too
I'm in no hurry to get one. Narrowed down to these two brands just because they are the leaders (to the best of my knowledge) in terms of picture quality. LG gives you a bigger screen than Sony for the same price.

Another problem I'm facing now is that the refresh rate for the non smart 40-43 inchers are mostly 50- 60Hz. I guess a minimum of 100Hz would be optimal for those who watch sports. Also I don't want to spend more than 30-35k on a TV because the technological changes are happening at a faster pace now, and more importantly, the current crop of TV's don't last as long as the old CRT's that used to have a 13-15 year life span.

Last edited by longhorn : 1st January 2019 at 11:17.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:16   #8837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
I followed the link below and Amazon Prime working for me in 55K2A-

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/i...69/post-801087
How has been the experience so far. Is the App stable. Any other side effects?

I am yet to install it as i am a bit apprehensive even now
Old 19th January 2019, 09:43   #8838
BHPian

Mi Soundbar

Bought a Mi Soundbar & have been using it for 2 days (exclusively) in the kitchen. The purpose was rather basic & we wanted it to play thru Bluetooth. I hadn't checked reviews as such, just followed thru when I got a message. It was available 30 mins into the sale when I bought.

Wasn't expecting something astoundingly great and I can safely say that although it's par for the course, apart from the form factor & design, the Mi SoundBar is NOTHING exceptional. (Overall 2.5/5).

I'm posting this because yesterday I saw a few "reputed" YouTube reviewers say it's 'great' & pitching it as primary television audio source(!), but really IMHO this CANNOT be a primary audio source for any TV. The loudness level & quality is same as the average local brands. The decade old sound system I have in my garage (/man cave) has USB Port & SD Card slot.

I feel MANY reviewers are quite possibly outright lying(!) to push sales. I noticed that none of the ones I saw got into the obviously important technical specifications about it. Or criticise the fact that Xiaomi omitted a basic USB port. Neither does the website seem to say that it's just a pair of 14w RMS speakers - it's just specified only once in the documents where they're probably legally obligated to specify the details.

Edit : No pics because it's mounted WITH the plastic felt cover. Why ? "because fumes that escape the chimney shouldn't stick-on to the music system over the next 10 years - even if it's hung on the opposite side". I know what you'll are thinking but in such matters it's widely suggested that brave logical soldiers be careful venturing into the abstract world of home ministers.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 19th January 2019 at 10:09.
Old 19th January 2019, 11:38   #8839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
more importantly, the current crop of TV's don't last as long as the old CRT's that used to have a 13-15 year life span.
I have two Samsung Plano TVs that are 16 and 11 years old respectively. Both 21" screens and I am thinking of replacing one with a large screen LED, something like 43" or more.

A friend who is a professional TV service person for many years told me the max life will be about five years, whatever brand we buy, anything more will be a bonus. He said not to put in too much money. According to him 32" screen is max, up to which we can expect good life. The bigger the screen size, the more the chances of failure will be.

He said things will remain fluid for the near future because unlike CRT TV technology which had matured, the current technology is still evolving.
Old 19th January 2019, 13:17   #8840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Just ordered, if you can wait for 3 days I can post a detailed review as I also have Sammy P64 Plasma and Sony 32 Inch LED HD too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Please do post a review. And specially of sports like cricket. The refresh rate of 60k vs higher refresh rates in the likes of LG - I want to see the impact on ball sport viewing.
Madbullram - waiting for your review please. TIA
Old 20th January 2019, 20:50   #8841
BHPian

My 9 year old Sony Bravia 32" got junked due to moisture creeping in and damaging the screen (bubbles). Looking for a 43"/49" LED now - any suggestions for a budget under 60k.

I liked the picture quality on these two, Sony being the better one, albeit with much less features. Both cost around 58k via Vijay Sales (Ghatkopar Mumbai).
Sony Bravia X7500F
Samsung NU7470

Haven't checked LG yet. Any help/suggestions for a head start?

Last edited by CareFreeKid : 20th January 2019 at 20:51.
Old 20th January 2019, 22:16   #8842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
My 9 year old Sony Bravia 32" got junked due to moisture creeping in and damaging the screen (bubbles). Looking for a 43"/49" LED now - any suggestions for a budget under 60k.

Haven't checked LG yet. Any help/suggestions for a head start?
Casual browsing on the Amazon site shows quite a few 4K LED TV of 43" in the range you are looking at.
Now is a great time to buy a new TV. The Republic Day Sale will begin shortly and you should be able to get better prices at Vijay Sales, Croma or Reliance Digital.

Posting one link for a 4K Samsung TV
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Inches...p_89%3ASamsung
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:44   #8843
BHPian

Re: Mi Soundbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
the Mi SoundBar is NOTHING exceptional. (Overall 2.5/5).
That's a bummer. I was hoping to pick one up during the next sale event after seeing the various positive reviews online.

Quote:
I feel MANY reviewers are quite possibly outright lying(!) to push sales.
Neither does the website seem to say that it's just a pair of 14w RMS speakers - it's just specified only once in the documents where they're probably legally obligated to specify the details.
One of the youtube reviews claims that it has 8 drivers.
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-misoundbar.png
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:58   #8844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
My 9 year old Sony Bravia 32" got junked due to moisture creeping in and damaging the screen (bubbles).
Good that it held up for 9 years. Mine started showing these symptoms in 3-4 years and soon it became unwatchable. Showed it to an outside technician and he was of the opinion that Sony LCDs sold around the year 2009-2010 had this issue in abundance. The polyrizer film can be changed in hands of expert technician and will cost you around 4-5k; in case you want.
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:09   #8845
BHPian

Re: Mi Soundbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Wasn't expecting something astoundingly great and I can safely say that although it's par for the course, apart from the form factor & design, the Mi SoundBar is NOTHING exceptional. (Overall 2.5/5).

I'm posting this because yesterday I saw a few "reputed" YouTube reviewers say it's 'great' & pitching it as primary television audio source(!), but really IMHO this CANNOT be a primary audio source for any TV. The loudness level & quality is same as the average local brands. The decade old sound system I have in my garage (/man cave) has USB Port & SD Card slot.

I feel MANY reviewers are quite possibly outright lying(!) to push sales. I noticed that none of the ones I saw got into the obviously important technical specifications about it. Or criticise the fact that Xiaomi omitted a basic USB port. Neither does the website seem to say that it's just a pair of 14w RMS speakers - it's just specified only once in the documents where they're probably legally obligated to specify the details.

I fell into the same boat. I thought it would be good but i feel it to be too basic. I wanted to add it as primary speaker for TV (serial watching for mum) as for Movies I rely on my sound system. Even mum said that it sounds just like the TV speakers.
I won't recommend it to anybody as it does not have USB or Radio or anything to recommend. But I've the say that it could connect to iPhone in the first go but with Windows Phone no success till now (I'll give it a try again).
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:50   #8846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Good that it held up for 9 years. Mine started showing these symptoms in 3-4 years and soon it became unwatchable. Showed it to an outside technician and he was of the opinion that Sony LCDs sold around the year 2009-2010 had this issue in abundance. The polyrizer film can be changed in hands of expert technician and will cost you around 4-5k; in case you want.
I already got that for around 3k from Sony Service Centre with a 3 month warranty. That was in Feb-March 2018. It lasted for 10 months; though I was expecting it go longer.

This time along with bubbles, it appears the display panel (leds) also got damaged (was expecting a better job from Sony folks!). Even the external technicians say it's better to replace the TV - repairs would be cheap but unreliable.

So a new one it is!
Old 14th February 2019, 13:47   #8847
Senior - BHPian

Got two 55" Sony Bravia LEDs delivered yesterday. I was earlier trying to get a Philips or Vue given their low cost but after having checked Sony's display with the likes of LG, Samsung, Panasonic I just couldn't fathom that Philips or Vue could be better.

I didn't want a smart TV and was planning to use either Chromecast or Firestick but since X7002 already has Youtube, Prime and Netflix, there just wasn't any need to be using these smart devices.

Best part, I have a Blu-ray home theater from Sony for the past 4-5 years and with an app I can control everything on the TV as well as the Blu-ray player. Never thought that a Sony product from 4-5 years would fit in the "smart" category and actually make my life easy.

Question though, is there a more efficient way of connecting my laptop, TV and home-theater. I've currently hooked my laptop to TV via HDMI and TV to home-theater via another HDMI.
Old 14th February 2019, 13:55   #8848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Please do post a review. And specially of sports like cricket. The refresh rate of 60k vs higher refresh rates in the likes of LG - I want to see the impact on ball sport viewing.
Tell me if you would like to see a review of the VU for cricket. I have frankly not seen any real noticeable difference from my LG 3D Cinema when it comes to watching sports. But then again, may be someone who is going to pore into it will come up with something. My point is that for regular day to day viewing there is no major downers here.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:41   #8849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Question though, is there a more efficient way of connecting my laptop, TV and home-theater. I've currently hooked my laptop to TV via HDMI and TV to home-theater via another HDMI.
You should be able to connect your laptop to TV using mirroring (just like how how you mirror/cast your smartphone) if your laptop and TV are on the same wireless network (connected to the same wireless router).
Old 15th February 2019, 16:29   #8850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
You should be able to connect your laptop to TV using mirroring (just like how how you mirror/cast your smartphone) if your laptop and TV are on the same wireless network (connected to the same wireless router).
Does mirroring impact the quality of output in any way?

Another question, if my external hard drive has 4k blu-ray movies (50GB to 100GB each) and I connect it via USB, will the TV play it in original 4k format or cut back on the quality just because I'm connected via USB.

My laptop can't play 4k movies, desktop is still a few months away, so what's really the best option for me. I do have a blu-ray home theater but the 4k content is still in external hard drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks