Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2018, 07:09   #8686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Did you find out what was the reason behind the ICs getting short? Also in case of LG, was the whole board replaced or just the HDMI ICs?
my Yamaha receiver has a similar issue with hdmi out going on the blink. I have not got it fixed. The hdmi typically gets spoilt due to voltage issues and or weather conditions. My Yamaha was always powered via a power conditioner but still it went bad. So one can never say. By the way, the hdmi are again acting up on the same TV that was fixed. Now only one of the four is working and need to call him again.
LG was whole board.
Old 10th August 2018, 14:00   #8687
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
my Yamaha receiver has a similar issue with hdmi out going on the blink. I have not got it fixed. The hdmi typically gets spoilt due to voltage issues and or weather conditions. My Yamaha was always powered via a power conditioner but still it went bad. So one can never say. By the way, the hdmi are again acting up on the same TV that was fixed. Now only one of the four is working and need to call him again.
LG was whole board.
Seems much like the scenario I faced. Check with a tester if the ground or earthing point is carrying any electricity.
Old 14th August 2018, 09:28   #8688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
You can also check Mi 55 inch TV.
MI TV has a patch OS, the YouTube app doesn't support 4k also you cannot load amazon prime in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchettry View Post
Friends, I am planning to buy a 55" 4k TV. I see value for money in Vu TVs and have zeroed in on the model 55SU134_V1. Should be available for 60k. A similar model with Sony or Samsung would be north of 100k, I believe.
Does anyone have a first hand experience with this model?

Vu is a much better option, I did over 3 months research before I bought a Vu 55 inch TV. I have side loaded amazon prime and its amazing though its only available in 1080P. YouTube plays 4k and the quality is awesome.

The sound is a bit boomy for my liking and can hamper clarity of speech. The TV does a great job upscaling standard definition channels. Vu TV is a No brainer.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 14th August 2018 at 09:29.
Old 14th August 2018, 11:41   #8689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
MI TV has a patch OS, the YouTube app doesn't support 4k also you cannot load amazon prime in it.

Vu is a much better option, I did over 3 months research before I bought a Vu 55 inch TV. I have side loaded amazon prime and its amazing though its only available in 1080P. YouTube plays 4k and the quality is awesome.

The sound is a bit boomy for my liking and can hamper clarity of speech. The TV does a great job upscaling standard definition channels. Vu TV is a No brainer.

Pramod
Thanks for the advice. Could you please specify the model, price and source (online/offline) that you bought?
Regards
Sravan
Old 14th August 2018, 13:37   #8690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchettry View Post
Thanks for the advice. Could you please specify the model, price and source (online/offline) that you bought?
Regards
Sravan
I bought this model. I got it for 53500, 3 year warranty bought it from a local brick and mortar shop.

Pramod
Old 14th August 2018, 20:54   #8691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I bought this model. I got it for 53500, 3 year warranty bought it from a local brick and mortar shop.

Pramod

Thanks a lot for sharing those details. Much appreciated. And your positive feedback takes me closer to finalising the deal for a Vu 4K TV.
Regards
Sravan
Old 18th August 2018, 13:46   #8692
BHPian

So went ahead and bought the Sony Bravia KLV-43W662F Full HD LED Smart TV. This thread and information shared helped a lot so thank you all for sharing your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
That doesn't sound logical at all. All other things being the same, the 'smartness' of the TV will not change the picture quality & sound.
My bad, I did not put my point across correctly. What I meant was that there were some differences in the two TVs (the panel and components is what the guy mentioned) because of which there was a difference in picture quality. Not because one is smart and other is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
3) Anything to check for when it comes to buying an LED?
Since this is the first LED tv you are purchasing, please confirm volume output of the TV speakers.
The way the showrooms set up their display TVs gives you a false sense of how the volume will be in real world.

This one does not have an HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel)
Most older LED tv did not have HDMI ARC but they should definitely have Optical Audio output jack wherein you connect the optical cable to your home theatre.

Whatever you buy, go in for the maximum extended warranty that is allowed.
As per my experience, Sony gives 1yr free + 2yrs purchased extended warranty.
Samsung gives 1yr free + 3yrs purchased extended warranty.
Thank you for the inputs. We double checked the volume and were satisfied with what was being offered in the showroom and luckily the experience at home has also been similar. I forgot about the extended warranty at time of purchase. Had called up the showroom and checked, they informed that I can but it anytime within this year. Sony is currently offering 1+1 warranty from their end as well.

So far it has been a good experience but now need to upgrade to an HD connection. We were on an SD set top box so far.

But because it is Smart and connects to WiFi, watching you tube videos, amazon prime content or some of the entertainment channels like Sony etc. is a wow experience through the available respective apps.

I did try mirroring my laptop but that failed even though it showed support for Miracast. Am planning to get an HDMI cable from Amazon Basics for the same. Any opinion on this brand or any other which should be considered. The idea is to use the LED as a monitor for laptop and try it out.

Thanks,
S
Old 18th August 2018, 16:47   #8693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
So went ahead and bought the Sony Bravia KLV-43W662F Full HD LED Smart TV.

Sony is currently offering 1+1 warranty from their end as well.

I did try mirroring my laptop but that failed even though it showed support for Miracast. Am planning to get an HDMI cable from Amazon Basics for the same. Any opinion on this brand or any other which should be considered. The idea is to use the LED as a monitor for laptop and try it out.

Thanks,
S
Great to know that you purchased a very good LED TV.
Does this TV have HDMI ARC or are you using the optical audio output for your home theatre.
For an LED TV, a HD set top box is useful to enjoy those HD movie and sport channels.

I forgot to mention that extended warranty can be purchased anytime in the first year.
Sad to know that the extended warranty period has dropped from 2 years to 1 year now.
Checking Sony India website, shows the extended warranty is for 2 years. 1 yr manufacture warranty and 2 years extended.
Maybe this information has not been updated to reflect what you were told at the store.

See Item No 2.

Quote:
Limited Extended Warranty for a period of + two (2) years shall apply and extend warranty period from 1 year to 3 years from date of purchase.
Sony Extended Warranty

With regard to HDMI Cables, since the price differential between Belkin and Amazon Basics is just Rs 70 ~80, personally I would go for Belkin.
Again go in for the longer cable so that you can sit at a good distance and mirror you laptop screen on your LED TV.
Old 25th August 2018, 14:07   #8694
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a Panasonic Plasma 42" P42ST30D bought in 2012. One HDMI port failed recently and about 2 weeks ago all HDMI ports stopped working.

The technician from Panasonic service said the main board will need to replaced since all Ports are part of it and it can cost about 15k since parts are scarce and difficult to procure. Is it worth getting the board replaced ?

*Technician gave a heads up on phone (mentioned above) and is yet to physically diagnose the TV, would be good to get some feedback soon from others

Last edited by NPV : 25th August 2018 at 14:10.
Old 25th August 2018, 14:17   #8695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The technician from Panasonic service said the main board will need to replaced since all Ports are part of it and it can cost about 15k since parts are scarce and difficult to procure.
find someone who can change the ics of these ports. If you are in Chennai I can give you the contact of a Sony technician who does this.
Old 25th August 2018, 14:41   #8696
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
find someone who can change the ics of these ports. If you are in Chennai I can give you the contact of a Sony technician who does this.
Thanks, but I'm in Bangalore, so will be good to get a local contact. Do you know of such a technician in Bangalore ? Meantime, I will try finding someone locally.
Old 30th August 2018, 23:27   #8697
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Pathetic after sales & service - Vijay Sales & Videocon LED TV

I want to share my after sales experience with Vijay Sales (Infiniti, Andheri) and Videocon.

I had purchased a 55 in Videocon LED TV from Vijay Sales a year and a half ago. In July this year, I started to face the following problems :
- Speakers stopped working.
- Even the speaker output port wasn't working. Tried connecting an external speaker through the Aux cable - but no sound.
- HD mode stopped working.
- There were some distortion or lines on the screen.

Since the TV was within warranty, I called Vijay Sales to lodge a complaint and send someone over to check it. My first complaint was logged in the first week of July where I was told that a Videocon technician would revert on the next 3 days and fix up an appointment. One week passed and there was no call. I called again after a week to check for the status and got an excuse that probably the complaint wasn't logged. So I got the complaint logged- got the ticket number. Was told that they will escalate the issue and a Videocon technician would revert in 3 days. Again a week passed by and there was no call or update. I called their helpline number one again and this time got an excuse that Videocon is facing some financial crisis and hence they were not able to send anyone. I was promised that the matter would be escalated and someone would be sent within the next 3 days. Again this time a week passed and there was no answer. Finally I called them again and gave them an ultimatum that if the TV is not attended to within a week, I will personally come down to their shop and leave it there - and they could keep it, sell it or fix it. I kept calling them everyday just to remind them.

Finally on the first week of August, the technician arrived and the issue was identified with the Mother Board. The technician was from a 3rd party which probably under contract with Vijay Sales and Videocon. Was told that they will order for the mother board and will get the same fixed within 10-15 days. It has now been a month and there is no update, the part has not arrived. The wait is now on. No one has bothered to check the status or even update me on the matter.

This is the worst and the most pathetic after sales service that I have ever faced. What I cannot really understand is :
1. A huge store like Vijay Sales cannot keep a track of their complaints. A customer has been calling you up every week and reminding you to do your job. I mean how hard it is to forward a complaint and get a response from someone.
2. Do they not keep a track of their complaints and keep the customer updated about their complaints status? I did not even receive an email or a SMS update on my complaint number.
3. I can't understand why Videocon as a manufacturer is taking this long to don't a motherboard. The TV is not an outdated model- it's a 2017 model. The TV is made in India, the mother board is made on India (probably) - so why a month delay when you are making in India?

We have always been buying all our electronics items from Vijay Sales for a couple of years. My heart was set on a Sony TV , but being on a tight budget - I decided to go for a Videocon. I regret both the decisions - seriously. Vijay Sales for it's pathetic way of making me run around and Videocon for the delay in providing the part.

Lesson learnt - Videocon is probably in such a deep financial crisis that they cannot afford to send a technician or a mother board. Vijay Sales is only interested in Sales (as the name suggests) so they don't bother about your service.

So an advice from me to anyone who is purchasing from them - Caveat Emptor!
Old 31st August 2018, 10:48   #8698
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pathetic after sales & service - Vijay Sales & Videocon LED TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
this time got an excuse that Videocon is facing some financial crisis and hence they were not able to send anyone.
This one takes the cake! Yes, they are not in the best of financial comforts, but this as an excuse takes the cake literally.

I am myself looking passively for a 49-55" TV. I now know where not to look at. May go for an MI.

But coming to your issue, rather than contacting the seller, you may be better off contacting Videocon directly, which is the norm of service these days. I understand that it has been now established that its the mother board, but since it is not yet procured, you may start mail conversations with Videocon directly to keep record of events. If the same is not resolved within reasonable time, you may find those mails handy in the consumer forum. My 2 cents.

Just to share another stint with Videocon in our family, my sister bought an LED tv some 4-5 years ago and it went kaput within 3-4 days of purchase.
Service guys were not responsive, and when they came over, in fact twice, they couldn't diagnose the problem. Then they stopped responding or even picking up calls completely. My brother in law mailed some higher ups in videocon and finally after some drama, the set was replaced.

Regards,
Saket
Old 31st August 2018, 13:18   #8699
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pathetic after sales & service - Vijay Sales & Videocon LED TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Vijay Sales is only interested in Sales (as the name suggests) so they don't bother about your service.

Most of the resellers are actually responsible for the sales, be it Reliance or Croma or Vijay, best case they can take a complaint on behalf of the manufacturers like they did in your case. Most of the manufacturers have their own toll free numbers/ helplines and encourage to communicate directly. This is my understanding and I may be wrong.

Did you try to contact Videocon direct?
Old 31st August 2018, 19:03   #8700
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Saket, Turbanator. I think I will contact Videocon directly. I haven't yet contacted them since the vendor said it will take him atleast 10-15 days to procure the part. Almost a month has passed now and seeing no update, I think I should now contact Videocon.

Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks