Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2012, 15:20   #5356
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Looks like LCD/LED panels are going to be cheaper now. Does anyone have the exact details about the expected reduction in prices?
Old 16th March 2012, 16:00   #5357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Looks like LCD/LED panels are going to be cheaper now. Does anyone have the exact details about the expected reduction in prices?
I guess the customs duty is reduced for lcd/led tvs! i wonder if plasma TVs too fall under this category?? Also will the hike in excise duty be applicable to tvs as well?? I mean will the 2% extra be charged on tvs or are tvs exempt from this??
Old 16th March 2012, 21:26   #5358
BHPian

Uh i am not very sure the prices are going downward. I believe it's going to move in the other direction

LCD, LED prices to go up by 2-4% - The Times of India
Old 16th March 2012, 22:48   #5359
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I don't know much about flat panel TV. I am looking to buy the BRAVIA KDL-26EX420 LED. Any idea how good or bad is it?

KDL-26EX420 : EX420 Series : BRAVIA

Also, is it worth getting the LED over LCD? The LCD will be BRAVIA KLV-26BX320.

KLV-26BX320 : BX320 Series : BRAVIA

Not looking at any other brand.
Old 17th March 2012, 11:05   #5360
BHPian

Hey guys need some help. Has anyone bought Tvs from ebay india?? I was interested in this tv SONY BRAVIA KDL-46CX520 LCD TV WITH BILL +DEALER WARNTY | eBay because it cost way lower than what the dealers in Goa are selling!(around 66k!!).Before i contact the seller i wanted to know from you'll guys about warranty and returns! What is dealers warranty(any negatives??)?? I have never bought something is expensive from any online store, hence my apprehensions
If all goes well then my friend too will Buy a tv with me

If this has been explained in some previous post then please excuse me!

Thanks!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 17th March 2012 at 11:06.
Old 17th March 2012, 14:57   #5361
BHPian

Want some expert opinion on buying a 32inch LCD / LED edge-lit LCD in the Rs.30-34k range. I have done some basic research and the Samsung is currently on top due to DLNA and extra HDMI and USB ports (not that I will use all - but are there for future connections/gadgets), plus it has 40W+Woofer which sounded good. I'm not loyal to any brand - have a mix of Samsung, Sony, Philips & Akai electronics at home. But somehow am not too attracted to LG. There are no major requirements w.r.t. resolution, sound or connectivity - the only thing is that DLNA with wi-fi capability expands the TVs media capability, plus my dad recently bought a Galaxy S plus smartphone - which with a Samsung All-share TV can be used to stream media and be used as a second remote if the need be.

From the comparison also Samsung seems to be the best option, but others offer the LED edge lit option - am also attracted to Panasonic as it also offers the DLNA option, but it is not Full HD whereas all the other in this comparison are.

One more thing - can I connect a Netgear wireless router to the TV and stream content from my computer (I believe we can stream it through Windows Media Player 12). If so, then how? -
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-1.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-2.jpg  

Old 17th March 2012, 15:06   #5362
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got the Panasonic 42" Plasma !

Here's the pricing information:
Panasonic 42" Plasma TH-P42ST30D + 2 3D Glasses (EY303) = 60k (inclusive of all taxes)

Also bought a V-Guard Stabiliser Digi 200 for 4.5k

The TV is awesome, in Run-In mode now.
Getting a demo of Hathway HD Set Top Box later this weekend.
Old 18th March 2012, 14:48   #5363
BHPian

Okay people after one about 10 days of ownership of the Panasonic P42U30D here is my review.

I was buying my first Flat Panel TV, to replace my Made in Japan 29" Akai CRT with Top mounted Woofer. This was for a small 12 Ft X 11 Ft bedroom and initially I was wondering if 40 / 42" would be too big for this room. The viewing distance was 8-9 ft so I decided I will go in for this size.
Next decision was whether to go in for a Samsung 40" LED or the Panasonic 42" Plasma. If I was going in for a Plasma I really wanted a Full HD 1920 X 1080 Display. The only model which was Full HD and No 3D was P42U30D, but this was not available anywhere. Finally I got it and I have been using it for around 10 days.

I have got my set top box upgraded to a Tata Sky HD+ Box. Initially I ordered a box without recording but when the engineers came to install it I got to know that they need a second cable for this box, and I really did not want another cable running to my room so I told them to get me a HD box without recording which uses the one existing cable.

The picture quality is really good in the HD Channels. The normal channels are as good as my earlier CRT. I have set the color & Contrast to 30 each and there is not eye fatigue at all. The colors are really realistic, and there is no motion blur at all.

Audio is average with nothing to write home about. It does not come close to the my Akai CRT with the top mounted woofer though.

I connected the TV to my router through a LAN Cable, it instantly picked up an IP Address and Internet was enabled.

Now the next thing I needed was to be able to browse the 4 TB of my media (Mainly movies) on the PC and play it. The TV is DLNA compliant, and that would be the way to go. The question was what DLNA Server to run on the PC.

I first tried the Twonky Media Server, recommended in the documentation of the TV. It could browse and play the video files except the MKV files. It would not list them at all.

Next I tried the Windows Media Player 12, in a Windows 7 OS. This media server was detected too, and I could browse and play media, again except the MKV files. With a little tweaking I could get the video of the MKV files, but the TV would say "Audio Not Supported".

By now I figured out that the MKV files I was unable to play used the DTS Audio Encoding and the TV does not support it. The Viera Media Player supports only Dolby.

The solution to this was to use a DLNA Server which would transcode the Unsupported media files to a format supported by the TV. I tried the Play Station III Media Player and it works. With little tweaking I could play the MKV files. The playback has niggles like some files will still not play, or while forwarding it would just stop and go back to the directory listing.

Basically my requirements are met, I have a TV with a very good picture quality with realistic colors and no motion blur. I can play the media content on my PC through the wired Network Connection, so I I am pretty satisfied about that.

I hope this helps.

Styler.

Last edited by Styler : 18th March 2012 at 14:49.
Old 18th March 2012, 17:28   #5364
Senior - BHPian

I am too planning my second flat panel, i have shortlisted these
1) Toshiba Regza 40" Led 40PS20
2) LG 42" Led 42LV3500
3) Sony 40" Led KDL 40ex520
4) Panasonic Viera 42" Thl423ed (My other Flat is a 2007 Viera HD)
or
Toshiba 46" Full HD LCD 46pb20e (Just because of its Size)
They all are in range of 45K to 55K.
Any suggestions which would be a better deal
Old 24th March 2012, 23:10   #5365
BHPian

I recently replaced my 25 " CRT tv with a Panasonic 32" HD Ready lcd tv. The regular cable connection that i was using earlier now looks pathetic on lcd. What should be the best option for me ? 1 ) Buy a Set top box and continue with the same same cable connection or 2) Buy a DTH connection ?

Also what do we do with the aspect ratio as 16:9 appear stretched.
Old 25th March 2012, 10:20   #5366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327
I recently replaced my 25 " CRT tv with a Panasonic 32" HD Ready lcd tv. The regular cable connection that i was using earlier now looks pathetic on lcd. What should be the best option for me ? 1 ) Buy a Set top box and continue with the same same cable connection or 2) Buy a DTH connection ?

Get a dth hd. The hd channels will look brilliant on your panasonic. The aspect ratio will match as well. Hence, images won't appear stretched.

For sd signals, you can try the 'just' aspect ratio in your panasonic tv. It doesn't stretch the centre of the image and hence gives an illusion of a non stretched image.
Old 25th March 2012, 11:13   #5367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post

this is something i noticed in TataSky+ - by default the image aspect is 4:3, but you can change this to 16:9 (Organiser > System Settings > Picture Settings > Picture Format). the image doesn't look stretched once set on 16:9.
Old 25th March 2012, 11:20   #5368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post

I have no idea of Panasonic, but in the Tata Sky there is an option for selecting the aspect ratio. One of the options retains the original aspect ratio, so that HD covers the whole screen, while the normal 4:3 aspect channels are displayed in the centre with two bands of unused portions on left and right of the screen.

In case you are viewing 4:3 channels predominantly, you will need a bigger screen as the real estate is now 12:9 and not 16:9, hence your effective size reduces horizontally.

Base on the Vertical Picture size. effectively a replacement for
20" CRT will be 25" (same height=12")
25" CRT will be 31" (same height=15")
30" CRT will be 37" (same height=18")
35" CRT will be 43" (same height=21")
The sizes are rounded to next inch.
Old 25th March 2012, 14:05   #5369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
For sd signals, you can try the 'just' aspect ratio in your panasonic tv. It doesn't stretch the centre of the image and hence gives an illusion of a non stretched image.
I set the aspect ratio to 'just' but there seems to be no difference between this and 16:9. When I set it to 14:9 it does not look stretched, but it loses scroll bar news at the bottom and a bit of image at the top as well. Is there any other setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is something i noticed in TataSky+ - by default the image aspect is 4:3, but you can change this to 16:9 (Organiser > System Settings > Picture Settings > Picture Format). the image doesn't look stretched once set on 16:9.
I haven't got a dth connection as yet. But are you sure if tatasky is 4:3 by default?
Contrary to what you have said, for me the image appears stretched only when I set it to 16:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Base on the Vertical Picture size. effectively a replacement for
20" CRT will be 25" (same height=12")
25" CRT will be 31" (same height=15")
30" CRT will be 37" (same height=18")
35" CRT will be 43" (same height=21")
The sizes are rounded to next inch.
Sorry I could not get the point across :(
Old 25th March 2012, 14:08   #5370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327
I set the aspect ratio to 'just' but there seems to be no difference between this and 16:9. When I set it to 14:9 it does not look stretched, but it loses scroll bar news at the bottom and a bit of image at the top as well. Is there any other setting?

I haven't got a dth connection as yet. But are you sure if tatasky is 4:3 by default?
Contrary to what you have said, for me the image appears stretched only when I set it to 16:9

Sorry I could not get the point across :(
The thing is you have to live with the stretched image for sd signals. I just use the 16:9 mode. After a few months, got used to that.

We can pray for all channels to become hd some time soon. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks