Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 09:04   #5296
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
VFM Led-Lcd tv buy the Panasonic E series or the D series, have all features mentioned by you and 3 year warranty to boot.
If you want to go the plasma way get Panasonic TH-P42ST30D @ 56K and 3 year warranty a beautiful panel to bring home and the PQ is outstanding.
Thanks @Khoj & @Sn1p3r

Did a quick check at the LG shoppe and Panasonic brand shop yesterday. Here's what I saw with initial 'off the shelf' pricing that was quoted - can be considered a shortlist for now.
LG:
42LV3730 - LED LCD, Smart TV, Refresh rate 60Hz, Lower Dynamic Contrast Ratio. Price 58K.
*in this list only for 'contradictory evidence'/range to compare and choose from

42LV5500 - LED LCD, Smart TV. Price 60K.

42LW5700 - LED LCD, Cinema 3D Smart TV. Polarised glasses for 3D viewing. Glasses are cheap, set of 3 free with the TV, additional pack of 4 glasses @ under 2k. Price 78K.

Panasonic:
TH-L42E3D - LED LCD, Smart Viera, Refresh rate 60Hz, Lower Dynamic Contrast. Price 66K.
*in this list only for 'contradictory evidence'/range to compare and choose from

TH-L42E30D - LED LCD, Smart Viera. Price 73K.

TH-P42ST30D - Plasma, 3D Smart Viera. Price 63K. 3D Eyewear (glasses) are expensive, quoted almost 5K for a pair !

Questions:
1. Is it worth going for 3D now ? I think this will probably be the one time I will buy such a TV so why not go for it now ? Deterrents are thoughts about harmful effect on eyes, etc (don't know)
2. The number of ports I think is better in Panasonic - 4 HDMI, 3 USB while LG has 3 or 4 HDMI, 1 or 2 USB depending on model. Would be good if someone could help me do this comparison of ports better.
3. LED Vs Plasma confusion - If I were to choose between the LG LED LCD 3D TV model 42LW5700 and Panasonic Plasma 3D TV model TH-P42ST30D which one would you recommend ?
Are the plasma days over (don't know) ? Plasma Picture quality was awesome but did not get a demo of 3D content yet.

Sorry for the long post

Last edited by NPV : 26th February 2012 at 09:09. Reason: corrected typos
Old 26th February 2012, 09:36   #5297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Questions:
1. Is it worth going for 3D now ? I think this will probably be the one time I will buy such a TV so why not go for it now ? Deterrents are thoughts about harmful effect on eyes, etc (don't know)
2. The number of ports I think is better in Panasonic - 4 HDMI, 3 USB while LG has 3 or 4 HDMI, 1 or 2 USB depending on model. Would be good if someone could help me do this comparison of ports better.
3. LED Vs Plasma confusion - If I were to choose between the LG LED LCD 3D TV model 42LW5700 and Panasonic Plasma 3D TV model TH-P42ST30D which one would you recommend ?
Hey, some answers to your questions. Plasma days aren't over yet. Plasma provides best picture quality for a given price. My advise would be to stay away from LCD and either consider LED or Plasma. I had posted few links on the same subject on this thread when i was choosing which one to buy.

Bought a plasma. Panasonic 1.5 years back, its awesome and we love it. If you are interested in live demo, we can make a trip to my home after office.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 16:47   #5298
Senior - BHPian

Plasmas are here to stay for some more time due to their superior PQ, which the current day LED LCD panels are not able to match. In time the OLED technology will overshadow the PDP.

As for the 3D effect, well though my PDP has 3D capability, I do not have a 3D player and do not plan to buy one as the demonstrations on different panels during the purchase process left me unimpressed. Then again some of the other guys who bought the panels in our group buy (we picked up 15+ 50VT20Ds from a single counter in Dilli and nearly thrice the number across the nation) ordered 3D players specifically to go with the new panels. Suggest you have a dekho at Mayank's place. Actually this is a moot point as now a days almost all panels come equipped with the 3D tech built in.

The practical way to decide between the Plasma and the LED+LCD panels is to look at the power consumption and the hours of usage, so that you can look at your monthly outgo. On an average a 50" plasma panel consumes approximately 350W maximum and an LEDLCD panel of the same size will have a max consumption of 170W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
LED Vs Plasma confusion - If I were to choose between the LG LED LCD 3D TV model 42LW5700 and Panasonic Plasma 3D TV model TH-P42ST30D which one would you recommend ?
Are the plasma days over (don't know) ? Plasma Picture quality was awesome but did not get a demo of 3D content yet.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 17:27   #5299
BHPian

Hi friends.

Need suggestions:

Requirement: 32 Inch. No idea about LCD/LED/PLASMA (Please suggest). Hall size is 20 feet length and 10 feet width. Distance from TV to sofa is 9.5 feet.

Please suggest me a good TV with good resolution,Dynamic Ratio, Back light Technology and picture engine.
Old 26th February 2012, 18:43   #5300
BHPian

redeemed cashback voucher given along with purchase , i had vouchers worth 8k , thru some contacts at Timeout got cashback . SO i got my panny 42 plasma for only Rs.26.5K
Old 27th February 2012, 10:59   #5301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi friends.

Requirement: 32 Inch. No idea about LCD/LED/PLASMA (Please suggest). Hall size is 20 feet length and 10 feet width. Distance from TV to sofa is 9.5 feet.

Please suggest me a good TV with good resolution,Dynamic Ratio, Back light Technology and picture engine.
Please mention your approximate budget.

Also mention your typical usage - watching TV channels (SD/HD), watching movies, gaming etc.

Rohan
Old 27th February 2012, 12:26   #5302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Please mention your approximate budget.

Also mention your typical usage - watching TV channels (SD/HD), watching movies, gaming etc.

Rohan
I am willing to spend within 30k. The viewing is very basic ie.., TV Channels, no gaming or any other modern day usage.I have shortlisted the following two models. Please suggest me.

Flipkart: LG 32 Inches Full HD LCD 32LK430 Television: Television

Flipkart: LG 32 Inches Full HD LCD 32LK450 Television: Television
Old 27th February 2012, 15:30   #5303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am willing to spend within 30k. The viewing is very basic ie.., TV Channels, no gaming or any other modern day usage.I have shortlisted the following two models. Please suggest me.

Flipkart: LG 32 Inches Full HD LCD 32LK430 Television: Television

Flipkart: LG 32 Inches Full HD LCD 32LK450 Television: Television
Are you interested in only Full HD models ? If you are on a tight budget, you could consider HD ready models also.

I purchased this Samsung Series 4 (HD ready) 32 inch LCD last weekend. I went to purchase a Full HD model, but for a screen size of 32 inch, it is very difficult to make out the difference between Full HD or HD ready resolution. Finally purchased HD ready model because I got a good deal on it (MRP was 32k, I got this for 27k).

Flipkart: Samsung 32 Inches HD LCD LA32D450G1 Television: Television

Rohan
Old 27th February 2012, 17:16   #5304
BHPian

Hey guys

A close friend is selling his Sony LED KDL-46EX520 and I am interesting in getting it.
Its just a few days old and since he is not happy with the size he wants to get something bigger than 55".
The price is very cheap and is a mouthwatering deal and another friend is lined up if I don't get it, so its time sensitive.

How is this LED (reviews)?
Is its panel any good?
How is its quality?
Does Sony provide extended warranty/AMC?

How is it compared to Samsung 40D6000?

I know Sony has problems with playing many formats but if DLNA is not enough then I will get a media player in the future so that's not an issue.

Please advise.
Old 27th February 2012, 22:42   #5305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr

Are you interested in only Full HD models ? If you are on a tight budget, you could consider HD ready models also.

I purchased this Samsung Series 4 (HD ready) 32 inch LCD last weekend. I went to purchase a Full HD model, but for a screen size of 32 inch, it is very difficult to make out the difference between Full HD or HD ready resolution. Finally purchased HD ready model because I got a good deal on it (MRP was 32k, I got this for 27k).

Flipkart: Samsung 32 Inches HD LCD LA32D450G1 Television: Television

Rohan
The above said model LG 430 is full HD which costs 26.8k and LG 450 is HD ready which costs around 25k. But the Samsung HD ready which you say is more than LG. Is Samsung better than LG. Is it preferred.
Old 28th February 2012, 04:09   #5306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Hey guys

A close friend is selling his Sony LED KDL-46EX520 and I am interesting in getting it.
Its just a few days old and since he is not happy with the size he wants to get something bigger than 55".
The price is very cheap and is a mouthwatering deal and another friend is lined up if I don't get it, so its time sensitive.

How is this LED (reviews)?
Is its panel any good?
How is its quality?

How is it compared to Samsung 40D6000?

I know Sony has problems with playing many formats but if DLNA is not enough then I will get a media player in the future so that's not an issue.

Please advise.
Get it while you can. Review are favorable. Don't know about extended warranty, you can ask the sony guys who come to install it directly. Those are the ones who enroll you in extended warranty.

Samsung 40D6K is good too, but when you can get a quality 46"er, why settle for less when you can afford it unless the room is quite small for a 46"

Last edited by chevelle : 28th February 2012 at 04:11.
Old 28th February 2012, 09:41   #5307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The above said model LG 430 is full HD which costs 26.8k and LG 450 is HD ready which costs around 25k. But the Samsung HD ready which you say is more than LG. Is Samsung better than LG. Is it preferred.
I purchased from a Samsung store, I didn't purchase online. I am not comfortable with online shopping, especially for such expensive items.

I also checked out these 2 LG models at the LG Shoppe. I liked the Jazz model (430), but they quoted a high price.

Its more of a personal preference, but I feel that Samsung has an edge over LG in LCD TVs (at least in this price range).

Also, I found the contrast to be better in Samsung as compared to LG. (Samsung has a Mega Dynamic Contrast Ratio feature). Again, this is more of a personal preference.

If you are getting LG at a good price, go for it. I would suggest the Jazz model.

Rohan
Old 29th February 2012, 02:05   #5308
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Sony does offer extended warranty of two years. This has to be bought direct from the company. Do check though, whether they will honour the original warranty itself in case of a resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Hey guys

Old 29th February 2012, 15:15   #5309
BHPian

Any views on the panel quality?
Old 29th February 2012, 21:30   #5310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani
Any views on the panel quality?
I have the Sony kdl32ex720 3D tv and i feel the look and build of Sony is far better than others. Sony is built to last.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks