Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 13:22   #8071
MCR
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
I think you should have gone for the 6300! Initially I bought the 5900 and It was lying at my place for almost a week before I returned it to the dealer.
I later got the 6300 and I found the speakers were little better than 5900 and also the Magic remote is really nice!

Also be-aware that buying it from Amazon you do not get the Flexi Wall mount and Installation which will cost you few thousands !
Thanks. I have a Sony 5.1 Channel home theater system. So not really dependent on TV volume.

Regarding the installation, LG charges Rs. 1000/- + 14.5% service charges for products bought online. This is not for any wall mount fixtures etc., but just for the technician visit. The regular stores include this charge in the product price.

I plan to have the TV placed on the entertainment unit. Hence I don't need the flexi wall mount unit. There is no option of rejecting this unit while buying the product from regular stores.
Old 6th April 2016, 02:33   #8072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Dear BHPians,

I have zeroed in on the two models/ series -

1. LG - 49LF6300
2. Samsung - Joy Smart - UA48J5300AR

3. Is additional insurance from the retailer or LG and is it required?

I took the additional insurance from Bajaj Finance (for 4.5K) which covers the 3rd and 4th year (First two years are covered by LG).
After hearing lots of horror stories from acquaintances who faced problems like burnouts, double-image and other issues fairly early and replacement cost of components pretty high. It may be a good idea to get some cover.

Quote:
I later got the 6300 and I found the speakers were little better than 5900 and also the Magic remote is really nice!
Yes, the audio output of the 6300 is 20W v/s the 10W speaker output in the 5900.

While the Magic remote is really cool, after getting the 6300, I installed the WiFi LG remote on my mobile and use it more often than the magic remote.
The mobile remote app is very convenient and just needs a tap rather than a press with all functionalities. (only thing you can't do is switch ON the TV! with the mobile remote App , you need to manually turn ON the TV switch )
Old 6th April 2016, 09:24   #8073
BHPian

Can someone help in comparing LG 49LF6300 and sony 50W950D. I know sony is expensive.
Old 6th April 2016, 21:13   #8074
Senior - BHPian

Considering the Sony KLV-32W562D for the common sitting area. This model comes with surge & lightning protection apart from the other usual Reality Pro type of stuff
Old 7th April 2016, 12:49   #8075
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Can someone help in comparing LG 49LF6300 and sony 50W950D. I know sony is expensive.
Sorry Mate not sure about the Sony.. since I bought the LG recently the LF models are pretty good, no complains till now. LF series is real value for money where as the Sony/Samsung are a bit expensive!
Old 7th April 2016, 14:04   #8076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... LF series is real value for money where as the Sony/Samsung are a bit expensive!
Sony and Samsung clubbed together? Haha, Sony always commands huge premium over similar models from Samsung!
Old 7th April 2016, 14:11   #8077
Senior - BHPian

well, currently sony uses samsung manufactured panel.
Old 7th April 2016, 15:57   #8078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Sony and Samsung clubbed together? Haha, Sony always commands huge premium over similar models from Samsung!
Samsung TVs are also priced similar to Sony these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
That has been for quite sometime now.
Old 9th April 2016, 16:08   #8079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
That has been for quite sometime now.
hi,
any source for this?

i know sony used AU optronics panels for their low end models and sharp panels for their high end models.
i thought samsung itself sourced panels from other companies as it sells more TVs than it produces.
but this information is a few years old. has the scenario changed so much?
Old 9th April 2016, 19:02   #8080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
i know sony used AU optronics panels for their low end models and sharp panels for their high end models.
And I know that Sony used LG panels for a while about three years ago. I bought the 42W800 which is not typically a Sony size. The 42" IPS panel is what I mean. Sony used to sell 40" and they were VA panels.
Old 10th April 2016, 08:03   #8081
BHPian

Any experience with Mitashi TVs. I am not able to find any store with Mitashi. Online reviews for mide050v02 are good. It comes with 3 year warranty and is VFM.
Old 10th April 2016, 22:01   #8082
BHPian

Wow, no wonder we're are in the same forum; our frequency also matches I was also looking to upgrade my 26" TV and narrowed down to these models.

My primary requirement is to watch movies (Lord of the Rings sort of stuff). I checked out all of them in person and the reason for shortlisting these TVs:

Samsung 48J6300 - Looked the best in terms of picture quality, contrast and black levels.

LG 49LF6300 - previous experience with LG TV and their excellent service (that too matters, doesn't it ). The PQ was also ok and can be tweaked to make it look ok.

Sony 50W800C - PQ was okay. I'm not particular about 3D. TV doesn't come with 3D glasses too!

What confused me was: I solely relied on rtings.com reviews and they said that J6300 is an excellent panel, but has bad grey uniformity. W800C received good reviews and has good grey uniformity too. In fact it got a higher rating than the Sammy. However the PQ looked better in Samsung when viewed in the showroom. Maybe it has something to do with the picture settings.

I've finally decided and bought a LG 49LF6300. The decision was purely because LG costed around 20k less than the Sammy and I personally didn't feel the PQ of the J6300 required that.

I made the payment yesterday evening and got the TV delivered by 10pm. It's a Sunday today; they tried arranging an engineer for the wall-mount but he didn't turn up. So I opened it and got it setup on the stand.

Interesting this is, I checked the usage hours and it reported the "total power on time" as 30 hours. Should I be concerned or is it ok?
Old 10th April 2016, 22:42   #8083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
i thought samsung itself sourced panels from other companies as it sells more TVs than it produces.
but this information is a few years old. has the scenario changed so much?
Well this is partly true and partly not, Sony and Samsung were in a collaboration for manufacturing panels (that collaboration was called S-LCD), both were equal owners with Samsung owning just one share more because the assembly was located in S.Korea. S-LCD has since a couple of years been bought out completely by Samsung and Sony opted out to explore other avenues of new technology as they always do (they resisted use of Organic LED and instead opted to develop semiconductor based Crystal LED which was far better). The tech that these 2 jointly developed in the panel-making business has been largely contributed by Sony, its just that the ownership now is fully in the hands of Samsung.

Sony in my knowledge has a few sources for the panels, Taiwanese Chei-Mei, Foxconn & S-LCD being the primary 3. Anything over and above 42 are usually Sharp panels. It is however their proprietary colour gamut software Bravia coupled with the X-Realty Engine along with local-dimming etc that make Sony a Sony. LG & Samsung do not even compare by a mile.

From a user of a X8500 4K t.v, I found that 1080p looks terrible even on a 32 incher, this t.v at a little over 40 has 4 times that resolution. Future proof for a decade + the bomb-proof reliability of the brand.

Last edited by dark.knight : 10th April 2016 at 22:44.
Old 11th April 2016, 11:39   #8084
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Thanks

Just ordered LG 43LF5900 on Amazon. Essentially same as LG 43LF6300, but without Air remote. Has all the smart features and Web OS 2.0.
And, by the way, its cheaper on Amazon than @ Devi international! Also, the TV installation (with swivel wall mount bracket) is charged extra, when bought on Amazon. No extra cost for Table top set-up.
Had to return the TV. Was a showroom display unit. The AV port was not working, there were no screws to attach the bottom stand to the panel. No warranty card present in the box.

Will head to Devi international today evening and buy 43LF6300.
Old 13th April 2016, 15:09   #8085
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up a Panasonic 32" full HD LED for 25,990/- from Vijay Sales last night. This is a replacement for the 40" LCD Sony Bravia in my parents' place that they've used for the last 5 years. It's been an indifferent experience for them so they've sworn off Sony for now. We went looking for Samsung/LG. Samsung was out of stock and LG was well priced but I hated the silver bezels which gives it a cheap look.

Zoomed in on the Panny which in addition to 2 USBs and 2 HDMI inputs also has a PC/projector input. Plus full HD at a price that the other brands offer HD ready at. Pinged Navin and he said, "go for it". My Dad looked a little doubtful so I tossed in the assurance that if he doesn't like it, I will replace it for free with a brand he prefers!

Delivery tonight. They gave us 3000/- as exchange for the kaput Bravia. So net price 22,900/- which was incidentally the upper end of teh quote Sony was charging to repair the screen (recurring issue: was replaced once under warranty). Will update on the ownership experience once it arrives.

Have to put in a good word to the staff at Vijay sales, Goregaon. The display price was actually a Gudi Padwa offer that they'd forgotten to update. THey first told us it would cost 2,000 more but later offered it to us at the same price.

Last edited by noopster : 13th April 2016 at 15:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks