Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 12:56   #736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Is the samsung TV mentioned above the same as the Sony OLED? It only tells LED.

Check the news item below :
Sony brings OLED TV to U.S., encouraged by TV sales - Yahoo! News

It tells sony ( the founders of OLED ) have just launched the 11'' model in US for 2000$. How can samsung launch the 70'' model in india before that?
Sorry, it is LED backlit and not OLED.. Here are some pointers:
Samsung LED-based 40″ LCD TV « DisplayBlog
Samsung LA70F91B (70-inch LCD) - First Look - TechTaxi
Home Entertainment: Samsung LED-Backlit LCD TV Coming Next Month

But here are some pointers to Samsung's activities in OLED in 2005..
Samsung's 40-inch OLED TV: pics - Engadget
Samsung OLED TV
Old 7th January 2008, 16:31   #737
BHPian

I havent been able to find any of the Sony 3LCD RPTVs of late.
For all of those who bought them recently.. where did you get them from? If possible could you PM me the shop numbers.
Old 7th January 2008, 16:34   #738
BANNED

» How LCD makers inflate their contrast ratio scores | George Ou | ZDNet.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
* Dynamic Contrast Ratio : 500,000: 1
Old 7th January 2008, 17:00   #739
BHPian

I am looking at buying a 32" LCD TV.. I have shortlisted the sharp LC-32BX6M and the Samsung Bordeux series. which do you guys think is good.I am not a sucker for the contrast ratio as given by samsung. I foung the sharp Aquous 32" display was very good better than Samsung. but some on the display model, i found that the white patches on faces seemed like contrast was not handled properly. Althoug i liked the Sharp, i found bright spots annoying.
Some time back i had seen the Sony LCD models, i was not at all impressed with them. I feel Samsung models have more hype than reality..the sales guy even offered me a big discount..he is giving me the 32" Bordeux series for 48K in echange for my 20 year old TV
How is the Hitachi 32" LCD ? any reviews about it ?
which is the best LCD Tv in the 32" segment for around 50-60K price range?

Last edited by shazikon : 7th January 2008 at 17:02.
Old 7th January 2008, 17:49   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressive_anush View Post
For all of those who bought them recently.. where did you get them from? If possible could you PM me the shop numbers.
They have stopped selling it.. Discontinuing it.. would recommend not going for it as a result of this..
Old 7th January 2008, 19:26   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
I am looking at buying a 32" LCD TV.. I have shortlisted the sharp LC-32BX6M and the Samsung Bordeux series. which do you guys think is good.I am not a sucker for the contrast ratio as given by samsung. I foung the sharp Aquous 32" display was very good better than Samsung. but some on the display model, i found that the white patches on faces seemed like contrast was not handled properly. Althoug i liked the Sharp, i found bright spots annoying.
Some time back i had seen the Sony LCD models, i was not at all impressed with them. I feel Samsung models have more hype than reality..the sales guy even offered me a big discount..he is giving me the 32" Bordeux series for 48K in echange for my 20 year old TV
From what I've seen and read, the Sharp models are the best. They are considered to be the best in the LCD business. Surprising you've had issues with Sharp. Samsung is value for the price you pay for it. Sharp is atleast 25% more expensive than Samsung I think.

I also would recommend Panasonic. They launched a new 32" LCD sometime back which looked pretty good. It was definitely better than Samsung & Sony.
Old 7th January 2008, 19:39   #742
BHPian

Samsung LCD

Quote:
I recently purchased a Samsung Bordeux 40” LCD (LA40R81B). Am quite pleased with the TV. Here’s a quick overview of my experiences.

For TV viewing hooked up with Tata Sky. The clarity is very good. The Tata Sky people who came to install were very professional and courteous.

The Samsung installation folks who came to wall mount it on the other hand were very unprofessional, they did not even have a leveling device. Were more like just passed out of high school types. The guy attempted to mark holes on the wall based on his gut feel.

Now coming to the viewing experience.

Colors are very vibrant and striking.
Best Visuals got was from viewing Ice Age – 2.
For a combo of Surround Sound + Visuals, Ice Age – 1’s opening scene just before the credits is excellent.

In the non animation department “Imax- Coral Reef Adventure” and “Imax- Journey into the Amazing Caves” rendered some breadth taking scenes. Almost close to the HD videos that the showroom folks use for display.

Some of the regular movies watched which had good image display’s were Pirates of the Caribbean, Pearl Harbour.

Coming to fast moving images, there is a slight blur. But you have to watch carefully to observe this. (Can be observed in the animation movie The Incredibles, scene where Dash is being chased)

Coming to Games. I don’t have an exclusive game console yet. Just hooked up my laptop via the S-video cable. Purchased an X-box game controller which I connected to the laptop with a mapping software to make use of all the keys on the game pad.

Tried out Max Payne – 2 (Surround sound is excellent, visuals are average), Other games played were Richard Burns Rally, Carnivores . Both were ok. However since these games are not known for hi quality graphics can’t comment much on this.

The TV is hooked up via HDMI to a Samsung 1080P7 DVD player. This player has up scaling upto 1080p. My TV can support upto 1080i.

AVR – Onkyo 7.1 TSXR503
Front Tower speakers are Sonodyne , Centre and Surrounds are Onkyo.
Sub is Sonodyne.

When it comes to image rendering the Samsung 1080P7 DVD player has a better output than my Sony DVD player that I had. But for pure music the Sony DVD player was a tad better. However the surround sound using the Samsung 1080P7 is nothing to complain about for movie watching.

VCD’s are best not watched, as you get lot of flaking in the image.
Old 7th January 2008, 22:02   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

10 o'clock
Old 7th January 2008, 22:32   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear,

Before quoting your views do compare the models you are comparing side-by-side. You'll feel the difference Sony and Samsung are far better then the Sharp and Panasonic.

Regarding the discounts, dealer is selling his product thts it.. he"ll sell the product in which he"ll be getting a better margin... In delhi, you"ll easily get an 32" LCD for 48K without any type of exchange apart from a tata sky connection. For live feedback i"ll recommend to go thru Fillmore"s review of Samsung 32" LCD

Cheers !!!
Old 7th January 2008, 22:55   #745
Team-BHP Support

Shazikon, you have the following options in your price range:

1. Samsung Bordeaux art 32R81
2. Sony Bravia V series
3. Sony Bravia D series with motion blur removal processor
4. Hitachi 32A01
5. Sharp 32BX6M
6. Panasonic 32LX700M

The list above are of the best models available. The panasonic is the most expensive and has the best quality. It is a 100Hz model and not the 50Hz like the rest. I think it's close to 60K.

The Sharp BX6M is a very old model. while it was the best model available when it was launched in 2006, it is not the same case now. available for 40K.

The hitachi A01 has a very good quality and is very good VFM at approx 48K.

The Sony V is very clear for regular viewing but it suffers from motion blur which is rectified in the D series with a dedicated processor.

The Samsung has the best quality panel but only if you watch HD/DVD content. For regular cable/DTH it lags behind as it has a very basic picture processor for noise reduction.

I would go for the Panasonic if the price was not a problem or the Hitachi if on a tighter budget.
Old 8th January 2008, 12:36   #746
BHPian

Lcd Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Dear,

Before quoting your views do compare the models you are comparing side-by-side. You'll feel the difference Sony and Samsung are far better then the Sharp and Panasonic.

This is right. Don't go by what you see in the showrooms. The Sony might look great only because of the HD clip that is being streamed through it.

If comparing 2 or more models ensure the following.

1.Compare the images only if they are connected to identical DVD/HD sources.
(Chroma Mall in Bangalore is the only shop which has different LCD Brands hooked up to the same HD content being streamed)

2.Take a copy of your own DVD and ask them to play it. This will project the clarity you are going to get for normal movie viewing.
( Ensure their DVD player is connected using at least Component Video or HDMI for best results)

3.Go through couple of issues of "Whats Hi-fi" they regularly benchmark LCD and Plasma TV's at different budget's. You will get a lot of valuable info from there.

cheers:

Ps: To summarize, Panasonic is good in the Plasma section. Sony is no doubt good in LCD , but IMHO for the same screen size and features its not worth the 16 - 17k extra when compared to Samsung.
Old 9th January 2008, 13:00   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Ps: To summarize, Panasonic is good in the Plasma section. Sony is no doubt good in LCD , but IMHO for the same screen size and features its not worth the 16 - 17k extra when compared to Samsung.
well.. i agree with you, Since Sony use the same LCD screen as Samsung does,from the visual exp i had, i thought Sony was way primitive in comparison with other brands..not worth going with the sony brand value.
I liked Sharp when i surveryed the LCD market 6 months back. Sony was way behind, Sharp was very good compared to Samsung or Sony. Sharp had just come out with the Aquous range and it was awesome with 3MP LCD screen. Sony seems to have caught up with the D series..but overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
1. Samsung Bordeaux art 32R81
2. Sony Bravia V series
3. Sony Bravia D series with motion blur removal processor
4. Hitachi 32A01
5. Sharp 32BX6M
6. Panasonic 32LX700M

The list above are of the best models available. The panasonic is the most expensive and has the best quality. It is a 100Hz model and not the 50Hz like the rest. I think it's close to 60K.

The Sharp BX6M is a very old model. while it was the best model available when it was launched in 2006, it is not the same case now. available for 40K.

The hitachi A01 has a very good quality and is very good VFM at approx 48K.

The Sony V is very clear for regular viewing but it suffers from motion blur which is rectified in the D series with a dedicated processor.

The Samsung has the best quality panel but only if you watch HD/DVD content. For regular cable/DTH it lags behind as it has a very basic picture processor for noise reduction.

I would go for the Panasonic if the price was not a problem or the Hitachi if on a tighter budget.
Thanks Vids, i think you quite summarize whats the best, i will check out the Hitachi and Panasonic models before commiting myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil
Sharp is atleast 25% more expensive than Samsung I think.
Sharp prices have come down available at the price of Samsung
Old 11th January 2008, 11:58   #748
Senior - BHPian

I have LG 32 inch LC7R LCD model, which I purchased from Dubai. At that time, the model was yet un-released in India and it was the only brand offering 2 year International warranty, so I purchased it.

However, I have seen and like Samsung 32 inch a lot. I believe the picture clarity and color sharpness is greater in Samsung as compared to LG.

Do not go for Sony Bravia as I always feel Sony models are overpriced and not really VFM. Strangely enough, Sony never puts there display LCD screens in showrooms on cable/Tata sky feed, but always showcases a demo HD DVD on it. I wonder if they are hiding something from the buyers??
Old 12th January 2008, 00:21   #749
Senior - BHPian

Sony D-Series have a 10 bit color panel with 100Hz motion blur reduction feature.

Thé BRAVIA picture processing engine is much ahead of the competition and gives very clear results with local Standard Def day today viewing.

IMO, This combination is the best non-HD option available today.
Old 13th January 2008, 00:45   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressive_anush View Post

Buddy! I did PM to you about the Radio House; he had got the 3LCD TVs and you can give my ref.

I got that TataSky yesterday and the PQ is really good with my 3LCD. I'm still with the standard settings and adding custom settings for PQ as I go...

I may not be able to give you a real good comparision with an LCD but my eyes liking the PQ and it should be a good VFM.

someone said its been stopped, thats true. Sony confirms that, however, they will continue to support their product. If you look at this RPTV, there would be less things that can go wrong. You got to replace the lamp after few thousand hours (someone told me 8K and there was one guy told me 20K, not sure though..) -- the lamp cost should be around 8-10K in market now and coming down really fast...I'm hoping they continue using these lamps in other products so it would be easy to source them....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks