Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 23:46   #5686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor
Let me ask the specifics I should check since I Need to buy this tomorrow.
I won't be using the TV for gaming and it should have very good sound for watching movies.
Thats a tall order. Flat panel TVs are so thin and have such narrow border that there is hardly any decent space for a good speaker. The days of TV with woofer are gone. A good sound bar will be a good addition for your requirement.
Old 30th June 2012, 12:39   #5687
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

In terms of connectivity, Samsung usually is the one with all of the latest formats and multiple ports. For sound as Guite posted get a good sound bar, you can try Philips or go to the hifivision forum and use their online shop.

BTW Guite, the VT series does have a subwoofer built in. I have a picture of the same from my panel, will post it if I can locate the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Let me ask the specifics I should check since I Need to buy this tomorrow.
I won't be using the TV for gaming and it should have very good sound for watching movies. I have narrowed in on LED over LCD and Plasma. I need the TV to play all formats of movies through USB. The size should be 40 inch.

So, what all specs do I need to check in a 40 inch LED TV that should be able to play most formats through USB and have excellent sound.

Sorry I don't know much about technology and my requirements are pretty basic.

Not pointing fingers but the first and last part of the post are contradictory as the LEDs themselves would constitute the 'backlight' replacing the erstwhile CCFLs . Further even with the active matrix LEDs, one would still need the LCD panel for the picture to be displayed and secondly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
ALL TVs are backlit. the light source is behind the screen. You will have a greater clarity if you have "active matrix LED" (no LCD) with no backlight needed.
Old 30th June 2012, 12:49   #5688
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys. I am guessing that a "Sound Bar" means a home theater system.
I will go with Samsung as I read that Sony has issues with USB formats and Panasonic is good for plasmas. I guess VT series must be Samsung.
Toshiba being the cheapest, where does it stand?
Old 30th June 2012, 14:09   #5689
Senior - BHPian

The other day I visited a SONODYNE shop and checked out their sound bar. It looked pretty awesome. Didnt test its sound though. Price was Rs. 31000. Wonder if that can be a good addition to a Pana Plasma 50X50 ???
Old 30th June 2012, 15:27   #5690
Senior - BHPian

This is a sound bar Soundbar and you need to spend time going through the back pages of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Thanks a lot guys. I am guessing that a "Sound Bar" means a home theater system.
I will go with Samsung as I read that Sony has issues with USB formats and Panasonic is good for plasmas. I guess VT series must be Samsung.
Toshiba being the cheapest, where does it stand?
Old 30th June 2012, 19:10   #5691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Not pointing fingers but the first and last part of the post are contradictory as the LEDs themselves would constitute the 'backlight' replacing the erstwhile CCFLs . Further even with the active matrix LEDs, one would still need the LCD panel for the picture to be displayed and secondly .
You are still talking about LED backlit TV.

in AM(O)LED, the LEDs serve both as the pixels and the light source. so there is no "back"light, and there is no LCD.

AMOLED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There would be a better contrast because the dark parts are unlit and totally dark, as opposed to having a backlight and then masked by an LCD.
Old 1st July 2012, 00:50   #5692
Senior - BHPian

Aah, my bad. Yes I failed to make the connection with reference to the Active Matrix OrganicLED, what with current offerings being discussed. IIRC from last year's CES, LG had launched a couple of panels using this tech and the commercially viable models are still a few years away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
You are still talking about LED backlit TV.

in AM(O)LED, the LEDs serve both as the pixels and the light source. so there is no "back"light, and there is no LCD.
Old 1st July 2012, 08:44   #5693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thank you. So perhaps a Samsung LED will meet the requirement.
As Khoj pointed out below, we are still a few years away from a real AMOLED TV. You will not have much gain in picture quality with LED vs CFL/LCD. Although someone pointed out earlier in this thread that some LED TVs can selectively turn off parts of the backlight. Not sure how effective that would be.

Quote:
Aah, my bad. Yes I failed to make the connection with reference to the Active Matrix OrganicLED, what with current offerings being discussed. IIRC from last year's CES, LG had launched a couple of panels using this tech and the commercially viable models are still a few years away.
No Problem, I wanted to point out to Shankar that the quality gain is possible only with an AMOLED. I should have mentioned that it's still not commercially available in TVs yet.
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:06   #5694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Interested in a BUlk deal for ST50?

42ST50 price was quoted by another member before my post. Since I've not checked for 42inches, I am not aware of its availability.

My second visit to Panasonic Brand Showroom has met with a confused Salesman and Manager. A pathetic image for the company to be honest. They are confused about the ST30 and ST50 models themselves. I will post a clear response once I get it from the company. I've written to Panasonic and hope to receive a response soon.

We can opt for a nationwide Bulkdeal if there are enough ST50 plasma buyers on the forum. I would say a minimum of 10 units can be a good start.
Count me in. I am also looking for ST50 or UT50. BTW the showroom in Chennai - TNagar has only XT in stock and were pushing to sell for 53K with 1 viewing glass.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:06   #5695
BHPian

I had been to electronic stores looking to buy refrigerator, bumped into TV section just for enquiry, I am planning to buy Panasonic plasma in near future.
Quote I receive for 42VT30 51k 50vt30 75k. They still don't have VT50 stocks yet. So don't get to see an demo. He mentioned the price difference in VT30 & VT50 will be around 20k + model to model.
On paper there are lot of difference in VT30 and VT50 but wanted to see in real world.

Want to take a call only after the demo.
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:56   #5696
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, the shop gave you a quote for the 42VT30!!

Kindly provide the name and location of the shop,the name of the sales person who attended you and contact number if you have it. 42VT30 first of all if available and that too @ 51K are reasons enough for me to fly down to Bangalore and pick up as many pieces as are available, you can wait for the demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Quote I receive for 42VT30 51k 50vt30 75k.

On paper there are lot of difference in VT30 and VT50 but wanted to see in real world.

Want to take a call only after the demo.
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:27   #5697
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, the shop gave you a quote for the 42VT30!!

Kindly provide the name and location of the shop,the name of the sales person who attended you and contact number if you have it. 42VT30 first of all if available and that too @ 51K are reasons enough for me to fly down to Bangalore and pick up as many pieces as are available, you can wait for the demo.
After reading this i double confirmed with the dealer, my mistake it is 42UT30 and not 42VT30
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:01   #5698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Count me in. I am also looking for ST50 or UT50. BTW the showroom in Chennai - TNagar has only XT in stock and were pushing to sell for 53K with 1 viewing glass.
updated:

50ST50
Devarshi84
cowardly lion
DWind

42ST50
Guite
CRV2010
chetans

We need four more members.

PS: members who are checking out plasma sets at various stores are requested to upload the prices they are quote for 42ST50 and 50ST50.
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:02   #5699
BHPian

Information on/from Panasonic -

42" TH-P42GT50D (FHD) - 118900 (MRP) 97860 (offer price)

50" TH-P50GT50D (FHD) - 138900(MRP) 113630(Offer price)

Surprisingly, I was told that ST50 is not available in stock at the moment and hence no prices....!
Old 4th July 2012, 18:29   #5700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
updated:

50ST50
Devarshi84
cowardly lion
DWind

42ST50
Guite
CRV2010
chetans

We need four more members.
What are the respective prices for these two models? I am on the lookout for 2 65ST50s.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks