Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2017, 18:06   #8326
BHPian

Saw this in shoppersstop today. Can be a cheap mans large screen setup
Wonder what hardware/software will be needed for this. I checked and they were using a hdmi dongle like chrome cast but it was an intel device. The staff told me it is running off a pic but I think it was from the hdmi media player.
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485520472.232137.jpg
Old 31st January 2017, 10:21   #8327
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible to hookup Chromecast, Apple TV with an old TV?
How is Plex different than any media server that you can establish with your home wifi? Any advantages?

I think the setup that you could do is to get a router with media server app and NAS and then stream the content over your devices.
Old 6th February 2017, 16:54   #8328
mxx
BHPian

This is a question to people here using VU smart tv.
Are you guys able to install Amazon Prime video app on your tv?

PS: I dont own one, but considering purchasing the same.
Old 6th February 2017, 19:13   #8329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
This is a question to people here using VU smart tv.
Are you guys able to install Amazon Prime video app on your tv?

PS: I dont own one, but considering purchasing the same.
VU TV's have the Opera app store and the last time I checked, the Amazon app wasn't listed. The Amazon android app doesn't support Chromecast as well which is a big bummer.
Old 6th February 2017, 19:58   #8330
BHPian

BHPIANs

Need inputs from you guys. My secondary TV ( a 43" HD Plasma - display started showing black vertical lines). The cost of replacement is a whopping 66% of the MRP. I have been following up with Samsung but with little effect on them.

I need to buy a new one and checked multiple stores for a non smart 43" Full HD LED( Plasma production have stopped). I have a 51" Full HD 3D Smart Plasma which is covered till 2018 (under extended warranty). Realized that I have hardly used the smart features in last 2 years. I use it for HD channels viewing as well as a lot of 1080 P content( 3D and non 3D). Hence a smart TV doesn't make much sense for me.

Just that bigger TVs come as smart by default.

I have narrowed down my choice between 40" Sony, and 43" Samsung, LG and Panasonic. All basic non smart full HD models. Ranging between 36-48 K INR

LG and Panasonic are cheaper by at least 8-10 K and both have IPS panels. Not sure about Sony and Samsung but my guess is both have VA panels. IPS are better than VA panels as per my research. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Any suggestions? I would be buying a TV and Microwave so buying LG makes more sense as overall I can get more discounts.

Last edited by nibedk : 6th February 2017 at 19:59.
Old 7th February 2017, 12:57   #8331
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
VU TV's have the Opera app store and the last time I checked, the Amazon app wasn't listed. The Amazon android app doesn't support Chromecast as well which is a big bummer.
Thanks for the info. I have Chromecast too. And I dont see the need for a smart tv. However the VU models with 3 years warranty seems to be the smart ones. Hence the question.
I am new to this smart tv stuff, so i am curious. Dont these Android based tvs have play store? I remember reading somewhere that VU has Android os, i could be wrong
Old 7th February 2017, 15:49   #8332
Team-BHP Support

I just got a LG UHD TV with the LG Web OS 3.

I tried streaming movies online through the usual websites and it worked like a charm.

However, I've had a problem streaming videos on HotStar. (Incidentally, the same problem occurs on my parents' Samsung Smart TV).

Attached is what the screen shows.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_0034.jpg
Old 7th February 2017, 18:37   #8333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

I tried streaming movies online through the usual websites and it worked like a charm.

However, I've had a problem streaming videos on HotStar. (Incidentally, the same problem occurs on my parents' Samsung Smart TV).

Attachment 1605296
I also faced this issue. One option is to cast/ mirror it from phone to TV.
Old 7th February 2017, 19:49   #8334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have Chromecast too. And I dont see the need for a smart tv. However the VU models with 3 years warranty seems to be the smart ones. Hence the question.
I am new to this smart tv stuff, so i am curious. Dont these Android based tvs have play store? I remember reading somewhere that VU has Android os, i could be wrong
I have a 40" VU smart LED TV and it is not running android. The app store is the Opera app store which does not have the Amazon Prime Video app. I haven't really researched other ways of getting the app as I'm happy with Netflix at the moment.
Old 7th February 2017, 21:22   #8335
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Have you tried updating Web OS with latest patches. In latest patch the volume bar is changed to a vertical one (earlier it was horizontal).
It may have required plugins..
Old 8th February 2017, 08:21   #8336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I also faced this issue. One option is to cast/ mirror it from phone to TV.
That's remains the last resort; did that on an earlier non-smart TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Have you tried updating Web OS with latest patches. In latest patch the volume bar is changed to a vertical one (earlier it was horizontal).
Yep, the TV has the latest patches; checked manually for updates. Currently, the volume bar is vertical on the right edge.

There should be a solution!

--

Also, when I check for apps, I get a very limited list. Samsung had a whole lot more. Is there a way to search for apps on LG's Web OS?
Old 9th February 2017, 14:02   #8337
BHPian

Re: Extended Warranty for gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I got a warranty from onsite electro for one of my office laptops. The claims procedure was painful (too many calls & too many document requests); they did eventually repair the laptop at their own workshop and took about 7 days for a small keyboard error. I'll stick with Dell's onsite warranty for my work tools.
I ended up getting Panasonic TH-58D300DX and the Panasonic service engineer quoted 13k for 1 year, 23k for 2 years and a whopping 41k for 3 years.
I tried to bargain but this is the official rate and he said he cannot do anything. Anyway have decided to go for OnSite warranty.

Last edited by timuseravan : 9th February 2017 at 14:04.
Old 12th February 2017, 19:09   #8338
BANNED

Need help wrt to LED TV from Panasonic & Philips. i am particularly looking for below model from Panasonic & philips within a budget of 35K to 40 K max.

https://www.flipkart.com/panasonic-1...5GHHPZMPIPNNBV

https://www.flipkart.com/philips-98c...HESYYJGMLDALVP
How are LED's from Panasonic. Any feedback will be appreciated.

How many HDMI / USB ports are enough.This particular model has 2 each which might be sufficient IMO or is it more the better.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 12th February 2017 at 19:14.
Old 13th February 2017, 08:42   #8339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
How do you download apps on the tv?

I see that there is a website that LG has for apps on tv: http://www.lgappstv.com/appspc/main/...ationSelect.do

But the moment I click India as the region, it says that there is no such website for India and that I should download apps directly on the tv. But I barely see some 5-6 apps on the tv.
Old 17th February 2017, 02:41   #8340
Senior - BHPian

I had a 42" Panasonic Plasma HD 3D Smart TV which was sold for 24k just last month, (it'd occasionally started showing problems with powering ON). It worked well for 4.25 yrs considering the damn thing was kept ON for 16+ hrs a day!

Anyway, last month I replaced the same with a 43" LED TV and I noticed a real reduction in this months power bill. I always knew that Plasma did consume a fair bit of power, but realised the extent just this time.

Anyway, this new one is a 43" Micromax full HD LED TV, it's non-smart, but for a measly sum of ₹23,800/-, it came with 3 yr warranty & a ₹1,700 cashback offer. So that's ~22.1k.

I also bought Chromecast the same day. Set it up, and the thing works well.

Quote:
I have Chromecast too. And I dont see the need for a smart tv. However the VU models with 3 years warranty seems to be the smart ones. Hence the question.
I am new to this smart tv stuff, so i am curious. Dont these Android based tvs have play store?...
Chromecast is brilliant! I've bought 2, one for the 24" CCTV monitor in my office and another for my home TV. Damn thing almost replaces the need for a Smart TV (most "Smart TVs" are steeply priced, and eventually after a few years the features become abit slow, which is why TV companies don't load stock Android onto the TVs - else due to updates it'd make the TVs slow much much earlier)!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 17th February 2017 at 02:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks