Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2015, 15:44   #7786
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Should we be concerned about this aspect

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47289883.cms
Not quite sure what to make of it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStarted View Post
Bought a LG TV in recent amazon summer sale, installation and wall bracket is chargeable(total around 4.5k) , also they are charging extra on extended warranty too.

while 3 year extended warrnaty costs around 6k in store for 42" TV, for online purchases its more than 13k.so almost double.

even its mentioned repair within warranty period will also be chargeable.

so what a total nonsense, amazon refused to help also failed to answer why info is not mentioned on their products page.
Lokesh
Did you follow up with amazon, any responses from them on this?

slightly Yesterday saw an ad in the paper about nikon products and they had a disclaimer. Could not recollect the exact text but then a quick online search took me to this. Interestingly, on snapdeal side here, the procedure is mentioned for availing warranties and for Nikon it has been mentioned to retain the invoice and should the need arise, visit the authorised service centre with the invoice to avail the warranty.

LG had issued an advisory as well which states
Quote:
in an advisory dated October 6, 2014, LG India informed customers that it 'has not authorised any e-commerce company / web portal to sell LG product(s) – television and audio products, home appliances, air-conditioners and mobiles in India for and/or on behalf of the company. The company does not take responsibility for the genuineness of an LG product(s) sold through any of the e-commerce companies/web portals in India, and thus, the company retains the right of not extending additional services/warranties to such LG product(s). LG product(s) can also be booked online directly at the company’s website (www.lgbrandstore.com/in) which is the authorized website for online purchase of all LG product(s) in India
Source for above is this article

Not sure where this would lead to as the online retailers and companies would work this out but the only one impacted would be the consumer for now I guess.
Old 31st May 2015, 20:13   #7787
BHPian

Need a suggestion from you guys. I am thinking of upgrading my Mom's 29" BPL tv which is more than a decade old with a 32" LED Tv. Now since she stays in Bhopal I was thinking I should go for mass sellers like Samsung or LG just for the sake of better service support, but this Toshiba P2400 has really got my attention. Amazing clarity. Awesome sound. Reliable Japanese company. And almost 5k cheaper than its Korean comeptitors.

So, anyone using this TV? If yes, then is there any other TV below 20K which you think is better than this?
Old 1st June 2015, 21:24   #7788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Need a suggestion from you guys. I am thinking of upgrading my Mom's 29" BPL tv which is more than a decade old with a 32" LED Tv.

One recent swap like this that I did 29 CRT with a 32 LED was kinda disappointing for a friends dad as the 32 seemed smaller than a 29 Crt... Not the reaction we were expecting
Old 1st June 2015, 22:48   #7789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
One recent swap like this that I did 29 CRT with a 32 LED was kinda disappointing for a friends dad as the 32 seemed smaller than a 29 Crt... Not the reaction we were expecting
Well, I also have one 29 CRT was thinking to switch to 32 LED. May be I will wait for prices of 40 LED to come down a little.
Old 2nd June 2015, 08:33   #7790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Need a suggestion from you guys. I am thinking of upgrading my Mom's 29" BPL tv which is more than a decade old with a 32" LED Tv. Now since she stays in Bhopal I was thinking I should go for mass sellers like Samsung or LG just for the sake of better service support, but this Toshiba P2400 has really got my attention. Amazing clarity. Awesome sound. Reliable Japanese company. And almost 5k cheaper than its Korean comeptitors.

So, anyone using this TV? If yes, then is there any other TV below 20K which you think is better than this?
When upgrading from a 29" go for 40" at least, you have to use it for another decade. Toshiba is very good too. But have to increase your budget to 32K.
Old 2nd June 2015, 14:21   #7791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
.... as the 32 seemed smaller than a 29 Crt... Not the reaction we were expecting
A 32 inch LCD TV today is, de facto, smaller than the 29 inch TV of yore.
The old ones were a 4:3 aspect ratio and current day TVs are 16:9 aspect ratio. Do the maths.
You have the option to 'stretch' the picture (natively 4:3 on standard definition channels) but people look strange with that setting!
Only HD channels are telecast in 16:9 aspect ratio.
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:09   #7792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
A 32 inch LCD TV today is, de facto, smaller than the 29 inch TV of yore.
The old ones were a 4:3 aspect ratio and current day TVs are 16:9 aspect ratio. Do the maths.
You have the option to 'stretch' the picture (natively 4:3 on standard definition channels) but people look strange with that setting!
Only HD channels are telecast in 16:9 aspect ratio.
Oh yeah. True that! In fact, I have a 40" LED TV and whenever I visit mom, I don't find the good old 29" to be too small compared to mine. Guess 40" is a good call. But that takes Toshiba out of the equation. The cheapest Toshiba 40" is about 33K. And I don't really want to spend on Intex, Micromax, Vu and Mitashi. Will add some more money and hopefully by Diwali, I'll get her a nice 40" Tv.

Thanks anyway guys.
Old 5th June 2015, 15:48   #7793
BHPian

What is the best way to convert a non smart TV to smart TV -
Chromecast, TeeWee or any other best option(s). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 5th June 2015 at 15:49.
Old 5th June 2015, 16:00   #7794
BHPian

I use the western digital media player. Works brilliantly and can't be without it. I prefer it over the smartness of the tv too. I hear the Roku is good too. Nice thing about the Roku is that the remote has a headphone port so you can watch without disturbing anyone else in the room.
Old 5th June 2015, 17:31   #7795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
What is the best way to convert a non smart TV to smart TV -
Chromecast, TeeWee or any other best option(s). Thanks in advance.
I use three things:
1. Wireless router with 4 port Gigabit switch (from TP-Link)
2. Raspberry Pi (connected via ethernet to above router)(RPI is connected to TV via HDMI cable)
3. WD My Book Live Network hard disk (connected via ethernet to above router)
4. (optional) 2.1" wood speakers connected by standard 3.5" jack to item 2.
All movies are on item 3 and played by item 2 on the TV
Item 1 is used for the actual data to move across.

I use 2.1" speakers and connect to item 2 (for the sound), since my TV's sound does not offer the same 'punch'.

I have a smart TV, but I still prefer this setup since Raspberry Pi offers me a much richer experience with XBMC/ KODI media center.

Last edited by S_U_N : 5th June 2015 at 17:32.
Old 11th June 2015, 09:49   #7796
BHPian

I am planning to buy Panasonic Full HD 3D LED TV (Model: 42AS670). Visited many showrooms to check the details. Price quoted is between 60 K to 65K. I want to know how we can find if the delivered TV is a new piece (from stockyard) or a display/demo piece used in the showrooms.

Please let me know if anyone has info on this.

Thanks,
Srinivas. R
Old 11th June 2015, 11:04   #7797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
I am planning to buy Panasonic Full HD 3D LED TV (Model: 42AS670)

Check date of manufacture on box and also look for dust on TV, the way the cord is wound and bound, gum residue on TV of price tag etc that are typically on the showroom piece. Also check if the TV has been initialized or not, usually asks for language and few settings on first time switch on. None of these are fool proof. Can also register the serial number on the manufacturer site.
Old 11th June 2015, 11:20   #7798
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
I am planning to buy Panasonic Full HD 3D LED TV (Model: 42AS670). Visited many showrooms to check the details. Price quoted is between 60 K to 65K. I want to know how we can find if the delivered TV is a new piece (from stockyard) or a display/demo piece used in the showrooms.
All Panasonic TVs have a 'secret' menu to find out the number of times the TV has been switched on, number of hours of usage, etc.
Search on the net and you will find it for Panasonic Plasmas as well as LEDs (one or two of the key combinations to bring up the menu may be different for LED TVs compared to Plasmas). Check on sites like HiFiVision for example.
Please check this at the showroom and only then buy the TV, many times they palm off a display piece to unsuspecting customers

Last edited by NPV : 11th June 2015 at 11:22.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:44   #7799
BHPian

Guys,

I am in the process of finalizing an LED TV for my 14 feet x 12 feet room.

Have seen Sony W900B, 50 inches and was pretty impressed.

But i am confused, will it be too big for my room ? Should I opt for 42 inch one ?

Any experiences on samsung models ?

Thanks in advance
Old 11th June 2015, 19:00   #7800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Guys,

I am in the process of finalizing an LED TV for my 14 feet x 12 feet room.

Have seen Sony W900B, 50 inches and was pretty impressed.

But i am confused, will it be too big for my room ? Should I opt for 42 inch one ?
It's not the size of the room that is relevant; it is the distance you plan to watch from.
If you're going to be anywhere between 8 to 12 feet away from the TV the fifty incher will do fine.

Most Viewed