Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2012, 06:41   #5626
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
The best price quote I have got for pana 42ST30 is 65K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That 'best price' would have been a while back. The Rajajinagar brand shop quoted 59K last week, and that was before bargaining (not looking at buying that, so didn't bargain).
I bought the 42ST30 in March this year and paid 60K, also included an additional 3D eyewear (glass) so 2 sets of glasses for the TV. I'm sure you can do better than that now since 2012 models are here.
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:54   #5627
BHPian

@DerAlte,
Thank you sir for the information. I'm off to pana shop RajajiNagar tomorrow for the demo/Inquiry. Is 42ST30 worth picking up at 55-59K INR? or you suggest wait for the ST50 series and get one during festival offers

Quote:
That 'best price' would have been a while back. The Rajajinagar brand shop quoted 59K last week, and that was before bargaining (not looking at buying that, so didn't bargain).

44K would have been for 42XT30. MRP of 42XT50 is 61K, and it has just reached shops.

@Khoj,

Thank you for the advice. Will certainly inquire in couple of shops before buying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

That is a very high quote. In Bangalore you have several large outlets I am sure you can get very good pricing.

The ST by itself is a great panel.

PQ between successive generations will be similar for cable and DTH viewing. The difference will be more pronounced in gaming especially with next gen consoles and more complex games as they are launched.
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:04   #5628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Is 42ST30 worth picking up at 55-59K INR? or you suggest wait for the ST50 series and get one during festival offers ...
42ST50 has the following differences over 42ST30:
* "2500 FFD (Focused Field Drive)" <> "600Hz Sub-field Drive"
* 12288 steps of gradation technology <> 6144 steps
* "3D Real Sound with 8-Train Speakers" <> "V-Audio ProSurround"
* Built-in WiFi <> "WiFi Ready"
* Skype while watching TV <> None
* Bluetooth <> None
* G15 NeoPlasma panel <> G14 NeoPlasma panel

If the differences don't matter much to you, go right ahead with the 42ST30. This set anyhow stands head and shoulders above other current LCDs and LEDs, even those a couple of price ranges higher.
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:34   #5629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
42ST50 has the following differences over 42ST30:
* "2500 FFD (Focused Field Drive)" <> "600Hz Sub-field Drive"
* 12288 steps of gradation technology <> 6144 steps
* "3D Real Sound with 8-Train Speakers" <> "V-Audio ProSurround"
* Built-in WiFi <> "WiFi Ready"
* Skype while watching TV <> None
* Bluetooth <> None
* G15 NeoPlasma panel <> G14 NeoPlasma panel

If the differences don't matter much to you, go right ahead with the 42ST30. This set anyhow stands head and shoulders above other current LCDs and LEDs, even those a couple of price ranges higher.
I decided Panasonic 50ST50 over Sony HX850 but the point of confusion is how great is this tv over Samsung plasma 51e550. I am getting the samsung for 70 while the Panasonic is quoted at 98 before negotiations. Will the 20K-25K price difference be worth the exceptional picture quality provided by Panasonic?
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:55   #5630
BHPian

Quote:

@DerAlte

Thanks lot for the detailed response. Now am in dilema, my usage is mostly watching typical movies and plan to watch some 3D stuff for the kids. Other than this, I might not make heavy use of the internet based games/videos.
I am very inclined towards this TV with all the features it offers. I heard the price of 42ST50D(latest model update from pana india website) from other sources would be anywhere between 70-75K. if there are any good offers, would love to buy this

Last edited by ravikn : 23rd June 2012 at 14:59. Reason: typo
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:09   #5631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
... Panasonic 50ST50 ... Samsung plasma 51e550. ... Will the 20K-25K price difference be worth the exceptional picture quality provided by Panasonic?
The only time I had seen a Pana plasma (42XT30) and a Samsung (43something) together side by side for a comparison, there was no contest - Panasonic was miles ahead. No, Samsung plasma wasn't bad, just that Pana stood out beside it. Unh-hunh, 20K diff is a personal choice - like the difference between a Linking Road shirt and a Chirag Din shirt.

Quote:
... Now am in dilema, my usage is mostly watching typical movies and plan to watch some 3D stuff for the kids. ... price of 42ST50D(latest model update from pana india website) from other sources would be anywhere between 70-75K ...
One has to remember that in April Panasonic had already talked of price revision for the 2012 models, due to the steep rise of USD (against INR). So, the prices are not comparable to last year's prices.

IMHO you should take advantage of the discount, if you like the PQ and the usable features of 42ST30. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, as they say.
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:27   #5632
Senior - BHPian

Would you spend the extra 20K on a 50-inch plasma for a Panasonic over samsung?
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:02   #5633
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO you should take advantage of the discount, if you like the PQ and the usable features of 42ST30. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, as they say.
Thank you sir for the advice. I had walked out of the Pana RajajiNagar showroom this evening. After checking your post in this thread went back to them and bought a 42ST30D with 2 pairs of 3D glasses at 60.5K.
I did try to bargain hard, I could only bring him down by this much.

Please let me know if I have been made to pay a higher amount. They have assured me saying that they will match the price for any better quotation for next one week
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:27   #5634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Would you spend the extra 20K on a 50-inch plasma for a Panasonic over samsung?
Yes, @devarshi-bhai, I would - but that is me. Sometimes price takes second place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn
... 42ST30D with 2 pairs of 3D glasses at 60".5K ...
Please let me know if I have been made to pay a higher amount. ...
59K for the set + 1.5K for the goggles that costs 6K - not a bad deal, right? Congratulations!

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd June 2012 at 22:37.
Old 24th June 2012, 00:07   #5635
BHPian

People, Romans, Gurus, lend me your ears!!

Am on a lookout for a flat screen for sometime, and now is the time that I would like to see my desires take solid form. As with a lot of others, I am confused and hence seek your help. I would like to state the following doubts for clarification (please):

1. Going over this thread for quite a while now, I gather that as far as PQ is concerned, Pana Plasma is the way to go. However, I have a few reservations on them:
(a) I have a transferable job and shift home every 1-3 years. I have heard the Plasmas are prone to gas leakage. In fact a TV showroom chappie declared that they have stopped selling plasmas because gas is leaking out within 3 years in normal circumstances. So is the frequent journeys in bumpy trucks likely to adversely affect the screen?
(b) I am looking for a 42" NON 3 D but full HD plasma...are any of this variety still being made?

2. In case plasma is not the thing for me, what then should I go for LCD or LED?

3. By budget is 40K to 50K

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by neel385 : 24th June 2012 at 00:08.
Old 24th June 2012, 09:26   #5636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385
People, Romans, Gurus, lend me your ears!!

Am on a lookout for a flat screen for sometime, and now is the time that I would like to see my desires take solid form. As with a lot of others, I am confused and hence seek your help. I would like to state the following doubts for clarification (please):

1. Going over this thread for quite a while now, I gather that as far as PQ is concerned, Pana Plasma is the way to go. However, I have a few reservations on them:
(a) I have a transferable job and shift home every 1-3 years. I have heard the Plasmas are prone to gas leakage. In fact a TV showroom chappie declared that they have stopped selling plasmas because gas is leaking out within 3 years in normal circumstances. So is the frequent journeys in bumpy trucks likely to adversely affect the screen?
(b) I am looking for a 42" NON 3 D but full HD plasma...are any of this variety still being made?

2. In case plasma is not the thing for me, what then should I go for LCD or LED?

3. By budget is 40K to 50K

Thanks in advance!
I have had an HD LCD for 5 years odd now. 40 inches Samsung. Very good quality indeed. Tata Sky HD Plus reception and the standard dvds viewed using my Hdmi dvd player are perfect.
I ve been checking recently for an upgrade for the guest room at home, from the old Sony CRT which is there. I have looked at Sony, Samsung and Panasonic Viera - LCDs and LEDs only.

Sony is best but costs a lot.
Samsung comes second and is reasonable.
panasonic comes third but is very reasonable.

i will not buy Plasma because it consumes much more power and I am told by all my friends that the technology is now out of date.
There is very little really to choose between the better class LCD and LED, the only difference being that LED TVs appear quite slim and apparently have black screens, which enhance the pictures.

I understand it may be significantly cheaper to simply bring a 32 to 40 incher LED from South East Asia or from Dubai whenever one goes there next. The savings on these TV's are about 9 to 10k at least!
Old 24th June 2012, 09:48   #5637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik

I bought Sony 40'' EX520 LED TV last month only. it's really a cool piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV

....Samsung 5 series & got it mainly over the Sony because of the refresh rate of 100Hz plus the Smart Tv & Hub & yes it's been a good buy. Design is really beautiful.
Thanks guys! I ended up buying a Sony 40" EX720. Somebody flying in from UAE got it for me, hence it fitted my budget. The box says the TV has valid warranty in India.

Last edited by bloodred : 24th June 2012 at 09:49.
Old 24th June 2012, 10:26   #5638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred

Thanks guys! I ended up buying a Sony 40" EX720. Somebody flying in from UAE got it for me, hence it fitted my budget. The box says the TV has valid warranty in India.
How much did you pay as duty at the airport? I am also planning to get a 40 inch LED TV from Dubai if the duty is not very high.
Old 24th June 2012, 10:35   #5639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77

How much did you pay as duty at the airport? I am also planning to get a 40 inch LED TV from Dubai if the duty is not very high.
I am yet to check with the person who got it for me. Will PM you.
Old 24th June 2012, 11:18   #5640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
I am yet to check with the person who got it for me. Will PM you.
I would also be interested in the price difference and duty paid at Indian airport on arrival.

Most Viewed