Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 16:30   #5461
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Thanks!
I will update, hopefully by tomorrow when I will have the TV.

BTW, any idea how I can check if my current set-top box supports HD or not?
I have Airtel.
Old 8th May 2012, 16:58   #5462
Senior - BHPian

It will definitely say "HD" on the front of the box. And there has to be a HDMI out at the back.
Old 8th May 2012, 19:40   #5463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
It will definitely say "HD" on the front of the box. And there has to be a HDMI out at the back.
Thanks, I will check this.
If it's not an HD box, then I will have to buy another...one thing leads to another!!!

BTW, from the internet I found that Videocon d2h is the only service provider as of today to run a 3D HD channel (that too with some test transmission). Anyone has experienced this? Should I go for this?

BTW - I am asking for the latest piece of LG 42LW6500. They have an October 2011 piece which is the latest in their stock, a couple of others are June 2011. All are unused and box packed. From LG website and other reviews I gather that the latest software version for 42LW6500 is 04.04.03 that was released sometime in Oct 2011! Any idea if I should insist that this should be loaded? Anyone has upgraded the software? How does it go?
Old 9th May 2012, 10:41   #5464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks, I will check this.

BTW, from the internet I found that Videocon d2h is the only service provider as of today to run a 3D HD channel (that too with some test transmission). Anyone has experienced this? Should I go for this?
Yes Videocon d2h is the only DTH service with 3D content. Though I have not personally checked the contents remember seeing a review of it on NDTV Gadget Guru, as per them it was mostly the same videos being played over and over. They were showing some program regarding magic tricks then. I guess will be sometime before proper programs will start to be played. However, I guess by then other DTH operators will also be launching their own 3D channel. I know Tata Sky HD box supports 3D content, ie what their website claims. Though I am not sure if there should be any seperate hardware/ software requirement for set top box for 3D channels.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:02   #5465
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally bought LG 42LW6500 for 79K.

I need to buy HD set top box. The SD picture quality is not very good - very grainy. Need to do something about it. Tried some picture tuning but could not make much difference. Watching regular channels is going to be a pain. I set the ratio to "original" so that at least the objects appear proportionate.

Can not comment on the HD and 3D picture quality until I have the HD connection and some 3D movides/disk.

Why can't these LCDs/LEDs match the good old CRT picture quality straight out of box
Old 10th May 2012, 13:20   #5466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why can't these LCDs/LEDs match the good old CRT picture quality straight out of box
Its the same or better transmission. You are now watching it on a display that is almost 4 times the area of a 21" CRT.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:11   #5467
BHPian

Quote:
Finally bought LG 42LW6500 for 79K.

I need to buy HD set top box. The SD picture quality is not very good - very grainy. Need to do something about it. Tried some picture tuning but could not make much difference. Watching regular channels is going to be a pain. I set the ratio to "original" so that at least the objects appear proportionate.

Can not comment on the HD and 3D picture quality until I have the HD connection and some 3D movides/disk.

The picture quality also depends on the input connection that you provide to your TV. In order of increasing output quality, starting from the worst to the best, following is the list of inputs into your TV:

Co-Axial (direct cable) -> S-Video -> VGA -> Composite (RCA) -> Component (RGB) -> DVI -> HDMI
Old 10th May 2012, 15:25   #5468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Its the same or better transmission. You are now watching it on a display that is almost 4 times the area of a 21" CRT.
OKay, so if I have a 42'' CRT, would it SD look equally bad?
And I have set aspect ratio to "Original", and I see the picture uses part of the screen (and area used is different for each channel). Can I also specify somewhere to limit the output to 21", for example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
The picture quality also depends on the input connection that you provide to your TV. In order of increasing output quality, starting from the worst to the best, following is the list of inputs into your TV:

Co-Axial (direct cable) -> S-Video -> VGA -> Composite (RCA) -> Component (RGB) -> DVI -> HDMI
I have connected to AV1 - 2 audio jacks (white and red) and 1 video jack (yellow) - is this Composit? Is it better than S-Video???
Old 11th May 2012, 14:15   #5469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue
Anybody here using the wifi dongle/adaptor for Panasonic LED tvs? What is the name or serial number of the adaptor?. Iam not getting it here in my town. The TV shop fellow only says "it is coming sir" since one week
Finally got the Wifi adaptor for my Panasonic LED from letsbuy.com. Works very well with my BSNL wireless modem. Internet speed is the only limitation.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:06   #5470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Finally got the Wifi adaptor for my Panasonic LED from letsbuy.com. Works very well with my BSNL wireless modem. Internet speed is the only limitation.
Please share the link. i am interested in buying it for my 40'' Sony EX 520.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:08   #5471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Nice. Was looking for one for my Samsung LED but was confused whther buying one from online wouldn't be compatible & have to spend 2.2k on the Samsung provided one. Did you check any compatibility "feature" before buying?
Old 11th May 2012, 18:56   #5472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik

Please share the link. i am interested in buying it for my 40'' Sony EX 520.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV

Nice. Was looking for one for my Samsung LED but was confused whther buying one from online wouldn't be compatible & have to spend 2.2k on the Samsung provided one. Did you check any compatibility "feature" before buying?
For Panasonic, the specific model is Netgear N600 WNDA 3100 dual band wireless adapter. I got the info from Panasonic brandshop in Mangalore and searched online. Costs Rs 3350/-
My TV retailer in Udupi promised to get it for 2800 without bill and warranty. But even after a month, there was no trace of it. It was the brandshop guy who advised me to look online.

For Sony and Samsung, please get the compatible model details from respective supports before ordering online.

I think IronH4WK has the adapter for Sony

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-image3652772934.jpg
Old 12th May 2012, 20:29   #5473
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to buy a new TV and 40" Sony EX520 is on top of the list. The next option is the 32" Sony NX520. There's a ~20K price difference between the two. Considering that my next TV change will be 8 or 10 years down the line, I'm thinking the premium is OK. Do you guys think it's really worth it? Also, it's one thing planning to change the TV after 10 years, but do these LCD/LED TVs really last that long? My 11+ year old Philips 21" CRT TV is still going strong - and not a single issue in these 11 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
for my 40'' Sony EX 520.
Can you please share your feedback on this model.
Old 13th May 2012, 00:16   #5474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky
Can you please share your feedback on this model.
Close your eyes and buy it. You won't regret. Only issue is, it won't play .mkv files. Rest everything is more than what we expect.
Old 13th May 2012, 20:18   #5475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik
Close your eyes and buy it. You won't regret. Only issue is, it won't play .mkv files. Rest everything is more than what we expect.
I just purchased 46" sony EX 52 LED model and quite satisfied with its performance further i was in the mood to go for a 3D model but the sales guy said its useless to buy it as per his customer feed back nearly 95% of them who bought 3D never watched it regularly as content for it is very limited.

This model is internet ready but the sony service guy says even after connecting the wifi dongle i will be able to access only the preloaded entertainment sites is it true that i can't get intoTeambhp site or any other sites of my choice its very urgent pls clarify thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks