Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 18:43   #7756
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
@ottocycle:
Only issue I see on Smart TVs are about software upgrades.
Thats a fare point for smart tvs. They aren't that user friendly as of now and tend to be slow later. May be one can use something like chromecast etc instead of using their smart features. Some people tend to go for smart tv just because their panels are generally better version and they provide more number of hdmi and usb ports. So that, they can make using more number of simultaneous connections.

Other area the I am looking forward to feedback are

* Does the colors change when looking from sides
* How does it feel when a big scene pans from one direction to another, is the transition smooth
* How comfortable the ports placed
Old 31st March 2015, 19:52   #7757
BHPian

Exactly, as you have mentioned this model has 3 HDMI ports and 2 USB ports. PC/Headphone jack. Plus, Toshiba offers 3 yrs warranty for 799 Rs.
And good connectivity across for this model.

Viewing angle is pretty good and color contrast holds up even if you view side ways. Not much difference. Black and white levels are apt and good overall.

I got detailed demo from Devi International & Chroma in Bangalore. Was very much satisfied. Volume is also crisp and enough. No need for extra speakers.
Tried the smart tv options as well with screen mirroring. All worked well.
USB/movies reads pretty fast. But, at certain instances browser was little lag. Not that much. Given the competitive price this is very good model from Toshiba.
Panning shots were good in L5400 than L2400. Probably the CEVO engine is tweaked better in Smart TV. Particularly football was treat to watch in HD.
Ports are placed side-wise and has ease of access. No issues at all.

Next TV with similar features are in LG LB5820 or Samsung. Priced at around 46-47K. Only 1yr warranty and some triple protection shield.

Somehow the crisp clarity of Toshiba had me glued. L2400 is also good model but very less connectivity options.

Overall, from friends circle got good feedback on Toshiba LED TVs. Infamous P2305 is famous overall. Now stopped this model.

One more thing:
When I visited Adishwar stores, I got to check new model from Samsung 40J5100.
This model has very good picture quality and audio. No smart tv. Plain TV. But, very good picture & audio. This model is released in Mar 2015. Not available in Flipkart.
Final price I was able to negotiate was 48500.

As Toshiba is 10K lesser, plus smart tv hence I am opting for L5400. This is also released in Jan 2015 in India.
Old 8th April 2015, 04:38   #7758
BHPian

Bought LG 42LB5820 smart TV from FK for ₹45990. Paid ₹6084 for 3 yrs extended warranty to the LG technician who came for the installation. Overall a sweet deal I guess and a big thanks to this thread for helping me buy a TV.

PS: Looking for a sound bar to go with this TV. Any suggestions bhpians?

Last edited by smrtdvl : 8th April 2015 at 04:40.
Old 8th April 2015, 13:26   #7759
BHPian

@smrtdvl: If you purchase a LG soundbar, the volume control syncs nicely from the TV remote itself. I couldn't find the LG soundbar I wanted for my LG plasma and had to "settle" for a Sony HT-GT1 and there's no such volume sync there. Not with the Samsung soundbars either while I tested them at the showrooms.
Old 8th April 2015, 16:29   #7760
Senior - BHPian

My Friend just bought a LG UHD TV, 55 inch, a sound bar came free - NB5540. It Sounded swell and complemented the terrific visuals. He told me it paired perfectly with the TV in a wireless set up, since both are LG.
Old 8th April 2015, 17:15   #7761
BHPian

Hi all, please help me with this doubt.

I frequently play files off USB drive on my existing Full HD TV. These are normally 720p videos and I am very satisfied with the video quality.

There is a good offer on Samsung UHD/LED/Smart TV - 40HU7000.

My concern is whether the 720p videos will appear in reduced quality as the resolution of the TV is higher than the source file?
Old 8th April 2015, 18:03   #7762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
I couldn't find the LG soundbar I wanted for my LG plasma and had to "settle" for a Sony HT-GT1 and there's no such volume sync there.

Thanks for the suggestion. Please share the model that you were looking for. Will check out if I can get it here. AFAIK the LG showroom has models starting from ₹12k.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:23   #7763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Please share the model that you were looking for. Will check out if I can get it here. AFAIK the LG showroom has models starting from ₹12k.
If I recall correctly, it was NB2540.
Old 16th April 2015, 10:55   #7764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,

I have zeroed in for below models:

2) Philips PFL5059 - 31500
Good features and specs. 3yrs warranty is safe. But, there are few reviews on panel issues and sound issues.

Please advice.

Please avoid philips, i have same TV and its dead in 4 months, on top philips customer service is pathetic ( outsourced to videocon) 2 weeks and its not fixed. originally told me will be fixed within 7 days.
Old 16th April 2015, 14:40   #7765
BHPian

@JustStarted:
Thanks. I bought Toshiba L5400. I am happy with this choice.
Old 21st April 2015, 08:20   #7766
Senior - BHPian

The issue with my TV now as mentioned in a previous post. Anybody faced a similar issue before? Please help me with your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Bhpians,

I need some assistance in trouble shooting an issue with my LG LED TV (42").

It was bought back in July 2013 and was working fine until last night. This morning when I switched it on, it was showing pictures normally until it started flickering upwards periodically. It is a very visible flickering akin to what happens when we use to 'tune' for channels in our old CRT TVs.

I switched off the whole set and restarted it again to see if it resolved the issue. But no hope.

Initially thought it was the DTH that was not working right but upon switching inputs, came to the realization that it was the TV.

I have it connected to a Belkin spike buster along with a Bose TV speaker and PS3. No issue of any rains/lightning in my area last night.

Anyone faced this issue before and hopefully has a solution for it?
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-1429584569009.jpg  

Last edited by SchumiFan : 21st April 2015 at 08:22.
Old 21st April 2015, 08:24   #7767
BHPian

Buying a Flat Panel Display (LCD/Plasma/LED etc)

Quote:
The issue with my TV now

Sorry if you have answered this but are you getting this shake with other inputs as well? Eg a usb stick or a DVD player etc?
[EDIT]
Never mind, I see you edited your post and linked the earlier post.
On googling I notice others with a similar issue. Did you try with power off on remote and then power on? There was a post that suggested it is a power supply issue and called it a thermal condition, where the flickering would stop after certain amount of time.

Last edited by diyguy : 21st April 2015 at 08:32.
Old 21st April 2015, 08:36   #7768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Did you try with power off on remote and then power on? There was a post that suggested it is a power supply issue and called it a thermal condition, where the flickering would stop after certain amount of time.
The shaking exists simply on switching on the TV. Even the LG logo shakes and the blank black screen as well on having no inputs switched on.

I believe I have tried it. If I understand correctly, what you are asking is if I have switched off the TV through the Power button in the remote and swtiched it back on using the same method?

I believe I have done it. But will try again this evening.

For what its worth, I called LG technician who came and quoted 18K for replacing the display Now a days one can get a new TV albeit with little less features for it.

Pondering what to do in this case. Thank you for the suggestion, will see if it changes something.

Also to be noted is that the flickering varies with time. Sometimes its very less, sometimes is pretty high.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:46   #7769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For what its worth, I called LG technician who came and quoted 18K for replacing the display Now a days one can get a new TV albeit with little less features for it.
Look up a local TV repair guy. I've faced LG repairwalas, and almost got gypped out of a 42" smart TV. Was offered a takeaway for 5k because as per them, the panel was gone.
Two times that TV has lost picture and both times it was because of corrosion on a connector inside.
Been running now for 2 years with a "gone panel. "
So, helps to get an honest opinion.
Old 21st April 2015, 10:45   #7770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Look up a local TV repair guy.
So, helps to get an honest opinion.
Thanks mayankk. I am thinking of it now since warranty is expired and if it is only going to fetch 5K as a takeaway then it is worth opening it up and checking for any issues through a local repairman.

After reading your episode with LG, maybe they should change their tag line to 'Lies Good'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks