Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 14:42   #7081
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Time to change the HT . Alternatively as gharika suggested, make your TV route the sound and since you are using a HDMI i am pretty sure the quality is high already.

I have exactly the same set up with my simple but effective logitech z5500 where i am using HDMI to TV and TV out using simple 3.5mm audio jack and the quality is pretty good and decent HT effect but great woofer

Time to upgrade for me as well and i am inclined towars a small unit like a bose.
Old 7th November 2013, 14:57   #7082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Do you need to choose the "Source out" port on the media player like you choose "source in" on your TV like AV, Composite, RF In etc.? If not, then your media player will be sending signals to all source out ports. In this case you continue using composite audio to HT and HDMI to TV.
Not sure. The media player has a HDMI, USB and Memory Card reader in the front. Currently using composite AV cables. Will check when I get home today evening. The TV has been delivered and I'm excited to check it out

Quote:
BTW, any luck having Optical in on your HT? Normally all these TVs have Optical Audio out that you can connect to HT.
There is an optical jack in the HT. What kind of cable do i need to connect via this route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
The best connectivity option for you will be to connect output of Media Player to TV using HDMI and then use the audio out of the TV to direct sound to HT.
I thought HDMI sends both audio and video signals on the same cable. Will do as suggested, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Time to change the HT .
I did consider this a few months back but it's an expensive affair. I bought my HT a few years back for 30k and won't get peanuts for it now if i have to give it away (in exchange or resell). Onkyo had a sweet deal but bought a media player which is serving my purpose well
Old 7th November 2013, 15:03   #7083
Senior - BHPian

We are soon moving into our new house . As of now we have an old 21 inch LG TV . We plan to buy 2 LED TVs - a larger one for the living room ( 42 or 46 inch ) and a smaller one ( less than 40 inch ) for the bedroom.

Plan is to also buy the Bose Lifestyle V25 Home Entertainment system .

My questions :
1- Which LED TVs should I look at?
2- Any particular spec to look at when deciding on bedroom / living room?

Thanks .
Old 7th November 2013, 16:31   #7084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
There is an optical jack in the HT. What kind of cable do i need to connect via this route?
I thought HDMI sends both audio and video signals on the same cable. Will do as suggested, thanks.
For optical cable, you can buy this. http://www.ebay.in/itm/New-1-5M-Digi...item417844fd88

HDMI does carry, audio and video and if you connect your TVs audio out to HT, the TV will transmit it to HT.
Old 7th November 2013, 16:35   #7085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
We are soon moving into our new house . As of now we have an old 21 inch LG TV . We plan to buy 2 LED TVs - a larger one for the living room ( 42 or 46 inch ) and a smaller one ( less than 40 inch ) for the bedroom.

Plan is to also buy the Bose Lifestyle V25 Home Entertainment system .

My questions :
2- Any particular spec to look at when deciding on bedroom / living room?

Thanks .
My 2 paisa,
The size should be determined by viewing distance. If you have more than 10 feet available, go for 46". Go for a 32" for bedroom as any bigger size will become obtrusive. Try to get IPS panel for living as that allows for wider viewing angles.
Old 7th November 2013, 16:40   #7086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Satya, please take a look at my posts in the last 2 pages.

I decided on LG since it comes with an IPS panel. Most LED tv's come with a VA panel. In the VA panel the brightness is more and tv can be viewed from any angle (or sides). But tap on the VA panel and you will see flicker on the screen. It is delicate and could get damaged on impact (kids playing at home, etc.).

OTOH, the IPS panel is far more sturdy from what i have seen. It has another layer over the LED screen making it more durable. Downside is that when viewed from the sides the picture appears darker.

Tap on the screen on both VA and IPS screens and you will see what i mean.

Sony has VA panel on most of its LED models. Only their high end models come with IPS as far as i was told. LG comes with IPS screen. Samsung, Panasonic and Toshiba are VA panels too.

Edit - i got the LG 42inch LED (LN5400) without SMART and 3D for 48k. MRP = 67k.

Quote:
For optical cable, you can buy this. http://www.ebay.in/itm/New-1-5M-Digi...item417844fd88
Thanks a ton for your inputs shipnil. You have been immensely helpful.
Old 7th November 2013, 17:25   #7087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
My 2 paisa,
The size should be determined by viewing distance. If you have more than 10 feet available, go for 46". Go for a 32" for bedroom as any bigger size will become obtrusive. Try to get IPS panel for living as that allows for wider viewing angles.
Agree on the viewing distance . Will keep this in mind

Quote:

I decided on LG since it comes with an IPS panel. Most LED tv's come with a VA panel. In the VA panel the brightness is more and tv can be viewed from any angle (or sides). But tap on the VA panel and you will see flicker on the screen. It is delicate and could get damaged on impact (kids playing at home, etc.).

OTOH, the IPS panel is far more sturdy from what i have seen. It has another layer over the LED screen making it more durable. Downside is that when viewed from the sides the picture appears darker.

Sony has VA panel on most of its LED models. Only their high end models come with IPS as far as i was told. LG comes with IPS screen. Samsung, Panasonic and Toshiba are VA panels too.

Edit - i got the LG 42inch LED (LN5400) without SMART and 3D for 48k. MRP = 67k.

This is helpful .

Since I mentioned about the Bose home entertainment system , just wanted to know if there is any difference in the sound outputs across these LED TV brands . Bose will have their engineers visit and decide on speaker placements based on room acoustics
Old 7th November 2013, 17:49   #7088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sony's 2013 model 42W800A has an IPS panel.
Panasonic's 42E5D also has an IPS panel.
Old 7th November 2013, 21:00   #7089
BANNED

Quote:

VA panel don't have extra brightness,rather they have superior contrast ratio.
Only some IPS tvs have a extra layer and for that matter some Sony tvs also have a extra layer like the now discontinued HX series.

Quote:

Sony started using IPS panels on low end tvs with the exception of the W800/W850 series which has passive 3d. Their flagship models always and still use a VA panel.
Old 8th November 2013, 09:59   #7090
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Bought my 2nd Samsung 40 incher LED recently, the UA40D5500 Smart TV @ 44K from Gaffar, Karol Bagh, Delhi (retails around 66~68K at the stores). WiFi dongle was 2K extra for internet connectivity. My previous model was UA40D5000 (@40K, using since 6 months now without issues) which is the same LED TV but without Smart capabilities and WiFi support, though it supports a Lan connection and transmits pictures/movies over wifi from mu Galaxy S2.

Perfect bang for your buck.
Hi Pal,
I bought samsung UA40D5900 (LED) almost at the same time and now finding issues like three horizontal lines on the top edge. Any thoughts ???

Siva
Old 8th November 2013, 10:37   #7091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadeep View Post
I bought samsung UA40D5900 (LED) almost at the same time and now finding issues like three horizontal lines on the top edge. Any thoughts ???
99% your panel's gone kaput. Get it replaced, if it's under warranty, otherwise either live with it or sell off the TV at a discount and move on to a newer model. I did that once with only one line. Replacing the panel yourself cost is a costly affair.

Also for the future always use your LEDs with a UPS. Voltage fluctuations are the most probable cause for this issue.
Old 8th November 2013, 13:00   #7092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Also for the future always use your LEDs with a UPS. Voltage fluctuations are the most probable cause for this issue.
No, that has nothing to do with voltage fluctuations - it is a simple material failure. All modern TVs (LCD, LED and Plasma) come with in-built DC-DC converters (Switched Mode Power Supply - to use the familiar computer term) which are more or less immune to voltage fluctuation in the 160-290V range. One doesn't need a UPS for that. One uses a UPS so that the program one is watching is not interrupted on power failure.
Old 8th November 2013, 13:05   #7093
BHPian

I have 32 " sony LED purchased 3 yrs back, has issues with HDMI socket. One TV none of the 4 points working and another picture quality took hit. My TV guy says need to replace some board, costing 4K. Any thoughts ?
Old 8th November 2013, 15:24   #7094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
that has nothing to do with voltage fluctuations
Well I would disagree or you haven't seen the voltage conditions in UP. My one LED went solely because of sudden spike and fall in voltage and immediately afterwards the line appeared. It would have been solely avoided had I had a UPS installed then, which I have done since, which switches to battery mode on such drastic fluctuations.
Old 8th November 2013, 17:52   #7095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... sudden spike and fall in voltage and immediately afterwards the line appeared. ...
You are not the only victim of 'neutral shift' that happens when overhead distribution wires clash. The condition at the end is called 'single phasing' commonly. That is not 'voltage fluctuation' - that is a line fault that occurs rarely, usually when there are strong / storm winds.

I have no clue what TV you had and what protection it had - the solution is a Spike Buster, not UPS or Stabilizer. And no, display control line or pixel failure doesn't occur due to that - it is an inherent risk with TVs and monitors.

Most Viewed