Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2013, 17:44   #7051
BHPian

Re: Connecting headphones to Panasonic TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It is not specific to Panasonic. I think it is a general trend with all the brands. Even my Samsung did not come with one. I am also a wireless headphone user. But luckily for me, I have wireless headphone receiver that accepts digital in, optical in as well.
Thanks. What brand of headphones do you own? I was just Googling after I posted and found some which were quite expensive.

As an alternative I was seeing if I could buy a sound bar which had a headphone jack.
Old 1st November 2013, 19:16   #7052
BANNED

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Actually the power consumption of modern LED like the above mentioned Sony 55" w950 are very low ,as low as 35watt in power saving mode and 64watt in calibrated mode. Now compare that to a smaller plasma like the 50" panasonic VT65 or GT60 the power consumption is 172watt to 300+watt in calibrated 2d and 3d respectively.

So the power consumption difference is still a lot and those who have lots of power cuts and rely on UPS/Inverter a LED is a no brainier.
Old 1st November 2013, 19:38   #7053
Senior - BHPian

My Panasonic ST50 suddenly developed a 2-4 inch black stripe n the screen running on through the screen. Under 3 year warranty now pana is replacing the unit. I am surprised that Pana decided to replace than repair. Very happy with the service centre. It did get delayed by 2-3 weeks but the outcome is good.

Waiting for the replacement to come.
Old 1st November 2013, 20:13   #7054
BHPian

There's a nice discount on the P50S60D Panasonic plasma on infibeam.com, I'm wondering if there'd be any problem with purchasing this online?
Old 2nd November 2013, 06:47   #7055
Senior - BHPian

http://m.cnet.com/reviews/panasonic-.../35558333?ds=1

This is not the T version and has its own limitation on connectivity. The more the HD source you have the more the constraint.

Otherwise its a great TV for the price you pay and pana service is good actually in India at least from my experience.

Do a comparison o. Price point with some Samsung and decide. Online shouldn't be a problem if warranty is honoured and you can get extended by sending an email.
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:53   #7056
Senior - BHPian

Re: Connecting headphones to Panasonic TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Thanks. What brand of headphones do you own? I was just Googling after I posted and found some which were quite expensive.

As an alternative I was seeing if I could buy a sound bar which had a headphone jack.
Soundbar would be a nice option. I had bought Pioneer wireless headphones long back to get dolby digital experience without disturbing others. Here is the link for the same.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-DIR...ess+headphones
Old 2nd November 2013, 18:35   #7057
Distinguished - BHPian

Isnt these settings dependent on size, viewing distance and light availabilty in the room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
i have a pana plasma 42x30 D model , what is the best picture settings for optimal PQ
Current Settings:
contrast : 65
Brightness : 0
Color : 85
Sharpness : 70
Color Balance : normal
Vivid color : on
Eco mode : on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
You can disable vivid colour, eco mode.
You can also reduce the sharpness and colour to "0".
Contrast can be bumped up a little. to 80/85. Depending on your taste, you can also set to "cinema" mode.
Why do you say that we should disable vivid color, isnt the option to make the colors more vivid and hence the viewing pleasure is enhanced?

I can understand for sharpness but, for color also you said 0

Does these settings work for my TV (Samsung Plasma 51F5500) too? Room size is 14X 28 with little or no light coming into the room even during day time.
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:03   #7058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Isnt these settings dependent on size, viewing distance and light availabilty in the room?

Why do you say that we should disable vivid color, isnt the option to make the colors more vivid and hence the viewing pleasure is enhanced?

I can understand for sharpness but, for color also you said 0

Does these settings work for my TV (Samsung Plasma 51F5500) too? Room size is 14X 28 with little or no light coming into the room even during day time.
Not sure about model. But in general it is a good starting point to disable every image processing/enhancement. A good starting point.
End of the day, it is also about your taste.
During the initial days of plasma, I had the contrast and colour at less than 40. Now that it has run in, they are at 80 and 50 respectively.

Sorry about color being 0. That was wrong.

Also if you TV has some auto brightness and power management setting etc, disable them too.

Last edited by gkrishn : 2nd November 2013 at 20:06.
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:40   #7059
Senior - BHPian

@Mobike

If you can get hold of Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 3D Blu-ray/DVD please give it a shot.

The disc actually helps you to tune it based on your surroundings and most importantly it ends up around the basic settings and hardly moves around.

The parameters usually thats get modified are contrast and a bit of color correction.

The best way to tune is not by watching a SD channel but a HD channel, sitting comfortably away from the TV and letting your eyes tune the way it wants to see it.

For example my set up was far less brighter and contrast'y than what the disc suggested. Leave it to your comfort. At the end of the day you dont want to lose the viewing pleasure for some suggested set up and miss the point of buying a tv in the first place of your choice.
Old 3rd November 2013, 16:37   #7060
BHPian

Bought LG IP 22EA53V monitor for 9250/- yesterday. HDMI cable free. Home delivery free.

The dealer bought my nine year old 15" LCD monitor for 1500/-.

Good first impression. Details later.

Last edited by skdking : 3rd November 2013 at 16:41.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:51   #7061
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I'm planning to buy a 42inch LED television and I have shortlisted Sony and LG.

The 40inch Sony Bravia that we had shortlisted has no IPS screen panel and looks very delicate. A slight tap on the screen and we could see ghost images.

For the same price of the Sony LED (40 inch) we are getting a 42inch LG (link). I don't really require SMART features. 3D is an option I am considering and this model is what we have in mind.

I liked the picture quality in LG and moving from a conventional 29inch Sony CRT TV at home, this is a big jump for us.

I am getting the plain LED LG TV for 52k and the LG 3D LED for 62k.

I have a couple of questions:

1. The LG refresh rate shows 50Hz. Is that too low? The Sony Bravia is 100Hz but not IPS panel.

2. I'm wondering if the 3D feature actually makes it worthwhile in the long run. Does anyone here have a 3D TV at home and how much of 3D movies do you actually watch? Does it give you a headache?

3. Could you please share your feedback on the after sales support of LG?

4. Anything better to consider in this price range? Need good after sales support as well.

We have nearly decided on LG, pending valuable suggestions and comments from members here. Please share your experiences.
Old 4th November 2013, 12:02   #7062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm wondering if the 3D feature actually makes it worthwhile in the long run. Does anyone here have a 3D TV at home and how much of 3D movies do you actually watch? Does it give you a headache?
Personally its useless. I have never used the 3D feature and the content available is very minimal and limited. Even kids at home dont care about 3D and they want 3D at theatres more than at home. Its not even a kid attraction for us.

My simple approach to buying a TV is start with a budget and look at the biggest size. Nothing can beat the size be it smart, not smart or whatever.

Even the smart feature is good for a week then you will never use it. Youtube is good but it requires a lot of patience to use those features.

My recommendation:-
- Get the biggest size you can
- Smart and 3D - Not a must
- More ports and more HDMI is good.
- With very little HD content available even a 720P is more than good enough. 1080 is definitely better, and no question about it.
- Check plasma for the same budget. The power savings are definitely there in a LCD but i am not sure if i will see a difference in my monthly savings or a yearly savings. Plasma gave me a very close color, contrast and rendition similar to the same 29inch Sony we have now as our third TV
- Service wise i feel samsung is day light ahead of others while pana is not bad. They are replacing my TV under warranty and i never expected that in the first place.
- 10K for 3d is not worth it. Save it for a BD player or the next size
Old 4th November 2013, 12:20   #7063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

1. The LG refresh rate shows 50Hz. Is that too low? The Sony Bravia is 100Hz but not IPS panel.
VW2010 has answered all your questions. About refresh rate, do try and get a demo of an action movie with fast moving pictures for the set that you have finalized (unless you have no plans to watch movies on that set, in which case buy any TV that you like).

One of the reasons why these sets look good in showrooms is the fact that they show very slow moving demo videos (especially Sony where there is a girl in red with some flower in her hand). All TV's can handle those without issues.
Throw in a fast action sequence from Fast and Furious or Avatar or The Avengers and you will see lot of judder.
To me that is plain irritating.
Old 5th November 2013, 10:30   #7064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Personally its useless. I have never used the 3D feature and the content available is very minimal and limited. Even kids at home dont care about 3D and they want 3D at theatres more than at home.

My recommendation....
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
About refresh rate, do try and get a demo of an action movie with fast moving pictures for the set that you have finalized (unless you have no plans to watch movies on that set, in which case buy any TV that you like).
Thanks VW and Sun. I copied a clip from Cars and Avatar yesterday into a pen drive and headed to a multi brand electronics showroom and sampled Samsung, LG and Sony LED TV's. There was also a Panasonic and Toshiba on display.

I loved the clarity on the Sony and the Panasonic but they come with the VA screen panel (including Samsung). Tap on the screen and you see the panel is delicate and image shivers. Decided on LG since it comes with the IPS screen. Only downside with IPS panel is that it looks darker when viewed from an angle. Also when the movie was paused, the background image was marginally crisper on the Sony and Panasonic.

Since I am moving from a conventional CRT TV, I feel the LG 42inch would serve my needs well. The Motion Clarity Index on this is 100 but 50hz is mentioned in the brackets in the spec sheet. Others also have similar nomenclature so not clear on the universal measurement of refresh rates. I however did not observe any drag or noticeable blur while watching a fast paced scene from the movies I took.

I do have a LG 19in monitor at home which has been working like a charm since the past 4-5 yrs (touchwood). So inclined to pick up the LG.

Only worried about cost of parts post the warranty period, will try and buy an extended warranty. Is this a waste of money or good to go? Do let me know.

So here is the deal:

Giria's malleswaram offered me the LG 42inch (LN5400) at 52k and Jumbo at Mantri Mall quoted 49k. The sales guy at Giria had so confidently mentioned that I wouldn't get a better deal anywhere else in the state so i called him and he said 50k and would try and better the offer today. Waiting for him to sweeten the deal further.

I will be also getting a 4 way adjustable wall mount along with company scratch card with the TV. Lets see how it goes.

Thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th November 2013 at 10:31.
Old 5th November 2013, 12:59   #7065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
I have bought the Samsung PS51F5500, 51" Full HD 3D Plasma TV on Thursday
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Samsung PS51F5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil
Samsung PS51F5500
Owners of Samsung PS51F5500.
How is the PQ for Standard Def content ? I have a Tata Sky HD box.
Read somewhere that SD reproduction is not as good. However currently I have an old LCD 720p, if it is as good as that would suffice for me.

I did checkout this TV this weekend. HD content reproduction is very good. Yet to checkout some fast moving scenes. Maybe I will take some content on a USB stick and see.

Also I did not find that much of a glare in moderately bright lit rooms.

Any other observation / comment you have , before I take the leap ?

-Fillmore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks