Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 18:05   #5326
BHPian

Re: Media Remote app for Sony BRAVIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
we got the BRAVIA KDL-40EX520 back in September last year, but could get our hands on the wifi dongle for it only this evening (it wasn't available till now)....
IronH4WK, I have my Sony TV(Kdl32ex720) connected via lan cable to a wi-fi modem. I have my android mobile connected to the same network. Would the SONY media remote app work in this case. Please advice, as I do not want to buy a wi-fi dongle seperately especially after spending so much on the TV.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th March 2012 at 21:19. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 5th March 2012, 18:54   #5327
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Guys what do you think of VIERA TH-P42X30D | Panasonic for home use.. The room size is 24x14
PS: Will any wifi usb adapter work with this ?
If you're not on a tight budget you may want to consider TH-P42ST30D (I've shortlisted this to buy soon).

I don't think any USB wi-fi dongle will work, it is proprietary to the manufacturer so you will need the one from Panasonic.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th March 2012 at 10:53. Reason: edited as requested.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:42   #5328
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks who bought the Panasonic Plasma TH-P42ST30D recently, please help:
The best price I could find in this thread was 56K/57K.
Did this include the wi-fi dongle ? And how many 3D glasses were included as part of the deal ?

I was offered (in Bangalore) 63K including 2 glasses. The wi-fi dongle would be an additional 4K
(Not sure if pricing varies based on state/city)
Old 7th March 2012, 20:00   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Re: Media Remote app for Sony BRAVIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
IronH4WK, I have my Sony TV(Kdl32ex720) connected via lan cable to a wi-fi modem. I have my android mobile connected to the same network. Would the SONY media remote app work in this case. Please advice, as I do not want to buy a wi-fi dongle seperately especially after spending so much on the TV.
hardline or wireless, it just needs to be on the same network. if both your TV and phone are on the same network, the app should work.

the problem i had was that my WiFi router was in one of our bedrooms and the TV in the drawing room; didn't want to pull a long Ethernet cable across the house
Old 8th March 2012, 14:45   #5330
Senior - BHPian

guess which is the browser used in Bravia!
Name:  IMG_1044.JPG
Views: 1004
Size:  102.7 KB
yep, its Opera. found out this morning when i got that error
Old 9th March 2012, 18:23   #5331
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I have a Sony KDL-46CX520 and looking to go for a Soundbar with wifi Sub-woofer, can you please suggest a good one? Have any of you used the Soundbar from Sony?

Recently saw an offer on Philips soundbar at letsbuy.com, but considering the discount was about 50% I wasn't too sure about the quality!

Please help!

Cheers,
si1ver0ne
Old 9th March 2012, 20:24   #5332
Senior - BHPian

I have heard a Yamaha sound bar and it was very very good.
I am not sure if we get it in India. Kindly search techradar website, they have a decent review of soundbar speakers.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 10:37   #5333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks who bought the Panasonic Plasma TH-P42ST30D recently, please help:
The best price I could find in this thread was 56K/57K.
Did this include the wi-fi dongle ? And how many 3D glasses were included as part of the deal ?

I was offered (in Bangalore) 63K including 2 glasses. The wi-fi dongle would be an additional 4K
(Not sure if pricing varies based on state/city)
Hi,

I bought the Plasma for 57k, it included only one 3D glass. Generally as per the company website, they give only one 3D glass with the tv set.

No wifi dongle was offered with it.

I think the price of a 3D glass is appx 8-10k MRP, so i think you have a good deal there. Try to include the wifi dongle within 65k, and you should be good to go.

Hope this helped.
racingmachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 12:33   #5334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
For all those who are looking out to buy wifi dongles, I would suggest you buy the universal wifi adapters instead, all you need is just a network port and it will work, since these are universal they will work with any device that has a network port and these are cheap too

Wnce2001

WNCE3001

RBP, so i can use this with my Samsung led tv & don't have to buy the ones the ones they provide at 2k then.
Do i buy this off flipkart? Any idea about the pricing?
& I haven't got myself a router yet & was looking at D-link, so will i have to check their "compatibility" before i go ahead with either?
Old 10th March 2012, 12:59   #5335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
For all those who are looking out to buy wifi dongles, I would suggest you buy the universal wifi adapters instead, all you need is just a network port and it will work, since these are universal they will work with any device that has a network port and these are cheap too

Wnce2001

WNCE3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
RBP, so i can use this with my Samsung led tv & don't have to buy the ones the ones they provide at 2k then.
& I haven't got myself a router yet & was looking at D-link, so will i have to check their "compatibility" before i go ahead with either?
you might wanna be careful with buying universal WiFi dongles. when the UWA-BR100 wasn't available for my BRAVIA i did think of getting one of these, but later searching a bit on Google i found that the universal WiFi dongle doesn't work with the BRAVIA.

verify if your TV/HT will work with the universal WiFi dongle before you purchase it. don't wanna be stuck with a paper weight, now do we?
Old 10th March 2012, 13:33   #5336
BHPian

Hi,

After Flipkart cancelled my order for the Panasonic P42U30D I had put everything on hold because the P42U30D wasn't available anywhere.

I started exploring other options and the next best thing in my budget was to buy the Samsung Series 5 40" LED Model UA40D5500RR. The cost at stores and Flipkart was out of my budget at about 60,000. I found this model in the Grey Market was costing around 40,000. This is a good deal and I would rather pay 20,000 less than get the short 1 year official Samsung Warranty. These TVs dont go bad in the first year anyways.

Now I almost finalized going in for this, and I suddenly found the Panasonic P42U30D at a Panasonic Store for 43,000 with the official 3 year warranty.

Now I am confused again, so people what would you recommend the Samsung LED 40" UA40D5500RR from the Grey Market for 40,000 or the Official Panasonic P42U30D for 43,000.

I have to wall mount it on the wall in my bedroom in front of my bed, and the viewing distance would be around 8 - 9 feet. There is a Tube light on the wall behind the bed and it might reflect off the TV Screen.

Styler
Old 10th March 2012, 14:28   #5337
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
The universal wifi adaptor that I have mentioned will work with any device[not just a TV] that has a LAN port. It is not as cheap as 2k here in India, flipkart says around 5K Flipkart: Netgear WNCE2001 Universal Wi-Fi: Usb Adaptor, on Amazon u will get it for 59$. If you want to stream HD movies than look for Netgear WNCE3001, it is a dual band adaptor. As for router all depends on what your needs are, if you want the best, here is one Flipkart: Asus RT-N56U Stylish Concurrent Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router: Router, you can connect your HDD to this one and get your movies streamed, it also has a torrent downloaded inbuilt into it, this is a very very powerful router, one of the best out there, absolutely worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
you might wanna be careful with buying universal WiFi dongles. when the UWA-BR100 wasn't available for my BRAVIA i did think of getting one of these, but later searching a bit on Google i found that the universal WiFi dongle doesn't work with the BRAVIA.

verify if your TV/HT will work with the universal WiFi dongle before you purchase it. don't wanna be stuck with a paper weight, now do we?
@IronH4WK :- What you say is right universal wifi dongles dont work with every TV, but my friend the device I have suggested isnt a dongle, it is an wifi adaptor, dongle's connect to USB port, this one connects to LAN port and the power can be supplied to it from one of the TV's USB ports, no need of speparate power line for it.
Old 10th March 2012, 16:04   #5338
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Now I almost finalized going in for this, and I suddenly found the Panasonic P42U30D at a Panasonic Store for 43,000 with the official 3 year warranty.

Now I am confused again, so people what would you recommend the Samsung LED 40" UA40D5500RR from the Grey Market for 40,000 or the Official Panasonic P42U30D for 43,000.

I have to wall mount it on the wall in my bedroom in front of my bed, and the viewing distance would be around 8 - 9 feet. There is a Tube light on the wall behind the bed and it might reflect off the TV Screen.Styler
You have 2 decisions to make here, some points for you to consider:
1. Plasma Vs LED
If the tube light is going to be switched on mostly, you may want to choose LED since you will not see the reflection of the tube light on the TV screen.
If you watch a lot of sports & movies and you can keep the light switched off (need to have/plan for an alternate light somewhere else in the room that's not as bright as the tube light) then Plasma may be better.
(Also Picture Quality with Plasma is always better).
If you do decide on the Plasma, make sure you get good quality heavy-duty wall mounts (with swivel) since Plasma TV's are heavier than LED TV's.

2. Grey market (with limited/no warranty) Vs Authorised dealer (with 3 year warranty as in the case of Panasonic)
This one is quite simple - when you're spending 40+K on a TV, you will be better off with the 3 year warranty !

Note:The models you are comparing do not have same screen size - LED is 40" and Plasma is 42". Again, I would choose the 42" Plasma

Hope this helps.

Last edited by NPV : 10th March 2012 at 16:08.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 20:39   #5339
BHPian

Finally got my Panasonic P42U30D. It is installed on the Wall.
Luckily the viewing angle is such that there is no glare of the Tube Light behind at all.

Updated the firmware to the latest Ver 2015 from the existing Ver 2010.

I have paid Rs 4815 for the Upgrade of my Tata Sky Normal connection to the Tata Sky HD+. It will be installed tomorrow.

I have connected the LAN Port to my Router, and it has taken up an IP Address and is connected to the Internet.

Now if there are any other P42U30 / P42X30D Users here I have a couple of questions.

1. Is DLNA the only way to browse and play the movies on a Shared drive of a PC. In this case I will DLNA enable the PC. This will work through the LAN Port (Not using Wireless Dongle) right ?

2. Does Viera Remote for Iphone work for the P42U30D? The Panasonic site ( VIERA TV models supporting VIERA remote | TV | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global ) does not list this model in the supported models for Viera Remote for Iphone / Ipad.

Thanks everybody specially NPV for all your help and advice.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 11th March 2012 at 20:40.
Old 11th March 2012, 20:55   #5340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler
Finally got my Panasonic P42U30D. It is installed on the Wall.
Luckily the viewing angle is such that there is no glare of the Tube Light behind at all.

Updated the firmware to the latest Ver 2015 from the existing Ver 2010.

I have paid Rs 4815 for the Upgrade of my Tata Sky Normal connection to the Tata Sky HD+. It will be installed tomorrow.

I have connected the LAN Port to my Router, and it has taken up an IP Address and is connected to the Internet.

Now if there are any other P42U30 / P42X30D Users here I have a couple of questions.

1. Is DLNA the only way to browse and play the movies on a Shared drive of a PC. In this case I will DLNA enable the PC. This will work through the LAN Port (Not using Wireless Dongle) right ?

2. Does Viera Remote for Iphone work for the P42U30D? The Panasonic site ( VIERA TV models supporting VIERA remote | TV | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global ) does not list this model in the supported models for Viera Remote for Iphone / Ipad.

Thanks everybody specially NPV for all your help and advice.

Styler
Congrats on bringing home one of the best displays available on market :-)

I own a panasonic 42X30D

1.I've tried dlna on wired connection. But, it should work over wireless as well ( even though, not as reliable as wired )

2. Never tried it, since I'm on android :-)

But having used similar utilities for my asus media box, I'm not a great fan of such utilities. The tv remote is the best. :-)
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks