Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 15:37   #7651
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Surprised to see the Philips still in the entertainment market. I am not aware of the current market. In general, people get carried away by the popping images on the screen in a bright lit environment. People should understand that in shops all the TVs will be put in "VIVID" setting which gives that poppiness (also there are chances that they set a dull setting for a TV they dont prefer), but in most of the cases this will be the case. In home environment, the settings has to be entirely different else you will feel headache.

When I was in the market for an LCD during 2006-2007 (when LCDs were getting popular in India) I was looking for a TV that can display natural colors, I got disappointed with the major manufacturers Sony/Samsung/LG, I had seen almost all the models at that time in the market (irrespective of the price) and verified sidebyside. All were having a slight color push (I believe it will be there in current models also, not sure) for all the TVs, Sony had a Red push, Samsung had a Green (I see the same in their mobile phones also), LG had an Yellow push to the colors, its not noticable unless you watch carefully and this gives the poppiness to the picture, I got it confirmed with the showroom guys and online. The most important observation I did was that the WHITE WAS NOT WHITE in any of those panels because of this. Moreover, none of the other TVs were showing the smooth or natural motion of images (esp for SD content) except Sharp (its in a different league), on close observation I felt some artificiality in the motion. Moreover with Standard setting, no details on an image in a dark scene (esp the wrinkles on a dark dress)

Since Philips was not displayed in any showrooms other than their brand shops, it was not in my list. But luckily I checked once at their brand shop and one of their flagship model caught my eye and it was showing the WHITE as pure WHITE. It was one of their 47" flagship model from 9000 series and mrp was ~2L. The colors were so natural even with showroom setting, you wont get that poppiness in the pictures (I felt its artificial) but gave a rich natural color. This was the only one I got impressed with the natural motion and details on darker objects after Sharp TVs. I believe I saw one Pioneer TV which was also pretty good as Sharp. So I decided on Philips since I got a good discount as that model was not a fast moving one and they had introduced 7000 series in the market which I felt was not in par with this model in all depts. It also came with a unique kind of backlit remote with a transparent top surface and a unique shape, RC4703 : http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...3%2F01&slg=AEN)

So I would suggest all to do a sidebyside checking of all TVs irrespective of the brand, sometimes you may be surprised.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 30th October 2014 at 15:53.
Old 30th October 2014, 18:13   #7652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
have to say that this is quite a generic statement.
Quote:
BTW: I have a Panasonic ST60 plasma and no complains so far
wow ! you have a great product rather one of the best produced Plasma's . Reason for my generic statement was past discussions on thread which are essentially limited to normal queries and not like you will find on some av forums .
Quote:
The TV we were interested in was a 50 incher Sony W900b.
Did you picked up Sony ? How does it compares with your existing Panasonic ?
Old 30th October 2014, 20:47   #7653
BHPian

What is the take on the VU 32" Android TV on Flipkart. Has anyone here taken the plunge and picked one up? I know one can get a Android Stick and make any LCD/LED an Android TV however this is all integrated and hence the interest. Your views please.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:15   #7654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Any advices on getting a new 32" LED??

How does Micromax fare in this segment? They have TV's priced 15-16k, whereas competition starts at 20-21k!

Got my eyes set on Toshiba 32P3205, retailing at ~21k on Flipkart/Snapdeal. With a 3 year warranty! Any reviews?
I have 39" model picked up from Snapdeal. Been almost six months now and fully happy.
Old 31st October 2014, 10:08   #7655
Senior - BHPian

If someone is forced to look at 'micromax' then better select Sansui or Toshiba. Came across quite a few Sansui, Toshiba, Videocon LEDs recently and to be frank there is nothing to complain. Picture quality is as good or as bad as the LG LED's below 40 inches.
Old 31st October 2014, 11:14   #7656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
wow ! you have a great product rather one of the best produced Plasma's . Reason for my generic statement was past discussions on thread which are essentially limited to normal queries and not like you will find on some av forums .

Did you picked up Sony ? How does it compares with your existing Panasonic ?
My sister picked up the Sony yesterday from Thane.
I think it will come close to the plasma in terms of the the picture quality (but black levels may not match up).

I have seen the demo piece last week and played around with the settings to improve the details in the skin. I was not able to reduce all the post-processing and smoothing effects, though.
Perhaps I need to refer to the manual.

Anyway, I will update only when I get to visit their place. Home environment is completely different from the bright showroom environment.
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:39   #7657
BHPian

I have two questions :
  1. Anyone owns Panasonic TH-50A410D or did some research on this product ?
  2. How safe it is to buy a product like TV from sellers listed under Snapdeal? Concerns mainly related to shipping and quality of products.
Old 5th November 2014, 14:44   #7658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler
Hi, I bought the same model last month from Reliance Digital. With 3 years warranty and also a gift coupon of 1500/- and 10% cashback on SBI Cards. The total deal if I consider all these came out to around 34.5K. The picture & sound quality is good. Only issue I faced was it could not recognize some video formats, don't remember the exact format. I could check and let you know if required. With just around 1 month of usage, I would consider this a good VFM buy.
Many thanks for your feedback . got it for 30,000 at local dealer looks very nice and is best VFM...

+ Points

240 GHZ refresh rate and full HD . i am amazed that the other TV's in this range have 50-60 MHz.
3 years warranty

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 5th November 2014 at 14:48.
Old 5th November 2014, 18:42   #7659
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys. I am looking for a TV upwards of 40". Initially I was looking at Pana Plasma but dont think it is wise a decision to go for them now. Hence started looking at LEDs.
I came across the base models (due to budget constraints) of LG, Sony and Samsung. All were priced in the range of 68K-72K. Mind you they were 47" to 49". I am particularly looking at that size.

Please help me out with these. Is it Okay to go with the base models(without 3D) of these sets. I am not a fan of 3D so it is ok to not have that feature in my TV. Other than that is it really worth a buy ?

Last edited by Pancham : 5th November 2014 at 18:45.
Old 11th November 2014, 18:14   #7660
BHPian

Friends I am in the market for a 3D LED TV of the below specs.:
a). Size: 55"
b). 3D: Passive
c). Have an Onkyo Music System hence sound quality is not really a requirement
d). Have been using 42" Plasma till date hence good picture quality.
e). Have Tata Sky at home and also plan to get a PS-4 soon
f). As high extended warranty as possible
g). Price: max: 1.5L

Now I am confused with the below models available locally:
1). Sony W950 B @ 1.4L
2). LG 55 LB6500 @ 1.2L
3). Panasonic AS670 @ 1.3L
4). Videocon 4K @ 1L

Now Videocon was present in one of the locations hence was impressed to see the PQ quality really rivalling the Sony hence it is in the list. Also to note is that Videocon is an Active 3D one. I have not included Samsung as its an Active 3D and priced higher too.

Need expert suggestions to drill down to the best choice. Help Please!

As of now I have my mind set on Sony but apart from better speaker it does not really offer much more than LG which even has slightly better PQ as I demoed. And there is the 4K Videocon too....Pana in between all...Confused....
Old 14th November 2014, 23:43   #7661
BHPian

Quote:
Any advices on getting a new 32" LED??

How does Micromax fare in this segment? They have TV's priced 15-16k, whereas competition starts at 20-21k!

Got my eyes set on Toshiba 32P3205, retailing at ~21k on Flipkart/Snapdeal. With a 3 year warranty! Any reviews?
Got myself the Toshiba 29P2305, along with stabiliser and Tata Sky HD, for 24k from a local vendor in Vellore. TV he billed for 20k, which was cheaper than online retailers!

Very happy with the picture and sound qualities! True VFM!!
Old 18th November 2014, 08:01   #7662
BHPian

Quote:
Got myself the Toshiba 29P2305, along with stabiliser and Tata Sky HD, for 24k from a local vendor in Vellore. TV he billed for 20k, which was cheaper than online retailers!

Very happy with the picture and sound qualities! True VFM!!
Congrats on the purchase from a fellow P2305 39" owner! BTW FK sells 32" model for 19990
Old 19th November 2014, 23:32   #7663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Congrats on the purchase from a fellow P2305 39" owner! BTW FK sells 32" model for 19990
Flipkart dropped the price after I shopped, I believe! Funny, the 29" is now priced higher than the 32" !!
Old 20th November 2014, 10:25   #7664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi guys. I am looking for a TV upwards of 40". Initially I was looking at Pana Plasma but dont think it is wise a decision to go for them now. Hence started looking at LEDs.
I came across the base models (due to budget constraints) of LG, Sony and Samsung. All were priced in the range of 68K-72K. Mind you they were 47" to 49". I am particularly looking at that size.
?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post

As of now I have my mind set on Sony but apart from better speaker it does not really offer much more than LG which even has slightly better PQ as I demoed. And there is the 4K Videocon too....Pana in between all...Confused....
During FIFA WC, I bough LG 47LB750 for 83K.

Basic Functions:
  • It has very good picture quality. I have set-up custom colors with less bright and less saturation. Though it isn't wows you, but most skin colors looks natural. I hate over dramatic skin tones in normal viewing!
  • 3D is good , though rarely used. With a 3D movie size being 16 G, I don't see using this feature long time. Actually I didn't needed 3D, since panel is good compared to 6 series one, I had to choose the same.
  • It has 2.1 audio set-up, HD Audio is really good. Other LG 5xxx or 6XXX model had 2 ch set-up. I haven't even bought sound bar as for my purpose sound is more than enough (20' X 14') hall.
  • My TV is place is very bright room (Directly exposed to 12' X 10' Skylight). Though experience suffers a little, I find viewing TV during mid day isn't a issue.
Smart TV:
  • Comes with WebOS function with motion remote. So most functions are intuitive.
  • Never used SMART function, as I don't find it useful
  • Connecting 2TB HDD is breeze. My only grouse is, every time you connect any device, it shows all media content with search option. So every time I need select folder browse, I need to select all media and view = folder view. which I can't set as default.
  • It keeps track of all media (also send it to LG server if you are in Wifi), where you left off. So you try to view next time, it reminds you where you left off or start over again.
Overall I am very happy.
Old 24th November 2014, 13:38   #7665
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any idea what is the refresh rate of Videocon DDB LED TVs? I'm hoping to pull some great discount and extended warranty on Videocon 40" or 50" LED but wouldn't go for it if the refresh rate is anything below 100Hz as I would be playing games on it as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks